Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

It's going on hiatus for now. Probably to focus on other things.

Like a much needed Legacy of Kain game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

They're doing a Guardians of the Galaxy game and helping with Tomb Raider. Deus Ex didn't sell well enough.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

So Yakuza 0 just showed up from Gamefly... this is my first. It looks nice for being a port, the screen tearing is a shame though.

Or is it likely it's just not for me?

Don't feel bad if you don't like Yakuza, those games are not for everyone.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TFRazorsaw posted:

I didn't like shadow of the colossus and ico enough to want to bother with the hallmarks of this franchise's gameplay on top of what appears to be really bad AI on a companion character. I realize some people find it realistic but to me personally that will always be frustrating.

Also, the game being technically gimped on the base PS4 and not the Pro feels like something I don't want to encourage Sony on, so it won't get my dollars.

Your loss. Best game of 2016.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Writing off Last Guardian over technical hiccups is so lame.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yah I'm playing it this very minute and it might be the best looking game I've ever seen. The design is just unbelievably good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

They're doing a Guardians of the Galaxy game and helping with Tomb Raider. Deus Ex didn't sell well enough.

Someone should've really told them you need to sell a complete story per entry in a trilogy, not sell one story by Act.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I mean, you COULD sell a single story by the act but you have to make sure that act is really drat good and Mankind Divided's act is really bland.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh, Double Dragon 4 is out on the NA store. 7 bucks. Guess I'll check it out tonight.

Where's Neon :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yah I'm playing it this very minute and it might be the best looking game I've ever seen. The design is just unbelievably good.

I'd probably agree. It's at least very high up there. The attention to detail and quality of design is absolutely insane.

I won't spoil them but there are a couple of parts that are hands down the most epic things I have seen in a video game.

The only downside is that video game animals will forever look like poo poo to me after trico.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The only downside is that video game animals will forever look like poo poo to me after trico.

"Every single feather is a dead PS3."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

http://i.imgur.com/cOP6Sjh.gifv

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cattes.

Nostalgia4Cattes

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

just lol if you don't have a cat clock i mean it's 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cat clocks, apple watches, folks I can't keep up with all this technology!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

No, let the kitty be free :ohdear:

Alder fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 31, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On the plus side it isn't like we don't know where Deus Ex ends up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Square went chasing licensed product cash according to recent reports and took Crystal deeznuts and eidosnuts off of what they were failing to sell 10 million copies of and put them on mahvel properties.

just blow up what was rumored to be a 3 part DE trilogy starting with the recent one. lol.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

what does that even mean

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

idk thanks for the intervention

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Got to Mission 10 in Double Dragon 4. Feels like a half assed fanmade game.

Its still playable and the retro music is good. Stages are too flat and its mainly just simple walking along, not as much details. Not enough pits or bridges like 1 and 2. Glad its only 7 bucks, but it sure feels like a lower budget game.

If you're a DD fan its worth it. Getting a new game after so many years is like a miracle. (Neon was good but not made by Technos.)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rdr2 might get a superbowl trailer

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's going on hiatus for now. Probably to focus on other things.

Like a much needed Legacy of Kain game.

LMAO SquareEnixEidos actually had an almost complete new Legacy of Kain game but they canned that too, it was one of the casualties of Final Fantasy XIV being released in an awful state and Square blaming their huge loss of money on it on everything BUT it, it's what became the pay to win online game that came out a few years ago.

For real though Human Revolution had so much work put into it and they still didn't give them time to put in stuff like the entire backstory of the bosses but I'm not surprised about the new one not selling well.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 31, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

rdr2 might get a superbowl trailer

So we know it will be at least as good as Game of War!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

LMAO SquareEnixEidos actually had an almost complete new Legacy of Kain game but they canned that too, it was one of the casualties of Final Fantasy XIV being released in an awful state and Square blaming their huge loss of money on it on everything BUT it, it's what became the pay to win online game that came out a few years ago.

It's a mercy that Konami skipped all this poo poo and went straight to failing pachinko business

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Neo Rasa posted:

This whole Deus Ex thing feels extremely similar to how the Tomb Raider reboot was treated a few years ago (being called a financial disappointment to write off their company losses on something). I'm surprised the comparison hasn't been brought up more often.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Your loss. Best game of 2016.

DOOM is in the PS4, yeah

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TaurusOxford posted:

I wasn't even paying attention to the jank - I was too busy being appalled by the garbage voice acting that sounded like it came out of RE1.

That's the weirdest thing here - only his dialogue and voice acting are that unnatural and weird, both women sound fine. Like, anytime he talked, I expected a robot to just yell "it'll be dark soon"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Seriously though how many first party games from Sony have added up to disappointment at this point?

They've got Uncharted 4 as a solid release and what else?

Sony as a publisher has given us Equinox: Solstice II, WarHawk, Jumping Flash!, Alundra, Twisted Metal 2, PaRappa the Rapper, Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls, The Last of Us, and Bloodborne, so I give them a free pass for eternity.

Bombadilillo posted:

It was probably the cinematic nature of the original reveal and hudless running around I saw. When they added markers everywhere it went from something I HAD to experience the awe and wonder of to something I guess I'll checkout if the gameplay is something special.

This is exactly how I have felt about it. I was so hyped when the teaser trailer segued into the ingame graphics with just the world out there and her running out to find adventure. Then with each passing review it got more and more cookie cutter looking. The dumbest thing though is how they made all these cool looking robot dinosaurs and animals and they all glow with this obvious THIS ROBOT IS RED IT WANTS TO HURT YOU/THIS ROBOT IS BLUE YOU CAN DO STUFF WITH IT.

mycot posted:

This whole Deus Ex thing feels extremely similar to how the Tomb Raider reboot was treated a few years ago (being called a financial disappointment to write off their company losses on something). I'm surprised the comparison hasn't been brought up more often.

For real they threw the Eidos part of the company under the bus, singling out Tomb Raider, Human Revolution and even Hitman Absolution as the reason they were failing. But the executive who gave that keynote got promoted/transferred into uselessness and the new guy was immediately talking about how that was a mistak eand they're proud of what Eidos has to offer. Maybe at when you reach executive level at Square you get two letters in your desk one is "praise all the games that just game out," and the second is "dis all the games and leave."

On the upside, if an MCU game comes out of this that's actually good I guess that's cool. I mean if they actually gave them a real budget and time and they just made a Mass Effect clone but about Guardians of the Galaxy that would be legit awesome. Or an M rated game based on the Netflix Marvel stuff, that's something they could even just reuse the structure of Deus Ex for and it would be huge. That's always frustrating because you could make potentially amazing games out of anything and in these cases you already have cool characters and settings ready to go but you know Square will just make them churn out whatever poo poo.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 31, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

This is exactly how I have felt about it. I was so hyped when the teaser trailer segued into the ingame graphics with just the world out there and her running out to find adventure. Then with each passing review it got more and more cookie cutter looking. The dumbest thing though is how they made all these cool looking robot dinosaurs and animals and they all glow with this obvious THIS ROBOT IS RED IT WANTS TO HURT YOU/THIS ROBOT IS BLUE YOU CAN DO STUFF WITH IT.

You dislike good visual design?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

You dislike good visual design?

It's lazy as gently caress imo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

That's the weirdest thing here - only his dialogue and voice acting are that unnatural and weird, both women sound fine. Like, anytime he talked, I expected a robot to just yell "it'll be dark soon"

"can't YOU see i NEED time to THINK?"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neo Rasa posted:

It's lazy as gently caress imo.

How would you suggest they do it? From all indications determining a robot dinosaur's attitude towards you is a fairly important part of the gameplay so it can't be something that takes too long or is too ambiguous. We also know that robots can be converted to and from your allegiance so just what kind of robot it is wouldn't be enough to tell you this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If only some other monster hunting franchise existed for them to steal ideas from...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't understand the problem with this or why it's lazy

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Detective No. 27 posted:

If only some other monster hunting franchise existed for them to steal ideas from...

What do they do to differentiate hostile and friendlies of the same species?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

haveblue posted:

How would you suggest they do it? From all indications determining a robot dinosaur's attitude towards you is a fairly important part of the gameplay so it can't be something that takes too long or is too ambiguous. We also know that robots can be converted to and from your allegiance so just what kind of robot it is wouldn't be enough to tell you this.

Ideally through animation and sound. In real life an animal can be unpredictable but if an animal is pissed and wants to kill something or is actively hunting after something or is pretty chill in the heat of the moment it's pretty obvious. I'm not asking for motion capture or anything like that just, like, make the animal look and sound pissed at you vs. being chill with you?

It was one of the things that made me uninterested in the game, like you say, knowing where the animals are at regarding what they think of you at a given moment is supposed to be an important part of the game. "The concept explores the contrast between the beauty and danger of the world." was part of the official announcement.

If that's the case, and they put that little work visually into how the animals behave towards you that they need to be glowing blue or red to know if they're good or bad, like, what was even going on for the past six years?

It's just generic to me rather than something potentially unique.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

Ideally through animation and sound. In real life an animal can be unpredictable but if an animal is pissed and wants to kill something or is actively hunting after something or is pretty chill in the heat of the moment it's pretty obvious. I'm not asking for motion capture or anything like that just, like, make the animal look and sound pissed at you vs. being chill with you?

It was one of the things that made me uninterested in the game, like you say, knowing where the animals are at regarding what they think of you at a given moment is supposed to be an important part of the game. "The concept explores the contrast between the beauty and danger of the world." was part of the official announcement.

If that's the case, and they put that little work visually into how the animals behave towards you that they need to be glowing blue or red to know if they're good or bad, like, what was even going on for the past six years?

It's just generic to me rather than something potentially unique.

So you want the player to have to differentiate the mood of these things in real time while half a dozen are attacking and 3 others are defending. Does the phrase cluster gently caress mean anything to you?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Based on that last video, expect the ending to be about picking the blue glowing dinobot, the red glowing dinobot, or the green glowing dinobot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neo Rasa posted:

It sounds good on paper, but they tried this for The Last Guardian and tons of people think the game is obtuse and glitchy even though there's only one animal and they had way longer to polish it.