Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I like some very bad things too and generally don't get most of the harsh critique that's heaped on some things, a lot of that is just for show anyways. But liking the last thing because it's the one you remember really sounds like some brain issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's pretty interesting tbh. I wonder, if given the choice between the movie he last saw and any other one, which he'd pick.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
He sounds like a very cool guy. Does his girlfriend want him to flip his poo poo and argue about everything they watch or something?
:sever:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I wonder if he would enjoy two hours of test pattern with a 1 kHz tone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sjs00 posted:

He sounds like a very cool guy. Does his girlfriend want him to flip his poo poo and argue about everything they watch or something?
:sever:

She probably wants him to be capable of seeing that the last Indiana Jones movie was worse than the earlier ones no matter what order they watch them in

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I loved refridgerator Jones though!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

loquacius posted:

weird movie guy

My parents are like this, they don't really understand movies or shows. Also books are a no go unless it's been turned into a movie or is a flavor of the month type.

They really love reality TV though, maybe it's just a bad attention span combined with lack of imagination? Empathy is also difficult for them

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sjs00 posted:

I loved refridgerator Jones though!

hisssssss

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fried Watermelon posted:

My parents are like this, they don't really understand movies or shows. Also books are a no go unless it's been turned into a movie or is a flavor of the month type.

They really love reality TV though, maybe it's just a bad attention span combined with lack of imagination? Empathy is also difficult for them

I'm sorry to have to break this to you but your parents are literal spergs. Which stem discipline did they study?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

if your favorite alien is alien resurrection i think it goes without saying you're probably retarded

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Tolkien minority posted:

if your favorite alien is alien resurrection i think it goes without saying you're probably retarded

Same with the blade trilogy. If you liked Blade 2 the best, then you've got damage. Then again, if you like the blade movies at all you're at least a little dumb/have bad taste (like me :buddy:)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

loquacius posted:

hahaha stable poly posted:

That was how she described it,

If a girl ever says she's in a poly relationship (stable or not), you loving run. It never means anything good.

loquacius posted:

beep boop no opinion on things posted:

I have no idea if a movie or TV show is "bad" or "good".

If you've identified a problem, the next step is trying to fix it. Obviously you can't make yourself like a movie but you can at least try to emulate a regular human being by googling a list of critically acclaimed films and albums and mentioning things from those lists when asked.

Maybe try to guess which one is her favorite next time you marathon movies, then say you liked that one? Or, just call the mothership and have them repair your neural circuits. Sounds like a fuse is definitely blown somewhere in there.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The confessor with no taste is a superior being

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Maybe part of the problem is an underdeveloped sense of analysis or criticism. Not having the tools to identify why you like what you like makes you unable to speak Art, because all art is trying to convey something that's on the artists' minds, and liking a thing means it at least kind of succeeded. Reading or learning about the process of making art (such as a book on writing or filmmaking) might help, in the same way learning how a house is built can help you appreciate the design and craftsmanship :eng101:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Speleothing posted:

Dude with literally no taste probably has a brain issue? It's not like he has bad taste, he really just cannot recognize quality or style.

Sounds like a job for the local university's research department.
Back when we used to have the TvTropes mock threads, a few of them seemed to have this problem. Some of them went further and didn't even really understand the concept of themes or symbolism: it's as if every work of "fiction" is the author retelling a story that actually happened in exactly that way in some parallel universe. It doesn't make sense for a story to be "good" or "bad" because it just is, and the idea that the author made choices in how they told the story never occurs to them. It's like they read the term Death of the Author and decided to take it to a completely different level.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
So just autism then

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Once a month, I cleanse. Another goon posted something similar in this thread, so I'm glad I'm not alone. Mine is different though, and watching this week's episode of "It's always sunny in philadelphia" with the crow drink made me wanna send this in.

I eat rotten/rancid food for 24 hours straight. Milk past the expiration date, meat I've let sit out for a day or 2, old eggs and cheese - that kind of thing. I can usually choke it down okay with a lot of spices or mixed into a shake, but then the gut rolling starts. I expel EVERYTHING in my body. The first time I did this I poo poo out a quarter I swallowed as a kid.

I usually lose between 7-10 lbs during the cleanse. More in the next few days since my body rejects more food being eaten and I just basically lay in bed and sweat.

By the end of the week I feel lighter, emptied out, and ready to start life anew. It's not for everybody but I like it.

The "rotten/rancid food cleanse" craze is currently rolling through Brooklyn in an extremely unpleasant wave

quote:

I had a weird thing happen to me. First things first. I'm a loser goon in his early 30s, like apparently in many of the anonymous confessions. Always the smart kid at school, always told that he'll amount to something one day but a chronic underachiever who ended up doing nothing with his life. I regret this every day now. I even still live with my parents. The whole nine yards. I'm not fat or goony-looking though, if you saw me on the street without knowing me you wouldn't think I'm the massive loser I am. Until a few days ago, the only contact I ever had with a woman was holding her hands for a few seconds.

My Birthday in September last year send me down a depressive spiral because I had the feeling my life will never change. Honestly, I was an inch away from killing myself. I then had a heartfelt talk with my only friend of ten years and came to the conclusion that I have been sabotaging myself my entire life. Many opportunities - career-wise or with women - just wasted because of my self-destructive tendencies and my self-loathing and fear of change. With age the chances became fewer and farther in between. Now I was here. 33, recently jobless and a kissless virgin. Often too anxious to even go outside the house. Wasting my life away with video games and lying to myself. What kind of life is this?

Instead of killing myself, I decided to give therapy a try at least. I live in a country where healthcare is provided to everyone so me being poor was not a problem. The therapists that are covered by my health insurance have to go to through quite a few hoops to get certified to get at that sweet, sweet insurance money so they're all psychologists with diploma, no energy-realigining or other new age nonsense if you don't pay out of your own pocket for it. I went shopping for therapists for cognitive behavioural therapy in my area, some didn't really seem to be a good fit, some others had waiting lists as long as my arm, but there was one I found who even had her practice nearby. She wasn't my first choice because I felt a female therapist would make me too shy to be really open about everything (especially my problems with women) and she is also very young, about my age (maybe a little bit older, maybe a little bit younger, I don't know) a blonde woman, quite cute. I ran out of options and didn't really feel like waiting 6-8 months to start with therapy because I know I'd just give up on it. She could offer the first few contact sessions immediately so I gave it a shot.

So the first few sessions came and went and it all felt kinda difficult and unpleasant but she came across as quite sharp and professional but still very friendly and I decided to go with her. We made quite a bit of progress in relatively short time and I was looking forward to my sessions because I started to get a different perspective on life, a life which I have apparently given up a long time ago. Honestly I didn't even know half of how needlessly difficult my life really was and how I was my own biggest enemy. We started not only talking about my problems but also about world and local events here and there for a few minutes. One time she stayed with me in her practice after she normally closes, and we chatted for a bit until the sun started setting. I found out that she studied in another state, wasn't in my city or doing this for long and didn't feel quite at home yet. She also told me about her two cats. (I have a cat myself) The tone was so different from how she uses to be, friendly but distanced. She seemed a lot more warm. Apparently her parents are wealthy and in the field too. I went home with a very nice and warm feeling that day for having a nice conversation with someone (very rare for me) but also somehow felt this was a little inappropriate maybe. I discarded the thought because no harm done, right? Who doesn't like to chat? For weeks afterwards our therapy sessions then had their normal 50 minutes again and we didn't chat much besides that any more, which kind of was a hint that this indeed was inappropriate.

I still always avoided the topic with women somewhat because it's an emotional minefield for me. Contrary to other goon confessions it's not really like I have zero experience with women, but more that they mostly were internet based (with only a few real meetings) and all overtly complicated and catastrophic. One time I even got scammed. I don't really like talking about it, let's just say I wasted a lot of time on people just not worth it. I again met a woman on the internet in the last months and this time the contact fell apart in the record time of only three weeks. I was crushed even though it was stupid to get my hopes up like that in such a short time, so I bought this up in therapy. I ended up getting very emotional (that's very rare for me, I got kinda cold and cynic with the years) pouring my heart out, about how often I got hurt in sometimes very brutal ways. How I am afraid that I will never know what a kiss feels like. I then told her how once a woman from another country came visit me and how this was the best week of my life, even though she rejected me romantically. I didn't really notice it then but when I described how I held hands with her I held my own hands and looked downwards at them. I was choking back tears because I loved that woman a lot and she just abandoned me like many other people in my life.

Suddenly my therapist was standing in front of me. She put her hands onto mine, pulled them apart and then put them into hers. I noticed how one of her thumbs was stroking gently over the back of one of my hands. Her hands were a bit colder than mine but this was still very nice. I looked up, my heart was racing so hard, I could hear it pumping in my ears. I was afraid I'll pass out any moment. She looked into my eyes with such warmth, then leaned down to me, closed her eyes and kissed me. On my mouth. All the impressions, the smell of her, her hair, her warmth, how her lips trembled a little bit before kissing me. It felt like an eternity, I froze. It was overwhelming. I am even shivering when I think about it now. After what felt like hours she then let go of my hands, stood up, visibly shaken and choking back tears herself and asked me to "please leave now" in that same non-professional tone of weeks before. I did without saying a word, stumbled out of her door, barely being able to put my jacket on. I'm not even sure how I got home, I was so out of it. I felt amazing, even though besides finding her generally attractive I honestly never did see her that way.

So this was last Wednesday. Our session is always on Wednesday. I am mortified of what will be next week. I expect a text or a call from her saying that we can't have the sessions anymore, which frankly would be hard for me. I have no idea what to expect and I am a bit horrified. Not saying this was a bad experience -it was amazing- But yeah. I have no idea how to handle this, or what to say. Or to say anything.

yeah uh buddy I think I can understand this but really, if she doesn't call off the session, you probably should

This kind of thing is unprofessional for a reason -- it's actually really bad for your mental-health process for romantic feelings to get tied up with your therapy. She needs to be a neutral observer on your personal life, not an active part of it. I know finding a therapist is tough, but something like this means you really need to get looking for a new one.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Getting kissed is a better therapy than actual therapy. Stay close to people who want to kiss you.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
What a roller-coaster of emotions. Yeah, this is inappropriate. It's not "professor has an affair with one of his students"-level inappropriate, but it is inappropriate. I'm not sure what the professional implications for the woman are but I could imagine it could have repercussions for her if this ever was to come out. She seemed at least aware that she overstepped a line she should not have, maybe shocked at her own behavior? What an utterly bizarre setting for your first kiss, fellow goon.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

lmao yeah the loser goon in his imd 30s should totally cancel on the hot therapist lady who wants to bang him because "its unprofessional"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tolkien minority posted:

lmao yeah the loser goon in his imd 30s should totally cancel on the hot therapist lady who wants to bang him because "its unprofessional"

no he should do it because he wants to not be a sadbrains anymore and this will seriously gently caress with that

Like, I said this before, this isn't just a rule because propriety and victorian social mores etc etc etc, it's a rule because it fucks everything up.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If it continues, or is discovered she'll be fired and can't ever work in the field again. If the confessor is not a garbage person he should end the relationship first.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Or the confessor should ask for a reference to another therapist and ask her out.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Get a new therapist, but keep the old therapist's number.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

So I'm a thirty something male who lives alone, works an OK job (about 55k a year), and doesn't want to take time out of video games to date or put up with some female's bullshit. My secret to getting laid is going on all these personals sites like Craigslist or Ashley Madison or what have you and pretend I'm a married guy looking for an affair.

I've written an extensive backstory about how long I've been "married", what my "wife" is like, what out marriage is like, etc. that I refer to to keep my story straight. Most of this is inspired by how my coworkers complain about their marriages. It was a slow process to start but I've been doing this for about 2 years now and I've got 5 women that I see on a semi-regular basis, and I gently caress a new one every month or so. I don't have to spend much money on dates and none of them want to move in with me for obvious reasons. It's better than the Tinder expectation of chat> coffee date> dinner date > maybe sex because I've found that most women are terrible in person and I'd rather not buy her a $10 latte and a $50 entree to have her not gently caress me. These women are so pent up that all we have to do is email or text for a couple of weeks and as soon as I can get them alone the pants come off. I keep my place pretty clean so when I get a women over I tell her I'm house sitting for a friend that works out of town a lot. I'm also self-employed so I can bang them during the day when their husbands are at work.

Anyway, I obviously can't tell to many people about this so it was nice to type everything out and get it off my chest.

The "female" thing was a little on-the-nose but what I'm most skeptical about is the idea that people regularly had successful affairs using Ashley Madison

quote:

Hi yeah I'm the former incel/Nice Guy that just got posted. I don't remember what I put in the subject line so if you don't believe it's me then whatever. That story is 100% true (ok my dick is like 6.5" but who gives a gently caress), I really just wrote it for cathartic release, since I don't talk about that time in my life. It's something my girlfriend doesn't know about me and I'll most likely take it to the grave because I'm so embarrassed by it. My friends (the two girls that I owe my life to) know I was pretty hosed up and depressed then but they don't know the extent of how deeply I resented men who were good with women, and women in general. It also scares the poo poo out of me a little because if the whole incel/MRA online community had come around sooner, then I could very well possibly be one of those morons. I feel bad for them in a strange sort of way - it's such a toxic echo chamber and these people just want to belong to some community. I had the same feeling, I just wanted to belong somewhere, until I had that moment of clarity that, holy poo poo, it wasn't everyone else that was the problem, it was me. And I fixed it.

Sorry not sorry to anyone who doesn't want to see the incel talk anymore. I just wanted to get it out. Thanks loquacius for giving a former idiot incel like myself a place to vent about it.

Everybody who didn't get any action in high school had some resentful thoughts from time to time. Myself, I was lucky enough to think of it as a problem I had rather than a problem everyone else was forcing on me, which allowed me to (eventually) grow out of it.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Agreed, just go on Wednesday and say that you don't think your professional relationship should continue, ask for a recommendation for a (male) therapist outside of her practice, and ask if you could continue having a personal relationship now that she's not your therapist anymore.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Agreed, just go on Wednesday and say that you don't think your professional relationship should continue, ask for a recommendation for a (male) therapist outside of her practice, and ask if you could continue having a personal relationship now that she's not your therapist anymore.

I like this

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
I would still be very cautious about a relationship with her. She no doubt feels sorry for anon. after hearing about all his troubles and getting to know him as a person and probably feels like he deserves her/someone like her. But that doesn't necessarily translate into her actually being into you. Take it from someone who had a lovely short lived relationship with someone (who wasn't my therapist) who went out with me because she liked me as a person and thought I deserved someone like her, but wasn't really all that into me.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
No matter what he does he's going to regret it. Either he walks away and always wonders about it or he gets involved and eventually crushed when it collapses. On the one hand the first choice is far less traumatic. On the other the sex might be amazing.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
All relationships collapse (except for the last one when they live happily ever after, and that doesn't happen much) so that's not a reason not to enter one.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
It also might have been a heat of the moment thing and she might end up backpedaling hard. When that whole thing happened she apparently wasn't too happy it happened after it ended, looking at that how abruptly she ended the contact that day. I agree that therapists need to have neutrality and an observing position regarding their patients life. As the mental healthcare professional she is (diploma and everything, confessor said himself) she should know a lot better than that, and depending of what mental state the confessor is in, this might have even been quite unethical. Even if he switches therapists this might impede his progress in a serious manner. Then again, therapists are people too and I'm sure even as a therapist, you like some patients more than others and if you spent many months working with some, you can end up liking them a lot. I guess the day where chatting for a while was already a day where the attraction was stronger than the professionalism and she didn't act as a neutral therapist and her cutting this out means she was aware it wasn't right. I guess last Wednesday whatever professionalism she had went out of the window in favor of her emotions at that moment. I am pretty sure she is conflicted about this at the very least, as she should be.

All in all, this confession is well written, it has romance, drama and a main character the average goon can identify with. A solid 4 stars. Please don't use Benedict Cumberbatch as the role of the goon, he's in too much stuff already and this is not his range.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have one solution for both the guy with no taste in film and the dude thinking about getting romantically involved with his therapist:

Go watch "Antichrist" by Lars von Trier. Please report back.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

About all the advice so far for kissy therapist goon assumes that she want a relationship with him. She stayed a bit after one session to chat with him, and after a session where he was sobbing uncontrollably about his tragic history with women, was driven to briefly hold his hands and kiss him, possibly very briefly, and probably out of pity. This doesn't necessarily mean she would want to date him.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

BigBadSteve posted:

About all the advice so far for kissy therapist goon assumes that she want a relationship with him.

My advice was to watch a film where a therapist ejaculates blood after having his genitals mutilated by the patient he is romantically involved with, after which a fox tells him that Chaos Reigns.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
get her to peg you

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Honestly to me it sounded more like a guy fantasizing about his therapist typing it with one hand than a story that actually happened.

If it is real I'm sure it was down out of pity more than anything and if you try and pursue it you'll likely end up destroying both your personal and professional relationship with her, leading you to whine that once again all the women you like abandon you when it was you who sabotaged it. If she pursues it then fine, but don't date her or anything while you are her patient, even if she is willing to risk her job doing it.

And no offense, but you have to consider how healthy the relationship would be considering your self-professed issues. Relationships where one partner tries to fix the other rarely have a happy ending.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
if it's true, pretty sure she destroyed the professional relationship first by kissing her patient. I have the feeling if the genders would be swapped the reaction itt would be very different

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have one solution for both the guy with no taste in film and the dude thinking about getting romantically involved with his therapist:

Go watch "Antichrist" by Lars von Trier. Please report back.

Cruel

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Police Automaton posted:

if it's true, pretty sure she destroyed the professional relationship first by kissing her patient. I have the feeling if the genders would be swapped the reaction itt would be very different

I dunno if a girl talked to a hot guy therapist about how she had never been kissed and how sad it made her I feel like it would be a pretty similar situation, which is to say both are kind of weird.

Therapy guy, whether or not the appointment happens tomorrow, try to have an honest conversation with your therapist about what happened and why. You're pretty definitely gonna need to start looking for a new therapist, but you should at least find out if your current one is actually into you or not. If she isn't into you then that is REALLY weird behavior.