Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Like literally everything involved in the slow creep towards authoritarianism, it seems obvious to those who are looking for it, yet is innocuous enough to be easily dismissed as coincidence or meaningless by those who value their peace of mind more than justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Quorum posted:

Like literally everything involved in the slow creep towards authoritarianism, it seems obvious to those who are looking for it, yet is innocuous enough to be easily dismissed as coincidence or meaningless by those who value their peace of mind more than justice.

When Romania massacred many of it's Jews in WWII, a prominent Jewish author found out about it from a friend who took part in the massacres, and had come back home on leave. There's pretty much no bottom to that attitude.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 21, 2017

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah... not unexpected, but certainly a very bad sign.

http://www.hrc.org/blog/president-trump-appoints-lawyer-who-defended-discriminatory-hb2-to-key-civi

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The all-Republican Supreme Court of Texas has agreed to rehear a case challenging benefits offered by the city of Houston to same-sex couples.

quote:

The state’s highest civil court had rejected the case in September with only one of nine justices dissenting, prompting a backlash from opponents of gay marriage who saw an opportunity to strip away same-sex spousal benefits offered to employees of state and local governments.

Three leading Republicans — Gov. Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and Attorney General Ken Paxton — joined the effort, filing a brief that urged the high court to reconsider because the case offered an opportunity to limit the impact of the 2015 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that struck down the state’s ban on gay marriage.

On Friday, the state court reinstated the case, accepting a rarely granted motion to rehear without comment and scheduling oral arguments for March 1.

[...]

Neel Lane, a lawyer for two same-sex couples who had challenged the Texas same-sex marriage ban, said the court’s reversal was telling.

“It is clear that, emboldened by Donald Trump’s victory, Texas Republicans are targeting the rights of gay and lesbian citizens. Sadly, the Texas Supreme Court has folded under their pressure,” Lane said. “If the Supreme Court is vulnerable to this kind of pressure, then gay and lesbian citizens should expect no aid or comfort from any corner of state government.”

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Brace yourselves

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/01/sources-report-trump-executive-order-lgbtq-community-coming-soon/

quote:

An executive order from President Donald Trump opening up discrimination against the LGBTQ community on the basis of religious belief is expected sometime this week, possibly as soon as today.

Several sources spoke with LGBTQ Nation on the condition of anonymity who have told us that the order will allow for discrimination in a number of areas, including employment, social services, business, and adoption.

From what we’ve heard, the executive order could be far-reaching, and could include: making taxpayer funds available for discrimination against LGBTQ people in social services; allow federally funded adoption agencies to discriminate against LGBTQ parents; eliminate non-discrimination protections in order to make it possible to fire federal employers and contractors based on their sexual orientation or gender identity; and allow federal employees to refuse to serve people based on the belief that marriage should be between a man and a woman, and that gender is an immutable characteristic set at birth, which would impact a broad range of federal benefits.

The order is expected to come in the packaging of so-called “religious freedom,” which argues that someone’s religious beliefs should be enough to prevent them from having to provide goods and services to members of the LGBTQ community if doing so would conflict with said beliefs.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

This, plus Raul Labrador's federal FADA will take us all the way back to sit-ins and arrests. I suspect that's what NC republican's insistence on a 'cooling off period' for anti-discrimination ordinances was all about. They were assured that their HB2 bullshit(and even worse) was going national soon, so they knew they were going to break the state boycott regardless.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

B-BUT GUYS, HE'S SOCIALLY LIBERALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

More and more all the time I want to strangle the people that kept somehow repeating this damned lie to themselves and any other dumbasses that would listen.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Yardbomb posted:

B-BUT GUYS, HE'S SOCIALLY LIBERALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

More and more all the time I want to strangle the people that kept somehow repeating this damned lie to themselves and any other dumbasses that would listen.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
And when you least expected it:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/dominicholden/the-boy-scouts-just-announced-they-will-allow-transgender-bo?utm_term=.uePo3D94B#.vuOKzkr1m

quote:

“Starting today, we will accept and register youth in the Cub and Boy Scout programs based on the gender identity indicated on the application. Our organization’s local councils will help find units that can provide for the best interest of the child.

“The BSA is committed to identifying program options that will help us truly serve the whole family, and this is an area that we will continue to thoughtfully evaluate to bring the benefits of Scouting to the greatest number of youth possible – all while remaining true to our core values, outlined in the Scout Oath and Law.”

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I had literally just read on Huffington Post about the family of a trans boy being excluded from the Cub Scouts. The article ended with vague talk about a lawsuit, so I'm not surprised they're buckling down this quick! The Girl Scouts are fantastic about accepting trans girls, and I don't think the Venture Scouts have ever made gender related exclusions with regard to trans folk in general.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There's been talk on Twitter and other places this may not happen. However, I am not optimistic.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Krysmphoenix posted:

I had literally just read on Huffington Post about the family of a trans boy being excluded from the Cub Scouts. The article ended with vague talk about a lawsuit, so I'm not surprised they're buckling down this quick! The Girl Scouts are fantastic about accepting trans girls, and I don't think the Venture Scouts have ever made gender related exclusions with regard to trans folk in general.

Venture scouts is part of BSA, but they're also co-ed so it's less of an issue.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

there wolf posted:

Venture scouts is part of BSA, but they're also co-ed so it's less of an issue.

I grew up with a completely co-ed Scouts Canada, so learning about how conservative the US Scouts were was disappointing.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

The Dark One posted:

I grew up in Canada, so learning about how conservative the US is continues to be disappointing.

fixed that for you

that said, since we still raise boys and girls in very different ways, I can still see why wanting separate scouting programs may make sense to some, but it's still obnoxious at time. Maybe in time the US scouting programs will merge.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Dark One posted:

I grew up with a completely co-ed Scouts Canada, so learning about how conservative the US Scouts were was disappointing.

Co-ed is only progressive for boys. It's actually harmful for girls, so you have to be careful slinging it around like a gold standard.

Boy Scouts of America is also heavily backed by the Mormon church, which is why it lags behind pretty much every other scouting organization (there are a bunch) as far as dealing with the queer community and atheists.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Hello thread.

So as a trans man in the U.S. how worried should I be right now? I'm having trouble settling on an appropriate level of terror.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

RabbitMage posted:

Hello thread.

So as a trans man in the U.S. how worried should I be right now? I'm having trouble settling on an appropriate level of terror.

Well if you liked having any legal protections I have some bad news

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
*starts to open closet door, looks around, quietly closes and barricades door*

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RabbitMage posted:

Hello thread.

Up your t doses to get real buff and hairy and get a good packer. All the trans hate is really directed at the girls and further still at the ones who don't pass. Trans men don't exist.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Well if you liked having any legal protections I have some bad news

Well yeah I figured that.

But really. My fiancee is really freaked out and talking about having things in order so we can run to Canada on short notice and hope for mercy/living in the woods maybe? I feel like we're not there yet, but with how quickly things have been happening I honestly don't know. I feel relatively safe here in California, but.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

RabbitMage posted:

Hello thread.

Get as many firearms as you can afford, train with them, and carry at least one on your person at all times. Be alert and be ready, they are coming for us soon.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

RabbitMage posted:

Well yeah I figured that.

But really. My fiancee is really freaked out and talking about having things in order so we can run to Canada on short notice and hope for mercy/living in the woods maybe? I feel like we're not there yet, but with how quickly things have been happening I honestly don't know. I feel relatively safe here in California, but.

I wouldn't run into the woods yet.

But you should probably keep that as a serious back up plan. Trans people look like they have a really big target on them now.

I also wouldn't start buying guns for a final stand. I'm not going to criticize if you go that route though.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

RabbitMage posted:

Hello thread.

As a man, you will probably be OK. You might have to rejustify your T doses as helping you "build mass and get big boners, the best boners -- you won't believe the kind of boners I get."

It's not going to be pretty be feel free to lean on your male privilege in the coming years. You'll need it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shbobdb posted:

As a man, you will probably be OK. You might have to rejustify your T doses as helping you "build mass and get big boners, the best boners -- you won't believe the kind of boners I get."

It's not going to be pretty be feel free to lean on your male privilege in the coming years. You'll need it.

Hey Nazi, get the gently caress out. No one wants your bullshit here either.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
My boners are Yuge. Everyone loves them.

Thanks for the words of...well, not comfort, but thanks for the words. I have zero gun training and don't really feel comfortable having a gun in my home for a few reasons, but it's a possibility down the line. Might look into other ways to work in self defense and take some reasoned, not-quite-wildman-living-in-the-woods just yet. Though I gotta say, I've got some fine woods around here to vanish into.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RabbitMage posted:

My boners are Yuge. Everyone loves them.

Thanks for the words of...well, not comfort, but thanks for the words. I have zero gun training and don't really feel comfortable having a gun in my home for a few reasons, but it's a possibility down the line. Might look into other ways to work in self defense and take some reasoned, not-quite-wildman-living-in-the-woods just yet. Though I gotta say, I've got some fine woods around here to vanish into.

Accept your calling and become a literal bear.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

well at least this is gives us a minute to breath but who the gently caress knows whats coming

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/us/politics/obama-trump-protections-lgbt-workers.html?_r=0

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Gotta appreciate the small miracles while they last, I guess. :unsmith:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Glazier posted:

Hey Nazi, get the gently caress out. No one wants your bullshit here either.

LOL

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

well at least this is gives us a minute to breath but who the gently caress knows whats coming

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/us/politics/obama-trump-protections-lgbt-workers.html?_r=0

i won't believe it'll last until the day trump leaves office, but i'll take what i loving can

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Small benefit of Trump being a loose cannon I guess? I do enjoy the general indifference and contempt he presents to the religious right. Maybe he can disillusion enough of them that they go crawling back into their churches and out of the political sphere.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
He seems to have made a sort of political calculation where he will try to molify the evangelicals with abortion stuff while being more liberal on gay stuff, probably because he doesn't give a poo poo about women's rights. He's already done executive orders on abortion and his one promise for SCOTUS justices is that they would be pro-life.

But there's still FADA to worry about, which could be worse.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 31, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Glazier posted:

Get as many firearms as you can afford, train with them, and carry at least one on your person at all times. Be alert and be ready, they are coming for us soon.

Get help.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I mean honestly depending on where you live, owning a pistol or something for self defense isn't a bad idea, just don't own it for crazy :tinfoil: reasons.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Krysmphoenix posted:

fixed that for you

that said, since we still raise boys and girls in very different ways, I can still see why wanting separate scouting programs may make sense to some, but it's still obnoxious at time. Maybe in time the US scouting programs will merge.

Oh, sorry, to be clear, Girl Guides of Canada is still its own thing. Scouts Canada just allows anyone to enroll. My troupe had two girls and my gender-non-specific self in it.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

The Dark One posted:

Oh, sorry, to be clear, Girl Guides of Canada is still its own thing. Scouts Canada just allows anyone to enroll. My troupe had two girls and my gender-non-specific self in it.

Isn't that normal for non-US western countries? NZ is the same, pretty sure Australia is too.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

I did, from Blazing Sword

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Yardbomb posted:

I mean honestly depending on where you live, owning a pistol or something for self defense isn't a bad idea, just don't own it for crazy :tinfoil: reasons.

Owning a gun for self defense is a crazy reason.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

*dies by police-involved shooting/home invasion for being trans*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Shbobdb posted:

There's really no situation where a gun helps. Like we always tell conservatives guns either escalate a situation or are useless against the threat.

If the gestapo come after us for realsies were not going to be able to fight back with guns. All you're going to do is accidentally shoot some dude I'm a trenchcoat because he looked kinda shifty.

• Locked thread