Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Nenonen posted:

This came only a few days after a drunk Finnish man had been found trying to get a boar to penetrate him and then crashed his car. Which is perfectly legal in Finland, btw. - I mean the zoophilic act, not the drunk driving. But back to the comic. The act of forming pairs of something, like socks, is "paritella", but the word also stands for sexual intercourse.

I think you could maybe manage a similar pun in English using "paired." Regardless, great to see more Fingerpori, as always.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

"Mating" would also get the point across nicely

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

Fingerpori

This came only a few days after a drunk Finnish man had been found trying to get a boar to penetrate him and then crashed his car. Which is perfectly legal in Finland, btw. - I mean the zoophilic act, not the drunk driving. But back to the comic. The act of forming pairs of something, like socks, is "paritella", but the word also stands for sexual intercourse.

I love these and I am gonna make the second panel my avatar.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

loving goons.

Ripley's

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

I'd forgotten how many of the adults in this strip are joyless. I think most police officers would humor a little kid for taking the situation so well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like the not to subtle implication that Hobbes hid under the covers.

e: it just occurred to me that this might actually be something Calvin calls him out on, it's been a while since I read the arc.
e2: it is not, but strangely still feels like it could be.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 31, 2017

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I just like the guy's dapper Officer Dingle hair-cut.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

How much do we wanna bet the Jane Fonda reference is cause she dared oppose the Vietnam War? Who the gently caress still defends that? Also why Dick Van Dyke? :psyduck:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shirec posted:

Who the gently caress still defends that?
"Someone who wrote two VIET NAM VETS into his legacy comic" seems like a very obvious answer.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Someone who wrote two VIET NAM VETS into his legacy comic" seems like a very obvious answer.

I honestly forgot that was what was on their hats. We haven't seen those chucklefucks in a hot minute. I had recalled it just being VETS or some nonsense.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Shirec posted:

How much do we wanna bet the Jane Fonda reference is cause she dared oppose the Vietnam War? Who the gently caress still defends that? Also why Dick Van Dyke? :psyduck:

Well, she sorta toured PoW camps and said " Everything is A-Okay and those guys claiming they got tortured by the North Viet are liars and pawns."

Like, the enemy would show you the bad places when you're being used for propaganda.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, she sorta toured PoW camps and said " Everything is A-Okay and those guys claiming they got tortured by the North Viet are liars and pawns."

Like, the enemy would show you the bad places when you're being used for propaganda.

Yeah IIRC she actually came to regret it herself because the Vietcong shoved their fists up her rear end and used her as a puppet. Even so, it's dumb to still be sore about it in TYOOL 2017. I expect Sluggo making a snarky reference to John Kerry's service record soon.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Johnny Aztec posted:

That, and they did force her to sit on a AA gun for a photoshoot.

A picture of Hanoi Jane getting ready to blast American planes didn't exactly do wonders for her public image.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

sweeperbravo posted:

I can't tell if this is supposed to show children playing doctor or an actual doctor
I'm glad you post this comic, because it's arguably the worst of the vintage comics you post, reminding us that not everything comic from that era was great
You should see the dreck I leave behind - I should do a dreck post at some point. It's no Everett True, but I like the dog in today's strip. :)

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (January, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (May, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (May, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (May, 1935, click for big))

Good dog.

They'll Do It Every Time (April, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (October, 1940)

Tweedy (October, 1955, click for big)

Archie (October, 1955, click for big)

Jaf (1970)

Feiffer (1971, click for big)

Andy Capp (February, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (March, 1971, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (November, 2009, click for big)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Baldo improves on a classic.

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

I've decided that on days that Wallace The Brave doesn't update, I'm going to click "Random" and post what comes up, so we're never without Wallace. Today's random strip starts this policy off rather perfectly.

and finally Curtis goes :smith:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Not exactly a radical statement from today's Curtis, but still pleasantly surprising because I would have figured it'd have the "pull up your pants black kids" kinda viewpoint on modern racism.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Not exactly a radical statement from today's Curtis, but still pleasantly surprising because I would have figured it'd have the "pull up your pants black kids" kinda viewpoint on modern racism.

Ray Billingsley is a cranky old man about some stuff (mostly rap music), but he hasn't gone full Cosby yet.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Vargo posted:

I've decided that on days that Wallace The Brave doesn't update, I'm going to click "Random" and post what comes up, so we're never without Wallace. Today's random strip starts this policy off rather perfectly.

Good choice, Wallace is one of my favorite comics. It's just so unabashedly feel-good. Also:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Selachian posted:

Ray Billingsley is a cranky old man about some stuff (mostly rap music), but he hasn't gone full Cosby yet.

My but there's an expression which has picked up interesting new meanings.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Brahms is the name of the guy that comes in once a week to clean the piano.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

I'm sure I'm quoting these wrong, since I'm not the kind of person who remembers quotes from the Godfather movies.

So yeah, the joke's an untranslatable pun. Combination consonants are not normally used in the Korean language even with foreign words, so phonetically "Robert" is identical to "Robot".

It's All Right Chief Dharma

No matter how many times I see it happen I can't get used to the idea that in South Korea corporations are considered to have obligations to the employees, not the shareholders. I mean yeah it never works out that way in practice anyway but still.

Another untranslatable pun. The President's name is being written in such a way on the front page to look like an adverb, as that word is phonetically mostly indistinguishable from his actual name. Incidentally I don't think his name has ever been mentioned before and it appears to have surfaced here for the sole purpose of making a pun.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Brahms is the name of the guy that comes in once a week to clean the piano.

hahahaha
gross.

Did you edit that or does he really have a penis nose

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

It's sad. In this comic not even the trampy slutty dirty whore slut gets to have premarital sex. But she sure as hell still gets slut shamed.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Rocket in the back seat doing his own thing trying to ignore the boring grownups up front nattering on about who gives a gently caress. He reminds me of me on long car trips as a kid.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love that getting a guy's phone number is some super incredible thing. Like an even Bernice couldn't manage to get some dude's phone number.

Hi, are you a moderately attractive girl wanting my number? Sure, here it is:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is all about time management.

Working Daze tries to make three jokes, fails all three.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gets in a good one!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

It's a small detail, but I appreciate that it looks like he put the two Batman ones where there are actual HOV lanes. I mean there are more now (HOV or HOT), but back when this was made I think it would have just been 270 and 66.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Mary's not quite sure what to do. She already meddled. That usually does it.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

When you agree to live with the nickname "Fats," you lose the right to be angry for being called fat.

Apartment 3-G

"Well, there are all these other critically injured people, but, nah, we'll just drop everything to help your slightly dazed acquaintance."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Snot is traditionally rendered as yellow in Korean comics?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

I love these and I am gonna make the second panel my avatar.

Already I'm regretting not putting "It makes sense in Finnish" as my avatar text.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life in a nutshell: nerdy enough to slap a superhero logo on a shirt, too lazy to keep it consistent when the character is mirrored betwee panels. Also hands are hard to draw.

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Day 2 of slowly walking in fog.

AKA poo poo, I moved the storyline too fast with the shootout, gotta pad somehow.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

algebra testes posted:

Already I'm regretting not putting "It makes sense in Finnish" as my avatar text.

Ha, I love that!

Fingerpori

It makes sense in Finnish - the old jungle saying "The Phantom is rough for roughnecks" translates literally as "hard for the hard ones".

This is an old one:

Thanks, Obama!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Dec. 1, 1994)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Wouldn't have figured Arlo to oppose his wife feeling naughty.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

"Sentence first, verdict afterward!"

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 1, 2017

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not missing anything, having never watched BBT, right? All I know about it is "NERD REFERENCE" "BAZINGO" and that's probably the extent of the show. Maybe a "life lesson" once in awhile.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

This bothered me as a kid. Why did they switch places in the middle of the night?

• Locked thread