Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
Oh, there will be beheadings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

more like :yayclod: :yayclod:

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
canoeing

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is fun and a very Canadian thing to do. Just not when its -11 outside.

Aeryk posted:

Oh, there will be beheadings

I am slowly starting to believe that your system is going to lead to targeted political killings if things keep going at the pace they are and that just makes me sad. :(

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

I am slowly starting to believe that your system is going to lead to targeted political killings if things keep going at the pace they are
hoo boy, have i got bad news for you

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Trump said he'd kill the families of terrorists. Are you really that surprised?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Trump said he'd kill the families of terrorists. Are you really that surprised?
her 16 year old brother had already been killed during the obama administration, so no im never surprised by america's war crimes. but that wasn't surprise i was expressing, more like horror/anger/outrage/etc

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Apparently everyone forgot how to drive in the snow today.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Furnaceface posted:

Is fun and a very Canadian thing to do. Just not when its -11 outside.

I meant the seal team 6/us military practice of desecrating people they've killed with an extra shot to the top of the head to split their skull open

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeS_lZySMf8

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Rodatose posted:

I meant the seal team 6/us military practice of desecrating people they've killed with an extra shot to the top of the head to split their skull open

I had never heard of that before and what the gently caress??

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/10/the-crimes-of-seal-team-6/

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

You mean extralegal government hit squads lack oversight and might be bad people? :ohdear:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Randler posted:

You mean extralegal government hit squads lack oversight and might be bad people? :ohdear:
you have to remember, randler, that americans live on a war to war basis and they don't carry over memories of previous wars to their new wars. so it bears repeating

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Excuse me, smug european sirs, but there was no seal team 6 in the last war the US fought, which was WW2.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

aw yeah, it's time for dems to start caring about yemen

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

exmarx posted:

don't call me a dem, buddy

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

R. Mute posted:

don't call me a dem, buddy

i'm not talking about you!

anyway, she should have had a more responsible father.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

exmarx posted:

I can't criticize Trump for bombing/storming places since I did not do it to Obama much beyond the occasional drone joke.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Mustached Demon posted:

I can't criticize Trump for bombing/storming places since I did not do it to Obama much beyond the occasional drone joke.

:crossarms:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

lol press sec just didn't deny they'll target families so soon you'll morally be able to.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Furnaceface posted:

the us military is for frat boys who want to voluntarily commit wanton violence on the Other and get paid for it. american culture and media cheers them on heroically and you can't question it because war is hell and boys will be boys and besides the victim obviously had it coming

I mean it makes sense for them to pee on corpses or take trophies or throw dogs off cliffs and videotape it if your think of them as frat boys just looking for a good hoot and holler

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

lol press sec just didn't deny they'll target families so soon you'll morally be able to.

Well the thing here, sir/madam, is I do not need another reason to criticize our gilded leader.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/pisspiggranddad/status/826329736422907904

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Is this really news to anybody?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
the language/arguments used to defend troops who commit war atrocities and date rapist quarterbacks is strikingly similar

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/leloveluck/status/826365647806464000

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Randler posted:

Is this really news to anybody?

no, it's nice that it's explicit though

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rodatose posted:

I mean it makes sense for them to pee on corpses or take trophies or throw dogs off cliffs and videotape it if your think of them as frat boys just looking for a good hoot and holler

it also makes sense if you think of them as any army ever.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Pirate Radar posted:

A long time ago two kids got raised by a she-wolf and well just look what happened

I emerge from the bushes to say...

I appreciate this.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Volkerball posted:

it also makes sense if you think of them as any army ever.

war is hell????

some armies have actual discipline and hold people all up the ranks accountable for violations instead of constantly covering each others' asses bc you can't violate the oath of fraternal secrecy

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
well, some people might act up anyway, no use on abiding by the geneva convention

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rodatose posted:

some armies have actual discipline and hold people all up the ranks accountable for violations instead of constantly covering each others' asses bc you can't violate the oath of fraternal secrecy

mmmm. no.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
do you think there's no difference between an organization who has isolated incidents and one who has a culture of violation of agreed-upon norms

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rodatose posted:

do you think there's no difference between an organization who has isolated incidents and one who has a culture of violation of agreed-upon norms

CYA, or leaks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
back in the spanish american war, the us had a reputation for gallantry of all things. there was one account from a spanish admiral dude who got his rear end kicked by the navy, and as he was brought on board a us ship, he heard them cheering. he thought they were cheering that he had been defeated, but he soon noticed that they were actually cheering his bravery, and honoring him and his men. there were stories like this all over the war. it was the peak of teddy roosevelts glorious war absurdity. then you cut forward just a couple years, and this same army that weighed honor and integrity so highly is stuck in a brutal war in the philippines, and they are massacring civilians and burning down villages and all sorts of other horrible poo poo. it was a night and day transition immediately.

point being that it's not discipline or training or anything like that dictates how men will fight. it's the situation. it's easy to think of yourself as and act noble and chivalrous when you're winning. but you're just one brutal environment away from completely losing who you are. the same goes for each and every one of you for that matter.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
non-americans are routinely astounded or horrified at what passes as acceptable in american culture esp wrt the use of military and police force, america's hardon for authoritarian violence is not a universal cultural norm even though it seems self-evident

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Rodatose posted:

non-americans are routinely astounded or horrified at what passes as acceptable in american culture esp wrt the use of military and police force, america's hardon for authoritarian violence is not a universal cultural norm even though it seems self-evident

americans hardly invented either, we're not special snowflakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rodatose posted:

profound

• Locked thread