Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

cool stuff.

In my case, the kitchen sink is on the right-hand side, so I can't really do one of those diagonal things. But it could definitely be easier to access the storage in the corner area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bad Munki posted:

£400, the most concrete number I can provide

:master:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lazy Susans are lame because stuff can fall off them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Splicer posted:

God drat, I just got it.

Christ, me too.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

:vince:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

This is another option:

Requires beefy hinges. Lets you have one drawer above. Not sure if the little door on the right is functional.
The narrow door on the right could be a slide-out towel hanger or something, like this.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

We have one of those round corner units, and one of these:

The one that comes out on a rail is easier to use and makes better use of the space, but you need more free area for it to open into.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdKM4FvGGPY

27,000 1 pence coins used to create a floor all sealed with an epoxy resin. Cannot wait for someone to try and remodel and get rid of the floor.
Theres a pub in my grandparents town that has a bar counter made like this. But I think it's shillings instead. It's seen so much use in some places they've nearly been rubbed through.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I was at the kitchen design place just today. Super Susans are the current rage. Just like a lazy susan, but pacman shaped so you can have a larger diameter circle.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

sirr0bin posted:

I have a drawer like that in my house. I had to file off some of the knob to get it to clear. Uggh, previous owners.

Just skew the drawers, like that one posted in here a while back where it was hitting a stovetop or something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gounads posted:

I was at the kitchen design place just today. Super Susans are the current rage. Just like a lazy susan, but pacman shaped so you can have a larger diameter circle.

:eyepop:

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
So we made an offer on a house, and just got back from the inspection. The house was built in 1993 and generally in pretty good shape. Your normal assortment of random low-priority poo poo that needs fixing but on the whole pretty good. There was, unfortunately, one large problem.

Sometime after original construction, someone knocked out a wall and installed a 3' x 6' glass-covered "solarium" on the first floor. It is noticeably settling and causing cracks to the interior drywall, but does not appear to be any water damage. On the exterior, you can see where the glass panes are no longer joined at right angles due to the settling. The footing was covered with plywood so we couldn't see how the whole thing was constructed... it could just be sitting on some concrete blocks for all we know. We did notice that the siding on one of the corners was no longer fully protecting that corner due to settling, and were able to peel it back and look inside a bit.

We discovered that, at least on that corner, the wood had completely rotted away.... the inspector pulled out a handful of spongy wood chips. :ohdear:

The inspector basically said we had two choices:
  1. Jack the whole thing up, replace all the rotted wood (which could be a non-negligible amount, it was hard to see how much of the structure was compromised), and fix/replace the footing to prevent future settling. Also re-drywall the interior as it would likely develop huge cracks during the repair.
  2. Tear off the whole solarium, wall it up and put in some windows, or a sliding glass door.

The inspector obviously couldn't give any hard numbers, but figured it'd wouldn't be unreasonable to expect $5k+ to remove the extension and just wall it up. Probably more to try and repair it in-place.

So we're trying to figure out what to do. Is this a sub-$10k job to wall over? Is this one of those things that's going to keep giving us problems for years even after it's fixed? We're trying to decide if it's worth our time to bring someone out to quote the repair price and re-negotiate the price, or just walk away.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

polyfractal posted:

So we made an offer on a house, and just got back from the inspection. The house was built in 1993 and generally in pretty good shape. Your normal assortment of random low-priority poo poo that needs fixing but on the whole pretty good. There was, unfortunately, one large problem.

Sometime after original construction, someone knocked out a wall and installed a 3' x 6' glass-covered "solarium" on the first floor. It is noticeably settling and causing cracks to the interior drywall, but does not appear to be any water damage. On the exterior, you can see where the glass panes are no longer joined at right angles due to the settling. The footing was covered with plywood so we couldn't see how the whole thing was constructed... it could just be sitting on some concrete blocks for all we know. We did notice that the siding on one of the corners was no longer fully protecting that corner due to settling, and were able to peel it back and look inside a bit.

We discovered that, at least on that corner, the wood had completely rotted away.... the inspector pulled out a handful of spongy wood chips. :ohdear:

The inspector basically said we had two choices:
  1. Jack the whole thing up, replace all the rotted wood (which could be a non-negligible amount, it was hard to see how much of the structure was compromised), and fix/replace the footing to prevent future settling. Also re-drywall the interior as it would likely develop huge cracks during the repair.
  2. Tear off the whole solarium, wall it up and put in some windows, or a sliding glass door.

The inspector obviously couldn't give any hard numbers, but figured it'd wouldn't be unreasonable to expect $5k+ to remove the extension and just wall it up. Probably more to try and repair it in-place.

So we're trying to figure out what to do. Is this a sub-$10k job to wall over? Is this one of those things that's going to keep giving us problems for years even after it's fixed? We're trying to decide if it's worth our time to bring someone out to quote the repair price and re-negotiate the price, or just walk away.

Pictures?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

This really can't get enough love. :golfclap:

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

CoolBlue posted:

Pictures?

Not at the moment. :( I took my camera, but once we got to the house realized the memory card was sitting on my desk at at home. It's a 1.5hr drive so we couldn't just pop back to get it. The inspector took some photos, which we should have in the next ~48 hrs when he finishes the report.

I know, that's entirely unhelpful :(

Edit: FWIW, here are the listing photos so you can at least see what the size/shape looks like. I'll update once the inspector gets back to us with photos

"Solarium" can be seen on the left of the house:

Inside:

VVVV that is also our worry :(

polyfractal fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 28, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My concern would be if they hosed up their solarium like that, what else did they do that you can't see?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Never assume that the worst thing you know about is the worst thing there is.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you like the solarium budget to completely remove and replace it, if you aren't attached to it (like the house :haw: ) budget to remove and wall it up properly.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Severe the solarium, rebuild the wall and check the second floor above to make sure it is still level. Seriously, think about how many studs they removed and ask yourself if they actually supported the span properly. Just my opinion, I think the solarium is a cool idea but just doesn't blend with the rest of the house and it's small.. . . It's more like just an oversized window.

Also, are those skylights all over the roof or solar panels? Seems like a lot of skylights, most like installed by JAFHO and waiting to leak.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Thanks all, we're mulling it all over. Appreciate the responses :)

Crotch Fruit posted:

Severe the solarium, rebuild the wall and check the second floor above to make sure it is still level. Seriously, think about how many studs they removed and ask yourself if they actually supported the span properly. Just my opinion, I think the solarium is a cool idea but just doesn't blend with the rest of the house and it's small.. . . It's more like just an oversized window.

Agreed that the solarium doesn't really fit in... we'd be just fine with large windows in their place. It doesn't add any noticeable space inside due to the layout and the wood stove, so a window would do the same job. Noted on the second level, hadn't even thought about that aspect. That's my major concern... we tear that thing off and it realize there are a number of other critical issues that were hiding. And the project goes from a few thousand dollars to something much larger.

I guess we'll get someone out to look at it and give us a quote, then go from there. Maybe the sellers won't negotiate the price and it'll make the decision easy.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Also, are those skylights all over the roof or solar panels? Seems like a lot of skylights, most like installed by JAFHO and waiting to leak.

Skylights. I'm super paranoid of skylights (some of my friends have had difficulties), so we had the inspector spend extra time on them. He said they actually looked great, proper step flashing, no signs of leaks anywhere, etc.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Gounads posted:

I have one with the doors attached to the pacman shaped shelves. when closed everything lines up and looks like a normal cabinet.

kinda like this http://i.imgur.com/Rgs1tJml.jpg

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

This really can't get enough love. :golfclap:

Jesus Christ, let that poo poo die.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 29, 2017

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

kid sinister posted:

Wait, what?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kid sinister posted:

So, you've got an immobile, concrete opinion on the matter?

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 29, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

So, you've got an immobile, concrete opinion on the matter?

Seriously. They are NOT budging. It is like it is carved in stone.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They said 27000 pennies, so $270 worth of materials, not counting the epoxy. The time invested cost way more than the cash value of the coins.

Hahahaha, dear god my math sucks

:negative:

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

kid sinister posted:

It's almost like they think they're posting on a comedy forum, what with all the appreciation for another user's jokes.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Veeb0rg posted:

I have one with the doors attached to the pacman shaped shelves. when closed everything lines up and looks like a normal cabinet.

kinda like this http://i.imgur.com/Rgs1tJml.jpg

I have that in one corner cabinet, and the hinged door that just opens to a huge shelving section on the other half. It is great - the lazy susan thing gets all the snacks and other whatnot, and the huge storage area on the other corner is great for canned goods that can be a little further back without being forgotten and years expired before they're used. The doors that spin with the lazy susan make it a lot easier to use than others I've seen. A++ WOULD CABINET AGAIN

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Nobody's tried to use concrete as currency ever since the Romans discovered it wouldn't float.

The United States would like a word with you: http://www.concreteships.org/

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

PainterofCrap posted:

The United States would like a word with you: http://www.concreteships.org/

A shipwreck isn't convincing me that it's particularly good at floating

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Hey, now, the Peralta is STILL afloat. Never underestimate the power of people to crash into anything no matter the surroundings or sight lines.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shortspecialbus posted:

They didn’t use the proper quantity.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

They didn’t use the proper quantity.

I heard that they used four hundred pounds and nobody could take that ship anywhere, it was firmly anchored to the ocean floor

Now ice on the other hand, is a genius ship building material

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 30, 2017

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's me, I'm the diy mistake!

The light in the kitchen of the condo I rent was always a little dim for my liking, but it burnt out this morning. I figured I'd just replace the bulb with a higher equivalent wattage LED bulb and get a little more light while saving some power. Just about to leave the house, I thought, "Now, does that fixture take one or two bulbs?" Popped it open and found two 60 watt incandescent bulbs.

I got to the hardware store and bought myself two bigass Cree 100 watt equivalent LED bulbs. When I got home, I started installing them and realized that maybe, just maybe, my kitchen was always dim because one of those bulbs had been burnt out the entire time we'd lived there.

gently caress that, my kitchen is so bright you gotta wear shades.

LED bulbs are the best. I've always complained that the light in my home is too dim. Not anymore...

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Here's a fun dilemma. Plots of land get subdivided and two houses poorly planned and plonked down in an area really meant for one.

That power line (stobie pole) blocking the garage is due to the council not allowing the developers any changes. But the developers don't bother adjusting. Also the garage reportedly is slightly too narrow for larger cars as they had to cut corners to make the property fit.

Also a stobie pole is a unique thing to South Australia. Post WW2 they needed a cheap and solid power pole that wasn't as fragile as wood (termites and rot) and didn't need much metal owing to post war shortage.

The solutions was to sandwich concrete between two rail sleepers. The downside to a very cheap and effective solution was these things bisect cars like hot knives through butter.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

It's me, I'm the diy mistake!

The light in the kitchen of the condo I rent was always a little dim for my liking, but it burnt out this morning. I figured I'd just replace the bulb with a higher equivalent wattage LED bulb and get a little more light while saving some power. Just about to leave the house, I thought, "Now, does that fixture take one or two bulbs?" Popped it open and found two 60 watt incandescent bulbs.

I got to the hardware store and bought myself two bigass Cree 100 watt equivalent LED bulbs. When I got home, I started installing them and realized that maybe, just maybe, my kitchen was always dim because one of those bulbs had been burnt out the entire time we'd lived there.

gently caress that, my kitchen is so bright you gotta wear shades.

LED bulbs are the best. I've always complained that the light in my home is too dim. Not anymore...
You *might still regret this, in my experience the base of Cree LED bulbs where the transformer is located gets ridiculously hot, I think they are supposed to put out about the same amount of heat as whatever bulb they are the equivalent of. I will say when I put a 100W Cree in my single bulb kitchen fixture the bulb overheated like 2 or 3 times within months. The strange part is I am still using the very same bulb and it hasn't overheated in a very, very long time, it probably roasted shut and shorted out it's overheat protection thus leaving me with a bright fire hazard.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.earthled.com/collections/led-light-bulbs-suitable-for-enclosed-fixtures-fully-enclosed-fixture-rated-led-light-bulbs

Hope that helps. You must buy bulbs rated for enclosed fixtures or you are breaking code (and creating a fire hazard).

edit: on second look I can't find explicit code on this. So maybe it's perfectly OK by code but still please don't.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 31, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
So is there anything that would make a pipe leak at the joint only if you fill the tub it's supplying with water, but not if you just run the faucet or shower?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

So is there anything that would make a pipe leak at the joint only if you fill the tub it's supplying with water, but not if you just run the faucet or shower?

Yes, a bad solder joint or broken pipe. There is deflection in your floor when you have water weight on it. This could potentially be enough to make a poor connection leak.

Start looking at all the joints around that area if you aren't saying you've already found the one that is leaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

there wolf posted:

We literally just fixed that issue on our tub two weeks ago. It was leaking from the drain pipe only when a full tub was draining. We figured it was due to the weight of the water above putting enough pressure in to the drain to cause the leak.