Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

JetBlue rolled back in to a basic economy type product last year, they'll go further with it in the coming years I'm sure.

JetBlue's BE is way better than the big 3's BE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mandalay posted:

JetBlue's BE is way better than the big 3's BE.

JetBlue basic economy is roughly comparable to big 3 regular economy for non-elites, but they're almost certainly going to do something more in the future.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

JetBlue basic economy is roughly comparable to big 3 regular economy for non-elites, but they're almost certainly going to do something more in the future.

Is it? More legroom than legacy coach and IFE. Full earning and no carryon restrictions. Comparatively fair flight change fees if your trip is far away.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

air- posted:

Basic economy on AA means gently caress them, I am gonna make sure to fly anything but them from now on. I can't believe I'd rather fly Southwest in 2017.
Are you flying AA frequently? If so, having any sort of elite status (or even a cobranded credit card) exempts you from half the attributes.

creationist believer posted:

American's basic economy is worse than Delta's and better than United
These days you could probably replace "basic economy" in that sentence with most anything, and it'd be true.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
JetBlue also doesn't oversell seats. Those basic tickets of the BIG 3 are likely first to get chopped when a seating issue arises. That one thing can make a huge difference depending on the route/situation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mandalay posted:

Is it? More legroom than legacy coach and IFE. Full earning and no carryon restrictions. Comparatively fair flight change fees if your trip is far away.

The only thing that's different compared to standard economy on delta is legroom and change fees. JetBlue IFE is terribly outdated at this point.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Better snacks on JetBlue too! I admit I haven't flown delta much, but I have not been impressed by their in flight product. I can't imagine their IFE being better than live DirectTV.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Mandalay posted:

Better snacks on JetBlue too! I admit I haven't flown delta much, but I have not been impressed by their in flight product. I can't imagine their IFE being better than live DirectTV.

Depends on what plane you're on. All the 737-900, 757s, and 767s have great in flight systems with a ton of free tv and movie options and quite a few have live TV as well. Granted there are plenty of planes with nothing, but their streaming service in flight is pretty great.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Mandalay posted:

JetBlue is a solid economy product. I love the wi-fi and free snacks, and that you can grab your own drink from the cooler on the transcon planes. The prices are usually spectacular too.

I would say JetBlue is better than Delta for coach flying, definitely. But JetBlue doesn't have the same international coverage, extensive network, lounges and frequent flier benefits.

I've always recommended people to try to fly JetBlue over other carriers, especially if they have freedom to choose who to fly. With JetBlue Mosaic status, you basically can change to any flight you want: and since JetBlue does not oversell seats, you're practically guaranteed a seat for whatever time you want to fly. And since there's barely anybody that's Mosaic, usually the gate agents or flight attendants will know you and address you by name from the flight manifest.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Work will reimburse for a lounge, I'm flying United now, so i got their club membership. Does the United club allow to you to enter the club if you're not flying United as AA does?

Also I like jetblue for the aforementioned reasons, but can't fly them as much as I'd like because they don't fly to a lot of the places I go.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

Work will reimburse for a lounge, I'm flying United now, so i got their club membership. Does the United club allow to you to enter the club if you're not flying United as AA does?

Also I like jetblue for the aforementioned reasons, but can't fly them as much as I'd like because they don't fly to a lot of the places I go.

Yes, you can access without flying United. But the best thing about United Club membership is that you can access any Star Alliance lounge internationally (provided you are flying on Star Alliance). You may find yourself dealing with agents who are convinced you are not allowed access though, since it's quite uncommon abroad.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

i fly airplanes posted:

Yes, you can access without flying United. But the best thing about United Club membership is that you can access any Star Alliance lounge internationally (provided you are flying on Star Alliance). You may find yourself dealing with agents who are convinced you are not allowed access though, since it's quite uncommon abroad.

I don't believe that's true. United Club memberships are good for United Club access only; if you have Star Gold you can access those lounges but that is distinctly different than simply having a lounge membership.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mackieman posted:

I don't believe that's true. United Club memberships are good for United Club access only; if you have Star Gold you can access those lounges but that is distinctly different than simply having a lounge membership.

It's true.
http://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

quote:

PAID LOUNGE MEMBERSHIP CUSTOMERS
As an eligible holder of Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline Business Class Lounge2. Eligible paid memberships include United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide. You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport together with your valid eligible paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest. 2 Except in Singapore where the Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Gold Lounge is available.

No equivalent benefit in SkyTeam or OneWorld, so far as I know.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

It's true.
http://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

No equivalent benefit in SkyTeam or OneWorld, so far as I know.

That's still kind of balls that you have to be on a Star Alliance flight to get in the lounge if you paid for the membership for a year.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Midjack posted:

That's still kind of balls that you have to be on a Star Alliance flight to get in the lounge if you paid for the membership for a year.

Only for non-United Clubs. Also, getting the Chase United Club credit card is the same as the lounge subscription (I think) so a lot of people don't even know that they have lounge access and full membership benefits.

While there is no SkyTeam equivalent, SkyTeam lounges overall suck pretty badly. Even the nice ones, like Air France and Korean Air, are pretty average, and nearly all are open to Priority Pass cardholders.

On a related note, for the first time ever flying, I was unable to check-in for an itinerary because Delta wants to "verify" the credit card I bought the ticket with. This has never happened to me before, and there's nothing special about the card either.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Doing a < 24 hour turn between the US and continental Europe on WW tomorrow! Wish me luck...

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Can I gift a stay for someone using my Marriott points/cash? Or do I have to do the old 'I'll be checking in later' and put my friend on the room as well?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I am guessing the Cathay lounge at heathrow is the best choice for one world lounges?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cacafuego posted:

Can I gift a stay for someone using my Marriott points/cash? Or do I have to do the old 'I'll be checking in later' and put my friend on the room as well?

You can call the Marriott reservations desk (or elite line if you have status) and they'll book a reservation in someone else's name on your behalf. No big deal at all.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

sellouts posted:

I am guessing the Cathay lounge at heathrow is the best choice for one world lounges?

I haven't been there yet, but all accounts I've seen say the newly reopened T3 Cathay lounge is head and shoulders above the other one world lounges at Heathrow. I think you have to be arriving or departing on a flight going through T3 to get access; if you're flying BA out of T5 your only options are the BA lounges at that terminal.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Sweet, glad I changed my LAX-LHR-BCN flight to be AA instead of BA on the transatlantic portion. (I'm AA Plat/OWS) Terminal 3 CX lounge, here I come!

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 28, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hahaha I mean I hope you changed flights for better reasons than that

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

Hahaha I mean I hope you changed flights for better reasons than that

Well, my LHR-BCN flight was cancelled so I was rebooked on the earlier flight--a 60 min connection from LHR T5 (arriving from USA) to LHR T3. Seemed bad.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Something weird is happening in the southwest today- PHX arriving has been a mess (no gates for an abnormally long time) and now we are sitting on the tarmac waiting for clearance to take off because Albuquerque lost our flight plans? What?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Cathay lounge is basically exactly how I remember it from a few years ago. It's great. Noodle bar continues to be flavorless but a solid option.

And under 10 hours lhr to lax. I don't ever remember the trip being that short.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Delta domestic flights eating a ground stop currently due to their computers loving up.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Midjack posted:

Delta domestic flights eating a ground stop currently due to their computers loving up.

Sitting here in Denver. It's not looking good.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Sitting here in Denver. It's not looking good.

Same in Los Angeles. Things finally started moving though. A bunch of flights have started boarding.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Same in Los Angeles. Things finally started moving though. A bunch of flights have started boarding.

Fffff canceled.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Fffff canceled.

Same but somehow got the last seat on the only SFO flight left. Got booked on an American flight to SJC that was gonna be delayed an hour but thankfully don't need it anymore.

Such a mess.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Haha this flight has at least 7 open seats on it (including a few in first) but the gate agent won't clear anyone else from the cancelled flights.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Booked out at 6am tomorrow. Christ what a cluster.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I'm flying United today :grin:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Did the protesters cause any issue?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I landed at Bradley about 2 hours before it really sucked.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I had issues with a Virgin Atlantic flight last night due to the stop. Was about 2.5 hours delayed.

789s are nice, first time on a 787 last night.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

Did the protesters cause any issue?

I think for some later flights it was tough for people to even get into the airport. For me, it added 15-20 minutes just getting to T5, but nothing too insane.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Android Auto has become my new rental car must have.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Just listening to a conversation between an F passenger and a flight attendant about how the airline (AA) only stocks 4 bottles of woodford for each flight. I overheard another FA complaining last week, (can't remember if delta or united) that said they only stock 2 or 4 dr peppers per flight. What's the reasoning behind that? I'm assuming cost cutting in the case of woodford - freeloaders in F (upgrades) drinking lots of expensive alcohol, but why not stock more Dr Pepper if apparently it's something the FAs are constantly complaining about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What makes that one FA a representative sample?