Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

GlyphGryph posted:

PJ can't poltergeist, he couldn't deliver a note.

Or write one.

pj is a hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

You mean Burnodile

Haha, whoops!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update. Someone called this, actually. Congrats, you.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Good pull Akett

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Honestly I can't shake the feeling someone else in the thread called it way back, but I don't know who and I'm not sure either way.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
good work either way, if it werent for that post I'd have no idea who that was (though it'd probably have been more clear in the next 2-3 pages).

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

And then it turns out that she didn't give that note to Max after all and has no agenda besides friendship.

On another note, noticing that she only speaks in lowercase. Not sure if significant or not, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Still no confirmation this is the note-giver. Just wait, we're going to go through the entire secondary cast.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Max gave himself the note

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This kid can see the Doctopus and can break the 4th wall, she's going to induct Max into the even more elite organization of characters who know they're in a webcomic, in recognition for his snarky, plot-hole-poking ways. She did look straight at the audience on the Shockodile / Burnhound splash page. Or she's just looking at his arm and didn't even give him the note, whatever.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I gotta say, I like that's there's a large amount of consistent background characters Zack can pull from and I hope we get to interact with them in the future. Like I want to know what's up with smug blonde anime shockodile with green eyes who seems to be jukebox trolling everyone and might have a (mild?) beef with Max. There's also the girl in the yellow shirt in that first shot of the school store who I'm guessing is one of the bullies in Lisa's employ, also seen in the hallway Isabel exited into. I can't wait for extremely anime hair kid to turn out to be the secret council president, if it doesn't end up being Cody or something.

While I'm on a guessing spree, I think Hijack is in Principal Pleezdoo, her head is brain shaped like he is. There's no evidence that Hijack left Jeff before everyone burst in. That eye thing that made Spender think Hijack is in one of the three teachers might have something to do with why Mr. Garcia is leaving school grounds.

Countblanc posted:

good work either way, if it werent for that post I'd have no idea who that was (though it'd probably have been more clear in the next 2-3 pages).

Glad I could help. It feels good to be using my archive navigation skills again.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I just went through the last 60 pages of this thread, if anyone mentioned nerd girl either I missed it or it was before the existence of the note and would just be about her watching the bus jumping. Maybe it was on twitter or something? I'm not gonna put any more energy into this. If someone quotes a post about her I'll concede the credit, but I will no longer feel guilty if this just rests.

As for my last post, everyone and their mother was guessing Hijack jumped into the Principal, so I guess I'm just resurfacing thread ancestral memories.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

more like e = otp!! she's joining the crew!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BlackPersona posted:

On another note, noticing that she only speaks in lowercase. Not sure if significant or not, though.

That unremarkable.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Probably just signifies her speaking more quietly than everyone else. To me it seems like she speaks quietly and without much emotion.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I was just reminded of the sad twins in the Hitball team lineup page, and it made my morning.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Akett posted:

I gotta say, I like that's there's a large amount of consistent background characters Zack can pull from and I hope we get to interact with them in the future.

My hope is that it's like the Venture Bros and every background character shown has a fully written background/personality to be shown off 5 seasons chapters later.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Gots to rereading the Hitball chapter and our new friend keeps on popping up.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Calaveron posted:

poo poo talking aside yeah, old paranatural consistently had backgrounds instead of pastel gradients and the occasional scene establishing splash page

I also prefer the older, more amateur looking art but I that's just my opinion

kinda late but :same:

I feel like he's prob more pressured to a deadline ever since joining hiveworks?

I've seen her in a few bgs in the classrooms that Max enters.

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 31, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lastgirl posted:

kinda late but :same:

I feel like he's prob more pressured to a deadline ever since joining hiveworks?

Also he hurt his wrist a few times so he's now avoiding unnecessary details.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I kinda don't give a poo poo about this girl? Or Flipflop? Or any new characters at this point in any meaningful sense? Paranatural is fun as a biweekly snark and funny faces dispensing machine, but the continual piling on of more and more people has me losing interest in it at a narrative level just for how bogged down it's getting. Venture Bros. is an interesting comparison, because I think they manage things better by both demonstrating early on that they can actually wrap longer-term plots up satisfyingly with all of Season Two, but also because they don't necessarily put a lot of narrative weight on those self-same background folks, and are willing to ditch something if it has run its course or just isn't worth the investment anymore (Triana, The Moppets, ORB). There isn't some grand mystery to the entire series the way Zack has built up with Spender, Ed's parents, Zarei, Day, Boss Leader, Max's mom, Garcia, Dmitri, Isaac, and basically half the people who have appeared in a panel. It just feels like too much build-up, to the point that the pay-off will almost inevitably be disappointing.

blah blah serial/archive blah blah just stop reading then blah blah this conversation has been happening for literal years

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The problems aren't the characters themselves, but we've got about half a dozen really interesting plotlines that are just being buried under new introduction after new introduction.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Cat Mattress posted:

Also he hurt his wrist a few times so he's now avoiding unnecessary details.

yeah, going as strong on backgrounds as he did earlier was actively destructive to his health. probably a good idea for him to dial it back a notch!

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

A big flaming stink posted:

The problems aren't the characters themselves, but we've got about half a dozen really interesting plotlines that are just being buried under new introduction after new introduction.

I agree. Each of these elements on their own are fun (sometimes downright fantastic), but when they're all competing for narrative space it just bogs things down.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Agreed! I am interested in the Soul Society but not so much in ~school intrigue~ or the development of tertiary characters. This might seem like a technical nit pick but I feel like if Zack wanted to tell the story of Cody and Violet reacting to the hitball events it would be better off in a spinoff or something. I can relate to Max in being overwhelmed and not too engaged in all of it, and that's kind of a bad sign!

Like I would say the point in the "main plot" right now is "find hijack before he does something nasty" and we've been sitting on that plot point with no progress for many pages while other things develop. It's like they're in a video game getting a bunch of side quests out of the way before moving on.

Fecha fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 31, 2017

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
not to mention the "what the hell is up with Spender" plots

not to mention the "what the hell is up with Mayview" plots

not to mention the "what the hell is up Boss Leader et al" plots

not to mention the "what the hell is up with doorman/angel voice/forge" plots

not to mention the "what WHAT Max has a secret possession" that we're 1 1/2 months out of the 4 year anniversary of it's intro page.

jesus christ

If Zack wants to tell a jokeman crazyface comic he has to stop making his plots unfold like a reverse boredom matryoshka doll

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
don't worry, the "secret" the new girl knows is actually the answer to all of those things.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

It's probably just that he rolled through a bus. He flew right over her head.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i'm going to call the new girl shynstein until probably friday's page

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How about Obvious Crush Girl

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

How about anxious person #14

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

not to mention the "what the hell is up with Spender" plots

not to mention the "what the hell is up with Mayview" plots

not to mention the "what the hell is up Boss Leader et al" plots

not to mention the "what the hell is up with doorman/angel voice/forge" plots

not to mention the "what WHAT Max has a secret possession" that we're 1 1/2 months out of the 4 year anniversary of it's intro page.

jesus christ

If Zack wants to tell a jokeman crazyface comic he has to stop making his plots unfold like a reverse boredom matryoshka doll
If you want to see what happens to your comic if you just keep rolling out new characters and subplots with hardly any resolution for many many years, then take a look at Girl Genius.

Not to say that Paranatural is even close to that yet, but it is something you have to rein in.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pants Donkey posted:

If you want to see what happens to your comic if you just keep rolling out new characters and subplots with hardly any resolution for many many years, then take a look at Girl Genius.

Not to say that Paranatural is even close to that yet, but it is something you have to rein in.

Or Bleach. Which also devolved into having no backgrounds.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
same

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That last quarter panel, oh my god

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

JUST

KID

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I guess she's not as tertiary as she seems if he's wanted to write about her for so long

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I still can't quite tell what sort of vibe I'm getting from her eyes.

Like when we first saw her in the "PREFERS SCIENCE CLASS" shirt, I just thought she was zoned out imagining herself being in science class instead of having to deal with the realities of anime ball, but now I don't really know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabachinova
May 6, 2007

You say...

You say you'd still rather wear the outfit.
She has the same weird eyes that P.J has.