Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yes the contrast here is clearly by accident. The gentle purple-gold below, a harsh chunky white-and-red war machine above, the first shot in the movie clearly says nothing about war at the heart of "utopia".

A seductive light show, cool waters and again gentle purples and blues, but look at who's sitting where. Anakin is at the center, and seated at his right hand is the Devil, telling him sweet, tempting half-truths. There is nobody on the other side.

Contrast between dingy, grey machinery and the sharp light of the displays behind. Already signs of violence, but the tin soldiers are holding in the background, making way for the main players. Grievous still occupies the position of power (center right), but Obi-Wan's getting up in his personal space.

Apocalypse in the background, a cool rational light space behind Obi-Wan, but they're both lit by the inferno. Anakin not only occupies the center-right but looms larger thanks to the perspective. This is not, at the moment, a meeting of equals. Anakin's at a high, Obi-Wan's trying to tempt him back to sanity.

Vaseline lighting? All the outlines and the textures are perfectly clear.

What is it with Star Wars Prequel screencaps that bring out the exact same writing style in defense of them, no matter where you are? It always sounds like grasping at straws, a conspiracy theory view that you KNOW the truth that no one else does, and you pull together tenuous evidence to support the views.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My issue with the prequels is they look so lovely in motion. You can get great screen caps but the active mis en scene is atrocious.

Also this, the mis en scene is so clunky and sterile, there's no life at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

God that's ugly.

Yeah I hate art deco Golden Age pulp stuff too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Death By The Blues posted:

What was your favourite terrible product tie in with the Prequels?

Doritos 3D the way to gooooooo

That Darth Maul Mountain Dew. Oh man, we used to fight over those things as a kid at my school. If you didn't have the Maul, you sucked.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What is it with Star Wars Prequel screencaps that bring out the exact same writing style in defense of them, no matter where you are? It always sounds like grasping at straws, a conspiracy theory view that you KNOW the truth that no one else does, and you pull together tenuous evidence to support the views.

This isn't a conspiracy theory, it's "here are where things are in the shot and how the colors are put together." This is all on-screen stuff. That's how criticism works.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

X-Ray Pecs posted:

SHIELD YOUR EYES, CHILDREN! HE MAY TAKE ON DIFFERENT FORMS!

This really made me laugh.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

For some reason, I have this little guy in my room. When you pull his arms up, his tongue sticks out. I genuinely have no idea when, where, or how I got this, or why I have a Jar Jar Binks for that matter.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I too love the endless gray seas of Art Deco

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Toebone posted:

I too love the endless gray seas of Art Deco

Yeah old movies never had scenes where everything was heavily fogged over for effect

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ooh, anyone remember the Commtech thing where you take the little computer chips and put them on that giant walkie-talkie thing and it played really garbled sound bites?

I have no idea why I thought that was cool. The chips were kinda neat though. I used them for playing spy or something with my friends. We'd infiltrate secret bases to steal the secrets of what Jar Jar Binks had to say.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Maxwell Lord posted:

lmao

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'm glad some people like the prequels but the level of passion seems higher than I would expect.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah old movies never had scenes where everything was heavily fogged over for effect

I haven't watched any of the prequels since they were in theaters so maybe that's just bad GIF compression, but there's no contrast in that scene, everything is the same bland gray, or sometimes a slightly darker gray.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

I'm glad some people like the prequels but the level of passion seems higher than I would expect.

It's the "one of the ugliest films I've ever seen" bit that just baffled me. I don't hate the MCU movies but there are a lot of just bland shots in a lot of 'em, there's a lot of stuff in ROTJ that's pretty flat (though also some good shots so it's inconsistent), you have Jurassic World's "let's make everything kinda blue for no good reason" approach, and that's before we start getting into something like Frankenstein Island or Angry Red Planet.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toebone posted:

I haven't watched any of the prequels since they were in theaters so maybe that's just bad GIF compression, but there's no contrast in that scene, everything is the same bland gray, or sometimes a slightly darker gray.

It's a very grey scene, but the color palette limitations of GIFs really hurt the contrast you get within the greys. I posted it because you still get to see all the neat transitions between the subject of the shot with only one cut in the middle, making for what I find to be a nice series of compositions.

Below is a full-color full-resolution picture of what the scene looks like.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is pure retro sci-fi illustrations.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

CelticPredator posted:

all Star Wars should look like this

:smug:

jesus christ my fuckin eyes

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

This is pure retro sci-fi illustrations.

I actually think that's one of the better sequences in the prequels. That shot right there looks like something off the cover of a paperback.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hbomberguy posted:

jesus christ my fuckin eyes

Can you hear the house music in that shot?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Genre is not an indicator of quality.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHLJfxfXHBg

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

My problem with the prequels, and I know this is like the worst thing to say in the Star Wars thread, but every shot just feels so boring. It's why I can't get 100% behind completely green screened films. It's totally a preference thing, because I can't quite imagine lining up a shot in a completely green environment, and wait for the CGI/Composite artists to fill that in.

It's probably why every dramatic shot is a dull slow zoom in, and not a neat dolly track or something. it just feels so sterile and bland. Like yeah, they could add pretty poo poo in the background...but that doesn't really excite me when it comes to shots. And I could totally forgive the films looking so ugly had the characters been good...but uh....

No that's because the movie is intended to look like an update of 30s-40s serials. I know you saw a Sam Raimi movie at age 3 and now you can only reach climax when a camera op has a seizure but it's not the only way to make a movie look good. And love Raimi like he was my uncle or something

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

No that's because the movie is intended to look like an update of 30s-40s serials. I know you saw a Sam Raimi movie at age 3 and now you can only reach climax when a camera op has a seizure but it's not the only way to make a movie look good. And love Raimi like he was my uncle or something

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I thought this was about how Naboo spaceships, like the one we were just looking at, are called "Nubian" ships. From watching the movies, this is because george lucas is a hack and though that Naboo things could be called "Nubian" since "Nabooian" is really awkward. But of course, Wookieepedia has a whole explanation for how the people of Naboo went to the planet Nubia, where the Nubian were master ship builders.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snak posted:

I thought this was about how Naboo spaceships, like the one we were just looking at, are called "Nubian" ships. From watching the movies, this is because george lucas is a hack and though that Naboo things could be called "Nubian" since "Nabooian" is really awkward. But of course, Wookieepedia has a whole explanation for how the people of Naboo went to the planet Nubia, where the Nubian were master ship builders.

Shoulda just called them Naboonic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snak posted:

Are you from Glasgow?
Aye.
So that would make you
A Glaswegian, aye.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It did give us this memorable commercial though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpxu7hMZB7k&t=8s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DeimosRising posted:

No that's because the movie is intended to look like an update of 30s-40s serials. I know you saw a Sam Raimi movie at age 3 and now you can only reach climax when a camera op has a seizure but it's not the only way to make a movie look good.

it is actually

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This is the best thing I've heard this year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVcAyEMM4Cc

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

haha.

pro fuckin click.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

The whole album is gold, but I can't get enough of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBmoQSHfO2U

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How did Pushing Tin get made? It's not terrible or anything like that, but what studio head said "let's make a movie with John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton as feuding air traffic controllers"?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

How did Pushing Tin get made? It's not terrible or anything like that, but what studio head said "let's make a movie with John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton as feuding air traffic controllers"?

Maybe a studio head's father was an air traffic controller and he was working through some daddy issues. Only possible explanation I can think of.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I had this terrible nightmare that the "The prequels are good, actually" pod people were posting in this thread.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
*points and slowly opens mouth over a terrible fake cgi composite background*

Looks like we will be in your neck of the woods Lurdiak somewhere called Brossard?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

*points and slowly opens mouth over a terrible fake cgi composite background*

Looks like we will be in your neck of the woods Lurdiak somewhere called Brossard?

*looking 3 feet to the left of Death By The Blues because we weren't in the same room when we filmed this scene*

Then you gotta try to hit Le Shogun. You'll probably need a reservation to be seated but you don't need to get it too far in advance or anything.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Come party with us forever and ever

Thank you for the recommendation.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yo, Shaun and Jen strikes again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9qiCN7CcB8

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours