Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sehvekah
Mar 14, 2010

I am not a clever pony
Looking to pick up a pair of KZ ZST IEMs soon, but having never bought something with a replaceable cord, I've a few questions.

First off, it seems there's only two main types of replacement cords for IEMs, the two-pin type used by the ZST(and a number of other brands), and the round MMCX connectors that appear to be more popular.
I would assume that, aside from odd choices in mold design, almost all two-pin cords should work with the ZSTs, or is this too far off the mark?
Also, is there a name/standard for the two-pin connector that makes the cords easier to search for, or is it mostly down to check each product and zoom in to see if it has pins?
Am I screwing myself going with two-pin over MMCX, or is there, as I'm guessing, minimal difference aside from somewhat more(and potentially cheaper) choices available in one over the other?

And are there any other recommended hybrid(BA+DD) IEMs in this price range(around $15-$35 USD) that also feature replaceable cords? While I'm an unrepentant bass-head, and love my KZ ATE-S for their lows and fantastic isolation, I'd like to try some new things, and just maybe expand my tastes a little. If it makes any difference at this price range, I'll be driving them off my phone, will be using them mostly while commuting/at work, and I can always improve isolation by poping some foam tips on backwards if need be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You can look up "eidolic iem cables" and get hits but to be honest just search for two-pin iem cable. They *should* be compatible as it's an industry standard connection but you may get better results asking on one of the dedicated Chinese or KZ IEM threads on Head-fi. I'm not sure how prevalent cheap two pin cables are.

As for another hybrid in your price range, the Urbanfun Hifi's immediately spring to mind. As far as I know they're bassier than the ZST but I wouldn't call them basshead 'phones by a long shot. I have the Urbanfun's but not the ZST to compare.

grack fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 26, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The ZST does not use any kind of standard cable. KZ's removable cables aren't even compatible across different KZ models.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I stand corrected and good work KZ

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is there a thread consensus for wireless (Bluetooth) around ear noise isolating headphones? Waiting on the beatsx for iems but if there is a decent set of wireless cans I can wear while at work I'm interested.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I bought the Sony mdr1000x and I'm in love w them

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

emdash posted:

I bought the Sony mdr1000x and I'm in love w them

That was a pair I was considering, are they fairly bulky? The tap controls look pretty neat too.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The touch controls work well. They are a bit heavy and may require some expanding if you got a big ol head and don't like a sturdy clamp. I would not say they are bulky compared to hd600/k712 but they are unapologetically circumaural for sure

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice, I wonder if Best Buy has a pair I can try on for the fit, sadly all the Sony stores around here shut down.

The Bose Quietcomfort 35 was another one in the similar range I was going to try to check out.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Check out the new sennheiser pxc 550 too

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Constellation I posted:

Yeah, keep in mind I'm basing this off of the following:

I own the original AD700 (the ugly purple ones). The pads on that thing was perfect, they were thick, velour and slightly angled.

I saw a good deal on the AD900X a couple of years ago and got it because I wanted less ugly headphones and hey I'm going up a model so it's gotta sound a little better right? When they arrived, I was pretty disappointed that the earpads were some sort of scratchy cloth material and it was a lot thinner. The clamp was tighter and the air wings were hollow and a lot less padding on them.

I'm assuming your AD700X's are pretty much the same thing with different drivers. I looked on Amazon and this guy's pictures do a decent job in showing the differences. https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RHJFT1SGEDWI6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B009S331VU

Anyway, these are the ones I got and they're pretty good. They're thicker than the stock ones for sure. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thick-Velour-Ear-Pads-Cushion-ATH-AD-1000-X-2000-X-900-X-700-X-Headphones-/251699464310?var=&hash=item8032df84e7

These look more like the original AD700 earpads that I like, but I can't vouch for them since I never tried it. Not sure if they'd fit on the X's either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velour-Velvet-Replacement-Cushion-ATH-AD700-AD900-AD400-AD-700-900-Headphone-/251398544394?var=&hash=item8021c2fc61

E: Re:Followup on this one, after a little more time with the replacement pads I think I actually like them less than the stock ones. :shrug:

I swapped the originals back on and I'm debating if I want to keep these or try yet another pair of headphones. I'm looking at something with non-fabric cups that are fairly deep, like maybe the CB-1s?

At least I'm learning a lot through all of this, about what is or isn't important to me in a decent pair of headphones. And it turns out my ears stick out a lot and are very sensitive to irritation.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 27, 2017

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
You can try the Brainwavz HM5 pads, they come in a variety of materials. Sounds like leather is better for you. But I dunno, the depth of the HM5 pads and those ones are about the same. Most headphones don't really come with super deep ear pads, you'd have to get replacement ones like Mr. Speakers alpha pads or something.

EDIT: I forgot how deep CB-1 pads look. Yeah, those might work for you, they look almost as thick as Mr Speakers Alpha Pads from screenshots online.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

Check out the new sennheiser pxc 550 too

Very good, I am on the lookout for that one too.. All 3 seem to get good reviews (QC35, MDR-1000X and PCX 550) so at this point it is if I can spot one on a decent sale.. In Canada so probably unlikely.

The Sennheiser has the slight edge just because I have had several pairs of senns that I really enjoy, my current pair at home is the HD598.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Staples just about always has a full line of Bose headphones in testing displays. Best Buy or The Source might have something similar for the Sonys.

Sehvekah
Mar 14, 2010

I am not a clever pony

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The ZST does not use any kind of standard cable. KZ's removable cables aren't even compatible across different KZ models.

Wow. I mean, I expected this was a possibility, but still.

grack posted:

As for another hybrid in your price range, the Urbanfun Hifi's immediately spring to mind. As far as I know they're bassier than the ZST but I wouldn't call them basshead 'phones by a long shot. I have the Urbanfun's but not the ZST to compare.

Thanks, I think I'll get those for now, and move the ZSTs to "If I've still got some cash". Shame, was really willing to give 'em a shot with how much I love my current set of KZ buds, but them's the breaks when ya go for the Chi-Fi option.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Constellation I posted:

You can try the Brainwavz HM5 pads, they come in a variety of materials. Sounds like leather is better for you. But I dunno, the depth of the HM5 pads and those ones are about the same. Most headphones don't really come with super deep ear pads, you'd have to get replacement ones like Mr. Speakers alpha pads or something.

EDIT: I forgot how deep CB-1 pads look. Yeah, those might work for you, they look almost as thick as Mr Speakers Alpha Pads from screenshots online.

Yeah see my previous headphones were NVX XPT100's, which were rebranded/clone of Brainwavz HM5s. So something up that alley might work best. Sounds like the CB-1s have a good return policy and there's a 15% off coupon so maybe I'll pick them up and try them out and return whichever one I don't like better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

priznat posted:

Nice, I wonder if Best Buy has a pair I can try on for the fit, sadly all the Sony stores around here shut down.

The Bose Quietcomfort 35 was another one in the similar range I was going to try to check out.
The Best Buy near me has them to try on and listen to.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

priznat posted:

Is there a thread consensus for wireless (Bluetooth) around ear noise isolating headphones? Waiting on the beatsx for iems but if there is a decent set of wireless cans I can wear while at work I'm interested.

I recently went from a pair of sony mdr-10rbts to a pair of the original parrot ziks and I couldn't be happier. They are on the heavier side but they isolate pretty well even without nc on and you can listen to them using bluetooth while charging which is a major plus. The sound is very much on the warm&sweet side after adjusting through the app, but it's very pleasant, accurate enough I'm finding new instruments in old music, and just an overall joy to use. They can be snatched up on amazon for 100 which is a steal considering the technology crammed into these things.

In passive mode using just a cable they sound kinda lovely and hollow though.

I'd recommend them whole-heartedly if you aren't the kind of person to be annoyed at having a cable attached for an hour to recharge them most of the way through the work day.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

^ I'll have to look for a pair to try out!

I did try out the MDR-1000X and the QC35s at bestbuy today, and they were both pretty nice but I definitely liked the Sonys more, sound quality wise. The touch controls and being able to cup your ear to fade out the music and hear someone talking to you was very neat too.

Gonna keep an eye on a sale to get one for less than the $500CAD they are new, though.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
My girlfriend suffers from chronic headaches and external noise can make her miserable sometimes. After some discussion I'd like to get her something sound isolating so she can just put them on and listen to music if she desires.

This is a bit of a challenge as anything putting pressure on the top of her head makes the headaches worse so I'm wondering if anyone is aware of headphones designed to not rest on the top of the head which are noise isolating. The old school cans that basically squeeze your head are probably out of the question due to pressure. She's tried on my MDR-V6 pair and doesn't like how they rest on her head.

If that doesn't exist, earphones/IEMs are fine so the question then becomes what should I get for her? I have SE215s which she doesn't like due to how they attach so that style isn't an option.

She isn't an audiophile or anything so half decent drivers are fine as long as they can just kill external sound.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If your girlfriend can't handle pressure on the top of her head circum- and supra-aurals with good isolation are going to be very difficult to find. I'd suggest IEMs.

Etymotic MK5s come to mind almost immediately. Stick a pair of Shure olive foamies on them and they'll give you some of the best isolation on the market.

I'm also a fan of the Samsung HS530, which are a single BA like the Etymotics, but have more bass. The tips that come with the Samsung completely blow though, so you'll have to replace them if you want good isolation. Shure olives will also work well here. I have very much the same issue with migraines and noise and these Samsungs are the ones I use when I need super good isolation.

grack fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 31, 2017

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

I heard some Shure SRH1540s and thought they were pretty great.
What else should I be considering instead? Closed backs for work.

Nobody has any thoughts on this??

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

grack posted:

If your girlfriend can't handle pressure on the top of her head circum- and supra-aurals with good isolation are going to be very difficult to find. I'd suggest IEMs.

Etymotic MK5s come to mind almost immediately. Stick a pair of Shure olive foamies on them and they'll give you some of the best isolation on the market.

I'm also a fan of the Samsung HS530, which are a single BA like the Etymotics, but have more bass. The tips that come with the Samsung completely blow though, so you'll have to replace them if you want good isolation. Shure olives will also work well here. I have very much the same issue with migraines and noise and these Samsungs are the ones I use when I need super good isolation.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look at the MK5. Someone suggested Bose QC25 to me, any thoughts on headphones of that style? I know people like to poo poo on Bose but if they're super comfy and noise cancelling I'm tempted.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ashex posted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll look at the MK5. Someone suggested Bose QC25 to me, any thoughts on headphones of that style? I know people like to poo poo on Bose but if they're super comfy and noise cancelling I'm tempted.

QuietComfort holds true to it's name. It's still one of the best headphones I've put on my head. I have them on during my entire workday in most cases.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

QuietComfort holds true to it's name. It's still one of the best headphones I've put on my head. I have them on during my entire workday in most cases.

That's a pretty solid recommendation. It's way out of my present budget so I'm looking at similar headphones.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ashex posted:

That's a pretty solid recommendation. It's way out of my present budget so I'm looking at similar headphones.

If you can get some Klipsch X10/11/12 (whichever is cheapest, the 10 and 11 are no longer made but can be found) and pair them with some comply olive shaped foam tips they sound great and are basically totally isolating.

They are tiny and light and comfy, and they don't put any pressure on the top of your head since they're IEMs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ashex posted:

What's your budget?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

grack posted:

What's your budget?

Around €100, I could stretch to €150 for the right pair.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I just got a re-badged set of HM5's and they only came with a veerrrryyyyyy long cable that is just too much wire for my current setup. Are there any ok to decent replacements that are available in the UK and are not stupidly expensive?

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've been on the lookout for a decent wireless headphone to splurge on, and just noticed the B&O Play H8 Wireless on "sale" on the Air Miles dream rewards:

Air Miles is a loyalty program in Canada that pissed off a lot of people last year when their point rewards dated over five years were set to expire, but the expiry was canned at the last minute AFTER people panic spent their miles on stuff they didn't need for fear of use it or lose it. The company seems to be preparing to make up for losses by devaluing the mile value going into 2017.

The mile value varies, but for merchandise, it's generally 10.5 cents, so at 4525, I'm redeeming it for a rough value of $475.13 CAD.

Seems to be a decent deal, unless I'm missing something about the H8 not being a worthwhile pick up even with cost not being an issue?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I want a wireless, closed, portable/folding, circumaural headphone exclusively for watching movies on an airplane on my Macbook.

I refuse to buy Bose, so I should pretty much just get the Sennheiser Momentums and be done with it? Or should I look elsewhere? Price up to $500.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ashex posted:

Around €100, I could stretch to €150 for the right pair.

You could also look at some TWFK-based headphones like the Rock-It R50. If you really want to go the circumaural route, it would probably be a good idea to take your girlfriend shopping somewhere where she can try on stuff. Fit is personal.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I've heard very favourable things about about the Sony MDR-1000X, so I'd look into those.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

I want a wireless, closed, portable/folding, circumaural headphone exclusively for watching movies on an airplane on my Macbook.

I refuse to buy Bose, so I should pretty much just get the Sennheiser Momentums and be done with it? Or should I look elsewhere? Price up to $500.

Sony MDR 1000X seem to be the going model, but if you don't need active noise cancellation, my Audio Technica ATH M40X cans do just that perfectly with an excellent seal.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Thanks to the advice in this thread, I picked up a pair of Phillips SHP9500S headphones. They're the most comfortable headphones I've ever used by a long shot. Just as importantly to me, they fit my meaningfully-large head. It's not like I'm the elephant man or something, but I have trouble finding hats that fit me. Anyway, thanks.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Is there a thread consensus on what the king of the <$100 headphones are? Specifically, ones that would only be used when connected to a desktop and only for playing video games. I'm looking to get the most value for dollar but am not overly concerned about exceptional quality, specially considering we are talking sub $100 anyways.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Do you want closed backed or open backed headphones?
On ear, over ear, in ear?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 10, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stratus CB1 or maybe the Phillips 9500s for sub $100.

IMO.

I'd go with the Stratus because I think they are loving awesome and way comfortable.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MarcusSA posted:

Stratus CB1 or maybe the Phillips 9500s for sub $100.

IMO.

I'd go with the Stratus because I think they are loving awesome and way comfortable.

Also, while technically not under $100 at the moment (They're $108 right now on amazon, but frequently $99)
The Sennheiser 598c are FANTASTIC for the price. Big heads be warned. They're not for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Phillips 9500 are definitely my pick.