Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Welp. Guess I'm not giving Yakuza 0 any more chances, after all. I played like an hour, then I had to go. I saw no way to save. So I assumed (perhaps foolishly) that Autosave occurred. Booted up just now and nope. No save.

Not going through all that initial slow boring bullshit again.

Outtie five thousand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

haveblue posted:

It sounds good on paper, but they tried this for The Last Guardian and tons of people think the game is obtuse and glitchy even though there's only one animal and they had way longer to polish it.

Fulchrum posted:

So you want the player to have to differentiate the mood of these things in real time while half a dozen are attacking and 3 others are defending. Does the phrase cluster gently caress mean anything to you?

I'm not understanding how this task would be more difficult than most other third person action games where you have to quickly decide what enemies to attack or not at a given time to not get killed by looking at what animations they're doing or what attacks are/aren't happening. Like I said earlier I'm not expecting anything super detailed just, if most of the things you confront in the game are huge robotic animals, and the only "moods" in the game are "complies with the player" or "kills the player" it should be pretty obvious which ones are trying to kill you without having them glow bright red.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 31, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

What do they do to differentiate hostile and friendlies of the same species?

You chase and murder hostiles and wear friendlies as armor/weapons.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Feenix posted:

Welp. Guess I'm not giving Yakuza 0 any more chances, after all. I played like an hour, then I had to go. I saw no way to save. So I assumed (perhaps foolishly) that Autosave occurred. Booted up just now and nope. No save.

Outtie five thousand.

i am like 99% positive the game directs you to a save point within five minutes of starting chapter 1

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

i am like 99% positive the game directs you to a save point within five minutes of starting chapter 1

It does. Every save point is also marked with an obvious S mark.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Feenix posted:

Outtie five thousand.

owned

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Outtie five thousand.
In 6 they finally implemented auto save along with a bunch of other features that have been standard in other open world games for several years, so you could just wait until that one comes out in English next year or something?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gotta rise from those ashes feenix

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I honestly don't know why people play games right before they need to go out anyway. I mean, Yakuza 0 should have implemented an auto save but you honestly were kind of asking for trouble doing that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why didn't you just put your PS4 into rest mode

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why didn't you just put your PS4 into rest mode

That would involve thinking critically for half a second, why do that when you can post your daily whine on the internet

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe other people want to play the PS4 while they are away or something?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I just promised myself to only play the games on easy. I love the storylines, but the boss fights get to be bullshit by the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Feenix posted:

Outtie five thousand.

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feenix posted:

Welp. Guess I'm not giving Yakuza 0 any more chances, after all. I played like an hour, then I had to go. I saw no way to save.

I'm not sure if the problem is with the game...

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
When are they planning on announcing the PSN games for February? I know the rumor mill is talking Lego Batman and Gravity Rush Remastered, but I really hope they come stronger than that. Those are both kinda weak, imo.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine calling last guardian the best game of 2016 when Doom came out in 2016.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ramagamma posted:

Imagine calling last guardian the best game of 2016 when Doom came out in 2016.

I don't have to imagine

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crazy how 2 of the best single player FPS games in forever came out last year (DOOM and TF2)

Is there any other interesting single player FPS games coming out??

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't have to imagine

Imagine calling last guardian the best game of the year in the same year you could play rocket leauge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
DOOM is game of the year, The Last Guardian is game of the decade. Because that's how long it took them to make it :colbert:.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Crazy how 2 of the best single player FPS games in forever came out last year (DOOM and TF2)

Is there any other interesting single player FPS games coming out??

Nothing new but BF1's single player is surprisingly great. I liked it better than TF2 and Doom.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ramagamma posted:

Imagine calling last guardian the best game of the year in the same year you could play rocket leauge.

I mean if we're going there I played Bloodborne in 2016, so....

revolther
May 27, 2008
Seems kinda silly to critique that Zero Dawn clip as it's fairly obvious it's the dialog puzzle at the end of a five minute sidequest. Game is gonna have an open world nature, I can't imagine there are any lovely scenes of 1-shot NPC's in GTA5 or Second Son or whatever.

The game will still be "meh, it's pretty enough for a play through" like all Guerrilla games.

It's just silly, "I like good acting in video games", says a bunch of folks heavily invested in The Walking Dead and 3 extra seasons of Breaking Bad.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Most game acting & dialogue is awful, not every game is going to be The Witcher 3.

That clip was terrible, but I wouldn't write off the entire game just on that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've only played one Killzone game but I don't understand how the developer could have jumped from that to anything creative and interesting. I mean, I can see other videos of it in action but I'm still pretty incredulous.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I never expected the plot or acting of horizon to be good and that never affected how interested I was in it. if it's a cool robot dinosaur hunting game then I'll have gotten what I wanted out of it. if not, oh well but the dialogue is incidental to that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

revolther posted:

Seems kinda silly to critique that Zero Dawn clip as it's fairly obvious it's the dialog puzzle at the end of a five minute sidequest. Game is gonna have an open world nature, I can't imagine there are any lovely scenes of 1-shot NPC's in GTA5 or Second Son or whatever.

The game will still be "meh, it's pretty enough for a play through" like all Guerrilla games.

It's just silly, "I like good acting in video games", says a bunch of folks heavily invested in The Walking Dead and 3 extra seasons of Breaking Bad.

It's not just the voice-acting of one NPC, the shoddy character animations tell the real story of what kind of quality you're getting because they're gonna be used across the board for everything. Every single cutscene is guaranteed to use them, and they were the kind of poo poo laughed out the door of a first-year college class.

Have another look at the video and watch the way the faces actually work; There's no coherent relation between the eye and mouth movements, they each animate as individual objects sitting in/on the head in a way that hasn't been seen since the late 90's/early-00's. Nevermind the woman's head facing off to the side because whoops the animator tried to make her look aside and made it look even more unnatural. Most games at least use a character model that makes the face a single entire mesh so the animated expressions come off more natural instead of this idiotic mess.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quick question about plugging a wireless keyboard to the ps4. Can i use a normal one with its dongle or needs to be bluetooth?

revolther
May 27, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not just the voice-acting of one NPC, the shoddy character animations tell the real story of what kind of quality you're getting because they're gonna be used across the board for everything. Every single cutscene is guaranteed to use them, and they were the kind of poo poo laughed out the door of a first-year college class.

Have another look at the video and watch the way the faces actually work; There's no coherent relation between the eye and mouth movements, they each animate as individual objects sitting in/on the head in a way that hasn't been seen since the late 90's/early-00's. Nevermind the woman's head facing off to the side because whoops the animator tried to make her look aside and made it look even more unnatural. Most games at least use a character model that makes the face a single entire mesh so the animated expressions come off more natural instead of this idiotic mess.
I'm sorry that as a professional animator the CUTSCENES of this single player robot dinosaur shootmans game seem unrealistic enough to ruin your immersion.

I'll still be starting a cult intended to move away to the Canadian wilderness to cosplay the epic story of this ubisoft game.

You can still show support and kickstarter us money or used car parts through this link, https://bit.ly/ohmygod_shutthefuckup

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age has a release date now, July 11, 2017 for PlayStation 4 only.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

I said come in! posted:

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age has a release date now, July 11, 2017 for PlayStation 4 only.

I've been waiting years for this

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I honestly don't know why people play games right before they need to go out anyway. I mean, Yakuza 0 should have implemented an auto save but you honestly were kind of asking for trouble doing that.

I played for like an hour. Also call me when you're a parent. poo poo happens. :)

Besides, all you snark repliers, I still have yet to disparage the game. I didn't save/it didn't save...I wasn't enjoying It, so my only point was I guess it's not getting a second chance after all.

Lighten up. :)

Edit] I'll take my lumps, though... I had to go quickly and didn't see a save option in the menu and I swear I never came across a forced/obvious save point. Maybe I wasn't far enough? Still took nearly an hour (give or take) to get where I did...) and I am not enticed enough to repeat it.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 31, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nothing new but BF1's single player is surprisingly great. I liked it better than TF2 and Doom.

I've got a huge boner for Doom. TF2 was a huge surprise and I love that game. The only downside to TF2 multiplayer is that if your team is losing they are losing hard. I rarely have close games. It's usually one side completely stomping the other.

Which isn't a huge deal because the Attrition rounds last like 10 minutes tops.

I'm a giant BF1 fan. It's the game I'm playing 80% of the time when I have time to play multiplayer games. That being said, I don't get why people are so in love with it's single-player.

It seems like every other half-baked Battlefield campaign. It has some cool set pieces but for the most part I found it pretty unremarkable.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

As funny as that Zero Dawn clip was, the damage control about it is even better. "That's just an incidental cutscene it's supposed to be lovely."

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Feenix posted:

Outtie five thousand.
Why didn't you just suspend the system?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Gravity Rush 2 is so loving gigantic. I was trying to show a friend how you'll teleport if you fall to the edge of a zone and I ended up falling through a brief loading fog and into an entirely other, massive zone that I hadn't realized I was there.

The sheer sense of scale is one thing, but the fact that the game basically allows you to seamlessly tumble from giant area to giant area gives Gravity Rush 2 the sort gravitas that it deserves. It feels more expansive than GTA5. Sandbox games should really take notice and take notes. Gravity Rush 1 was a fantastic example of how to do a sandbox game on a portable, but GR2 is simply put a statement as to how to create a vibrant, lively world that's fun to simply traverse.

Like, I spent a whole hour just doing mining, and there's this one site where everything is kinda sideways and I loved just bouncing from island to island, smashing stuff, exploring around, and checking out all the pretty loving colors. Game's a sheer delight, a spectacle with real heart.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SLOSifl posted:

Why didn't you just suspend the system?

I have PSVR and I've lately gotten to the habit of doing an actual power down from time to time. It was a foolish mistake. I said as much in my initial post. I just found the beginning of the game sloggy and unengaging enough that I just don't think I care to do it again.

I gameflyed the game and my suspicions were that it probably wasn't for me anyway, but I'd thought I'd give it a little more time at least...

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Why did For Honor beta download 8 gig patch after the beta has ended? Also the game is fun but it's combat system needs some work. Rewards too much passive play after you get stuff like parries and counter guard breaks down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Why did For Honor beta download 8 gig patch after the beta has ended? Also the game is fun but it's combat system needs some work. Rewards too much passive play after you get stuff like parries and counter guard breaks down.

The 1 on 1 duels were fine, with depth and what seems like the ability to learn new strategies.

The game modes make to sense. 2 on 2 is determined by who gets the first kill because 2 on 1 is near impossible. And the Moba mode which I couldn't get working until I got bored seems worse. It will be 100% about who coordinates where to go better because outnumbering the opponent is almost an autowin.. I have no interest in that.