Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
But how will we know the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is there an update on Sean Rodriguez's family? Will his wife and kids make a full recovery?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
While I agree he didn't really "hack" into much, it's still stealing information in a multi billion dollar business and that is super illegal and should be punished heavily with prison time. When he got through to login he should have said to himself, "holy poo poo these guys are dumb as hell," and then logged straight out. Not continue to rummage around to see what was still the same and what was different.

Cardinals got off light. Should have signed more QO's.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Your Taint posted:

Is there an update on Sean Rodriguez's family? Will his wife and kids make a full recovery?

https://twitter.com/GiselleCRod/status/826205979356323840

https://twitter.com/GiselleCRod/status/826207013998825477

Sounds like good news. :unsmith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Thom P. Tiers posted:

While I agree he didn't really "hack" into much, it's still stealing information in a multi billion dollar business and that is super illegal and should be punished heavily with prison time. When he got through to login he should have said to himself, "holy poo poo these guys are dumb as hell," and then logged straight out. Not continue to rummage around to see what was still the same and what was different.

Cardinals got off light. Should have signed more QO's.

He's not too bright himself given the circumstances of his getting caught

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Oh hey, something wasn't nearly as horrible as it could have been, that's nice.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh hey, something wasn't nearly as horrible as it could have been, that's nice.

I dunno, the kid is named Gogo.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

I dunno, the kid is named Gogo.

I'm holding out hope that it's a goofy nickname, but all bets are off when it comes to celebrity kid names unfortunately.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm holding out hope that it's a goofy nickname, but all bets are off when it comes to celebrity kid names unfortunately.

Apparently GoGo is Sean Jr., so we seem safe on that front.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Is there a list of compiled free agents still available right now? I'm sure there is but I am lazy as hell, someone link me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Explosionface posted:

Thank goodness.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Is there a list of compiled free agents still available right now? I'm sure there is but I am lazy as hell, someone link me.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017-mlb-free-agent-tracker/status-0

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tell me about Carlos Frias, Dodger fans. Trade seems low risk for the Tribe.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I don't know if anyone posted it but the Royals signed Brandon Moss. Goodbye, dinger machine

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Explosionface posted:

I'm hoping his nickname is a Final Fantasy VI reference, since he just copied his dad's name.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
I really don't understand international signings.

The Dbacks are finally free from whatever penalty was associated with the Yoan Lopez signing (assume cap on intl spending).

So, are there international signings to be had? I know there is some sort of bidding system with like a 60M max?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hot Take Alert

Chris Correa getting 4 years is kinda harsh imo. Its not like he sent the Astros a trojan or brute forced their system. He correctly deduced Jeff Luhnow is kinda dumb and that Eckstein123 is a poo poo password. While probably a crime, its not "hacking" imo and Correa did the world a favor in reminding people in how to not pick passwords. Cards getting punished is still good because it is cheating and Cardinals.

Since it wasn't a violent crime, he'll probably be spending it in a minimum security prison which means he'll have a lot more freedoms than the average prisoner. It's still no walk in the park, though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tell me about Carlos Frias, Dodger fans. Trade seems low risk for the Tribe.
He's fairly unremarkable. Got used as an emergency starter in 2015 for awhile and was I guess serviceable in that role. It should be telling that last year when the Dodgers pitching depth was again heavily tested, he did not get a start and appeared in only one game (the last 4 innings of long relief in a 6-0 loss).

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm hoping his nickname is a Final Fantasy VI reference, since he just copied his dad's name.

It's actually a Kill Bill reference.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
So now that it appears Sean Rodriguez's family is going to be fine (I wish them a speedy and 100% recovery!) I don't have to feel bad saying this:

Stealing a cop car and ramming it into something so it catches on fire and you die is metal as gently caress.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
It's actually short for GoGurt.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Gogo is also Carlos Gomez's nickname so gently caress all Gogos

(I'm glad he's ok)

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Capt. Sticl posted:

I really don't understand international signings.

The Dbacks are finally free from whatever penalty was associated with the Yoan Lopez signing (assume cap on intl spending).

So, are there international signings to be had? I know there is some sort of bidding system with like a 60M max?

I think most of the high profile teenagers signed in July (the international signing period starts in early July every year). I dunno if Arizona signed any.

The big news though is the new CBA. It drastically limits how much teams can spend on foreign players. Previously there was a soft cap, so Boston could drop $30M on Moncada by paying the same amount in penalties. But starting in July, teams can't spend more than around $5 million per year. Older players in pro leagues (Cuba, Japan, Korea) are exempt from the cap, but only if they're 25 or older (was 23 in the previous CBA). Players in the NPB and KBO belong to their team for like 10 years, so they can't come over at all unless they are posted (or released). There's a bidding process for posted players, but the max posting fee is $20 million.

Lots of fallout from this. Rich teams can't spend tons on a player like Moncada anymore, so everyone's on a level playing field. Latin American prospects get the shaft, as they stand to make a lot less in bonuses. And young Japanese stars like Otani are less likely to be posted, since they can't get paid big bucks until they turn 25.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

And young Japanese stars like Otani are less likely to be posted, since they can't get paid big bucks until they turn 25.

They're less likely to request to be posted. The NPB team doesn't give a poo poo how much they sign for, they get the posting fee no matter what.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

I think most of the high profile teenagers signed in July (the international signing period starts in early July every year). I dunno if Arizona signed any.

The big news though is the new CBA. It drastically limits how much teams can spend on foreign players. Previously there was a soft cap, so Boston could drop $30M on Moncada by paying the same amount in penalties. But starting in July, teams can't spend more than around $5 million per year. Older players in pro leagues (Cuba, Japan, Korea) are exempt from the cap, but only if they're 25 or older (was 23 in the previous CBA). Players in the NPB and KBO belong to their team for like 10 years, so they can't come over at all unless they are posted (or released). There's a bidding process for posted players, but the max posting fee is $20 million.

Lots of fallout from this. Rich teams can't spend tons on a player like Moncada anymore, so everyone's on a level playing field. Latin American prospects get the shaft, as they stand to make a lot less in bonuses. And young Japanese stars like Otani are less likely to be posted, since they can't get paid big bucks until they turn 25.

I still can't believe the player's union agreed to such a ridiculously low IA cap, particularly after they reportedly resisted multiple attempts to introduce an international draft, including turning down the complete elimination of the QO as compensation. But then they agree to a spending cap that arguably means Latin players are even more shafted than they would have been under a draft, for only a slight weakening of the QO. :psyduck:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

They're less likely to request to be posted. The NPB team doesn't give a poo poo how much they sign for, they get the posting fee no matter what.

Couldn't Otani just refuse to sign with an MLB team though? Why sign for $5 million now when he could wait a couple years and get a contract like the Yankees gave Tanaka?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

I still can't believe the player's union agreed to such a ridiculously low IA cap, particularly after they reportedly resisted multiple attempts to introduce an international draft, including turning down the complete elimination of the QO as compensation. But then they agree to a spending cap that arguably means Latin players are even more shafted than they would have been under a draft, for only a slight weakening of the QO. :psyduck:

In practice this means more money available for extensions for veteran players who by remarkable coincidence are the ones who comprise the union.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bewbies posted:

In practice this means more money available for extensions for veteran players who by remarkable coincidence are the ones who comprise the union.
except that the luxury tax is now much stronger so spending on ML players is also more limited than ever

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

In practice this means more money available for extensions for veteran players who by remarkable coincidence are the ones who comprise the union. yachts and vacation houses for ownership.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

The Pussy Boss posted:

Couldn't Otani just refuse to sign with an MLB team though? Why sign for $5 million now when he could wait a couple years and get a contract like the Yankees gave Tanaka?

He can. The rumor, however is that he wants to play in the Majors enough that he's coming over next season, exception or no exception

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I know neither the owners nor the union have the best interest of foreign players at heart, but it's pretty dumb that both sides agreed to deal that discourages the best players abroad from playing in MLB.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

He can. The rumor, however is that he wants to play in the Majors enough that he's coming over next season, exception or no exception

So let me get this straight.

This guy profiles as a potential ace. The next Darvish or Tanaka. And he hits enough to play OF or DH on off days.

And the most anyone can offer him is a $5 million bonus. And then they get 6 years of cheap control just like any other prospect.

All I have to say is, San Francisco is lovely in the Fall, Shohei :)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Jays signed JP Howell. This counts as news, at the end of January.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Any MLB news is a welcome respite right now.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/KenDavidoff/status/826571868945653760?s=09

V: It would be really nice if the Mets would just cut the bullshit and sign Jerry Blevins already.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

The Pussy Boss posted:

He could. But His life long dream is to play in the MLB. The only reason He didn't come in his teens is the Nippon Ham Fighters convinced him that the MLB minors sucks. And Play Pro level ball in Japan is in your early 20s is better. He really wants to be in the MLB and is ready now so he is coming.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/826609141649174528

minor league deal for Wily Mo Pena :aaaaa:

also the Rockies signed Dominic Brown to a minor league deal.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 1, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I hope someone's got a map of Monaco ready and waiting.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Atlanta has Kris Medlen back on a minor league deal.

For that brief moment in time, he was really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

will_colorado posted:

also the Rockies signed Dominic Brown to a minor league deal.

Is there even a spot for him? They have a glut of OF and a converted OF/SS to play 1B.

• Locked thread