Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Under the Red Hood and New Frontier are the only ones I truly remember fondly. Obviously the stuff set in the old DC Animated Universe is pretty great. Return of the Joker is excellent.

edit: Gods and Monsters was pretty okay too. Whatever happened to that continuing as a series?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crisis on Two Earths was good.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Was that the one with Owl-Man played by James Woods and the alternate Wonder Woman being aggressively sexual?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Under The Red Hood is the last decent DC movie, and also the only good use ever of Jason Todd.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Was that the one with Owl-Man played by James Woods and the alternate Wonder Woman being aggressively sexual?

I don't know about the second part because I only remember the first.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Chaos Hippy posted:

How much better? War and ToA were awful.

Significantly.

X-O posted:

Under The Red Hood is the last decent DC movie.

Gods and Monsters was fun. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, JL: Doom, JL: The Flashpoint Paradox, and Assault on Arkham are all really good post-Under the Red Hood DC animated films. I'd easily recommend those. Everything else post-Under the Red Hood ranged from ehh to terrible. Wonder Woman is still my favorite/top DC animated movie though. She needs another animated feature. Batman has way too many.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 30, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Return of the Joker was better than all that trash.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, well... you're trash. Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker are above all DC animated universe movies. Don't think anyone would argue otherwise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sub-Zero wasn't even as good as Heart of Ice.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, but...that's like the best episode of an animated show ever, so....

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Reinanigans posted:

It was a big rock...

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That Joker is me

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Reinanigans posted:

That Joker is me

Fair.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
The Avengers Assemble 'Civil War' finale sure was a load of nonsense until they got to the 'twist', whereupon it was just the usual recycled animations and situations, but I do want to comment on two things:

1) Carol Danvers managed to be the head of Team Wrong once again. It's all connected! While there were doubts about the obviously terrible Inhuman Registration Act from the whole new Avengers team (whom they were stuck using as their new Mighty Avengers on the govt's side because the original AA cartoon team had to be the renegades for some reason), these disappeared within the same episode for no reason and yet Carol still stood out. Weird to see T'Challa, Ant-Man and freakin' Kamala Khan on the govt's side too, but the unlikable, overly hotheaded version of Carol in this show, compared to her awesomeness in A:EMH, is still disappointing me.

2) Kamala Khan pulling anime inspired OTT expressions was excellent, and I loved that she and Songbird were buds. :3:

I dunno, the Marvel cartoons are so bland and uninspired, but Secret Wars (and possibly even Annihilation one day in GotG, per this: http://www.cbr.com/interview-marvel-animation-avengers-ultron-revolution-civil-war-finale/), plus the fact I just shove them on a 2nd monitor keeps me coming back. It is nice to finally have some more dynamic/fresh new characters on AA sticking around, as the core team is so blandly written and Songbird is my second favourite Marvel character.
I feel like there are occasional nice character moments, but every plot is so threadbare, and there is so little in the way of emotional arcs or development, so nothing ever changes and the characters are so limited in range, despite so much to draw upon. And the animation is shite.

Oh, I also watched Hulk: Where Monsters Dwell, which is pretty boring overall, but the Howling Commandos (Vampire By Night, Man-Thing, Zombie Sitwell and Warwolf) are all good fun. Nightmare definitely had some Sandman touches about him too.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Return of the Caped Crusaders is the only recent animated dc movie worth watching.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Why are all of the lovely (besides New Frontier) movies on Netflix, but NOT Under the Red Hood

Also, why haven't they gotten John DiMagio to play Joker again? Mark Hammill is great and all, but I thought DiMagio did a great job.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

The biggest sticking point to me was the very end and closing shot with Mr Freeze crying tears of joy. Otherwise, I can barely recall how the premise took up the entire run-time.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Reinanigans posted:

Why are all of the lovely (besides New Frontier) movies on Netflix, but NOT Under the Red Hood

Also, why haven't they gotten John DiMagio to play Joker again? Mark Hammill is great and all, but I thought DiMagio did a great job.

Because fanbaby neckbeards

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

X-O posted:

Under The Red Hood is the last decent DC movie, and also the only good use ever of Jason Todd.

All-Star Superman, Superman vs. The Elite, and The Dark Knight Returns were all made after Under the Red Hood, and are among the best DC animated movies ever made. Don't get me wrong, I like Under the Red Hood, but the script is weak and the voice acting isn't much better. It's not as hard to listen to as Superman: Doomsday, but it's far from the upper echelon and definitely not the last "decent" DC movie.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Lurdiak posted:

But it was thousands of times better than Batman and Robin.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mister Kingdom posted:

But it was thousands of times better than Batman and Robin.

Batman and Robin is actually good but this is the animation thread

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Well that's fair but you can't really divorce yourself from comparing the Mr. Freeze Movie from the Mr. Freeze Mini Movie, and the former is not even really close.

purple death ray posted:

Nah.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

Ugh this argument again..

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did you guys know bad things are actually satire.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't think it's satire. It is a movie of mostly very talented actors (as well as Chris O'Donnell and Alicia Silverstone) just going full ham and chewing the scenery and just having a great old time. It's really the closest thing to the Adam West series and their "special guest villains" who were Hollywood icons given the chance to just go nuts and act like a cartoon.

Is it a good movie, maybe not. But it is a good time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

purple death ray posted:

I don't think it's satire. It is a movie of mostly very talented actors (as well as Chris O'Donnell and Alicia Silverstone) just going full ham and chewing the scenery and just having a great old time. It's really the closest thing to the Adam West series and their "special guest villains" who were Hollywood icons given the chance to just go nuts and act like a cartoon.

It's firmly in the "so bad it's good" category for me.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

purple death ray posted:

I 100% agree with this. Batman and Robin is stupid and over the top and ridiculous and so much fun.

Though I will do you one more and say that Batman Forever is a genuinely good, fun, incredibly watchable action movie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Unmature posted:

I 100% agree with this. Batman and Robin is stupid and over the top and ridiculous and so much fun.

Though I will do you one more and say that Batman Forever is a genuinely good, fun, incredibly watchable action movie.

I can't remember, what was the justification for Bruce Wayne adopting a fully grown legal man?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Calaveron posted:

I can't remember, what was the justification for Bruce Wayne adopting a fully grown legal man?

:pervert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Unmature posted:

I don't think Batman and Robin is any good. In fact, it's god-awful and makes no sense even within itself. I still have no idea why Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze teamed up considering their plans are so diametrically opposed to each other. It's fascinating to watch though. I will also defend Batman Forever though. Genuinely good? Maybe not, it's decent at best, but fun and incredibly watchable? Yeah, I'll agree with that. It has no place being set next to Batman and Robin like some people do, that's for sure. Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face is strange because I don't believe there's ever been a Two-Face like him before or since.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm mostly angry at Batman Forever because they recast Billy Dee Williams.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face is him having no idea how to play the role and just doing a loving terrible Jack Nicholson as Joker impression.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I actually enjoyed forever it felt the most comic booky of the four and b&r was terrible because oddly it was every scene with the bat family that sucked rear end but the villains were bmovie silly and were the only decent things about it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

catlord posted:

I don't think Batman and Robin is any good. In fact, it's god-awful and makes no sense even within itself. I still have no idea why Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze teamed up considering their plans are so diametrically opposed to each other. It's fascinating to watch though. I will also defend Batman Forever though. Genuinely good? Maybe not, it's decent at best, but fun and incredibly watchable? Yeah, I'll agree with that. It has no place being set next to Batman and Robin like some people do, that's for sure. Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face is strange because I don't believe there's ever been a Two-Face like him before or since.

Yeah B & R is proof camp isn't always fun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Batman & Robin is one of those movies that benefits from the YouTube generation, where you can look up edited highlights, because big stretches of it are dull as gently caress.The fun parts are a lot of fun, like every moment John Glover is on screen, but then there's poo poo like the streetracing subplot and the entire third act which feel like they take 6 hours.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Do you NOT wanna see 90s Val Kilmer and Chris O'Donnell gently caress?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I just finished watching Justice League Dark and I'm surprised this thread hasn't mentioned the fight scene with the poo poo monster. It was an alright movie. Better than Justice League War.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmpUh7U7Sqk

Damian feels so out of place there.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

I would've been excited about this if they made it ten years ago when they announced it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

purple death ray posted:

The Batman 66 comparison is a bit flawed because Batman 66 is just a better production. It has some Arrested Development level jokes and some of the earlier episodes look drat good. And as much as people spent the better part of the 90s whining about how it ruined Batman, the performances left a lasting impression. The villainous actors really set the tone for those characters--especially Catwoman--and Frank Gorshin set the bar for supervillains in general.

Batman and Robin has some fun moments, but it's just really cheap and shoddy. The aesthetic and look of the thing just become more grotesquely gaudy over the years than anything else.

What I will say is that stuff like the bat-rear end shots and the bat nipples are properly worth the least mockery because that stuff wouldn't stand out as much in 1997 movie about a superheroine. It's a gay-male-gaze of Batman and that's interesting. But the movie is so unsexy that it doesn't really matter. And we have Thor that is able to relish in how hot its lead is while providing a more fun experience.