Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Red or Golden curry both are fantasticccccccc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

weekly font posted:

Also get the Thai Iced Tea.

There's a Thai place with great lunch specials a few blocks away from where I work, and they have a "no ice" option for the iced tea that I'm almost afraid to try because I'm pretty sure that'd be the equivalent of slamming a can of sweetened condensed milk.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Hello I've been un-Internet for a time duration:

Skwirl posted:

loving christ, I was gonna watch it tonight with a glass of whiskey but have drank too much already for to have a coherent opinion on it. I'll watch it tomorrow afternoon with said glass of whiskey and report back my opinions.

Through a Glass Dark Archiely

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Stop Having Sex

This Must Be the Place (Nivea Melody)

Hey guys was there ever a time I didn't shitpost

Magic Hate Ball posted:

sipping a daiquiri through a five-foot silly straw that spells out "ARBEIT MACHT FUN"

:thurman:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My father-in-law likes to start spouting Breitbart-esque word clumps about black crime and Indian chiefs "hoarding money", at which point I gently excuse myself to go sit on the toilet and play electronic Yahtzee.

hateball man you're on loving fire.

Budgie Jumping posted:

The Fault in Our Mars.

Everybody on loving fire!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A point of contention with H.Bomberguy: the new Mario game isn't contrasting Mario with 'reality'. It's drawing some trickier associations between Mario and Grand Theft Auto. The point seems to be that Mario is the Tommy Vercetti of his particular universe - so, when you trade their places, it's both a radical alien intrusion and ultimately a joke that not much has changed. Item blocks are now (revealed to be?) street signs, turtles are taxi-cabs, etc. At a certain level, it's just a palette swap.

SuperMechaGodzilla have you ever played or seen Whoa Dave!?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

having to flip an album halfway through automatically makes it better. LPs and tapes are king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf5XgkG0JfI

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 31, 2017

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
American Goons join the general strike on the 17th.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That Sonic and the characters in Star Wars 7 are unthreatening isn't the conclusion; it's one point in the broader ideological critique.

Like, you can establish a contrast with how Rogue One (the better-made film with, not coincidentally, more progressive themes) received a lot of nerd criticism because the (sex-having, adult) characters were deemed 'dour' and 'unlikeable', the whole film dismissed as 'grimdark' - despite there being not much of an overall difference.

A point of contention with H.Bomberguy: the new Mario game isn't contrasting Mario with 'reality'. It's drawing some trickier associations between Mario and Grand Theft Auto. The point seems to be that Mario is the Tommy Vercetti of his particular universe - so, when you trade their places, it's both a radical alien intrusion and ultimately a joke that not much has changed. Item blocks are now (revealed to be?) street signs, turtles are taxi-cabs, etc. At a certain level, it's just a palette swap.

And that has the counter-effect of defanging GTA. It's somewhere between a homage and a dis, if you think about it.

The odyssey reference should be given more importance. Mario is 'journeying to alien places' and learning about their culture, viewing it through the lens of an outsider. One of the worlds happens to resemble our own. It should be taken as an opportunity to interrogate the fabric of society itself, like when Captain America awakens from his slumber at the end of The First Avenger and discovers that the world has become a nightmare.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Power of Pecota posted:

Semi-related to this - if you do have a turntable, how many records do you have to own for it not to be weird? I was talking about this with a friend like a year ago and they said just one, and I think that's total bullshit.

I mean everyone has to start somewhere, but if you already have the turntable and you've only got one record that's pretty lame. Also if you have a Crosley turntable you might as well not even bother.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ten seems like a good minimum for a reasonable collection, but that's just because I can't imagine spending eighty plus on a machine that plays one thing.

Eighty plus? For that kind of money you're going to have a garbage turntable that will most likely destroy your records. I always tell people outright that if they don't like spending money stick to digital downloads. In fact usually I discourage people from getting into it at all.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Plus old vinyl is cheap unless you're collecting major classics or something. That's a big part of the medium's appeal for me.

This was true until somewhere in the last few years when all the cool kids hopped on the bandwagon. Prices for everything have gone completely insane. Also stuff that is considered classic is often much cheaper because there are a lot of copies in circulation. The exception here is when it's something that only got popular in retrospect like Nick Drake or something.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's my favorite aspect. I'm really impatient to get my record player and general hi-fi system back (almost three years in storage aaa) because I hate going to record stores and finding interesting stuff and being like "oh i can't buy this nvm". There's something really nice about playing records.

I've spent at least 200 dollars on records this month.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 31, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hbomberguy posted:

The odyssey reference should be given more importance. Mario is 'journeying to alien places' and learning about their culture, viewing it through the lens of an outsider. One of the worlds happens to resemble our own. It should be taken as an opportunity to interrogate the fabric of society itself, like when Captain America awakens from his slumber at the end of The First Avenger and discovers that the world has become a nightmare.

In the Mark Millar comic that scene is based on, Captain America goes "Yeah right, like a black could ever be in charge of anything, nice try Nazis!"

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Drunken Noodles are my go-to Thai dish

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Death By The Blues posted:

American Goons join the general strike on the 17th.

I think I'm off that day anyway :/

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm guessing he's one of those freak deviants who think chili has beans and tomatoes in it.

Beans are fun

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Pineapples are the best part of a Hawaiian Barbeque Chicken pizza.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hbomberguy posted:

I love you hbomberguy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone rewatched Enemy of the State (1998) recently?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CPL593H posted:

Eighty plus? For that kind of money you're going to have a garbage turntable that will most likely destroy your records. I always tell people outright that if they don't like spending money stick to digital downloads. In fact usually I discourage people from getting into it at all.

Look forward to your screed about improper heads stretching and warping tapes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

You can definitely get a good used turntable for like $75 or less

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snak posted:

It sucks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Snak posted:

Yes and it turns out the ratio of funny stupid to boring stupid was not nearly as good as I had remembered.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gene Hackman tries to make chicken salad out of chicken poo poo to no avail.

Watch Sandy B's The Net instead.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Yes and it turns out the ratio of funny stupid to boring stupid was not nearly as good as I had remembered.

Good, then I don't have to watch it. I was afraid it might have somehow turned into a relevant commentary now that the surveillance state is so far beyond what was far-fetched when the movie came out.

weekly font posted:

Watch Sandy B's The Net instead.

Oh man.

My favorite part is that erasing data is portrayed by a photoshop filter over the data. Like, on the screen is a picture of a driver's license, and it starts to crystallize as it's deleted. :barf:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The only good thing about Enemy of the State was teaching movie audiences about hypoglycemia.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Always watch The Conversation instead.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think you're confusing there being brazillian steakhouses called Texas de Brazil with texas being famous for them.

source: I've lived in Texas my whole life and never heard we're famous for them

San Antonio has good Brazilian steakhouses

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ynohtna posted:

Always watch The Conversation instead.

Actually, any excuse to watch The Conversation is a good idea.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Toebone posted:

Drunken Noodles are my go-to Thai dish

Pretty good, also enjoy Evil Jungle Noodles.

Also a big fan of Khai phalo, which is an egg and some type of meat stewed and delicious.

Tom Kha is also a must, and I have had this wonderful fisherman soup a few times, some sort of fermented tomato base, can't recall the name though.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Enemy of the State is bad because people claim Hackman is playing Caul in it and that makes me angry.

Also for other reasons

Like quality

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Enemy of the State has Jason Lee in it.
That's about all I remember.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Oh wow Jason Lee

he used to be in things yeah

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

FishBulb posted:

Oh wow Jason Lee

he used to be in things yeah

Yeah.
I think I did as this a youtube of the day before, but I always enjoyed this goofy bigfoot movie he was in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGpgLADCPC4

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

They're doing a TV series of it, I think I read yesterday.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yo, what happened to BbV?

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

MacheteZombie posted:

Yo, what happened to BbV?

What

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Big Black Veins?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Big Black Veins?

Would have capitalized the second b if that was the case.

Blockbuster Video, I don't see it in the CineD subforums

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MacheteZombie posted:

It became it's own forum for some reason.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

MacheteZombie posted:

It's not a subforum anymore.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
awww it grew up

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

wyoming posted:

Enemy of the State has Jason Lee in it.

Also Jack Black..for some reason.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

awww it grew up

More like it's about to suffer from SIDS

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It had that condition where it ages quickly like the movie Jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CPL593H posted:

IDK, you can get a good used turntable for about a hundred if you talk to someone in the community. I just want to be able to listen to my Deutsche Grammophon Mozart set.

Discount Viscount posted:

hateball man you're on loving fire.

ahaha ty ty

• Locked thread