Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I wish the cavs had roster space for both Rio and Lance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

LeBron strongarmed the Cavs into overpaying for all of his agent/friend's clients and then complains that the front office isn't doing enough. There's nothing left to do! They have no flexibility left. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I don't hate LeBron or anything but it's completely asinine that he publicly called out Griffin for this poo poo in the first place.

Lebron was actually pretty clear that he wasn't blaming the FO. Asking for a backup PG isn't, like, an impossible thing even if your cupboard is bare.

So Lebron said Griffin was doing what he could do, wasn't calling out anybody. If you want to put words in his mouth then call your made-up thing asinine I guess.

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/823966345888927745?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
If they waive Birdman (out with ACL injury) then they have two roster spots.

Kyrie/Chalmers
JR/Shump
Lebron/Lance/Korver
Love
Thompson/Frye

That would be a better playoff rotation than they could put out at the start of the year.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I wish the cavs had roster space for both Rio and Lance

They've been keeping Andersen on the roster as dead weight incase they could use his expiring deal in a trade, but he is eminently cuttable if they choose.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

tanglewood1420 posted:

If they waive Birdman (out with ACL injury) then they have two roster spots.

Kyrie/Chalmers
JR/Shump
Lebron/Lance/Korver
Love
Thompson/Frye

That would be a better playoff rotation than they could put out at the start of the year.

I think the reason why they haven't waived birdman yet is because they need salary dump to match with any trades if they do make that kind of move.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yay, just placed an order with my ticket rep for All Star tickets! I'll be going to both Saturday and Sunday's events. :D

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I just don't see Lance Stephenson doing anything that Richard Jefferson or Iman Shumpert doesn't already give you. Lance is a complete garbage shooter, and you don't need playmaking on the court when you have Kyrie Irving and Lebron James, you need shooting.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
But he DOES make 'em dance

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
If I don't know if it was covered here, but apparently the Cavaliers tried to get TJ McConnell for Jordan McRae.

Who could have predicted a year ago that not only would a team offer an NBA player in trade for TJ McConnell, but that the offer would actually be insulting?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I just don't see Lance Stephenson doing anything that Richard Jefferson or Iman Shumpert doesn't already give you. Lance is a complete garbage shooter, and you don't need playmaking on the court when you have Kyrie Irving and Lebron James, you need shooting.

Jefferson is shooting .311 from three this season and is a terrible defender.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Tae posted:

So do people want 20 second isos every possession or something, because that's the only real alternative to lessening the 3-point line

And before you answer, watch 20 games of this year's Mavericks and Harrison Barnes

I wonder if defenses are going to figure out improve their coverage of the 3pt line. We've only had a few years of Moreyball, so I could see some new schemes that make it harder for teams to get as many 3pt looks.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tanglewood1420 posted:

Jefferson is shooting .311 from three this season and is a terrible defender.

Lance stephenson is a worse defender and a worse 3 point shooter.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I wonder if defenses are going to figure out improve their coverage of the 3pt line.

Yes. This is what the smart guys are working on.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wonder if teams were figuring out their defense against 3-point shooters, but then Curry popularized shooting from 30+ feet and everyone started doing it which reset the clock on that.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

dokmo posted:

Yes. This is what the smart guys are working on.

How long would you say P&R was dominating the league before ICE became popular?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/mchalmers15/status/826472776957562880

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

I wonder if teams were figuring out their defense against 3-point shooters, but then Curry popularized shooting from 30+ feet and everyone started doing it which reset the clock on that.

I think you mostly still want people shooting from that far out. I'm guessing the PPP on those shots are not very good.

A thing no one has said before today.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just trade some future seconds for Ish

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This is an article worth reading, imo:

https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/826445076742209536

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lance stephenson is a worse defender and a worse 3 point shooter.

On the shooting it's debatable how big a difference that is depending on if you think Jefferson's legs have gone completely and he's not getting his shot back this season. And if Jefferson can't shoot then he gives you nothing at all since he can't drive, can't stay in front of anyone and doesn't rebound. Defense wise Stephenson has the physical tools to be at least average and perhaps playing with Lebron on a title contender gets full buy in effort wise from him the way it did with JR.

They just need someone to spell Lebron for 12 minutes a game in the regular season and for like 4 minutes a game in the finals. They need a backup point guard too absolutely, but I think the fact that Lebron is leading the league in minutes per game is crazy and they need another wing to back him up too.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tanglewood1420 posted:

On the shooting it's debatable how big a difference that is depending on if you think Jefferson's legs have gone completely and he's not getting his shot back this season. And if Jefferson can't shoot then he gives you nothing at all since he can't drive, can't stay in front of anyone and doesn't rebound. Defense wise Stephenson has the physical tools to be at least average and perhaps playing with Lebron on a title contender gets full buy in effort wise from him the way it did with JR.

They just need someone to spell Lebron for 12 minutes a game in the regular season and for like 4 minutes a game in the finals. They need a backup point guard too absolutely, but I think the fact that Lebron is leading the league in minutes per game is crazy and they need another wing to back him up too.

I agree with all of this, but the answer is likely to play Shumpert, Korver, and JR, when he gets back, more. Not to replace one over the hill, bad player with another over the hill bad player.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
LeBron's pissed because he misses Dellvadova.

Signing Lance Stephenson would be hilarious.

And getting rid of the 3 pt line wouldn't suddenly make the good teams bad. There was a chart party that changed all the 3s to 2s last year and I think less than ten games actually changed from being a win to a loss.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Kibner posted:

Yay, just placed an order with my ticket rep for All Star tickets! I'll be going to both Saturday and Sunday's events. :D

I'm expecting pictures, perhaps a thread

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

How long would you say P&R was dominating the league before ICE became popular?

I'm not sure. A couple of weeks ago I spent some time watching Nash from 2005 and I don't think I saw anyone ice. In fact I saw a bunch of defenders push him to the middle, which was very strange.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

pubic works project posted:

But he DOES make 'em dance

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
LeBron putting all the attention on this keeps it from his teammates. GOAT leadership calling out Barkley. Also the *puts on ball cap* "There is a new sheriff in town" Is loving great.

Somehow Devin Booker poked a bear, and the bear did not rip his face off
http://streamable.com/5yyfi

I feel like young Z-Bo would have turned around and snapped him in half, ran back down the court, and jacked up an airball 3.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Jack's Flow posted:

Derek Fisher was poo poo and he should start a grumpy podcast with Mark Jackson where they tell the world how great they are.

Fisher is a moron. Unless we don't know something that he does, the Knicks barely even ran the triangle under his tenure. Or they ran it but it wasn't the end all be all and it wasn't like Jackson was sitting behind him forcing him to run it that way. And where does his old rear end get to talk? He was carried to all his championships and spent his twilight years being dirty as gently caress and getting undeserved minutes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm expecting pictures, perhaps a thread

I'll try my best!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

LeBron strongarmed the Cavs into overpaying for all of his agent/friend's clients and then complains that the front office isn't doing enough. There's nothing left to do! They have no flexibility left. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I don't hate LeBron or anything but it's completely asinine that he publicly called out Griffin for this poo poo in the first place.
They have an open roster spot

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18591231/angry-lebron-sounding-off
This is a Windy article about Lebron. Warriors added Durant and Cavs let Dellavedova go and haven't replaced him. Picking up Korver was nice but I mean was kind of just because they lost JR to the injury.

Maybe it's not what he wants but the article mentions the Mavs picking up Yogi Ferrell. The Cavs have an empty roster spot, surely they could have put a Yogi Ferrell or Pierre Jackson on a bunch of 10-day contracts like the Mavs have been doing, and then sign one of them longer if they're good. Is there a reason they haven't bothered? I guess they're finally now bringing in some dudes for try outs. But it seems like they could have done this a month ago. Mario Chalmers okay. But they really should get Nate Rob!

Paul Zuvella posted:

You can use his playmaking to let LeBron and Kyrie rest.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 31, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I associate ICE with Thibs, but that's more because you hear his hoarse rear end voice yelling it constantly.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Doltos posted:

Fisher is a moron. Unless we don't know something that he does, the Knicks barely even ran the triangle under his tenure. Or they ran it but it wasn't the end all be all and it wasn't like Jackson was sitting behind him forcing him to run it that way. And where does his old rear end get to talk? He was carried to all his championships and spent his twilight years being dirty as gently caress and getting undeserved minutes.
Fisher got all his rings stolen by robbers yesterday

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

But they really should get Nate Rob!

Just this forever.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I am going to the Raptor game today. My gf got me tickets for my birthday last week. Luckily we are in the upper bowl though so no one has to worry about me throwing a hot dog at Demarre Carroll's face

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

I wouldn't call it strong arm, as he, kyrie, and love takes up the salary cap, so Cavs couldn't get any better replacements even if they wanted to. As you've pointed out, those players don't add great value, so why would any team take a trade for them for something good? this the reality of the salary cap, pushed by billionaire assholes, such as his boss.

gently caress barkley, and gently caress knowing your place bs logic.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Fast Luck posted:

Fisher got all his rings stolen by robbers yesterday

Good. I wish I could flop my way to a NBA championship while randomly throwing passes when it's my turn to sit on the high arc

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

gently caress you for reminding me of Derek Fisher on the thunder

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Favorite Derek Fisher Thunder stat was that one stretch of the season where fans shooting half court shots had a higher FG% than Derek Fisher.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Doltos posted:

Good. I wish I could flop my way to a NBA championship while randomly throwing passes when it's my turn to sit on the high arc

Luis Scola blatantly flopped on the play where he 'elbowed' a man.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Barkley is a loud-mouthed fool, but I love him. His job is to entertain, and he does it.

I generally respect the hell out of Lebron, but every once in a while he steps in it. He's being a thin-skinned little bitch here. Barkley's past personal pecadillos had nothing to do with anything. Lebron created the situation where he personally chose his teammates and made sure how well they got paid. The Cavs don't have much wiggle room now, because of Lebron's moves.

Lebron should responded to Barkley's chatter by saying "all I'm looking for is a backup point guard off the scrap heap" and no one would care. But he didn't. Attacking Barkley for unrelated personal behavior doesn't change the fact that Lebron built this team and put it 25 mil over the cap, and then called out management for not doing enough to win.

gently caress Dan Gilbert is always a valid point - but in this case it doesn't make Lebron less of a thin-skinned little bitch.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Metapod posted:

gently caress you for reminding me of Derek Fisher on the thunder

The best part about him on the Thunder is he asked Cuban to release him so he could be closer to his kids in LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

predicto posted:

Barkley is a loud-mouthed fool, but I love him. His job is to entertain, and he does it.

I generally respect the hell out of Lebron, but every once in a while he steps in it. He's being a thin-skinned little bitch here. Barkley's past personal pecadillos had nothing to do with anything. Lebron created the situation where he personally chose his teammates and made sure how well they got paid. The Cavs don't have much wiggle room now, because of Lebron's moves.

Lebron should responded to Barkley's chatter by saying "all I'm looking for is a backup point guard off the scrap heap" and no one would care. But he didn't. Attacking Barkley for unrelated personal behavior doesn't change the fact that Lebron built this team and put it 25 mil over the cap, and then called out management for not doing enough to win.

gently caress Dan Gilbert is always a valid point - but in this case it doesn't make Lebron less of a thin-skinned little bitch.

The Cavs wouldn't have any room even if they paid Tristan Thompson less as they would still be over the cap. They are over the cap all they can do is sign minimum guys or look for trades. Once you are over the cap there is no flexibility and they were gonna be over the cap no matter what.

Also lol at the dude who gets insulted every loving day on national TV being called thin skinned.

gently caress Charles Barkley and his Uncle Tom rear end forever.

Also

Wade on it...

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 31, 2017

• Locked thread