Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
"You were in gravest peril while you wore the Ring, for then you were half in the wraith-world yourself, and they might have seized you. You could see them, and they could see you." -Gandalf, Many Meetings

The mere presence of the One Ring extended Bilbo's life, making him feel stretched. The Ringwraiths had worn their rings so long that they had completely faded into the wraith-world, being invisible in the real world without guises provided by Sauron. Hobbits and Men (and Dwarves in their own way) were creatures more purely of the physical world with a different spirit (and ultimate doom) than Elves and Maia which is likely why they responded to the ring by becoming invisible; temporarily being drawn into this other-world.

"And here in Rivendell there live still some of his chief foes: the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power." -Gandalf, Many Meetings

This is why Bilbo sees Glorfindal (Arwen in the movie) as a radiant spirit while wearing the Ring. The elves had their ultimate origins in fairy stories where the idea of a physical world and an other-world is common (the Seen and Unseen of the above quote). In some of his later writing Tolkien mentions that any elves who remained in the world long after the third age would eventually fade completely from the sight of mortals. While Tolkien striped away most of the traditional fairy elements for his Elves it's entirely possible he simply couldn't edit The Hobbit enough to remove invisibility as a property of the One Ring and came up with a story (based on his own influences) that fit the case and which works internally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right it was just a magic ring in the hobbit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The discrepancies like that must have driven him crazy. But there's only so much you can do to retcon things into line.

I read the partially completed 1960 rewrite of The Hobbit (which is much more gritty and realistic and LotR-like and gets as far as Rivendell) and have to agree wholly with the lady he showed it to who said "It's wonderful, but it's not The Hobbit."

Between his decision to give that project up and his abortive Return of the Shadow which his heart also wasn't in, he must have felt like a failure even after a whole lifetime of what every critic would call immortal success.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

I read the partially completed 1960 rewrite of The Hobbit

where? i wasn't aware it'd been published

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

chernobyl kinsman posted:

where? i wasn't aware it'd been published
John Rateliff, The History of The Hobbit. It's included in book 2, Return to Bag-End.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
wonderful, thanks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's over 150$

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

It's over 150$

not in this edition, which seems to be both volumes combined

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh nice

I don't know what I was looking at

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The idea that the Prancing Pony is a gay bar is well-tread by this point. Even excluding the film (which makes this child's play), I'd like to go one step further.

Gandalf, mighty wizard that he is, is also an old man who lead an all-men cross-country hike, yet shows no interest in any of them in particular. Bilbo and Gandalf have a friendship that strongly resembles a relationship that ended on amicable terms, yes, but the real truth is clear: When Saruman offered Gandalf a chance to stay, and join him, it was a chance to stay, and join him, to reignite their old flame that had faded with time. What it means that he declined this in order to watch hobbits hike is left as an exercise to the reader.

Frodo and Sam are hardly worth mentioning, they were almost certainly a couple long before Bilbo's eleventy-first. (What kind of gardener comes by to trim hedges in the middle of the night? There's a much simpler explanation than that.) Though Frodo tries to break up with Samwise for his own protection, Sam refuses. He won't leave him.

Merry and Pippin are just related enough that nobody's sure if it's weird or not.

Aragorn is the token bisexual.

Everyone else sees what's going on between Gimli and Legolas long before they do.

And Boromir?

Straight guy dies first.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 31, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
please stop

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Please don't stop.

:allears:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vavrek posted:

Please don't stop.

:allears:

I'm almost there!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'd rather have the elf-dick lady personally.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Uhhhhmmmm Boromir was clearly gay for Aragorn.

Really though Legolas and Gimli are the gayest loving thing on this whole gay middle-earth and nobody will, in all seriousness, ever convince me otherwise. It's just too loving bad that even though Thranduil gave up his spot on the boat for his kid's boyfriend, Valinor is a place, not a heaven. Legolas ended up living forever over there and Gimli totally died after another couple hundo.

That's my gay LotR fanfiction for ya. Everybody dies and goes to different heavens, the end.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo valinor stopped being a place when the world was bent during the fall of numenor

where the gently caress do hobbits go where they die normally anyway

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hobbits are just short fat Men, so they get the secret afterlife of the Second Children of Iluvatar.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no!!!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tollymain posted:

imo valinor stopped being a place when the world was bent during the fall of numenor

where the gently caress do hobbits go where they die normally anyway

They already live in holes in the ground, might as well just fill in the hole after death and complete the cycle

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

elise the great posted:

Uhhhhmmmm Boromir was clearly gay for Aragorn.

Really though Legolas and Gimli are the gayest loving thing on this whole gay middle-earth and nobody will, in all seriousness, ever convince me otherwise. It's just too loving bad that even though Thranduil gave up his spot on the boat for his kid's boyfriend, Valinor is a place, not a heaven. Legolas ended up living forever over there and Gimli totally died after another couple hundo.

That's my gay LotR fanfiction for ya. Everybody dies and goes to different heavens, the end.
Wow, dickmove, Legolas. Arwen was willing to stay for a loving Man, but he's too good for a Dwarf? Definitely Thranduil's son, alright. What a douche.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Legolas could have stayed in Middle-Earth until Gimli died and then just killed himself to respawn in Valinor and saved everybody some trouble.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I've always felt Hobbits were a result of mass interbreeding of Dwarves and Elves.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Was there any homosexual element to Nordic/Viking societies - aside from homosocial bonding - or was that just a Mediterrenean culture thing?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

elise the great posted:

Really though Legolas and Gimli are the gayest loving thing on this whole gay middle-earth and nobody will, in all seriousness, ever convince me otherwise.

I dunno, Frodo and Sam could give them a run for their money. Although Sam is bisexual.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Was there any homosexual element to Nordic/Viking societies - aside from homosocial bonding - or was that just a Mediterrenean culture thing?

I mean I'm sure Vikings were occasionally gay because literally every culture everywhere has gays in it, it's part of the human condition.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gimili loved forever in valinor and it is heaven as it is the literal abode of the gods.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Frodo and Sam were more of a wierd idealization of British inter class adoration and fidelity that probably never existed and is a reflection of tolkiens life long class guilt . Imho.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

VanSandman posted:

I mean I'm sure Vikings were occasionally gay because literally every culture everywhere has gays in it, it's part of the human condition.

Yes, I'm sure there was gay love/sex, I mean was there any cultural manifestations of that? If you look at Roman/Greek history you can find a lot of literature and art dealing with the subject. I've never seen any northern images/stories similar.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
long story short, yes, queer vikings existed, they were basically the lowest of the low in their culture, if you murdered somebody for calling you gay you would be considered wholly justified

but also you had to be queer to be a magician

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

euphronius posted:

Frodo and Sam were more of a wierd idealization of British inter class adoration and fidelity that probably never existed and is a reflection of tolkiens life long class guilt . Imho.

So Ted and Ralph from the Fast Show then.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Tollymain posted:

Been to Vegas. Checks out.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Yes, I'm sure there was gay love/sex, I mean was there any cultural manifestations of that? If you look at Roman/Greek history you can find a lot of literature and art dealing with the subject. I've never seen any northern images/stories similar.

greek attitudes towards homosexuality were slightly different than those of the norse my dude

Tollymain posted:

long story short, yes, queer vikings existed, they were basically the lowest of the low in their culture, if you murdered somebody for calling you gay you would be considered wholly justified

you did not have to be gay to be a magician, but magic (seithr) was considered inherently effeminate (ergi), so if you were a male sorcerer you were going to get called gay. odin practiced seithr and gets called womanly for it on occasion.

women could practice it just fine, though.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 31, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Calling a man gay in norse society was not cool: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergi

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Calling a man gay in norse society was not cool: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergi

It's "not cool" in most western nations, yet there's plenty of gay people.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
You're just the other side of the lovely, jock, frat bigot coin if you insist that all homosocial bonds must be homosexual.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

TildeATH posted:

You're just the other side of the lovely, jock, frat bigot coin if you insist that all homosocial bonds must be homosexual.

"homosocial bond" sounds like another word for "friend"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SHISHKABOB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI#t=22s

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SHISHKABOB posted:

Kind of red pill to think people of different sexes can't be friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

TildeATH posted:

Kind of red pill to think people of different sexes can't be friends.

The way your avatar and title text are oriented it looks like the person is frustrated that nothings on fire.