Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

nweismuller posted:

Two systems can let us claim the four closest systems in the Core, with information as of 2620.

And three systems (Tantalus, Saltator and Primodius) will secure those plus Orion, so those three oughta be top priority colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Xenocides posted:

Better tech. If you go up the tech tree evenly then I usually start considering it about the time I get battleship tech but you need a pretty large fleet to take it. If you get to the top of the tech tree a single doomstar works.

If you can build Doom Stars, you don't really need Orion anymore. It's the usual bonus boss issue: you need to be strong enough that you can pull it off, but if you wait too long, the reward is pointless because you already have better stuff, or at least the scale of upgrade is far less significant.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I Put forth the motion to build AS MANY SHIPS as we need to zerg the battleship and take orion.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Siegkrow posted:

I Put forth the motion to build AS MANY SHIPS as we need to zerg the battleship and take orion.

Since the Bauer doctrine helps us do this better, does this count as your vote for it? :v:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

MechaCrash posted:

If you can build Doom Stars, you don't really need Orion anymore. It's the usual bonus boss issue: you need to be strong enough that you can pull it off, but if you wait too long, the reward is pointless because you already have better stuff, or at least the scale of upgrade is far less significant.

It still helps a bit. Death Rays and Xenotronium armor are still a boost but the advantage is obviously not as high as getting them earlier.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Siegkrow posted:

I don't think we have the command points to put together a big enough zerg fleet yet. I got the achievement for taking Orion by Turn 150 but that took putting everything into prepping for it from the beginning and I am pretty sure Nweiss is playing on a longer game setting where tech advances come more slowly.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
I have been dithering slightly with processing all the images I need for the update, but, in the interim: enjoy this, courtesy of Human, Psilon, Meklar, and Mrrshan explorers, and current as of 2640:

Also worth noting is that Knaaa, rimward of the Klackon border, used to be a Klackon system until the star went nova, destroying all planets in the system.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 1, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I hereby dub the residents of the opposite side of the galaxy "Far-Quads"

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Looks like it may be a viable option to just let the Meklar take care of the Darloks for us.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Does anybody else think we should change the name of our republic? "Human Republic" was pretty inclusive back when we started as a pan-Earth thing, but given the discovery of a galactic community of multiple species and the incorporation of an entire xeno civilisation into our nation, it seems rather... ethnocentric, I guess.

United Republic is a bland but inoffensive name - it even separates us from the rest of the civilisations in the galaxy, seeing as how we're the only multispecies faction.

Freudian fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 1, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Fair point. 'Human Hegemony'? 'Human Dominion'? 'Human Commonwealth'? The Vae Victis Republic?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

The Anthropic Subjugation?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Democratic Sentients' Alliance of Free Republics :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Freudian posted:

The Anthropic Subjugation?

If you want to be both clever and really mean, call it The Anthropic Shadow. :v:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
The Relentless Blob.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Friend Commuter posted:

The Relentless Blob.

The Maw? Kirby?

This pink text looks new, Friend Computer...

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The Maw? Kirby?

This pink text looks new, Friend Computer...

I've had it since about 2010, you might be confusing me with someone else.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Friend Commuter posted:

I've had it since about 2010, you might be confusing me with someone else.

I must be! I usually read this LP on the awful app, after all.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I must be! I usually read this LP on the awful app, after all.

For one, he's friend comMuter, not comPuter. :v:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

my dad posted:

For one, he's friend comMuter, not comPuter. :v:

For some reason, I thought he was a fellow glorious namechange thread gambler.

And Friend Computer is real, and powerful, and my friend. As long as I don't touch anything marked above infrared.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

For some reason, I thought he was a fellow glorious namechange thread gambler.

And Friend Computer is real, and powerful, and my friend. As long as I don't touch anything marked above infrared.

Absolutely correct, citizen. You can trust the computer.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I've just been calling it "The Republic." (Some (Most?)) Bulrathi have had the vote for many years now.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
République. And we use metric.

Having the species name in the polity name is awkward, but it helps remember who the various alien factions are. Shorthand like that is necessary for players who can't or don't memorize fluff in 4X games.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly though, if we do want to be human-centric while being as inclusive as possible, why not something like The Solar Concord, or The Solar Union? Make it obvious that while political matters are obviously centered on Sol, it's not all about Humans?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
How independent are the colonies?

I like the name "Federated Union", mostly because I want to go to a political rally and patriotically shout F U !

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Nevets posted:

How independent are the colonies?

I like the name "Federated Union", mostly because I want to go to a political rally and patriotically shout F U !

I give you the brief overview of the Republic from the beginning of the game- it specifically deals with the level of independence of Republic member states: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792079&pagenumber=5#post464951306

A bunch of Bulrathi territory is still under military administration, but that's been beginning to change.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
You should aim to unify all mammals under one banner and they go onto purge the xeno scum. Call it the Mammalian Ascendancy.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Tiger Crazy posted:

You should aim to unify all mammals under one banner and they go onto purge the xeno scum. Call it the Mammalian Ascendancy.

I prefer Pax Humanica myself...

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Hitler Did Nothing Wrong Clubhouse.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Stephen9001 posted:

Isn't that the end of the actual MoO II story? Humans are ascendant and become decadent overseers of the galaxy?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Let's please try to rein in the Maximum Hitler tendencies of goons, shall we? I don't play Maximum Hitler- I'm not comfortable with it.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Isn't that the end of the actual MoO II story? Humans are ascendant and become decadent overseers of the galaxy?

No, that's the backstory of MoO3, which is unrelated to any actual events of MoO or MoO2. (Hint: trying to portray events of MoO2 as a direct 'sequel' to MoO won't make a lot of sense; they're basically two different portrayals of the same general events.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stephen9001 posted:

I agree.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
The Greater Solar Republic. Because ultimately, we're still centered around Sol, so.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Formal motion in the Senate and Popular Assembly to rename the 'Human Republic' to the 'Solar Republic'. Please vote yea or nay.

Variants of the motion propose prefixing the 'Solar Republic' with the adjectives 'Free' or 'United'. Please vote for no prefix, Free, or United.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

Formal motion in the Senate and Popular Assembly to rename the 'Human Republic' to the 'Solar Republic'. Please vote yea or nay.

Variants of the motion propose prefixing the 'Solar Republic' with the adjectives 'Free' or 'United'. Please vote for no prefix, Free, or United.

Yay to the Free Solar Republic.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Greater Galactic Republic

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Free Solar Republic

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Lesser Galactic Rebublic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011