Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

it may be happening

I doubt goog has the balls to revoke Symantec CAs from chome. they'd be shutting off part of the internet for their users and they care more about those ad dollars than security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
on the other hand if they could get Microsoft and failfox on board it would be a hell of a thing. so much poo poo would break.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Don't they usually pick an issue date to no longer accept certs from the CA instead of a full revoke in situations like this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

I doubt goog has the balls to revoke Symantec CAs from chome. they'd be shutting off part of the internet for their users and they care more about those ad dollars than security.

they would revoke after a certain date, not retroactively

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah really

i have a micro-usb cable from i think google's gift bag at enigma 2016 that you can toggle between power only and data (although i've forgotten which is which)

be kinda slick except no devices of value support micro usb

Yeah, these are pretty neat. At the time they came out, USB C wasn't really a big thing. I've been hoping for this for USB C though, it will be glorious if it does come.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/826197552995373057

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Secretary of Cyber position created and Barron appointed, natch

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3424611/Read-the-Trump-administration-s-draft-of-the.pdf

who knows if it's real

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

hes banned Club Penguin, the worlds premier jihadi communication tool

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The Cyber Realm

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

come and play my lord

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

This doesn't look retarded enough to be real

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apseudonym posted:

This doesn't look retarded enough to be real

don't say retarded

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

don't say retarded

:shrug:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
guy I helped with the eyepyramid analysis finally released his writeup: http://blog.talosintel.com/2017/01/Eye-Pyramid.html

some notes:

quote:

The sample is written in .Net and it is heavily obfuscated. Although at first sight we can also extract some interesting strings which are useful for possible ClamAV or Yara signatures. The author paid attention to hide the core functionalities by using either known .Net obfuscators or cryptography to hide crucial information such as URLs, email addresses and credentials.

as I noted before, the obfuscators, for one reason or another, were actually unable to hide a large number of uniquely identifying strings, for example argument or enum names, such as hgrghk, tmpwebshell and THISPROPERRUN. go ahead and google them, they're unique to eyepyramid and will reveal a few more samples (that however don't appear to be downloadable. anyone have access to a yara-searchable repository and wants to give me a hand?). the order for custody against the occhioneros pops up in that search too and it's full of details on the c&c infrastructure and the kind of exfiltrated data... I should really go and reread it more closely, and cross-reference it with what I have

quote:

Generally speaking, reversing .Net applications is not a difficult task because it is possible to decompile the binary. There are many tools do it such as ILSpy, dotPeek, etc. We first tried decompiling the sample with ILSpy but the obfuscation was heavy and all over the place. As a result the ILSpy output was not very useful and we had problems identifying the entry point of the application. The sample cannot be debugged, and it does not run inside virtual machines due to several and sometimes trivial (but effective) anti-debugging and anti-vm checks.

dotpeek works a little better, but barely: it still produces non-compiling output, due to not supporting visual basic, which produces .net code that can't be decompiled to c# - some examples:
  • vb has byref variables, but c# can only do ref arguments
  • vb's on error resume next construct yields a spaghetti dish of switches, gotos and try-excepts that no decompiler can currently unravel
  • vb emits exception catch filters that can't be expressed in c#
vb also emits certain statements and expressions as calls to internal runtime library functions. ilspy nominally supports vb, but it doesn't seem to know that, say, a call to the string comparison function can be decompiled to a string comparison expression, which is more concise and immediately readable. or that calls to ProjectData.SetProjectError are unnecessary because the compiler automatically inserts them

the entry point is actually easy to find: just ask dotpeek (or dnspy) to jump to it. sure, you can't grep for "main" because it's been renamed by the obfuscator, but the metadata can't be obfuscated so much that the entry point isn't hardcoded in the executable and easy to look up (or the executable won't run!). for example, in my sample, the entry point is token 600003D, as shown by a simple dumpbin /clrheader:
pre:
Microsoft (R) COFF/PE Dumper Version 14.00.23918.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Dump of file d3ad32bcb255e56cd2a768b3cbf6bafda88233288fc6650d0dfa3810be75f74c.bin

File Type: EXECUTABLE IMAGE

clr Header:

48 cb
            2.05 runtime version
           CFF54 [  10DD60] RVA [size] of MetaData Directory
               1 flags
                   IL Only
         600003D entry point token
          1DDCB4 [    6E02] RVA [size] of Resources Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of StrongNameSignature Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of CodeManagerTable Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of VTableFixups Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of ExportAddressTableJumps Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of ManagedNativeHeader Directory

Summary

2000 .reloc
       42000 .rsrc
        2000 .sdata
      1E4000 .text
if we dump the raw IL disassembly with another basic tool like ildasm, we'll see that token 600003D is static method sCmC2l6KkDsh1x8asULRL1PGbAx8asULRL1PGbABAvEd7g8ENYEAFxPIULW8eacA of class kYtRMaTKS2nV0kYtRMaTKS2nVAPOcntMo7f1m7A1LkTwxy7wES1A1LkTwxy7wESA. in fact we could use ildasm alone, as it helpfully marks the entry point method with the ".entrypoint" directive:
code:
.class /*02000009*/ public auto ansi sealed kYtRMaTKS2nV0kYtRMaTKS2nVAPOcntMo7f1m7A1LkTwxy7wES1A1LkTwxy7wESA
       extends [mscorlib/*23000001*/]System.Object/*01000012*/
{
  .custom /*0C000027:0A000012*/ instance void [Microsoft.VisualBasic/*23000002*/]
Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.StandardModuleAttribute
/*01000014*/::.ctor() /* 0A000012 */ = ( 01 00 00 00 ) 
  .method /*0600003D*/ public static void 
          sCmC2l6KkDsh1x8asULRL1PGbAx8asULRL1PGbABAvEd7g8ENYEAFxPIULW8eacA() cil managed noinlining nooptimization
  {
    .entrypoint
    // ...
easy peasy!

quote:

For instance, it creates a registry key named 'default.reg' and it is added to the registry by directly invoking the regedit command.

this is glossing over a couple important points. first, all writes to the registry, both additions and deletions, go through temporary .reg files passed to regedit (yes! .reg files can delete keys and values, other than adding/changing them. it's a little known feature), no idea why. maybe the malware author was lazy

second, the default.reg file is extremely interesting. not only it seems part of a named component, as its full name is in fact Shutil.default.reg (and there's a few other unobfuscated references to "shutil" scattered about), but it does many, many things of note. I'm extrapolating a little, but it seems to:
  • lower the security level of office suite applications, including apparently whitelisting dangerous attachments in outlook
  • lower the security level of internet explorer (or so I assume)
  • adds several antivirus main executables (avgnt.exe, avguard.exe, etc.) under the DisallowRun group policy. the article mentions this too
  • disables wpf sandboxing or something like that
  • disables all security center and windows firewall alerts. nasty!
  • specifically disables "antivirus disabled" security center alerts for a dozen av products
  • mucks with a couple security policies: sets EnableLUA to 0 and LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy to 1. no idea what these do but it can't be anything nice
  • enables the clearing of the swap file at shutdown. not sure what this is meant to accomplish
  • disables the security center service for good measure
  • configures some services for autostart, like CryptSvc, HTTPFilter (server-side https, part of iis), ose (part of the office installer), WebClient (webdav client), wuauserv (Windows update). weird, weird, weird! most of these make sense but what does it care about HTTPFilter or ose?
  • the weirdest yet: configures the windows time service. default.reg contains a full dump of the configuration from (I assume) the dev's machine, but I'm not sure what are the relevant parameters. some parameters, in fact, seem completely obsolete in windows 10, and I wonder if applying this configuration isn't actually liable to screw up the time service unpredictably. the parameters that I can find on my machine, on the other hand, have identical values, so I wonder if it's just meant as a way to reset the configuration to the default

here is the whole thing for your reading pleasure: http://pastebin.com/28BdEsvY

something about default.reg rubs me the wrong way. it looks copy pasted from another project, as the list of av software doesn't match the list embedded in the executable, there's a couple of weird comments embedded in it, and there's that component name (Shutil). sadly I don't get any google matches for the weird random alphanumeric strings in comments

quote:

The next step is to check and 'fix' the security descriptors of many folders via 'cacls.exe'. Specifically, this code is interested in the Windows Firewall and a long list of possible antivirus software (among them also 'ClamAV for Windows'). To find these programs the malware looks in typical locations such as ProgramFiles, ProgramFiles (x86), etc. You can see from the picture below 'cacls.exe' and part of the security products list:

or more specifically:
  • for each of program files directory, 32-bit program files directory, local app data, common program files:
    • for each subdirectory (Ad-Aware Antivirus, Alice Total Security, AhnLab, etc.), if it exists:
      • recursively grant full access to administrators, users, system. some antivirus software protects itself with restrictive acls and I guess this is supposed to undo that protection
      • recursively revoke full access to current user. I suppose this is to (superficially) prevent the user from fixing it
      • recursively, for each file: deny access to system, users, administrators. this prevents the targeted antivirus software from running or accessing any of its files

quote:

As we already said the sample is still obfuscated and it massively adopts cryptography. As reported by other sources, the strings are encrypted with 3DES. Here we report how the key is generated and the overall structure for the encryption phase. The key is an array of 16 booleans at the beginning all set to false. The key is initialized in the the steps listed in the table below. The result of every step is a boolean value (true/false).

minus the fancy graphics, I have already given you a thorough (and much more accurate, ha) rundown of this part in my previous Dead Gay Forums Exclusive Report

quote:

so much for my scruples :suicide: dude redact that poo poo, you're a professional goddamnit :cripes:

quote:

If this is less than 46.5 GB and the operating system is Windows XP, this is not a valid environment

:fishmech: actually hard drives use base 10 units so no, it's 50 GB

quote:

Another interesting point is related to the way in which the domains are rotated. This is not a real a domain generation algorithm (DGA), because the domains are not generated on the fly. This is simply how the agent gets the required information. This works in the following way:

I didn't get around to it but yes, it does this! another clue that some thought was put into this malware

quote:

The exfiltration is done mainly via email and partially via WebDAV and HTTP.

in the sample me and this guy analyzed, this entire part of code is, actually, completely unused and effectively dead :eng101: so this is all at best an educated guess. I mean the code does do what he says it does, but from this sample alone we have no idea what conditions actually trigger it, and what kind of data is actually exfiltrated. well, in fact, I have an idea about some of the data: operational logs, for example, are encrypted and sent as s/mime emails; plus, there's a component that screen scrapes the page currently open in IE, makes a list of all form fields, serializes it to xml, compresses it, and e-mails it; maybe more but my time to play with eyepyramid ran out

quote:

There are other executables that appear to be executed, such as 'stkr.exe', but the analysis of that malware in beyond the scope of this post. For the reader interested in a further analysis, the sha256 for 'stkr.exe' is: 0af665d7d81871474039f08d96ba067d5a0bd5a95088009ea7344d23a27ca824.

this sample is publicly known and downloadable. I might give it a shot. some time. maybe

well. I looked at the strings dump at least. all of our good old friends like THISPROPERRUN, THISCANDIDATE, tmpwebshell and of course our beloved star, hgrghk are all there having a party. sadly string dumps aren't indexed for searching so I can't use the known keywords to find other samples under https://www.hybrid-analysis.com/

quote:

The authors would like to thank the research community for sharing the hashes and 'hackbunny' for the support and information sharing.

:tipshat:

quote:

Posted by Paul Rascagneres at 2:40 PM

this isn't the guy I helped with the analysis btw, it must be his boss

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hackbunny best bunny

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

hackbunny posted:

so much for my scruples :suicide: dude redact that poo poo, you're a professional goddamnit :cripes:

almost forgot! one of the passwords you can see in that string dump is "caccoletta". it means "litte booger". themoreyouknow.gif

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

hackbunny best bunny

this. but what happened to your av hackbunny?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cheese-cube posted:

I was wondering the same thing. Who hates you enough to anime it up like that?

Unless it was you, then uh... :yikes:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

someone's idea of a joke

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

http://www.wrdw.com/content/news/Washington-Road-billboard-gets-hacked-shows-curse-words-to-describe-jewelry-412169543.html

https://twitter.com/le_keksec/status/825533000318275585

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

shame it seems to have been done by a terrible white nationalist 4channer, kinda taints the whole thing

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Security Fuckup Megathread - v13.2 - car go bep bep

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ate all the Oreos posted:

shame it seems to have been done by a terrible white nationalist 4channer, kinda taints the whole thing

oh ew

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
says someone called keksec of all things

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

a redditor posted:

Shhhhh... I'm an engineer for a digital billboard company. Billboards are 100% not hackable. It's all just still images / animations / video files loaded into a playlist. So don't spoil the magic for people who want to believe this is real. If any changes were needed to be made, it would be done off site and saved as a flat image file. It would take too much time for the usually cheap rear end PC in the sign to render a Photoshop or .Ai file every time the sign changes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

w...hat...

Phoenixan posted:

says someone called keksec of all things

they're the people that hacked it, according to the article

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I want to believe

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if they're anything like the ones around here they're straight up windows PCs with VNC directly exposed to the internet. they're also paired with an ip cam directly on the internet, used to verify the displayed image remotely

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

...why would it have to be a Photoshop or AI file? why does the file type mean that nobody can connect to the computer and put up their own image / animation / video file?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommunistPancake posted:

...why would it have to be a Photoshop or AI file? why does the file type mean that nobody can connect to the computer and put up their own image / animation / video file?

Idk that guy is a digital billboard engineer, better trust him

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

He explains later on that there's a hash for each image (or something like that). So the new file won't display because there's no way that someone that has managed to compromise the computer to load the images can replace the hashes.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

hackbunny posted:

• mucks with a couple security policies: sets EnableLUA to 0 and LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy to 1. no idea what these do but it can't be anything nice
turns off UAC and "UAC remote restrictions". if you connect to a computer via smb with a local account with admin privs (as opposed to a domain account with local admin privs) windows usually disables the admin group in your token. the second setting turns that off, I don't know where the point is when UAC is already disabled but maybe it's in order to keep access if someone turns UAC back on via the control panel

Bonfire Lit fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 31, 2017

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

flosofl posted:

He explains later on that there's a hash for each image (or something like that). So the new file won't display because there's no way that someone that has managed to compromise the computer to load the images can replace the hashes.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

You see, it's unhackable, because the hacker would have to go through a few minutes extra of work to hack it. Nobody's ever wasted a bunch of time to do something pointless and funny on the internet.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

funniest part of the article is the local TV news insisting that Augusta is a growing wizard capital

put that on the sign because that's funny

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'm the "vial stuff put up there"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Bonfire Lit posted:

turns off UAC and "UAC remote restrictions". if you connect to a computer via smb with a local account with admin privs (as opposed to a domain account with local admin privs) windows usually disables the admin group in your token. the second setting turns that off, I don't know where the point is when UAC is already disabled but maybe it's in order to keep access if someone turns UAC back on via the control panel

I don't get the point though! it seems completely unrelated to anything the malware does

btw remember that webdav folder that investigators missed? and the files I downloaded from it? I managed to decrypt two out of four, and they're lists of accounts on gmx.com. nothing new basically, just a copy of data investigators already found elsewhere. I wonder about the other two files... my sample contains no reference to them. I'll try to brute force them, all I need to do is reverse sha1 a couple short, simple strings. why can't I use existing rainbow tables you ask, because the idiot hell fucker who cumpissed this abortion of a malware encodes the strings in utf-16 before hashing them, I answer

• Locked thread