Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

Dale would never vote

Rusty Shackleford would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Anyone who thinks Hank would remotely like Trump has a fundamental misunderstanding of his character and probably doesn't know much about the show other than it being about Texans. Still, a KOTH season now would be interesting. Dealing with the election would probably just break Hank's mind full stop as soon as Trump won the nomination for the Republicans.

Bill would get super into the alt-right though and publicly declare himself an incel. Dale would find himself falling in with a crowd of anti-government anarchists. Boomhauer will have turned out to be a Democrat for the last decade.

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Jan 31, 2017

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Cult 1980s Action Movie Cinematic Universe. Burt Gummer teams up with Chuck Norris and Cynthia Rothrock to fight a shadowy cabal led Malcolm McDowell, Robert Patrick and Lance Henriksen.

This is a concept that I've been wanting for some time now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Patattack posted:

If you had an American team in the 1980s, I reckon it would be fun to fill it out with more obscure or less obvious characters like Lee Stetson and Amanda King, Kassandra from Warlock, Johnny from The Dead Zone and so on, and the "M" character would be Laura Holt acting through Remington Steele.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Patattack posted:

If you want something close, there's a comic crossover between Escape From New York and Big Trouble in Little China just coming to an end now.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Anyone who thinks Hank would remotely like Trump has a fundamental misunderstanding of his character and probably doesn't know much about the show other than it being about Texans. Still, a KOTH season now would be interesting. Dealing with the election would probably just break Hank's mind full stop as soon as Trump won the nomination for the Republicans.

Bill would get super into the alt-right though and publicly declare himself an incel. Dale would find himself falling in with a crowd of anti-government anarchists. Boomhauer will have turned out to be a Democrat for the last decade.

We have to remember that Dale, while being pretty nutty crazy, was progressive in his own way. He was supportive of John Redcorn's attempts to get his land and fine with him being gay. gently caress, he was fine with his own dad being gay!

I doubt Hank would like Trump just based on the fact the man has an ego the size of Texas, he's never wrong, and the second Hank tried to explain propane, Trump would bark about charcoal. Or Trump would put his hands on Luanne, and Hank would have to kick his rear end.

Bill would do whatever Hank told him. IE, Trump might have a wonderful head of hair, but he's a huge jerk.

Cotton would love Trump until the latter insulted veterans or his height. Then game on, you Yankee!

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Patattack posted:

I realize Kurt Russell's character is more instantly recognizable, but Wang Chi was the actual badass in Big Trouble.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

We have to remember that Dale, while being pretty nutty crazy, was progressive in his own way. He was supportive of John Redcorn's attempts to get his land and fine with him being gay. gently caress, he was fine with his own dad being gay!

I doubt Hank would like Trump just based on the fact the man has an ego the size of Texas, he's never wrong, and the second Hank tried to explain propane, Trump would bark about charcoal. Or Trump would put his hands on Luanne, and Hank would have to kick his rear end.

Bill would do whatever Hank told him. IE, Trump might have a wonderful head of hair, but he's a huge jerk.

Cotton would love Trump until the latter insulted veterans or his height. Then game on, you Yankee!

I could totally see this happen, and probably would have if Brittany Murphy was still alive.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I like to imagine an episode that ends with all the guys plus Khan, Cotton, Luanne, Peggy, and everyone else drinking beer and bonding over their distinct reasons for hating the Trump administration.

But analysis is spot on. Hank would have probably been a Kasich or Jeb guy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Hank wouldn't have voted for trump, with tiny hands like that he couldn't give a firm handshake.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Patattack posted:

I'm wondering if Michael Knight should be in that ensemble.
If there was a 90s version the Hoffs character from Batwatch would definitely be in it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

joshtothemaxx posted:

I like to imagine an episode that ends with all the guys plus Khan, Cotton, Luanne, Peggy, and everyone else drinking beer and bonding over their distinct reasons for hating the Trump administration.

I would like that too, as it would mean Brittany Murphy was still alive.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Johnny from The Dead Zone
Now here's a modernized remake waiting to happen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's called Real Life, isn't it?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There is a key aspect missing.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The smell of latex triggers Kyle and reminds him of the old model Terminators. Hence the raw-dogging...

That'd be my excuse anyway.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

smdh at all these casual KotH fans who forgot Cotton died in the show.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

ultrabindu posted:

I'm wondering if Michael Knight should be in that ensemble.
If there was a 90s version the Hoffs character from Batwatch would definitely be in it.

I think this is as close as it got.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Who is that woman on the left next to Edward Scissorhands? Is that supposed to be Sarah Bailey or
Nancy Downs from The Craft?

Also my IIMM is how much of that photo is more 80's references than 90's.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tenchi Muyo gets me wet posted:

The photos are of the previous generation. That's why the 80s one has 70s icons in the photos.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My irrationally irritating moment about that picture is the Pokeball. I'm aware Pokemon came out in 96 but the number of people here in the US that go "I started playing Pokemon with Red/Blue in 96" forgetting we didn't get the games until 98 is irrationally irritating.

And I know these people. They aren't capable of running an emulator or reading Japanese in 2017 they certainly weren't 20 years ago.

:goonsay:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Alaois posted:

smdh at all these casual KotH fans who forgot Cotton died in the show.

You know a crazy bastard like Cotton would figure out how to leave assassination instructions behind in case a fascist took over the US.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tenchi Muyo gets me wet posted:

Who is that woman on the left next to Edward Scissorhands? Is that supposed to be Sarah Bailey or
Nancy Downs from The Craft?

My first thought was actually Winona Ryder in Beetlejuice but that's completely wrong. :v:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Phanatic posted:

The photos are of the previous generation. That's why the 80s one has 70s icons in the photos.
My IIMM for that image has always been the conspicuous lack of Martin Brody on the 70s wall. You could have even used him to tie in to the 1930s US League in the obvious way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's Fairuza Balk from The Craft.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

10 Beers posted:

I thought Rufus was Ringo Starr at first and was thinking "Mr. Conductor?" But either way that's George Carlin.

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013
Dale would get really attached the word c-uck and it would make the guys all shift nervously.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I would love a cabin in the woods type series involving Burt Gummer murdering and taxiderming various cryptids. Vampire Bigfoots, Fijian Mermaids, Xenomorphs, etc.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Panfilo posted:

I would love a cabin in the woods type series involving Burt Gummer murdering and taxiderming various cryptids. Vampire Bigfoots, Fijian Mermaids, Xenomorphs, etc.

Only if they reverse the order of things and it's the monsters who are terrified of Burt.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Oh cool nerd fanfiction.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Is there any other kind of fanfiction?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Panfilo posted:

This already existed.

Piell posted:

How about a TV show? Only some of the episodes were graboid related.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

10 Beers posted:

Ok this is my jam.
I'm thinking the 80s team should definitely have Bert Gummer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ultrabindu posted:

Ok this is my jam.
I'm thinking the 80s team should definitely have Bert Gummer.

Tremors came out in 90

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
oh well can't win 'em all

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

There was a front page article about basically exactly this a week or so ago and it made me depressed at how feasible it sounded.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Look man it isn't Burts fault that graboids keep changing. Dude tries so hard but then they become flightless bird looking things and then they become rocket propelled things and then whatever the gently caress was up with Queen Bitch.

He did pretty well against Shriekers even when he was caught unprepared, though.

Burt fought off giant lizard beasts with his goddamned hands.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Feb 2, 2017

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Tremors is good because the characters meaningfully engaged with the premise. The monsters weren't just invincible until killed via deus ex machina. The characters had to figure things out and sometimes a monster just hosed up and got shot to death. The sequels feature an escalation because the characters actually succeeded in understanding the threat and people know how to beat it. The graboids are just dangerous animals and you need precautions for for dealing with them. Kind of like the first Terminator and Alien sequels which are more action oriented because the characters are prepared but the threat is bigger than expected.

My irritating movie moment is all of the Jurassic Park sequels. The original lays out an entire chain of failure that leads to a disaster. The sequels just have idiots dying to the same dumb animals because contrived events occur, like the Jaws sequels.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bar Crow posted:

Tremors is good because the characters meaningfully engaged with the premise. The monsters weren't just invincible until killed via deus ex machina. The characters had to figure things out and sometimes a monster just hosed up and got shot to death. The sequels feature an escalation because the characters actually succeeded in understanding the threat and people know how to beat it. The graboids are just dangerous animals and you need precautions for for dealing with them. Kind of like the first Terminator and Alien sequels which are more action oriented because the characters are prepared but the threat is bigger than expected.

My irritating movie moment is all of the Jurassic Park sequels. The original lays out an entire chain of failure that leads to a disaster. The sequels just have idiots dying to the same dumb animals because contrived events occur, like the Jaws sequels.

It's been too long since I've seen The Lost World, but JP3's premise seemed pretty okay? It was basically that some rich idiots ended up at Site B or whatever that island was called after InGen pulled up stakes and moved out.

Jurassic World, now there's a movie with a loving weak premise. I still can't understand how that triceratops shitpile of a movie got so much praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jurassic world was extremely thematically coherent, which you don't see in every Hollywood Blockbuster

The theme was "we have a lot of glitz and sparkle but ultimately lack jurassic park's heart"