Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I got to ride a a cool bike the other day so I took pictures.

Do those signs want you to go 35 km/h thru there? That's rear end-crawlingly slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
5 holes on the right side fairings and only one is a NACA duct. Why make just one like that?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

Do those signs want you to go 35 km/h thru there? That's rear end-crawlingly slow.

It's a very tight corner, pretty much a hairpin and it's totally blind. Plus it's NZ, they want you to go punishingly slow all the time everywhere and most people do. That road even has one marked 25.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

5 holes on the right side fairings and only one is a NACA duct. Why make just one like that?

I too questioned this until I took it apart and discovered that duct points straight at the RR.

I didn't like these bikes until I rode one and worked on one and found out they're A. nothing like a monster (which are poo poo IMO) and B. incredibly simple and elegant down to the finest detail compared to the train wreck of modern sportsbike designs.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It's a very tight corner, pretty much a hairpin and it's totally blind. Plus it's NZ, they want you to go punishingly slow all the time everywhere and most people do. That road even has one marked 25.

Ok that makes sense. But 25 kmh?? I wish you could take a drive over Blood Mountain in Georgia. I think it would disorient you a little because the numbers on the signs would be the same and you would have to remind yourself that they mean mph instead of kmh. For a lot of slow turns we're more than happy to let you come through at 55 kmh (around 35 mph).

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Ola posted:

Custom bikes are merging with high end fashion. That bike is the equivalent of this:

Energica is the bike maker that has put together, as far as I can tell, the best production electric powertrain so far. Unfortunately, instead of going for a practical allround layout like Zero, they went for:

I just want a good electric bike. :sigh:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Interesting choice of words; someone at KTM US must be a Greendale fan.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
That new 390 is so :shobon:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

Ok that makes sense. But 25 kmh?? I wish you could take a drive over Blood Mountain in Georgia. I think it would disorient you a little because the numbers on the signs would be the same and you would have to remind yourself that they mean mph instead of kmh. For a lot of slow turns we're more than happy to let you come through at 55 kmh (around 35 mph).

I just want to see what a properly paved twisty road is like tbh cause around my neck of the woods sporty bikes are almost useless thanks to all the bumps, moss and flaked away pavement.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

Interesting choice of words; someone at KTM US must be a Greendale fan.

This is awesome!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao

https://instagram.com/p/BP2NJmIAjFD/

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Could it be aesthetics or a genuinely engineering balance of aero and cooling performance? I'd bet the the fairing structure is a factor considering how close it is to the seam.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

eBay calipers strike again?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Coredump posted:

I don't know how things work over there, but in Australia (NSW anyway) the advisory signs on corners are the speed at which you have 7 seconds of vision through the turn, IIRC. The Royal National Park in Sydney is a popular riding/driving road and features a 15km/h signposted double apex corner which used to have multiple massive signs warning you of it, and it has caught many drivers off-guard and eaten many cars for breakfast.

Are your advisory signs just arbitrary?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

What's your problem with that pic, frando?

Coredump posted:

Slavvy posted:

I just want to see what a properly paved twisty road is like tbh cause around my neck of the woods sporty bikes are almost useless thanks to all the bumps, moss and flaked away pavement.

Properly paved, sure, we got that. But Blood Mountain has banked corners and passing lanes. And there is still a corner that I've only properly nailed once. Coincidentally it's the one with all the distracting little crosses...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Properly paved, sure, we got that. But Blood Mountain has banked corners and passing lanes. And there is still a corner that I've only properly nailed once. Coincidentally it's the one with all the distracting little crosses...

I can think of one twisty mountainous road within 500km of me that has both of those things. It's also the only road that goes north out of auckland so it's crawling 100% of the time. Having said that I got super duper lucky once coming back down on my ZX10 and those smoothly paved radii left-right-left-rights are loving magical when you aren't constantly worrying about hitting a hole and losing the front.

Distracting little crosses though, I've got those in bulk.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I don't know how things work over there, but in Australia (NSW anyway) the advisory signs on corners are the speed at which you have 7 seconds of vision through the turn, IIRC. The Royal National Park in Sydney is a popular riding/driving road and features a 15km/h signposted double apex corner which used to have multiple massive signs warning you of it, and it has caught many drivers off-guard and eaten many cars for breakfast.

It's blowing my mind that anyone would put that much thought into it. The UK sure doesn't, and the only corner speed advisories I've ever seen are generally 40mph (down from 50-70) in open sweeping turns that are slightly tighter than they look, to mitigate the chance of a lorry or bus misjudging it and flipping over.

The closest thing we have to speed advisories for the purpose of informing the driver that there's a low visibility turn coming up is this:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Didn't see this, fascinating stuff! Our advisory signs have no bearing on visibility time, they seem to be based entirely on what speed a 1972 holden kingswood could manage without flipping over.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Hmmm, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, actually - I'm having a hard time finding any document to back my statement up, but it's certainly what my class was told at either our Pre-Learner or Pre-Provisional course...

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

They're completely arbitrary and dumb in Victoria. One of my favourite roads has a couple marked at 30kmh where it means it due to diminishing radius or being off-camber. Yet some are marked the same with a clear sight line which can be taken at the 100kmh speed limit of the road.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Advisory signs? Like when a turn comes up? Like, corners? You guys have all the cool stuff. :(

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Fanelien posted:

They're completely arbitrary and dumb in Victoria. One of my favourite roads has a couple marked at 30kmh where it means it due to diminishing radius or being off-camber. Yet some are marked the same with a clear sight line which can be taken at the 100kmh speed limit of the road.

I find the advisory signs in Victoria to be generally consistent per stretch of road, but wildly inconsistent across the state as a whole. When riding from the Melbourne to the alps I have to remind myself that 30km/h advisories get more realistic further into mountain country.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

prukinski posted:

I find the advisory signs in Victoria to be generally consistent per stretch of road, but wildly inconsistent across the state as a whole. When riding from the Melbourne to the alps I have to remind myself that 30km/h advisories get more realistic further into mountain country.

Some really popular routes like the reefton spur are really well signed, advisories are fairly reasonable and at least consistent. However lesser used roads like Gembrook-Launching Place road are a bit strange. Two 30kmh hairpins one after the other, one is easily taken at 60 the other is off camber and can be hairy if you can't stay close to the centre line.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

Judging by the guy's profile pic, that's on a scooter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The US actually has a reasonably sane method for calculating those road sign suggested speeds - if you see one that's marked as 25, it's likely a tight but constant radius corner, if you see one marked as 20, it's probably decreasing radius, and if you see one marked 15, it's some sort of nutso hairpin (or has another road intersecting it midway through the corner). The speeds themselves don't mean much, but what you can infer about the road from them can be useful.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

The US actually has a reasonably sane method for calculating those road sign suggested speeds - if you see one that's marked as 25, it's likely a tight but constant radius corner, if you see one marked as 20, it's probably decreasing radius, and if you see one marked 15, it's some sort of nutso hairpin (or has another road intersecting it midway through the corner). The speeds themselves don't mean much, but what you can infer about the road from them can be useful.

Coydog correct me if I'm wrong but Blood Mountain has some pretty serious hairpins that double back on themselves, although the radius is medium. However I think the speed stays around 35 mph? A 15 mph speed limit sign I only see in school zones or in the middle of a downtown area where there are pedestrians all over.

Edit: Ok I went and looked and at least for Richard Russell Scenic Hwy the limit is 35 mph (56 kmh) with advisory signs for the corners down in 20 mph to 25 mph. But those aren't limits either, you can breeze through at 35 if you wanted and stay legal.

For how these are determined, lol tl;dr http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/speedmgt/ref_mats/fhwasa12004/

Coredump fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 31, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

I got to ride a a cool bike the other day so I took pictures.

:flashfap:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deeters posted:

Judging by the guy's profile pic, that's on a scooter.

I'm fine with big brakes on a scooter, it's the brembo font and the Chinese "yeah that looks close enough to keep us out of court" copy of a brembo caliper and logo that is hilarious

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
That Lotus concept got another re-color and now it's a Koenigsegggggggg

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's super easy to change color palettes in 3ds Max

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm the fake exhaust that houses the tail light

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slim Pickens posted:

I'm the fake exhaust that houses the tail light

You're ugly as gently caress and a bad idea.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Chichevache posted:

You're ugly as gently caress and a bad idea.

Yeah, the exhaust should house the gas tank.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I really can't stand this trend of super tiny seats and chopped off tails. I like the look of that Lotus concept a lot from the front end right up to where the orange ends. Then it looks like they just forgot to build the rest of the bike. What the gently caress.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I really can't stand this trend of bikes that aren't even loving real.

Fixed.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

Yeah, the exhaust should house the gas tank.

Somewhere, erik buell is furiously sketching this very design.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Concepts are fine -- the designs have to come from somewhere. But the super tiny hacked off tails that you see on basically every concept today and every non-Harley custom? blech.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

High back full leather seat. Akira biek best biek.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
So, literally the NM4.

Did not realize they were so cheap, either.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Honda-Other-/232223161723?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3611943d7b:g:tQIAAOSw4DJYj8PZ&item=232223161723

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That's a funny way to spell Silverwing.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dog Case posted:

That Lotus concept got another re-color and now it's a Koenigsegggggggg

This looks like an electric razor or a milk frother or some stupid poo poo like that.