Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

No stop sharing your screen with me I don't want to see you slowly and painfully recreate the issue I just want the error message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Super Slash posted:

Man why do people always want to know the "Why" of everything

They're collecting political ammunition. Happens all the time here.

"I couldn't do my work today because an e-mail was missing and those incompetents in IT couldn't figure out what's wrong with their e-mail server."

Of course, they called the Helpdesk because of a PDF issue, but tomayto/tomahto.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Lord Dudeguy posted:

"I couldn't do my work today because an e-mail was missing and those incompetents in IT couldn't figure out what's wrong with their e-mail server."

Of course, they called the Helpdesk because of a PDF issue, but tomayto/tomahto.

I wish I had :10bux: every time some user tried to blame their lack of productivity on my team. I would be a millionaire several times over by now! We've had users sit on problems for months, never report it, and then tell their manager it is our fault. It has gotten so bad that with certain teams, especially the sales guys, I've had to start emailing them and CC'ing their managers detailing the problem, when the problem started, when it was report, how I fixed it, and "confirming" everything the user and I talked about all on top of putting that in a ticket.

:nms: Had another seat pooper today. The "angle of attack" was so bizarre that I can't begin to imagine the kind of gymnastics that had to have been required to accomplish it. Luckily, I had a phone interview today and it went really well!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Erm, Office 365 seems to have upgraded SharePoint document libraries and made them not-terrible. Obviously this is a temporary state and I will find something tomorrow that is still unbelievably poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Or "We blew a $5 million new business pitch because the projector didn't work."

That was fun. The VP of New Business came back from a pitch that did NOT go well. He throws shade at me because the projector is owned by the IT department. So I get called into the main conference room with him, the president of the agency and the Senior Creative Director for North America (who has "Got Milk" on his resume). VP of NB rants a bit, "we looked like jerks", "$5 million" etc. etc. with the other two looming over each of his shoulders. He runs down and says "So what do you have to say for yourself ?"

:cheeky: "Did it work in rehearsal ?"

Silence.

After a long, awkward moment, the president chimes up with "Thanks for coming in mllaneza." And I walk off trying not to laugh.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Internet Explorer is a loving crime against humanity and anyone who writes web applications that only work in IE needs to be fired.

Out of a cannon.

Into the sun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Collateral Damage posted:

Internet Explorer is a loving crime against humanity and anyone who writes web applications that only work in IE needs to be fired.

Out of a cannon.

Into the sun.

Look this program only works in IE6, and we won't update it because it works perfectly fine.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mllaneza posted:

Or "We blew a $5 million new business pitch because the projector didn't work."

That was fun. The VP of New Business came back from a pitch that did NOT go well. He throws shade at me because the projector is owned by the IT department. So I get called into the main conference room with him, the president of the agency and the Senior Creative Director for North America (who has "Got Milk" on his resume). VP of NB rants a bit, "we looked like jerks", "$5 million" etc. etc. with the other two looming over each of his shoulders. He runs down and says "So what do you have to say for yourself ?"

:cheeky: "Did it work in rehearsal ?"

Silence.

After a long, awkward moment, the president chimes up with "Thanks for coming in mllaneza." And I walk off trying not to laugh.

There are a few, oh so few, moments in life where you wish you were being filmed by your own camera crew

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look this program needs to work in IE6, and we won't update it because we're they 6th largest health insurance company in USA (who also still run XP)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Old lady that's the receptionist 3 days a week bitches about people 'adjusting her chair' all the time.

"Someone adjusted this chair! My god!"

Look lady, someone else sits in it 2 days a week. Quit acting so surprised if it's not exactly how you left it. I wouldn't care if she didn't come over here to complain and ask if I could fix it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Old lady that's the receptionist 3 days a week bitches about people 'adjusting her chair' all the time.

"Someone adjusted this chair! My god!"

Look lady, someone else sits in it 2 days a week. Quit acting so surprised if it's not exactly how you left it. I wouldn't care if she didn't come over here to complain and ask if I could fix it.

Office furniture, of course, being an IT responsibility

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

The obvious solution is to replace the chair with a non adjustable one.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Me in an email to the training team : "Hey, what training on terminations does the internal training team provide managers?"

*one chain of emails asking me to clarify my question, people forwarding my question to multiple people and other teams later*

HR lady in an email to me: "I spoke to the director of IT. He said to speak to him and he'll clarify everything for you, Switch."

:bang:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Me in an email to the training team : "Hey, what training on terminations does the internal training team provide managers?"

*one chain of emails asking me to clarify my question, people forwarding my question to multiple people and other teams later*

HR lady in an email to me: "I spoke to the director of IT. He said to speak to him and he'll clarify everything for you, Switch."

:bang:

No matter where you go, managers continue to gently caress up terminations and new hires. The most basic of processes that they simply can't be assed to do. This is the first time in a while though that managers have admitted to not even thinking about where new employees are going to sit and if we even have room. Had an employee quit on her first day because there wasn't room anywhere for her to work and she felt like maybe her new boss wasn't taking her seriously. Embarrassing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

No matter where you go, managers continue to gently caress up terminations and new hires. The most basic of processes that they simply can't be assed to do. This is the first time in a while though that managers have admitted to not even thinking about where new employees are going to sit and if we even have room. Had an employee quit on her first day because there wasn't room anywhere for her to work and she felt like maybe her new boss wasn't taking her seriously. Embarrassing.

We're now on our third or fourth go-around where IT is pushing back against HR about how they need to get all of the info from the managers before they open a ticket because the current "process" just means IT has to chase people down to get the most basic of information that should be given to HR as a matter of course for onboarding.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

You know. Reading stuff like this makes me really appreciate the place I work at now. on my 1st day i got a bag of goodies from the company. everything was set up. did introductions.
The goodies were probably some leftover from an event. but still i appreciate the thought.

Thank god for one note. Was getting blasted with info the 1st few days. Could not remember it all. but as the lead was talking I just kept taking notes. And today I still rely on some of them.
Tomorrow wil also mark the end of my probationary period. Hopefully nothing happens to screw that up.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

mewse posted:

We got a ticket from some asshat VP of ~*EQUITY RESEARCH*~ saying that his desk chair had broken, he found a replacement in an empty office, but he needed someone to come up and take the broken one away.

Bear in mind that we are an MSP many states away from his office in Boston. He knows this.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Pissing me off (kinda):

Bossman wants to roll out MDM to all phones that have access to company data. I suspect this includes personal phones.

I have removed the on-call engineer mail account from my phone and am refusing to do this because gently caress that noise, and gently caress that guy.

I'll happily have MDM on a company issued phone, but gently caress having it on my personal phone.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

We fired a guy 3 weeks ago and HR still won't give us any instruction on whether to take him out of the system or not. They want to be so secretive about poo poo.

It'll just sit for a few months until someone in accounting says "WHY ARE WE STILL PAYING $6/MONTH FOR DAVE'S EMAIL ACCOUNT HE DOESN'T EVEN WORK HERE ANYMORE" and that will raise a stink and cause HR to finally tell us to remove him from the system.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

We fired a guy 3 weeks ago and HR still won't give us any instruction on whether to take him out of the system or not. They want to be so secretive about poo poo.

It'll just sit for a few months until someone in accounting says "WHY ARE WE STILL PAYING $6/MONTH FOR DAVE'S EMAIL ACCOUNT HE DOESN'T EVEN WORK HERE ANYMORE" and that will raise a stink and cause HR to finally tell us to remove him from the system.

We had an employee continue to reply to emails weeks after leaving the company in a sensitive sales position. Despite HR excuses, they couldn't come up with any answer but "no" when I asked them if they followed the HR policy on terminations. The best they had was "everyone in the company should have known this person was fired". All on you, idiots.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
So we're rolling out some new software that will help us keep documentation up to date (idk why this is so hard in the first place). Part of the rollout, however, requires me to fix a bunch of bad documentation already in place. Normally this would be fine and is on my list of things to do when I've got time, but now I have a deadline and no decrease in my workload with which to get it done. Fantastic.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ChubbyThePhat posted:

So we're rolling out some new software that will help us keep documentation up to date (idk why this is so hard in the first place). Part of the rollout, however, requires me to fix a bunch of bad documentation already in place. Normally this would be fine and is on my list of things to do when I've got time, but now I have a deadline and no decrease in my workload with which to get it done. Fantastic.

This is why it never gets done

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm extremely grateful for my companies well defined hiring and termination policies. The only time we've had trouble so far is when a couple of employees went on extended leave, and I their AD accounts started showing up in my inactivity reports.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Other site contacted CFO yesterday about not being able to print. I sent them an email last Thursday that I cannot see the printer and to restart it, if that doesn't work factory reset and let me know (it has a DHCP reservation so I don't need to hunt for the new IP). Along with a company they can call if that fails and to let me know. Someone else emailed me there yesterday so I emailed them the same thing since they weren't part of the original message.

Site is 5,000 miles away someone at the site needs to tell me what they have done to the printer so I can help. CFO is angry they are involved in this now that I've forwarded my CYAs. What the hell have them been doing? Currently 897 documents in the print queue!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Self assessments.

When all I do and fix and install poo poo I really don't see how that fits in with strategic goals or whatever the gently caress they talk about in these prompts. Shaping ideas and solutions? I'm a lowly piece of poo poo tech who's never seen the main campus 1500 miles away and never will. I hardly feel like I'm even part of the larger company to begin with.

Honestly wish I could just put "I do my job". It's not like anybody's interested in what I did right, only what I did wrong, and that comes from the lead. Happens every year, they lead with so you did blah blah blah and that's great BUT we're concerned with.... and that is 95 percent of the conversation.Its like a Christmas card from grandma, you read it to be polite but you're really only interested in the money inside at the end of the day.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

One desktop guy is about to go on 3 days vacation to do whatever. Before he leaves, I go over all his projects with him and make it very clear that they all need to be done. To call his workload "light" is an understatement. He assures me in an email its all done. Queue this morning and the new hire he setup doesn't even have office installed. Doesn't have creative cloud licensed her email. Doesn't even have a loving phone number assigned. A new hire that was labeled a VIP 2 weeks before she even got here. Now I am called in with loving board members showing her around and I am left answering why she doesn't have basic access to things on her computer.

His vacation just got a lot longer.:commissar:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MANime in the sheets posted:

We got a ticket from some asshat VP of ~*EQUITY RESEARCH*~ saying that his desk chair had broken, he found a replacement in an empty office, but he needed someone to come up and take the broken one away.

Bear in mind that we are an MSP many states away from his office in Boston. He knows this.

It'd be great to send him a bill covering the cost of flying someone out there just to remove a chair.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bob Morales posted:

On the reverse of this I've got three mailboxes for ex-staff which are considered critical for the running of a department (yes really).
I've probably explained this about twice for the process of off-boarding people involves exporting their mailbox into a .PST so it can be archived so that anyone can take a copy and open it up if need be. But oh no holy poo poo you can't delete those mailboxes what if something goes wrong! Nevermind the fact I do this with everyone, the only one that ever went wrong being one of this persons ex-staff who had a fucky exchange profile which generated twice which I had to rescue from their machine.

I kindly remind them these take up valuable Exchange CALs and will need to buy in more if we hire more people, doesn't work though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Super Slash posted:

On the reverse of this I've got three mailboxes for ex-staff which are considered critical for the running of a department (yes really).
I've probably explained this about twice for the process of off-boarding people involves exporting their mailbox into a .PST so it can be archived so that anyone can take a copy and open it up if need be. But oh no holy poo poo you can't delete those mailboxes what if something goes wrong! Nevermind the fact I do this with everyone, the only one that ever went wrong being one of this persons ex-staff who had a fucky exchange profile which generated twice which I had to rescue from their machine.

I kindly remind them these take up valuable Exchange CALs and will need to buy in more if we hire more people, doesn't work though.

Can you convert them to a group mailbox? I know in office 365 you can do that and just assign it to the supervisor who needs access to it without it eating a license.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Aaaannd I just had a light bulb moment... yes you could do that while also still retaining permissions assigned to it, now I feel dumb for not thinking of this earlier.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SHAREPOINT IS YOUR JOB WHY AM I EXPLAINING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LISTS AND CALENDARS TO YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MF_James posted:

This is why it never gets done

Isn't that the truth :negative:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Executives just approved the change of the standard size of newly ordered monitors for new setups and replacements for broken monitors. The standard has gone from 20" to 24". It was not approved for a company wide change. After the desktop folks deploying 4 setups of these beautiful 24 inch, thin bezel monitors the amount of tickets we have for faulty monitors has grown in a massive scale. Suddenly so many monitors have issues.

Monitors are without a doubt the hardest thing to deploy a bit at a time. People just get so angry.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sickening posted:

Monitors are without a doubt the hardest thing to deploy a bit at a time. People just get so angry.

Honestly, I think if I had to deploy new monitors, I'd go by age of equipment, make a list, and if anyone tries to circumvent it by claiming fake issues, they go to the bottom. But I don't care if users like me.

oh please god let them all like me

mewse
May 2, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Self assessments.

When all I do and fix and install poo poo I really don't see how that fits in with strategic goals or whatever the gently caress they talk about in these prompts. Shaping ideas and solutions? I'm a lowly piece of poo poo tech who's never seen the main campus 1500 miles away and never will. I hardly feel like I'm even part of the larger company to begin with.

Honestly wish I could just put "I do my job". It's not like anybody's interested in what I did right, only what I did wrong, and that comes from the lead. Happens every year, they lead with so you did blah blah blah and that's great BUT we're concerned with.... and that is 95 percent of the conversation.Its like a Christmas card from grandma, you read it to be polite but you're really only interested in the money inside at the end of the day.

The guy on my team who I have the most conflicts with is putting down the "builds rapport and consensus" part of his self eval is N/A because he doesn't make the decisions

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Honestly, I think if I had to deploy new monitors, I'd go by age of equipment, make a list, and if anyone tries to circumvent it by claiming fake issues, they go to the bottom. But I don't care if users like me.

The biggest issues that happen are when people want to play music chairs with equipment from the top down. So every time you buy new stuff, the people at the top get them and then we shuffle all the way to the bottom. I refuse to do that. So far the CEO agrees that its wasteful.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

The biggest issues that happen are when people want to play music chairs with equipment from the top down. So every time you buy new stuff, the people at the top get them and then we shuffle all the way to the bottom. I refuse to do that. So far the CEO agrees that its wasteful.

Boss: "When you distribute these 6 laptops don't hand them over unless you get their old one back"

What actually happens: 3 laptops recovered, one is missing power adapter

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Since my equipment is paid for by taxpayers, every little thing gets cataloged in a database. If I ask for a replacement before four years are up or I can't produce a piece of equipment for the annual audit.. there's gonna be hell to pay.

It's annoying but effective. Very little wasted equipment here.

The only annoyance is that regulations prohibit deprecation.. if we paid $10,000 for something 20 years ago, it is always on the books as a $10,000 thing. So if it gets tossed in a closet and forgotten we're on the hook for $10k regardless of what its actual current market value might be.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a bit insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

If you mash the power button on some of the older HP monitors hard enough it'll get stuck in and 'power button lockout' to display across the screen. You can sometimes get it to unstick, but often it's permanently broken.

Funnily enough this seems to happen more when there are shiny new replacements being delivered.