Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

iospace posted:

Well, why is it bad? So we can explain to our other friends (I say this as someone who legitimately doesn't know why)

I try to avoid it as of late but it's basically locker room bro culture from 2005. Reminds me of a combination of Sports By Brooks and First Take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BWV posted:

I try to avoid it as of late but it's basically locker room bro culture from 2005.

You mean the same culture that exists today too?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

iospace posted:

You mean the same culture that exists today too?

Yea exactly. I guess that's why it's annoying when my friends talk about it. I get 19 year olds loving it but I want to believe people grow out of clickbait tits and hot takes.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BWV posted:

Yea exactly. I guess that's why it's annoying when my friends talk about it. I get 19 year olds loving it but I want to believe people grow out of clickbait tits and hot takes.

Yeah, most don't.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Brent Musburger is literally retiring to start a sports handicapping company

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Henchman of Santa posted:

Brent Musburger is literally retiring to start a sports handicapping company

Wait, what?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://awfulannouncing.com/2017/brent-musburger-is-retiring-next-week.html

Yep

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wonder if he was given the retire or get fired ultimatum

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I'm really glad that Brent is being given the opportunity it to start over as a bookie and I hope you all share in my opinion.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Good night, Sweet Prince.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drOTHJoTGhM&

Brent pre-2006/Jenn Sterger was amazing. This 2000 Purdue-OSU game with Brees slinging it around is peak-Musburger in my bias mind.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Musburger had lost his fastball since his heyday but really had been phoning it in once he was demoted to the SEC Network. I imagine the Joe Mixon rant was the last straw and the network is letting him "retire" graciously instead of giving him the boot (and opening themselves up to legal action).

Between Vin/Uncle Verne/Dick Enberg and now Brent, one step closer to driving all personality out of the sport and replacing it with cookie-cutter interchangeable white male Syracuse grads.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

That wouldn't shock me at all.

Like Koop said, he was already halfway out the door and it wouldn't surprise me if the Mixon thing effectively finished it.

E: If anyone missed the Joe Mixon thing here you go. It's pretty uncomfortable.

E2: Brent's brother, who is also his agent, says Brent wasn't forced out (yeah, OK...) and has some new venture to be announced soon. Potentially some manner of betting/handicapping radio show on Sirius/XM

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 25, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

That wouldn't shock me at all.

Like Koop said, he was already halfway out the door and it wouldn't surprise me if the Mixon thing effectively finished it.

E: If anyone missed the Joe Mixon thing here you go. It's pretty uncomfortable.

E2: Brent's brother, who is also his agent, says Brent wasn't forced out (yeah, OK...) and has some new venture to be announced soon. Potentially some manner of betting/handicapping radio show on Sirius/XM

Speaking of Musburger and bad opinions, have some more! https://www.thenation.com/article/after-forty-four-years-its-time-brent-musburger-apologized-john-carlos-and-tommie-smith/

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

iospace posted:

He's pushing 80. Not everyone is going to have the energy to call games as long as Vin Scully.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

BWV posted:

I try to avoid it as of late but it's basically locker room bro culture from 2005. Reminds me of a combination of Sports By Brooks and First Take.

Was the mystery of what happened to Sports By Brooks ever solved?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Niwrad posted:

You know today before I posted that I googled it and I ended up on a business insider article that linked me to a flickr page with all their old photos. I then somehow forgot what I was researching

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Niwrad posted:

someone whose name escapes me found the guy who founded SbB, but just as the article was going to go live it was pulled. The reason being "some people just don't want to be found"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tommy Smyth has left ESPN and will do color commentary for the Philadelphia Union now

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Erin Andrews was on Colbert tonight. She is a cool lady.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Niwrad posted:

Ran out of Denise Milani pics.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Details on Musberger's new radio show. Daily shows:

quote:

Bernstein by the Book (3-5 p.m. ET) — Mainly hosted by Al Bernstein and some various guest hosts, this show will bring listeners interviews and conversations with Las Vegas personalities and from the world of sports.

The Quantz (5-6 p.m. ET) — Hosted by Gill Alexander, this show will look at sabermetrics and take a statistical approach to sports.

My Guys in the Desert (6-8 p.m. ET) — Brent will host this show Thursday through Monday. The official announcement says the show “will examine what goes in to creating the spread or the odds and what makes those numbers move, and will showcase Musburger’s adept storytelling and experiences from a remarkable career.”

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brent, you are no Al Michaels

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So here's a unique one.

Arlo White is going to call both games of a Premier League double-header (Arsenal/Chelsea, then Spurs/Middlesbrough), and use motorbike taxi to get him between the stadiums

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Apparently a 16 minute or so ride, depending on how horrific traffic is.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

algebra testes posted:

Apparently a 16 minute or so ride, depending on how horrific traffic is.

it's London, so it's going to be very horrific. He'd be better off getting the District line to Victoria then Victoria line to Seven Sisters

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FSN and Colleen Dominguez have settled her age discrimination suit out of court

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fox? Being sexist pigs?

WHY I NEVER.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Steve Smith is going to be on NFL network

oh man :munch:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/827169769661022209

I remember when they aired WNBA games early in the league's existence so it's not that much of a stretch

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/827169769661022209

I remember when they aired WNBA games early in the league's existence so it's not that much of a stretch

It's better than nothing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I had ESPN on as background noise for the first time in a while.

(away from home and just needed some noise while I worked).

It was literally like 3 and a half hours of people screaming opinions at each other..

PTI really did indirectly ruin sports television it feels like.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FuzzySkinner posted:

I had ESPN on as background noise for the first time in a while.

(away from home and just needed some noise while I worked).

It was literally like 3 and a half hours of people screaming opinions at each other..

PTI really did indirectly ruin sports television it feels like.
That's not new either.

PTI started that and then it mutated into First Take and the really bad stuff

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
PTI is good though. At least it used to be back when I watched it 500 years ago.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
PTI works because they don't take it that seriously and they have a short time limit for every topic.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The PTI guys have a lot of really dumb hot takes but Kornheiser tends to be charming enough that no one really notices

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Plus they have a natural rapport that every dumb debate show doesn't see and doesn't try. They just see two guys yelling at each other = ratings and go from there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spoeank posted:

Plus they have a natural rapport that every dumb debate show doesn't see and doesn't try. They just see two guys yelling at each other = ratings and go from there.

Didn't someone here said someone noticed their arguments in the WaPo break room, decided to put them in front of a camera, and told them to cut the swearing?

iospace fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 4, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spoeank posted:

You mean there's nothing natural about Max Kellerman screaming "Catch those vapors, Stephen A!"?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

You mean there's nothing natural about Max Kellerman screaming "Catch those vapors, Stephen A!"?

I sure love watching ESPN3 games and seeing that commercial literally about two dozen times each game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sports Broadcasting Thread: International House of Hot Takes