Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

If the picks had just disappeared, I could see them eating multiple first rounders as a penalty. However, you can't just give the Astros a bunch of extra firsts, that would be patently unfair to the rest of the AL West. I'm shocked the Astros are getting anything other than the huge fine

Yea, that's the part that really surprised me too. Of course the Astros had damages, but who the hell came up with the price tag of the first two draft picks and $2m? I feel like other GM's would jump on that deal and plead teams to hack them. All GM's are currently changing their password to password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
http://deadspin.com/feds-cardinals-hacker-probably-leaked-to-deadspin-as-r-1791778599

quote:

Through the information released last week and earlier, one thing is clear: The Astros could have thwarted most of this by requiring all employees to enable two-factor authentication for their email and Ground Control accounts.

The sentencing document also points to a motive beyond the obviously useful scouting data: Correa was furious and envious of Mejdal’s acclaim in a June 25, 2014 Sports Illustrated cover story about the Astros’ embrace of analytics, with the cover predicting them as the winners of the 2017 World Series.

:laffo:

I don't remember if anyone had known about the hack before the Deadspin leak, so being petty may very well have cost him his career and sent him to jail for nearly 4 years

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 30, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Nards Pan posted:

Flex pack or one of the plans? We're an A plan 20 game sth

Flex pack. We're in the left field bleachers for every game. I'll PM you a list of the games after work.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

If we really do win the World Series this year, it will be perfect.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

If the picks had just disappeared, I could see them eating multiple first rounders as a penalty. However, you can't just give the Astros a bunch of extra firsts, that would be patently unfair to the rest of the AL West. I'm shocked the Astros are getting anything other than the huge fine

:agreed:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

That really does seem super light. If I'm being objective I honestly think they should have been punished more but not had any picks going to Houston. As a Cardinals fan who generally wants good things for the Astros, I'm very happy about it.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If Bill Belichick can spy on the Rams and then win that Super Bowl by a FG with impunity, it only seems fair the Cards don't get much punishment for this.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mike_V posted:

If Bill Belichick can spy on the Rams and then win that Super Bowl by a FG with impunity, it only seems fair the Cards don't get much punishment for this.

I agree that the cardinals should lose multiple picks and have their best players suspended for ¼ of the year

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm Real Mad that the Astros just got a couple of first round draft picks for ultimately nothing to stock up on their already good farm system.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GeneX posted:

I agree that the cardinals should lose multiple picks and have their best players suspended for ¼ of the year

I believe you are thinking of the wrong scandal.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I'm Real Mad that the Astros just got a couple of first round draft picks for ultimately nothing to stock up on their already good farm system.

Also this will make it easier to sign someone who drops due to signability :toot:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Oh, I guess as a slightly funny take on this: had the MLB announced the punishment prior to free agency, the Astros would have gotten a higher pick, since the Cardinals lost their 1st round pick signing Dexter Fowler, heh.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah, that might have been intentional so they could look like they're being tough (take the first two picks) without actually having to give the Astros an extra first

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Stronger punishment than I expected, weaker than it should have been. People will be mad at Manfred from both directions so he will feel confidant he did the right thing.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

http://m.mlbshop.com/Seattle_Mariners_Caps/Mens_Seattle_Mariners_Ken_Griffey_Jr._New_Era_Navy_Logo_Low_Profile_59FIFTY_Fitted_Hat

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

This owns.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Too bad they're out of stock for anyone who doesn't have a comically small or grotesquely large head

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Pussy Boss posted:

tfw the goofy lovable vet who carried your favorite team to its first title in 50+ years has bad political opinions

Don't have favs. They will only disappoint.(RIP Kanye) I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and for Scwarbs to reveal how he is a disciple of Richard Spencer or some poo poo.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Intruder posted:

Too bad they're out of stock for anyone who doesn't have a comically small or grotesquely large head

If the available size is too large, the clear choice is to start drinking copious amounts of nerve tonic until it fits.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
And now for the sake of competitive balance, MLB will give the Cardinals two first-round picks and also two more picks for the negative publicity hurting their market

The Pussy Boss posted:

tfw the goofy lovable vet who carried your favorite team to its first title in 50+ years has bad political opinions

I'm just astonished that Aubrey Huff has a twitter and that anyone followed it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I just assume all straight white men have horrible opinions until they show me otherwise.

So far this strategy has worked out pretty well.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

will_colorado posted:

If the available size is too large, the clear choice is to start drinking copious amounts of nerve tonic until it fits.

:golfclap:

My hat size is between 7-1/2 and 7-5/8 so I have to buy a 7-5/8 and hold it in boiling water (keeping the brim dry) until it shrinks down to the right size. I doubt you could change the fitting more than 1/8 a size with this technique though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

So you're saying I can still get one....

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It legitimately bothers me that this wasn't made to be worn backwards

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

IcePhoenix posted:

It legitimately bothers me that this wasn't made to be worn backwards

I was honestly expecting that it would be. I'm a little surprised it isn't.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Intruder posted:

This is what happens when you give in to the demands of Terrorists.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

grotesquely large head

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hot Take Alert

Chris Correa getting 4 years is kinda harsh imo. Its not like he sent the Astros a trojan or brute forced their system. He correctly deduced Jeff Luhnow is kinda dumb and that Eckstein123 is a poo poo password. While probably a crime, its not "hacking" imo and Correa did the world a favor in reminding people in how to not pick passwords. Cards getting punished is still good because it is cheating and Cardinals.

Eckstein123 :laffo:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just because someone leaves their car unlocked doesn't make stealing it any more legal

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Nearly four years in prison still seems like a lot for that to be honest

I'll take the picks gladly

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Commute his sentence and give more Cardinals picks to the Astros instead

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Intruder posted:

Commute his sentence and give more Cardinals picks to the Astros instead

Firmly agreed

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

fast cars loose anus posted:

It seems like a major white collar crime to me, and you'd have a hard time convincing me that Correa was ignorant of what he was doing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://deadspin.com/feds-cardinals-hacker-probably-leaked-to-deadspin-as-r-1791778599

It wasn't like a one off accidental thing, it was a deliberate and malevolent effort that went on over a long period of time

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

fast cars loose anus posted:

I mean I guess you need to think of it more like corporate espionage, potentially involving millions of dollars in player contracts. It isn't the same level of severity as knowing your ex's facebook password that they didn't change and logging in to snoop.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm glad my ex never gave a poo poo about baseball so she doesn't know all my passwords.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The punishment for the Cardinals should be Fredbird getting spanked on the fanny with a bamboo rod on top of the home dugout for every game at Busch, for all eternity

Plus an MLB mandated number of crowd shots of children crying as Fredbird receives his batsu punishment for all broadcasts

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also move the team to Montreal :getin:

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm glad my ex never gave a poo poo about baseball so she doesn't know all my passwords.

tried to steal your SA account with Dickey123 but no luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
It's dickster123 and I'm off to shitpost

• Locked thread