Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

leper khan posted:

what about doing the first one but also spending 12 hours being interviewed?

no thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Rex-Goliath posted:

don't do this

I wouldn't have a couple months ago but every day I get closer to graduating college without a job and having to move back in with my parents. A fate worse than death.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i would rather do 8 hours of programming assignments than spend any amount of time being interviewed

I'd agree but unfortunately I'll probably have to do an interview too

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

da beeper king BABY posted:

Finally, a thread for me. I just spent like four loving hours on a programming assignment for a company I'm not even especially interested in. Why would they inflict this on people? The HR person I talked to on Thursday asked if I could turn it in by the end of the next day, thankfully I lied and said I was too busy to do it that fast lol. And of course they asked me what my preferred salary was. Everything about job hunting loving sucks.

when it comes to take home assignments, in general I would tell them to get stuffed unless I was *really* interested in the job. but as a graduating student you should probably do it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

da beeper king BABY posted:

I wouldn't have a couple months ago but every day I get closer to graduating college without a job and having to move back in with my parents. A fate worse than death.

yeah it took me a bit to realize that 90% of job hunting advice is calibrated for people who are not staring down imminent unemployment

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you werent born with a silver spoon in your mouth just lmao

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

raminasi posted:

yeah it took me a bit to realize that 90% of job hunting advice is calibrated for people who are not staring down imminent unemployment

Keep like twenty k in the bank, coast on that if you need to

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MeruFM posted:

we have a person with the role "distinguished architect"
he has no reports, but reports directly to the VP who reports to CTO

as far as I can tell, he basically plays with new langauges and technologies all day, create demos on the internal enterprise github, and yell at teams for how dumb they are to use some poo poo tier java infrastructure.

as a reclusive goon who can only yell at people instead of "managing" them, how do i get this position

catch a C-level with a dead girl or a live boy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

best bs corporate position these days is "evangelist"

honorable mention to the "futurist" aol had on staff but bs c-level positions are different

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

MeruFM posted:

we have a person with the role "distinguished architect"
he has no reports, but reports directly to the VP who reports to CTO

as far as I can tell, he basically plays with new langauges and technologies all day, create demos on the internal enterprise github, and yell at teams for how dumb they are to use some poo poo tier java infrastructure.

as a reclusive goon who can only yell at people instead of "managing" them, how do i get this position

thats a super good sign that your company will actually recognise individuals at that level without them managing people

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

maniacdevnull posted:

Keep like twenty k in the bank, coast on that if you need to

lmfao who the gently caress can save 20k? lmfao if you didnt sell your soul to fannie mae for the rest of time just to get into your 5th pick school for your worthless degree.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

thats a super good sign that your company will actually recognise individuals at that level without them managing people

it can also be a warning sign. we have "architect fellows" who are people who have been around 20+ years and they make the decisions on what technology we use. you all know what technology i work with. it can be a sign that the company sees rewarding loyalty as more important than promoting new ideas.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

it can also be a warning sign. we have "architect fellows" who are people who have been around 20+ years and they make the decisions on what technology we use. you all know what technology i work with. it can be a sign that the company sees rewarding loyalty as more important than promoting new ideas.

yeah fair enough. i'd like to say thats better than them being people managers still but it depends

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lmfao who the gently caress can save 20k? lmfao if you didnt sell your soul to fannie mae for the rest of time just to get into your 5th pick school for your worthless degree.

what's the big deal, just sell some stock

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The Management posted:

what's the big deal, just sell some stock

I had to do this once, it sucked.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if your mattress isn't stuffed to the brim with cash

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

mishaq posted:

lol if your mattress isn't stuffed to the brim with cash

i hope thats a high interest mattress

personally i like some diversity in my portfolio so i have some in each of my dresser drawers

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i have never in my entire life known what it's like for a family not to have every cent that comes in allocated to something. and thanks to my crippling student debt i proudly carry on that tradition.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

i have never in my entire life known what it's like for a family not to have every cent that comes in allocated to something. and thanks to my crippling student debt i proudly carry on that tradition.

it's pretty great, and I hope you can find a better job soon to join the solvent club

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

if you work as a developer and you can't save 20k then your expenses are too high, stop that

i know you're gonna say "uhh dude i don't make nearly as much money as you think i do" but that's because your company is loving you, not because the expectation is unreasonable

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

you know, despite Glassdoor/PayScale/LinkedIn Salary/etc., I still have no idea how much I should shoot for in my next salary

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

when? before you are 25? 30? 35?

if you make iit 5 years into working as a computer toucher and don't have $20k saved you have not done a good job budgeting.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
^^ i've only been a compooper programmer for like 15 months officially

JewKiller 3000 posted:

if you work as a developer and you can't save 20k then your expenses are too high, stop that

i know you're gonna say "uhh dude i don't make nearly as much money as you think i do" but that's because your company is loving you, not because the expectation is unreasonable

no, it's genuinely the nearly 75k in student debt i had to take on to go to school, on top of the debt i racked up to supplement my income from my 4 jobs in order to feed and house myself while in college. i went to a high school that had no expectations of people going to college so they didn't teach us any kind of skills in getting scholarships and my mom didn't graduate college until after me so i sure didnt learn from her. im paying the price for trying to drag myself up without any real roadmap for how to do that. were finally in a place where we have a set end date for most of this debt, but its been a long time coming. it's not a $input problem, it's a "the past punishing me" problem.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
ah alright that makes sense. well i'm glad you are in a better position now :) and soon your thoughts will be more like "lol who can save 20k? oh yeah, me, right now, gently caress yeah"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

ah alright that makes sense. well i'm glad you are in a better position now :) and soon your thoughts will be more like "lol who can save 20k? oh yeah, me, right now, gently caress yeah"

that's the plan. currently im just in chill mode until my free month-long european vacation paid for by the company, then if the official title+pay upgrade still hasnt happened its aggro-job-hunt time. my boss swears it's supposed to happen any day now though and he just needs to convince our new division manager since my team switched divisions. but i'll believe it when i see it pretty much.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

jerbs

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Maximo Roboto posted:

you know, despite Glassdoor/PayScale/LinkedIn Salary/etc., I still have no idea how much I should shoot for in my next salary

Employers are counting on this

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

pick a number that feels reasonable. then double it.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Maximo Roboto posted:

120k base/200k total comp or 1.5-2x what you make now, whichever is higher.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

i'd want less at risk for a non sales role but otherwise you could do worse than making this your universal default

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
stumbled upon this sketch again and thought of this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP0sqRMzkwo

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

120k- you're in Silicon Valley, aren't you. 1.5-2x would be way to high for SV if you're already at 120k range

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

stumbled upon this sketch again and thought of this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP0sqRMzkwo

my god its a technical interview

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

^^ i've only been a compooper programmer for like 15 months officially

no, it's genuinely the nearly 75k in student debt i had to take on to go to school, on top of the debt i racked up to supplement my income from my 4 jobs in order to feed and house myself while in college. i went to a high school that had no expectations of people going to college so they didn't teach us any kind of skills in getting scholarships and my mom didn't graduate college until after me so i sure didnt learn from her. im paying the price for trying to drag myself up without any real roadmap for how to do that. were finally in a place where we have a set end date for most of this debt, but its been a long time coming. it's not a $input problem, it's a "the past punishing me" problem.

saving money is more important than paying down debt

if something terrible happens, you can always stop servicing the debt, but you can't conjure savings from thin air.

and no, credit cards won't help you either -- the banks are really good at detecting financial distress and killing your accounts.

make the minimum payments until you have a reasonable cushion in cash. at a minimum, three months salary

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

saving money is more important than paying debt

if something terrible happens, you can always stop servicing the debt, but you can't conjure savings from thin air.

do you know what minimum payments are? i ironically make too much money to get any of the reduced options on loans.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

do you know what minimum payments are? i ironically make too much money to get any of the reduced options on loans.

if you can't afford to save $20k, you can't afford your current lifestyle. full stop. start making cuts.

you are broke. if anything goes wrong in your life you could literally end up homeless.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

saving money is more important than paying down debt

and no, credit cards won't help you either -- the banks are really good at detecting financial distress and killing your accounts.

make the minimum payments until you have a reasonable cushion in cash. at a minimum, three months salary

holy poo poo, this. had a pretty bad scare recently and learned real fast i've been too aggressive with paying off debt and not doing near enough saving.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yo budgeting rules, I paid off all my and my wifes student debt in about 16 months after just minimum paying for a few years. Almost debt free hell yeahhhh. All about that budget.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Learn this one weird trick to get your finances in order! Creditors hate this!!!!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i wonder who has the highest net worth in yospos. is threefive still around or did he finally ragequit forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

probably someone in the cat thread

• Locked thread