Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Anyone factory reset a Nexus 10 lately? Does it help much at this point? I'm probably going to just use my wife's iPad Mini 2, but really the ridiculous lag and performance is the only problem with the Nexus 10, battery is still strong, screen is still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SlayVus posted:

Looking for some options for my grand mother for a tablet. She has a fire tablet right now, but it's too small for her. I believe it's the 7" version. I'm trying to figure out if getting a 10" tablet would be best or some kind of set top+monitor solution.

Couple options I was looking at.
  • Galaxy View for $400 + some kind of mounting option(Can't find any though)
  • Android set top + monitor + monitor arm
  • 10 tablet, probably Fire, + tablet floor stand
  • Something else that I haven't thought of

I don't understand what you're looking for, between the tablet request and then you also throw in STBs and mounting hardware. Does she actually need a large tablet, for portability? In that case get the Fire HD 10, it's cheap and she already clearly uses Amazon services. It'll be an easy upgrade.

Does she just need a setup with a large display, regardless of OS? That changes things, and it starts with an inexpensive large monitor, but I'm still confused by all your requirements regarding mounting. (I didn't know a "tablet floor stand" was a thing, but I looked it up and they sure do make them!)

What does she need to do? What software does she run, etc.?

There are plenty of options for your grandma, but I can't figure out what you're going for here.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
She's old, she doesn't need portability, she has bad eye sight. She has a lot of books through Kindle services and android/fireos would be easiest for her to use. Shes like 75% confined to a hospital bed, thats why all the mounting options.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 24, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SlayVus posted:

She's old, she doesn't need portability, she has bad eye sight. She has a lot of books through Kindle services and android/fireos would be easiest for her to use. Shes like 75% confined to a hospital bed, thats why all the mounting options.

Good on you for helping out. I think sometimes about how much better off I'm going to be as an old person than my grandparents had it because of internet and other tech when it comes to having something to do with my time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hmm. A 10 inch tablet will just give her more small elements. What you really want is Android N's DPI adjustment controls. You can scale the screen from 0.8 to 1.5x, or more through Developer Options. Kick it high enough and a tablet even goes into phone UI.

Dunno what reasonably priced tablets would have N, though. The K1 is meant to get N in a few weeks, but that's only a promise and it's only 8 inches.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 24, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Stick with a Fire tablet or iPad. Don't get your grandmother an actual Android tablet.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Stick with a Fire tablet or iPad. Don't get your grandmother an actual Android tablet.

Yeah, straight up, the iPad is the way to go. Unless she's somehow committed to Android, there should be enough in the way of accessibility options with the iPad to make it the "push the Kindle button and read a book" device. If not, I suppose a Galaxy View wouldn't be the worst thing, considering it's a big ol' 1080p screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix has added SD card support for download locations. So, that joins Amazon Prime, Google Play Movies and Vudu for SD card support for offline viewing.

That's making the Shield mighty compelling for a tablet. It would be very easy to load up the SD card with legal high quality movie/TV show downloads to watch offline.

How large of a card does it support?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bull3964 posted:

Netflix has added SD card support for download locations. So, that joins Amazon Prime, Google Play Movies and Vudu for SD card support for offline viewing.

That's making the Shield mighty compelling for a tablet. It would be very easy to load up the SD card with legal high quality movie/TV show downloads to watch offline.

How large of a card does it support?

The only official information is that it supports up to 64 GB storage, but that was from before 128/256/512 GB cards were widely available. In theory though, since it is an MicroSDXC slot, it's supposed to support up to 2 terabyte cards, and most MicroSDXC devices have not had trouble using up to the 256 GB cards.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

fishmech posted:

The only official information is that it supports up to 64 GB storage, but that was from before 128/256/512 GB cards were widely available. In theory though, since it is an MicroSDXC slot, it's supposed to support up to 2 terabyte cards, and most MicroSDXC devices have not had trouble using up to the 256 GB cards.

I've used a 128GB card in mine for about a year now, works like a champ.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Normally yes, but if vision is the really limited factor those DPI settings are going to be a gamechanger, and iPad and Fire don't have equivalent. The other accessibility options are pretty half-hearted.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 24, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SlayVus posted:

Alright, this gives me more to work with. My first question is now, if she's primarily going to use this for reading books, why not get her an actual Kindle eReader? It has a better display for reading text and you can adjust the text size, plus they last far longer on battery than a tablet. The current models are all 6", although I think they had some larger ones in the past, and not only are they reasonably cheap new you can find refurbs very cheap; I got a Kindle Keyboard a couple months ago for like $25.

Next, if she's in a hospital bed (and I'll point out I work in a hospital) doesn't she have access to one of those overbed tables? Can she not hold a lightweight eReader? I feel like the mounting stuff is needlessly complex for this situation. You could get a tablet holder like this to clamp to the table: https://www.amazon.com/Cellphone-AFUNTA-Gooseneck-Blackberry-Rotating/dp/B01KEXDZRW/

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MikeJF posted:

Normally yes, but if vision is the really limited factor those DPI settings are going to be a gamechanger, and iPad and Fire don't have equivalent. The other accessibility options are pretty half-hearted.

You can make text comically big in iOS somewhere in the settings. Full slider controls and everything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can do that in all android versions too, but text alone isn't all that useful when the rest of the UI is left small.

Anyone here got a Pixel C on N who could pop into Dev Options and set Smallest Width to 480 and take a shot of the result?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 25, 2017

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I can change the UI scaling on my 6P (I keep it smaller, and it actually feels like I'm utilizing the giant screen better), and it bugs the poo poo out of me that this is not an option on each and every Android phone and tablet. My Nexus 7's UI looks hilariously oversized in comparison.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

In five years when most new devices are running nougat, it will be available on them all :)

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

MikeJF posted:

You can do that in all android versions too, but text alone isn't all that useful when the rest of the UI is left small.

Anyone here got a Pixel C on N who could pop into Dev Options and set Smallest Width to 480 and take a shot of the result?

512(didn't notice it didn't go to 480) vs

Should've screenshotted the home screen before, forget the setup I had :(

On both I had the tablet horizontal.

minusX fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 25, 2017

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
I posted this a few weeks ago.

Praxis Prion posted:

Looking for a new tablet with a certain set of criteria. I don't know a whole lot about tablets, so I'm not sure if I'm way off the mark here on expectations.

• Relatively inexpensive, $200-300 maybe, but I can wiggle on this
  • Decent screen size, at least 10" probably
  • Decent battery life, 4-6 hours or more preferable
  • Ability to install steam and play older or less intensive games like Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Mark of the Ninja, Factorio, Terraria, Prison Architect, FTL, stuff like that. None of that "stream games from your PC or the cloud for a monthly fee" poo poo though. I don't have high hopes for performance or reliability over wireless, and I'd like to be able to use it in a car for example. I want to be able to download the games and play them locally. I guess this would mean Windows tablets only, right?
  • Enough storage to facilitate installing a few games
  • Keyboard optional
  • USB inputs? Either for a small portable mouse or maybe steam controller

Also, how does that work with tablets and cellular signal? Aren't those more expensive? Does it tie in with your phone company for additional monthly charge or what? I don't really need cellular though, wireless would be just fine.

Kind posters recommended checking out the Surface Pro 4 for what I was looking for, but pointed out that my expectations on price were way off. This is fine, I can be flexible on price. After looking through the last several pages of this thread, I weighed the options of getting a traditional laptop instead. However, I really like the idea of the portability of a 2-in-1 for late night web browsing in bed in tablet mode with the keyboard out of the way. I know the Surface Pro 5 is rumored to be announced in March, which isn't too far off, and I'm wondering if I should hold off to see if it will be a significant upgrade. I'm not "super" concerned about min-maxing performance since I still have a beast of a desktop for AAA games, so I like the idea of the core m3 version of the SP4 since it is fanless (I often like to stay up and read on my phone in bed after my wife goes to sleep. Quiet is king). I wonder if the SP5 will have a passively cooled version as well, but as far as I can tell everything is just speculation at this point.

I've kept an eye on retail sale prices for new SP4s since this post. It's typically ranged from full price to $100-150 off or so everywhere. As of today, Best Buy currently has the SP4 bundled with keyboard $300-off at $699. I mention Best Buy because with my clumsy rear end and a 5 year old running around, I figure it would probably be a good idea to get a 2 year replacement plan as much as I hate these plans and paying a premium for them. I justify this based on reports that the Surface Pros are next to completely unserviceable and no replacement parts exist if anything goes wrong with them. Best Buy wants $159 for a 2-year.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...p?skuId=5624784

This is the lowest price I've seen since keeping an eye on the SP4s. I wonder if it would be a good idea to jump on this, or hold off until March for when the SP5 is likely announced, and see if the price may drop even significantly lower -- or hold off altogether and see if the specs of the SP5 justify paying full price for a new one. What do you guys think?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Someone here might be able to help you, but you'll likely get more help in a Windows thread rather than an Android thread.

I'm not sure which thread, but it'll be a laptop thread in shsc probably.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If you ever get a surface do not buy best buy warranty. Take it directly to a microsoft store (which should be able to pricematch and walk out with all your hardware+warrenty) and get the microsoft direct warranty.

re: the m3 surface pro 4: It's a solid, competent windows machine for the price. From the reviews of this model, you can play skyrim on it. It should be able to handle any low end indie game you throw at it. If you're worried about a mouse you should get a BT one and pair it directly to the device.

I do not recommend buying a surface without the keyboard, however. The on screen is competent but if you're going to use it in desktop mode it's a must. You can wrap it around or toss it away when you're not needing it.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

If anyone wants me to demo some games on the SP4 I will.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I bought a Fire HD 10 and sideloaded the Play Store. Does anybody know how to add a second Google account to it?

edit: never mind, I managed to do it through the Youtube app.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 27, 2017

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
I have a Nexus 7 that's a couple years old. Trying to run the Netflix or Pandora apps is a huge chore, they are taken forever to load or connect to their services. Every other device in my house has no issue, other streaming apps are fine too. Any idea if this is a software, hardware, or network issue?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FordCQC posted:

I have a Nexus 7 that's a couple years old. Trying to run the Netflix or Pandora apps is a huge chore, they are taken forever to load or connect to their services. Every other device in my house has no issue, other streaming apps are fine too. Any idea if this is a software, hardware, or network issue?

Try running CCleaner and see if that helps - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.piriform.ccleaner&hl=en

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

FordCQC posted:

If it is a 2012 Nexus 7, it could very well be a hardware issue. They had bad flash chips that would get slower over time. If it's a 2013, it's probably software.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Grumpwagon posted:

If it is a 2012 Nexus 7, it could very well be a hardware issue. They had bad flash chips that would get slower over time. If it's a 2013, it's probably software.

Well I did some testing, and both my phones, which are Windows phones, are have the same issue. Network problem then?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FordCQC posted:

FordCQC posted:

Well I did some testing, and both my phones, which are Windows phones, are have the same issue. Network problem then?

What sort of wifi router do you have? You might be getting poor reception. At least for the Windows phones, if they're recent, switching to a new router with 802.11ac should get you much better network perfromance. The Nexus 7s are too old to support 802.11ac, though.

Also if your wifi router only does 2.4 ghz right now, just switching to a router that does the 5 ghz band as well may help - you should get less interference from other nearby networks.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Agreed about the router. I had a Linksys WRT160N for several years and didn't realize why things like my Fire TV Stick kept stopping in the middle of shows. Then I found a great deal on a TP-Link AC1900 and I haven't had a single wifi issue since.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

It does sound like a WiFi issue, but I'll reinforce the above: I have both Nexus 7s, and the 2013 still works great while the 2012 is miserably slow.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect
So here's an update: First off, my Nexus 7 is a 2103 model. I called AT&T and they sent a tech out, who replaced my modem. We ran speed tests on the wireless and got great results, including on the Nexus 7 and one of my kids' Kindles which were experiencing the issue. The AT&T modem is dual band, so I have as many devices as possible on 5ghz, including the Nexus and the Kindle I speed tested.

However, Netflix is still incredibly slow to load to the library. If it can get there though, streaming mostly goes off without a hitch. I'm tempted to call Netflix customer service and see if I need to do port fowarding or something. Has anyone ever run into an issue like this before?

FordCQC fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 31, 2017

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 details leaked

SoC: Snapdragon 820
RAM: 4GB
Display: 9.6-inch 2048x1536
Camera: 12MP rear, 5MP front
Software Android 7.0
Measurements: 5.6mm thick

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Shield wifi tablets got 7.0 today. Running it on mine now, seems like a pretty solid update.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I got an Asus Zenpad 3S 10 for my in laws. I've been playing around with it while I wait for the case to arrive and I have to say it's very nice. Great screen, battery life is ok and it charges very quickly. Runs fast too.

I MUCH prefer my Galaxy Tab S 10.5 running Nougat though. Why don't people make wide-screen tablets anymore? So much better for watching movies.

Edit : i had a senior moment and forgot the reason why I'd posted. The wi-fi in the Zenpad is appalling poo poo. Don't buy this tablet if you think you might have range problems.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 10, 2017

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So, my phone just completely poo poo the bed a couple weeks back and while I'm running on a 30 dollar, passable burner phone, I do miss my android gaming a lot. While a new phone isn't a reasonable purchase right now, especially since I'm still technically paying off my old, busted phone for the foreseeable future, I was thinking about picking up a Nvidia Shield K1 (I'm think that's the one everyone says was/is really solid?) as an alternative to shelling out for a brand new phone at the moment. Ideally I'd like to pick one up for about $150 used, but I'm also seeing Amazon sellers selling new ones for 80 to 100 dollars. Are those just total scams or knockoff products they've somehow gotten into the real thing's listing? Like I get that it's an old product but that seems insane.

Are there any other sort of midrange, $200ish tablets I should look at as well, or is the Shield my best bet for a gaming tablet in that range?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shield K1 is pretty much the only thing on that price range that's solid and has good performance.

Pixel C has the same X1 in it that the Shield console and Switch have, but it's more expensive.

It would be nice if there was a 7-8" SD821 or even SD625 tablet out, but the market is barren.

Bums me out. I just want a 7" version of the Pixel XL, but I don't every think it will come. I found myself vaguely considering a Tab S3, but it's too big, 4:3, and Samsung.

I don't use my Pixel C all that often because I really do find it too big and unwieldy most of the time and it's probably going to get sold soon (I also don't like the display on it too, so that hurts a lot of my enjoyment.)

Android tablet market is dying outside of dirt cheap secondary devices like Amazon's Fire tablets. Google seems to be shifting direction to 2-1 Chromebooks that run Android apps.

My Nexus 7 2013 will live forever!

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 16, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

Looking for some options for my grand mother for a tablet. She has a fire tablet right now, but it's too small for her. I believe it's the 7" version. I'm trying to figure out if getting a 10" tablet would be best or some kind of set top+monitor solution.

Couple options I was looking at.
  • Galaxy View for $400 + some kind of mounting option(Can't find any though)
  • Android set top + monitor + monitor arm
  • 10 tablet, probably Fire, + tablet floor stand
  • Something else that I haven't thought of

So I went and purchased the Fire HD 10 with a $50 floor stand, this one specifically. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XXMMKHS/ It has a weighted base, I think all together it weighs ~14 lbs. It can be used in both portrait and landscape, but requires adjustment of the tightening ring on the back. It uses a ball and socket joint for rotation.

The Fire 10 dimensions make the tablet look longer than it's 16:10 aspect ratio. It looks like some kind of 21:9 monitor with the screen turned off. Overall though she loves the tablet and it's easier on her eye sight. The stand definitely allows her to enjoy the tablet more because she doesn't have to hold it all the time to use it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to pick up an inexpensive tablet ($50ish or less) for running Kodi (no flexibility on this), which'd being the only thing I'd use it for. Nothing crazy, almost all of my videos are 720p or lower resolution. Would a 7" Fire (used or new) work for this? Again, only running Kodi.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 17, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'd like to pick up an inexpensive tablet ($50ish or less) for running XBMC (no flexibility on this), which'd being the only thing I'd use it for. Nothing crazy, almost all of my videos are 720p or lower resolution. Would a 7" Fire (used or new) work for this? Again, only running XBMC.

Why XBMC when the project's been dead for 3 years? And are you sure you really want to run it on a tablet?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Why XBMC when the project's been dead for 3 years? And are you sure you really want to run it on a tablet?

Kodi sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'd like to pick up an inexpensive tablet ($50ish or less) for running Kodi (no flexibility on this), which'd being the only thing I'd use it for. Nothing crazy, almost all of my videos are 720p or lower resolution. Would a 7" Fire (used or new) work for this? Again, only running Kodi.

I'd get the 8 inch one it has slightly better hardware for slightly more money but it makes the experience much better