Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

$30,000 in San Diego? Is that even enough to afford to breathe?

Not really. My situation is such that I don't pay rent or utilities, and I'm still living paycheck to paycheck. It's a struggle to put away the $200 a month I am.

The problem with quitting is that this is a huge step up in pay from my previous job (on-demand Amazon driver). But at the same time, working like this has made me realize administrating computers sucks and is probably not what I want to continue doing. Did I mention I'm also responsible for Tier 1 and 2 helpdesk duties? Nobody in the "network administrators" is specialized or in charge of anything. I'm supposed to cover phones, tickets, and my professional development all at the same time. There's zero structure.

I guess I should start getting ready to leave :/ I was not prepared for this onslaught of responsibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RyuHimora posted:

Not really. My situation is such that I don't pay rent or utilities, and I'm still living paycheck to paycheck. It's a struggle to put away the $200 a month I am.

The problem with quitting is that this is a huge step up in pay from my previous job (on-demand Amazon driver). But at the same time, working like this has made me realize administrating computers sucks and is probably not what I want to continue doing. Did I mention I'm also responsible for Tier 1 and 2 helpdesk duties? Nobody in the "network administrators" is specialized or in charge of anything. I'm supposed to cover phones, tickets, and my professional development all at the same time. There's zero structure.

I guess I should start getting ready to leave :/ I was not prepared for this onslaught of responsibilities.

What the gently caress company is this, they deserve to be put on blast.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RyuHimora posted:

Please please please tell us what company this is.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
no company wants to pay anyone more than they have to, so what i'm guessing happened here is, they figured out you would accept 30k, and then a couple of execs went in the back room to laugh really hard in awe of how much they're screwing you. now you're working hard, taking the job seriously and stuff, so they figure they'll just keep piling on the work to get more out of you, since eventually you'll realize how lovely the deal is and leave

i mean, it's possible that really is how much they're paying the others too, but that's like... even worse

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

RyuHimora posted:

Aw, dude, I feel bad for you. poo poo, I just started a helpdesk job in Canada at 30k, with a raise to 33k after my probation's up. Living in San Diego and getting 30k is not a fun time.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

JewKiller 3000 posted:

and then a couple of execs went in the back room to laugh really hard in awe of how much they're screwing you

That's the really weird thing. I was interviewed by the Senior network administrator. The HR lady in the room at the time hardly spoke. I've only seen one executive, the owner of the company. It seemed like they were concerned about getting skills rather than just warm bodies (which makes the other people in my hiring group way more suspect now that I think about it).

I'm hesitant to post which company it is since I know that's generally frowned upon here. Is that something I can be asked to provide?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'd say: get as much exp as you can, don't kill yourself or sweat anything that they're asking you to do (especially if it comes to on-call stuff), and get out when you can and earn literally double your current salary, if not more.

mewse
May 2, 2006

In my previous position someone I respected called my wage "highway robbery" and it took a university degree for me to climb out of the well. Get out of that job ASAP but also do your best not to feel any stress about a 30k/yr position even if you need the money.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I bet this is where the poster works

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RyuHimora posted:

That's the really weird thing. I was interviewed by the Senior network administrator. The HR lady in the room at the time hardly spoke. I've only seen one executive, the owner of the company. It seemed like they were concerned about getting skills rather than just warm bodies (which makes the other people in my hiring group way more suspect now that I think about it).

I'm hesitant to post which company it is since I know that's generally frowned upon here. Is that something I can be asked to provide?
Name and shame.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

air- posted:

I bet this is where the poster works

What the hell is that?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

PBS posted:

What the hell is that?

*activates Google*

https://www.facebook.com/aoicorp/photos/a.891214444247760.1073741832.154646657904546/1224979264204608/?type=3&theater

http://careerlink.com/job/5802-000394-it-support-technician/

lovely job posting for some office construction/furnishing company in Omaha.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Rephrasing, what is that supposed to be?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I'm gonna be the normal one. Get experience. Abuse the learning poo poo they have. If you gently caress up oh well you were making what a barista makes. Get a new job but don't quit because these idiots tell you that you're underpaid. Get a job first.

Also everyone of you that works at a lovely msp have been at the same position. You're just graduated up to senior in a lovely msp. Get hosed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I'm gonna be the normal one. Get experience. Abuse the learning poo poo they have. If you gently caress up oh well you were making what a barista makes. Get a new job but don't quit because these idiots tell you that you're underpaid. Get a job first.

Also everyone of you that works at a lovely msp have been at the same position. You're just graduated up to senior in a lovely msp. Get hosed.

Ah.... Not even close. Congrats on your Stockholm Sydrome / bootstraps?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jaegerx posted:

This is the lie people tell themselves to make themselves believe they need to stay in a lovely situation. Aggressively look for another job and don't let anyone else pay you poo poo wages. There is a difference between low wages and poo poo wages. People that offer you poo poo wages don't respect you. Don't work for people who can't respect you.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

This is the lie people tell themselves to make themselves believe they need to stay in a lovely situation. Aggressively look for another job and don't let anyone else pay you poo poo wages. There is a difference between low wages and poo poo wages. People that offer you poo poo wages don't respect you. Don't work for people who can't respect you.
I've gotta agree. It might feel good having a lab to play around in -- something you can generally do for free at home anyway -- but if there are no mentorship opportunities providing you the ability to grow yourself, you're in the wrong place.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

which part of a get a job first did you idiots ignore?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

which part of a get a job first did you idiots ignore?

No one is saying quit without having a job lined up you complete and utter loving moron.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

everyone is telling him to sever and quit. Hows your MSP?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

Care to quote the people telling him to leave without a job lined up?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Seriously, get the gently caress out of there as fast as possible. It is not a healthy work environment. Even if you were willing to accept this amount of money and being asked to do this amount of work, there will always be something there to gently caress you over.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I see. So you have poor compression skills. Thanks for clarifying that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Are you sure you quoted the right post?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

So to expand for clarification, because jaeger lacks reading comprehension skills, the advice people are giving in this thread IS to FIND A NEW JOB AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BEFORE YOU GET THE gently caress OUT OF THERE AS FAST AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN. hope that helps.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 31, 2017

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

jaegerx posted:

Why is every post you make such irredeemable garbage?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Is English your first language? Or second? Or even third? Do you KNOW English?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It seems like each week one of the IT threads has a melt down and makes it insufferable to read that week. Can we all just agree no one recommends quitting a job without something else lined up and that his current job is ripping him off?

Let's not spend the next 5 pages on this it does no one any good. Recommending next positions and interview tips are productive and encouraged.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I much prefer threads to be sufferable.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
But in all seriousness Ryu, holy poo poo. Do whatever you can to get out of there sooner rather than later.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

GreenNight posted:

I much prefer threads to be sufferable.

Dilbert was a martyr

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

But in all seriousness Ryu, holy poo poo. Do whatever you can to get out of there sooner rather than later.

I might not have a choice soon. Taking the job meant giving up a lot of financial assistance I was getting, so I'm actually not quite making ends meet paycheck to paycheck. The sad part is I think I might be able to make just as much money by combining my two previous jobs (Subway/Amazon driver) without giving up that assistance, and I really liked delivering for amazon. This job is almost certainly not worth this poo poo they are putting on me.

I'll post what company this is once I know I'm headed out the door for real. If you want to know who they are so you can avoid them, I don't have PM so hit me up at my gmail (exact same username).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Roargasm posted:

Dilbert was a martyr

LEFT TURN THREAD! NOOOOOOOOO!!!

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
Anyone here self-employed? Help me make a decision here.

Current salary is $130K/yr plus $5K in matching 401K contributions. I also get $40K/yr in military retirement income. Wife makes $30K/yr at a part-time teaching gig. I do NOT rely on the company-provided healthcare or dental plan, (I rely on TRICARE for that and it's worked out fine). We're still a small startup so there's no company-provided life insurance yet, so I won't be missing that either.

Current employer says she can convert me to a 1099 at a rate of $80/hour, which works out to $150K/yr working 1880 hours/yr (47 work weeks).

So which is better? Don't worry - I've got an appointment with a CPA tomorrow afternoon to discuss this for real. I just wanted to get people's initial reactions.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I'd never do 1099 work at under $100/hour.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ltugo posted:

Anyone here self-employed? Help me make a decision here.

Current salary is $130K/yr plus $5K in matching 401K contributions. I also get $40K/yr in military retirement income. Wife makes $30K/yr at a part-time teaching gig. I do NOT rely on the company-provided healthcare or dental plan, (I rely on TRICARE for that and it's worked out fine). We're still a small startup so there's no company-provided life insurance yet, so I won't be missing that either.

Current employer says she can convert me to a 1099 at a rate of $80/hour, which works out to $150K/yr working 1880 hours/yr (47 work weeks).

So which is better? Don't worry - I've got an appointment with a CPA tomorrow afternoon to discuss this for real. I just wanted to get people's initial reactions.

Self-employment tax is 15.3% so you do the math on that one.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

anthonypants posted:

I'd never do 1099 work at under $100/hour.

Any reason why? I'm struggling to find a downside here.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ltugo posted:

Your CPA will be better-equipped to discuss with you the myriad of taxes which will become your responsibility as a 1099, but if you want someone to answer today you should check out the bizfin forum. I just think it's a huge hassle and also $100 is a nice, round number.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ltugo posted:

Higher/more taxes that you have to do yourself or pay an accountant to do for you. You have to provide your own insurance. (In the US) No paid vacation, no paid sick days, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ltugo posted:

Current employer says she can convert me to a 1099 at a rate of $80/hour

Only if you're actually treated as a 1099 independent contractor and can set your own hours, schedule, work environment, etc, and freelance for competing companies. This is not going to happen. They will continue to treat you as a regular employee even though that violates federal labor laws.

You'll lose out on paid vacation, paid sick leave, company general-liability insurance, disability insurance, federal sick leave (FMLA), federal and state benefits like unemployment. Should they decide to stop paying you for any reason, your case becomes a civil contract dispute and you'll have to take them to collections. It's not like you're an employee owed money to be paid that the court could compel them to hand over... because you're no longer an employee.

So if you're considering downgrading to a contractor, make sure you're getting at least double your total compensation and are able to go get yourself a second "customer" to work for in addition to your main "customer".

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 31, 2017