Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Just found out that Kotobukiya's frame arms girl is getting the build fighters treatment... so to speak. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIRJ5E09PQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Go die in a fire Kotobukiya...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Just found out that Kotobukiya's frame arms girl is getting the build fighters treatment... so to speak. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIRJ5E09PQ

aaay lmao

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Busou Shink got two anime series, so a F.A.G. anime isn't that surprising.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Busou Shink got two anime series, so a F.A.G. anime isn't that surprising.

That's an unfortunate abbreviation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

That's an unfortunate abbreviation.

Right up there with Full Armor Gundam.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Midjack posted:

Right up there with Full Armor Gundam.

I have an SD set I got at Suncoast where it was called F.A.P. Gundam. Part of me never wants to build it because the name amuses me in a stupid way.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Aoshima M9 Gernsback is back in stock at HLJ, get it while you can: http://hlj.com/product/AOS04400

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

It's Providence time. Can't wait to get started.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Pretty sure that boxart is a modified Dynasty Warriors still.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Just a small 30 minute project; while buying some 2x4's I saw a blackboard spray, so I decided to try making a Chalkgguy:

....In my defense, there weren't any small chalk sticks available. Thats the nice thing though, I can just wipe it off and try again later :v:

E: Chalkbeardguy sans bad test scribbling:

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 31, 2017

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does the red shoulder scopedog use the same greens as a zaku 2?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kingtheninja posted:

Does the red shoulder scopedog use the same greens as a zaku 2?

Going off of pictures, it looks like the Scopedog has a lighter light green and a darker dark green than a Zaku II.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
What is a "modern" VOTOMs kit? Is there a such thing? I like the designs but have on idea if they are up to snuff with recent Bandai gundam kits.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

The MGs are old but still quite good, that said they're more 'old' Bandai with a greater mechanical focus and less on an out of the box build looking amazing. It's basically like a tank kit with limbs, and you'll probably want to treat it like such in terms of detailing and weathering to get the kit to really pop. Dalong has reviews of all(?) of them here: http://dalong.net/review/etc/etc_cata_e.htm#vo

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So I spent a few days on and off before work painting by hand one of the arms of the HG Gold Frame Amatsu as the base gold is horrible and patchy.

First time panel lining and have to clean it up a bit before I final top coat it but the gold looks a ton better than the OOB gold.

poo poo pics but you get the idea. Will finish the rat of the frame sometime.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
http://www.g-system-shop.com/product_info.php?products_id=110 :stare:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, G-System loves their Ex-S. I think their 1.0 1/35 Ex-S is what put them on the map in the first place. It's the source of this classic image, afterall:

That said, I wish they dealt in plastic rather than resin. Because gently caress resin, seriously.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I don't think I could even imagine a world where I could buy a plastic 1/35 Ex-S Gundam. :stare:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't think I could even imagine a world where I could buy a plastic 1/35 Ex-S Gundam. :stare:

Pssst, it's the timeline without Trump. The timeline where Build Fighters are real.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Xy Hapu posted:

The MGs are old but still quite good, that said they're more 'old' Bandai with a greater mechanical focus and less on an out of the box build looking amazing. It's basically like a tank kit with limbs, and you'll probably want to treat it like such in terms of detailing and weathering to get the kit to really pop. Dalong has reviews of all(?) of them here: http://dalong.net/review/etc/etc_cata_e.htm#vo

Cool. I def would be painting mine, so color separation isnt that concerning for me. Appreciate the advice.

Question 2: What HG or MG Unicorn/Banshee is the best? I have heard a lot of griping about the various unicorns and banshees being finicky and unfun to assemble, issues with the psychoframe, etc. There are a ton of kits, anyone have a good argument for one over the other? Excluding p-bandai stuff.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'd tell you to go for the OVA ver MG Unicorn. My best friend has the Katoki one and OVA ver fixes some stability issues.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I think I've built the most number of Unicorns around here, and it kind of depends on what you're looking for and your preferences. If you're into pink psychoframe, you're pretty much just stuck with Ver OVA for its fixes. If you like tons of weapons and/or green psychoframe but don't mind your kit becoming kind of a brick, FAUC is your go-to. Ditto Banshee for the arm weapons.

Only get the Phenex if you absolutely must have the back-mounted shields and blue psychoframe, because that kit is not designed to hide the nipper marks.

Edit: Oh, also, even if you're not gonna be painting the kit itself, putting some silver on the back of the psychoframe parts really helps them pop. Especially the green, they made that plastic way too dark.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Are there any good HG Unicorns?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I think I've built the most number of Unicorns around here, and it kind of depends on what you're looking for and your preferences. If you're into pink psychoframe, you're pretty much just stuck with Ver OVA for its fixes. If you like tons of weapons and/or green psychoframe but don't mind your kit becoming kind of a brick, FAUC is your go-to. Ditto Banshee for the arm weapons.

Only get the Phenex if you absolutely must have the back-mounted shields and blue psychoframe, because that kit is not designed to hide the nipper marks.

Edit: Oh, also, even if you're not gonna be painting the kit itself, putting some silver on the back of the psychoframe parts really helps them pop. Especially the green, they made that plastic way too dark.

Is this the OVA version?

http://www.hobbywave.com/plastic_models/gundam/mg/mg-unicorn-gundam-special.html

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Yep! Ver ka kits have different box art than typical MG's, like this for example:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thanks! Still deciding if I like the idea of FA unicorn or not.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I can vouch for the MG FA Unicorn being a good rear end kit. We put it in the last shooting pose will all of its bullshit strapped to it and the fucker hasn't dropped that pose in a year.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Am I making a mistake eyeing the PG Unicorn? I'm waiting to see if the price drops on Amazon any time soon. It's between that and the PG RX-78, but that's a real old kit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Bandai PG Unicorn is effectively an upscaled MG with a few extra bonus gimmicks. If you've built it, you kinda know what you're getting into already. If you're looking for more detail in it, the Dragon Momoko one is good for that.

The PG RX-78-2 is cool, but it has the weirdest, longest fingers in the world. And be prepared for a million screws.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

EVGA Longoria posted:

Are there any good HG Unicorns?

I've been happy with the FA Unicorn and Banshee Norn HGs I built. They're a little loose in the joints, and they don't transform, but I'm satisfied.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The Bandai PG Unicorn is effectively an upscaled MG with a few extra bonus gimmicks. If you've built it, you kinda know what you're getting into already. If you're looking for more detail in it, the Dragon Momoko one is good for that.

The PG RX-78-2 is cool, but it has the weirdest, longest fingers in the world. And be prepared for a million screws.

Kinda surprised at this take, since the OP has the opinions reversed (that the RX-78-2 is basically a large MG kit at this point, and that the PG Unicorn is the only PG really worth getting).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neurolimal posted:

and that the PG Unicorn is the only PG really worth getting).

Don't know how you're getting that when PG Strike is the kit I chose as the figurehead for the line in the OP.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
What's it like to build a Bandai kit from the 80s? Someone alluded to old kits earlier, and there's a fair amount of non-Gundam and might be a Gundam robot kits floating around Ebay for super cheap and dammit they're kinda tempting...

Like this one.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

And seeing the development of the line from an older time is pretty drat cool. There's a lot of functions in the older PGs (and some MGs) that I'm kind of sad they didn't go further with and work out all the kinks.

But seriously, I am not joking, there are TONS of parts on the PG Unicorn that are the exact same as the MG equivalent. Like, with no changes at all. The PG RX-78 is still very much its own entity even if time has allowed them to miniaturize poo poo and cut down things to fit a lot of it into a 1/100 package.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Turbinosamente posted:

What's it like to build a Bandai kit from the 80s? Someone alluded to old kits earlier, and there's a fair amount of non-Gundam and might be a Gundam robot kits floating around Ebay for super cheap and dammit they're kinda tempting...

Like this one.

You're basically going to be building a poorly proportioned statue that at most will be molded in two colors and need serious painting to look good.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Kuroyama posted:

I've been happy with the FA Unicorn and Banshee Norn HGs I built. They're a little loose in the joints, and they don't transform, but I'm satisfied.

I was happy with my Destroy Mode Unicorn kit too: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2010/09/review-corner-high-grade-universal.html

I just got a HG Sinanju 2 weeks ago to complement it. Finally found one IRL that was reasonably priced. Course I already have a backlog so... Yeah.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

TaurusOxford posted:

Don't know how you're getting that when PG Strike is the kit I chose as the figurehead for the line in the OP.

Gonna buy the PG Strike Rouge when it's back in stock, I think.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Derp, guess I got that from someone else, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Turbinosamente posted:

Like this one.

They're very simple and oddly proportioned, not much in the realm of articulation. Stuff that is good are the zakus and goufs because they're mostly just 1 color anyway. They require PS cement, which is you just lightly apply it on the edges to be joined, then sandwich accordingly and wait an hour. Nothing to it really.