Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grandmother of Five posted:

Is there something like an Ask/Tell thread for requests on Ask/Tell topics buried somewhere? Every so often, I'll read a post from someone who imo has an interesting sounding job, or lives somewhere or believes or does something that it'd just be neat to learn more about & I sometimes encourage people to make an Ask/Tell thread, but a general request thread where people bring up topics they'd like to read about might be neat.

As an example, I'm a non-US goon, so an Ask/Tell thread about living in the US, with reps from different states would be pretty cool imo & I'm sort of thinking the reason it isn't done is mostly because the forums are US-centric and only "foreign" countries are thought of as potentially interesting topics for Ask/Tell threads.

At least for the latter one, you might get decent results from asking in the LAN threads, which are for various local areas to chat: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=241

They get people asking around about various things when they're planning to visit or maybe move fairly often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

fishmech posted:

At least for the latter one, you might get decent results from asking in the LAN threads, which are for various local areas to chat: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=241

They get people asking around about various things when they're planning to visit or maybe move fairly often.

Thanks. I didn't know that sub. Posting in the Scandinavian thread in Science, Academics and Languages, I just sort of figured that regional threads outside of Ask/Tell were largely chat threads, too. I mean, people are welcome to ask questions in the Scandinavian thread, and some do, but as a chat thread, it is hard to follow and really low in content for anyone other than thread regulars, I think. Not least because everyone defaults to talking on their own moon languages.

Anyway, thanks. I'll check it out! The Ask/Tell me about Country threads that were common in Ask/Tell used to be some of my favourites.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Am I wrong to think this poo poo is completely retarded? https://www.amazon.com/ZenFresh-Hig...AM831NTTWSP8TBP

Any health risks associated with it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Something smells fishy to you about bioactive stones in your shower head improving the balance of your oil glands? I dunno, seems sound to me.
I don't really see how it could be harmful. Maybe if they made them too balanced...

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tea_consumption_per_capita

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mr. Squishy posted:

Something smells fishy to you about bioactive stones in your shower head improving the balance of your oil glands? I dunno, seems sound to me.
I don't really see how it could be harmful. Maybe if they made them too balanced...

I can't tell if it's sarcasm. bioactive stones sound pretty loving fishy to me, as a concept

why do people buy this crap aaaaaah

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kurtofan posted:

I can't tell if it's sarcasm. bioactive stones sound pretty loving fishy to me, as a concept

why do people buy this crap aaaaaah

And then there's the "laser perforated technology."

Or holes.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've got a lot of experience with bioactive stones maaaan *hits joint*

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Earwicker posted:

Very few. This is more like how most Americans drink coffee. In my experience hot tea is generally more reserved for a relaxing time at home reading a book or something, or for one or two cups in the morning. we don't have "tea breaks" at work but we do have "coffee breaks".

(iced tea is a different story and consumed more frequently, especially if we are talking about the packaged variety)

This is exactly right, and I feel like it's worth mentioning that among many people (insecure male baby boomers) tea is seen as a sissy or nerdy drink. In pop culture you might have a college professor or police detective drink hot tea to show that they're an intellectual or think outside the box.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Human Tornada posted:

This is exactly right, and I feel like it's worth mentioning that among many people (insecure male baby boomers) tea is seen as a sissy or nerdy drink. In pop culture you might have a college professor or police detective drink hot tea to show that they're an intellectual or think outside the box.

I sometimes wonder if there was a massive surge in the popularity of Earl Grey tea when it became the signature drink of a certain starship captain.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powered Descent posted:

I sometimes wonder if there was a massive surge in the popularity of Earl Grey tea when it became the signature drink of a certain starship captain.

I can't find any easy data on it but it makes sense; sales of merlot decreased and pinot noir increased after the movie Sideways came out so it's definitely a thing that happens.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I switched to mostly tea from coffee after a co-worker from the UK introduced me to "builders tea". It's like coffee that doesn't rot my stomach after 4-5 cups and if you cut the sugar by 3/4, it is really tasty too.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Bioactive just means there's bacteria in it. The same way a shallow layer of gravel on the bottom of a fish tank can provide biological filtration, except tap water shouldn't have much for bacteria and the rocks aren't going to do Jack poo poo in the time the water passes through them.

I don't get the product or even what it claims to be protecting you from - there was some mumbo-jumbo about negative ions for some reason? If your tap water isn't safe to shower under, you need a hell of a lot more than that to fix it. New age bullshit scams!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

You need to get rid of all those negative ions, man. Only positive ions.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

You need to get rid of all those negative ions, man. Only positive ions.

Violate the law of global electroneitrality, for your health

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

alnilam posted:

I've got a lot of experience with bioactive stones maaaan *hits joint*

I've got your bioactive stones for you, right here! (my testicles)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Ras Het posted:

British people drink lovely gross tea and they shouldnt be smug about it

Steady on now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
If you had a Netflix account where you got discs only and all the choices in your queue are in a "very long wait" status, would they still charge you a monthly fee?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you had a Netflix account where you got discs only and all the choices in your queue are in a "very long wait" status, would they still charge you a monthly fee?

If they didn't ship you movies or you had an empty queue or something, I can't imagine they wouldn't still charge you. All sorts of monthly services charge you even if you don't use their services.

That could still be a good way to get those movies sent to you, though. A while back I removed everything that wasn't Very Long Wait and they started sending them to me from shipping centers in other parts of the country.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
RDlkfdf=gh=hiwr tv clyor

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

in_cahoots posted:

RDlkfdf=gh=hiwr tv clyor

Preach on, brother.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I know these two things:
  • "Federalism" generically refers to a system where there's a central government and there are also state/regional/provincial governments with non-negligible power
  • The Federalist Papers and Federalist Party in the late 18th century US were generally in favor of a stronger central government and weaker state governments, but still supported federalism as defined above

But in modern times I sometimes hear the adjective "federalist" thrown around as if it refers to either one side or the other in the debate of "states rights" vs stronger central government. Thing is, I haven't heard it quite enough to figure out which side it refers to.

So in modern usage, if someone says "Bob has strongly federalist sentiments," does he/she mean that Bob is in favor of a strong central government (which would be consistent with the late 18th century party name I think)? Or do they mean that Bob favors a weaker central government and more things being delegated to state/regional/provincial governments?

:siren: please do not turn this into a political debate:siren: my question is solely about what most people mean when they use this word in this way.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

alnilam posted:

I know these two things:
  • "Federalism" generically refers to a system where there's a central government and there are also state/regional/provincial governments with non-negligible power
  • The Federalist Papers and Federalist Party in the late 18th century US were generally in favor of a stronger central government and weaker state governments, but still supported federalism as defined above

But in modern times I sometimes hear the adjective "federalist" thrown around as if it refers to either one side or the other in the debate of "states rights" vs stronger central government. Thing is, I haven't heard it quite enough to figure out which side it refers to.

So in modern usage, if someone says "Bob has strongly federalist sentiments," does he/she mean that Bob is in favor of a strong central government (which would be consistent with the late 18th century party name I think)? Or do they mean that Bob favors a weaker central government and more things being delegated to state/regional/provincial governments?

:siren: please do not turn this into a political debate:siren: my question is solely about what most people mean when they use this word in this way.

I can't speak to how it's really used these days, but one complicating factor is that there's a fairly popular conservative/libertarian web site called The Federalist (which makes you wonder why they named their site after a party supporting a strong central government)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

alnilam posted:

It means both, and you basically need to also see what the same person is calling the opponent. E.g. If Alice calls Bob a federalist and she calls Cindy a centralist, she is using federalism to mean decentralization.

It's usually clearer when it's being used about people in countries that are not currently of a federal structure, so if you're talking about someone who is a federalist on the topic of France, they want France to become federal and definitely do not want stronger central government. And a federalist in the UK would be someone who wants to diminish London's power.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Is there any actual difference in meaning between the words disk and disc? Or is it just convention as to which one is used for what?

Floppy disk vs. compact disc is an obvious one, but the convention (if that's all it is) seems pretty set even for things you don't say very often. I might describe a coin as a small metal disc, and a frisbee as a flying disk, and it wouldn't really occur to me to wonder which spelling to use for which as I did so. It somehow seems obvious, but I'm not sure why.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Is there any actual difference in meaning between the words disk and disc? Or is it just convention as to which one is used for what?

Floppy disk vs. compact disc is an obvious one, but the convention (if that's all it is) seems pretty set even for things you don't say very often. I might describe a coin as a small metal disc, and a frisbee as a flying disk, and it wouldn't really occur to me to wonder which spelling to use for which as I did so. It somehow seems obvious, but I'm not sure why.

Disk is short for diskette, disc describes circular things.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Powered Descent posted:

Roughly, it's because disk was a more commonly used spelling for disc in American English for a long time, and since a lot of computing storage stuff was invented in America it used American spelling for the usually round objects. This solidified into most storage related terms using "disk" even after they stopped being disc-shaped.

Ultimately the two spellings are interchangeable for most things, and you'll see both used a lot in other areas. But in things like Compact Disc, the c spelling is the official name.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Can anyone identify this thing in The Big Bang Theory? It looks like some kind of radio, maybe.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

"Spirit of St Louis" inspired am/fm radio/cassette player.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Flipperwaldt posted:

Cool, thanks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Powered Descent posted:

It's always been my understanding that in America only CDs are spelled with a C, and everywhere else only computer disks (excluding CDs) are spelled with a K.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
WaitWaitWait, you're saying that Compact Disc(tm) is only an American thing, and they say Compact Disk in non-America?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Which has mildly annoyed me as why would these geeks want a Sharper Image FM/cassette player?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

photomikey posted:

WaitWaitWait, you're saying that Compact Disc(tm) is only an American thing, and they say Compact Disk in non-America?

No, what I was trying to say was that I thought Americans spelled it "disk" in every case other than CDs, whereas the rest of the world spells it "disc" in every case except computer disks. That is, "compact disc" and "floppy/hard disk" are the same in every English-speaking country, but every other sort of disc is spelled "disk" in America and "disc" everywhere else.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
What happened to Shine of YLLS?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never been to a funeral before. What's a good etiquette article I can read so I don't make an rear end of myself?

Also, is a blue shirt acceptable to wear with a suit? I own one dress shirt, and it's light blue. Pretty much every article I've read mentions a white or black dress shirt though.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Chuu posted:

Also, is a blue shirt acceptable to wear with a suit? I own one dress shirt, and it's light blue. Pretty much every article I've read mentions a white or black dress shirt though.

Black suit with black tie and white shirt is standard. Everything that deviates from that begins to deviate from the most proper etiquette and has to be judged on a case by case basis. If you are going to the funeral of the Duke of Boston I would not deviate from this. If it is for a friend of a friend a blue shirt is fine.

Be quiet, polite, don't look bored when the grief are rambling and be brief and don't linger too long. The road up to and including a funeral is not fun, and showing up shows more support than awkwardly staying for an hour afterwards because you feel you have to.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Chuu posted:

I've never been to a funeral before. What's a good etiquette article I can read so I don't make an rear end of myself?

Also I'll add to Namarrgon's comments. If it was a really sad death (i.e. tragic cirumstances, young person) then you should gauge based on the family and likely go for more conservative. The closer you were to the person (e.g. best friend, immediate family) I feel you can definitely get away with wearing different things. For context I wore pretty bright colours to my grandpa's funeral. He had a good life and so it was more what he liked.

You should be fine with a black suit with black tie and a light blue shirt. Showing up and being respectful means a lot more than what you wear. Don't be late, don't be distracted, pay your respects and leave. You don't always have to attend the wake.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chuu posted:

I would say that it depends on what you mean by light blue. A pastel blue should work without issue. The more vibrancy the color has, the worse it typically is at a funeral, so a neon or aquamarine blue would be bad. The more muted and dull, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Funny enough, I just had someone ask me the funeral apparel question in person yesterday. Wear whatever you have that's black, more formal is better than less. Yesterday's funeral had 100 people at it, a close friend of mine wore black jeans and a black polo shirt, I didn't think he looked any worse or stood out anymore than the guy wearing a black suit with a black shirt. I happen to think at funerals, effort counts, and there's less judging than at weddings or other formal affairs. If the best you can do with what you have on hand is dark blue, you'll be fine.

Bonus story: Some years ago I attended a funeral in rural New Mexico as a news reporter. I wore a black suit, as is traditional. First guy to arrive to the funeral was wearing creased Wranglers, a western-style shirt, and a cowboy hat. "Boy, that guy's going to stick out like a sore thumb. What an idiot." Fast forward 30 minutes to a hall filled with 100 people in creased Wranglers and cowboy hats and one city slicker in a suit.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 1, 2017