Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chichevache posted:

I finally started and I am completely blown away. Best show on tv right now.

How far in are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Archer is what Ad Men should have been. That is, yes, all of the characters are reprehensible (not "ironically" they really are universally terrible people), but they're also hilarious. Whereas when I tried to watch Ad Men, I couldn't get very far because all the characters seemed pretty reprehensible but with no comedy or other factor to redeem the show.

I might be wrong though because like I said I couldn't get very far with Ad Men. Maybe five or six episodes?
...?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sorry, a conversation I'd had before about why I didn't like Mad Men kind of clicked when I was thinking about Archer.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

seiferguy posted:

I like Archer, but I never quite fell head over heels for it like the internet did. It feels like they're trying too hard sometimes.

Yeah it's kinda up and down for me, but still usually good.

Speaking of shows I watched 5 years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZZHBxM70OI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6-g6bMK2aQ

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 1, 2017

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Bad Moon posted:

Since we are talking about tv shows I want to thank the goon who filled me in on what happened after mid Season 2 Blacklist so I can avoid it like the plague.

You're the best
I don't watch the Blacklist but I want to know.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I can see his point. Like the gang from Its Always Sunny would be intolerable assholes if they weren't as funny or frequently had schemes blow up in their faces because of their idiocy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Leperflesh posted:

Archer is what Ad Men should have been. That is, yes, all of the characters are reprehensible (not "ironically" they really are universally terrible people), but they're also hilarious. Whereas when I tried to watch Ad Men, I couldn't get very far because all the characters seemed pretty reprehensible but with no comedy or other factor to redeem the show.

I might be wrong though because like I said I couldn't get very far with Ad Men. Maybe five or six episodes?

I had the same problem and made it just as far in Mad Men as you did.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

I can see his point. Like the gang from Its Always Sunny would be intolerable assholes if they weren't as funny or frequently had schemes blow up in their faces because of their idiocy
He called it Ad Men the entire time, which made me think that there was some Adult Swim parody show that I hadn't heard of.

I don't see what Mad Men has to do at all with Archer. What's the comparison there.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He called it Ad Men the entire time, which made me think that there was some Adult Swim parody show that I hadn't heard of.

I don't see what Mad Men has to do at all with Archer. What's the comparison there.

Oh, I figured it was phone postin blues. I do it all the time sadly.

The comparison I think is just the cast is full of horrible people and without comedy it makes it unwatchable

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

a neat cape posted:

How far in are you?

Caught up! I can't wait for the new season to start! :pirate:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

God dammit yeah Mad Men not Ad Men (although it's not due to phone postin', it's just... they make ads, they're ad men, right?)

Bad Moon posted:

The comparison I think is just the cast is full of horrible people and without comedy it makes it unwatchable

And yeah, this. Although it maybe doesn't have to be comedy specifically... but comedy sure works.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
As great as the Cox rants were, the Kelso insults were the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10mktnyfOyY

Also, the one where he refers to a poorly performing intern as "future dentist" was pretty great.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't really see Mad Men as being all horrible people though? Like how does that work for Peggy, Joan, Roger, Ken, Sal, Lane, Stan, Sally... Even Don isn't meant to be malicious or anything like that.

And it has a solid amount of comedy for a drama.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

In what world should Mad Men have been more like a try-hard edgy cartoon?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

swickles posted:

As great as the Cox rants were, the Kelso insults were the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10mktnyfOyY

Also, the one where he refers to a poorly performing intern as "future dentist" was pretty great.

"Sir if I can take a moment to explain my disturbingly high mortality rate...."

"Why don't I do that for you? You're a bad doctor."

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Mad Men is a good show. Its not great, but it's good enough if you want a slow character drama.

I always liked Scrubs but never watched it in sequential order, just random episodes so ongoing storylines never got to bother me

Just started Always Sunny and its a masterpiece

Archer is running out of steam but for a while there was pure gold.

Bob's Burgers is good as long as the episode isnt about Linda because she's incredibly annoying. Gene is irritating too. Bob, Tina and Louise are the best

Friends, HIMYM, and BBT are all trash

These are my TV opinions thanks for reading

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 1, 2017

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Mad Men is great.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Bob's Burgers is not good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I don't really see Mad Men as being all horrible people though? Like how does that work for Peggy, Joan, Roger, Ken, Sal, Lane, Stan, Sally... Even Don isn't meant to be malicious or anything like that.

And it has a solid amount of comedy for a drama.

Malicious is not required to be a bad person

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Aw, Mad Men is really funny. Vincent Kartheiser deserved all the Emmys.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Agreed.

An unpopular thought: I find that most comedies that people consider to be great are only enjoyable for a few seasons until they become formulaic and stale. Archer was enjoyable for about one season and I would have been contented with watching a single season of it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Malicious is not required to be a bad person
Calling him horrible/terrible/reprehensible seems like an exaggeration.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Calling him horrible/terrible/reprehensible seems like an exaggeration.

No that description fits Don to a tee, and the show seems to agree from what I have seen. The other characters I can't say about.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Actually a good sign of whiteness is how often someone talks about The Wire

I'm the whitest dude to have ever walked upon this world and I've never seen a single episode of the Wire.

Also Don was a colossal piece of poo poo and I'm not sure if any positive adjectives can be applied to his personality

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
HIMYM was ok. It was really good when they had some of the ongoing plots like the Slap Bet and Robin Sparkles.

Happy Endings was a great show that was in the standard group of friends hang out in the city genre.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sash! posted:

I'm the whitest dude to have ever walked upon this world and I've never seen a single episode of the Wire.

It's really good.

It is a white person catnip tho.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
the only tv i watch is the simpsons dvds between seasons 1 to 11

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

swickles posted:

Happy Endings was a great show that was in the standard group of friends hang out in the city genre.
There's a poster named SHUPS 4 DETH and it makes me laugh every time.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

The real question is how many people love son of zorn

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Looking forward to seeing the next season of Venture Brothers in 2027.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chichevache posted:

Caught up! I can't wait for the new season to start! :pirate:

You're in luck!

It started last weekend

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sash! posted:

Also Don was a colossal piece of poo poo and I'm not sure if any positive adjectives can be applied to his personality

The whole character of don draper was a bunch of writers jerking off about being simultaneously jerks and creative as if the two arent mutually exclusive.

It was a good character for tv. Doesnt matter if the character is a oval office or a good bloke, so long as its done well.

Generation kill, band of brothers and the pacific all own though.

Shameless is still one of the better if underappreciated shows kicking around though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I liked shameless but after a while it became a cartoon and I lost interest.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Apparently Ad Men is a thing: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3903890/

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Bob's Burgers is really good. King of the Hill is also a masterpiece of television. I was unsure about Rick and Morty before watching, but it's a really good show.

I've gone back and forth on what to think about Man In the High Castle. I've enjoyed it, but it hasn't become a favorite show.

HIMYM went on for 2 seasons too long. Some of the early seasons had good episodes.

I've been re-watching 30 Rock; It's holding up well.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 1, 2017

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
If you like Archer and Bob's Burgers check out Dr Katz, Professional Therapist (1995-2001 or so)

H Jon Benjamin (Archer and Bob Belcher) is loving great as the Dr Katz's goony 20 something son that lives with him.

Plus real comedians that later got huge playing animated versions of themselves

Clerks 1 is still funny (well, Jay and Randall are still funny in Clerks 1)

I don't have cable anymore and have a huge DVD collection so I end up putting on either comedies I've seen a million times (Caddyshack, Kingpin, Animal House, Jackass 1/2, Wildboyz) or sci fi movies I've seen a million times (Sunshine, Alien, Solaris, 2001, Moon, the Abyss)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

All of you should be watching F is for Family because Bill Burr is a loving genius and probably the funniest man alive.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Grounhog Day just... over and over and over.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
mr show and the one season of stella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The 2 seasons of marco polo were p cool. Shame they cancelled that.

• Locked thread