Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

mewse posted:

Boss: "When you distribute these 6 laptops don't hand them over unless you get their old one back"

What actually happens: 3 laptops recovered, one is missing power adapter

We've had that happening too, until we started refusing to hand out new machines unless people were returning the old ones at the same time. If we didn't get the charger back at the same time we'll bill their department for it and buy a new one.
We used to be nice and give people a few days with both machines to sort things out. Guess how easy it was to get the old machines back? Yeah we're not that nice any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I'm on the other side of monitor replacement: the stickers on the backs of my monitors read MAY 2003 and JUNE 2003, but the new kid in the cube farm has two brand new 20" widescreens.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I brought in an old 24" from home because I didn't need it and was planning on hooking up three monitors. But I can't hook up three monitors with my current setup. While I waited for my coworker to order some loving cables, someone else's monitor went out so they took the unused one I had sitting around.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I'm on the other side of monitor replacement: the stickers on the backs of my monitors read MAY 2003 and JUNE 2003, but the new kid in the cube farm has two brand new 20" widescreens.

Well boo loving hoo.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sickening posted:

Well boo loving hoo.

#triggered

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

anthonypants posted:

I brought in an old 24" from home because I didn't need it and was planning on hooking up three monitors. But I can't hook up three monitors with my current setup. While I waited for my coworker to order some loving cables, someone else's monitor went out so they took the unused one I had sitting around.

Yeah this is one reason I dislike bringing my own stuff in, I'd take forever to try and find out who took something off my desk.

In other news I'm finally losing my access to the administrators group on all workstations, sccm, and vmware. It took a while after I left the helpdesk. I'm going to miss having those rights, everything's pretty locked down and the helpdesk is slow so I can't solve my own issues anymore and it'll take forever to get someone else to solve them. There's not really anything I can do about the other stuff, but I'm trying to figure out how I can hold on to having administrator locally.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

People turn their brains off at work. Putting in tickets like "My computer won't turn on" or "I got a message that says the red toner is low and needs to be replaced. What does that mean? Is it a problem with my computer?"

It's like are you this helpless at home? What do you do when your toilet won't flush? Do you immediately call a plumber and poo poo in a bucket, or do you bust out the plunger?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

vas0line posted:

People turn their brains off at work. Putting in tickets like "My computer won't turn on" or "I got a message that says the red toner is low and needs to be replaced. What does that mean? Is it a problem with my computer?"

It's like are you this helpless at home? What do you do when your toilet won't flush? Do you immediately call a plumber and poo poo in a bucket, or do you bust out the plunger?

I do this joke where I put the reciever of the phone on the top of my head
MY PHONE DONT WORK WHATS WRONG WITH IT
OH YEA IT GOES ON MY EAR

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

OH YEA IT GOES ON MY EAR

You can't expect me to just know that, I'm not a telephone expert like you.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
You think you're having a bad day?
https://twitter.com/gitlabstatus/status/826591961444384768
Except apparently their backups didn't work?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GCK53YDcBWQveod9kfzW-VCxIABGiryG7_z_6jHdVik/pub

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haha holy poo poo.

Test your backups folks. Or at least monitor them!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

You know what? I'm with you. It's bullshit that new hires get better equipment than existing employees.

Let's be honest, your average low/mid level worker gets very little in the way of recognition for their work and here they are, effectively saying 'this new guy deserves better stuff than you. Not only that, everyone in the office and everyone passing through can very visibly see that we think they are more important than you'

Do a full department roll-out to the current employees and keep their old stuff for the new hires.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

spog posted:

You know what? I'm with you. It's bullshit that new hires get better equipment than existing employees.

Let's be honest, your average low/mid level worker gets very little in the way of recognition for their work and here they are, effectively saying 'this new guy deserves better stuff than you. Not only that, everyone in the office and everyone passing through can very visibly see that we think they are more important than you'

Do a full department roll-out to the current employees and keep their old stuff for the new hires.

Yeah gently caress that, if you hire me and won't even give me proper monitors you can gently caress right off.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Haha holy poo poo.

With our users we test them every flippin' day.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

ConfusedUs posted:

Haha holy poo poo.

Doing that right now, and I'm glad I did - turns out the backup to S3 that I was using was a 'snapshot' type of our whole NAS, not a 'file by file backup' I thought, so I would have had to restore the entire NAS to restore a single missing file.
Added an incremental file backup now, testing with Google Drive, and doing a lot of checking :)

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Bob Morales posted:

OH YEA IT GOES ON MY EAR

No loving lie, a few weeks back when we were snowed in badly here in Portland the HR director wound up on the front desk, I got a P1 ticket (since no one else drove in, loving slackers) from her:

"HOW CAN I ANSWER THE PHONE, I CAN BARELY HEAR ANYONE! I NEED HELP RIGHT NOW!"

So I head up to the front desk. She's got the headset on the wrong side so the earpiece isn't in her ear, but facing outward.

This woman makes at least half a mil a year.

:psyduck:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Last time we had a huge snow storm when almost everyone stayed home, the CEO worked from home

"Forward my calls to my cell. Why can't I call people by extension? How am I supposed to call so and so at home"

The gently caress lady. We don't have ip phones. Guess what everyone is either at the bar or out sledding with their kids (what else is there to do in the snow)

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
It's not "administrate" you semi-literate fucktard. You either administer something or you manage something.

"Administrate" is a stupid word used by stupid people.

Also: my mom called me to say she got hit by ransomeware. I said "you have warranty support. Call Dell." :feelsgood:

She's actually going to take it to her local shop to see if they will wipe and reinstall if there is anything the can do. After a zillion years, mom has become an independent computer user...

But this raises a question:

Does carbonite have versioning?

Mom has carbonite running. As the ransomware swept through her machine, wouldn't carbonite see that files had been modified and start uploading them, potentially overwriting good versions with encrypted ones?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agrikk posted:

As the ransomware swept through her machine, wouldn't carbonite see that files had been modified and start uploading them, potentially overwriting good versions with encrypted ones?
I don't know about Carbonite but any good backup software should have versioning.

So she'd have to roll back to the 'good' files but she'd be okay.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Bizarrely, poo poo NOT pissing me off:

Company's been preparing a proposal for a contract bid. Deadline for prep is EOD today to allow sales team to digest the info and prepare for questions.

I've helped the team in question in the past with similar and would've loved to have helped out with this, but bossman (rightly, to be fair) said "Nope - you're internal IT, not a projects engineer." However, it was agreed that I'd review it.

(Which is kinda weird as my job title is Linux & DevOps Engineer. But anyway...)

Monday: I review the proposed architecture; looks good.

Tuesday: Project team were told Managed Services would be building the proposed solution. MS turn around and say "Hell no, we look after things AFTER they're built." Project team panics. Try to rope me in, my hands are tied: bossman says no. Maybe 3 people in the company have the skillset to draw this up quickly without BSing it, myself included.

This gets escalated to the exec board. They overrule my boss and tell me to JFDI - OK!

Weds: I draw up the infrastructure & costing to build the solution, and update the proposal bid docs to answer client questions. All good, bid docs ready before deadline.

Rewind a bit to Tues night... boss has a meltdown and goes nuclear over IM. I understand why he's pissed, but at the same time it's been good to actually do something like this as that's why I originally joined (and is why I'm shortly moving team.) Can't help but be amused at him losing his poo poo, though. Would sharing but sanitising it be unethical? Probably, but if there's demand who knows what could happen.

:feelsgood:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Agrikk posted:

Does carbonite have versioning?

Mom has carbonite running. As the ransomware swept through her machine, wouldn't carbonite see that files had been modified and start uploading them, potentially overwriting good versions with encrypted ones?

Yes, they have versioning, but mass reversion is not something you can do from within the client. (Unless you have the server product, which is completely different.)

Call Support. They should be able to get all or most of her stuff back.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Yes, they have versioning, but mass reversion is not something you can do from within the client. (Unless you have the server product, which is completely different.)

Call Support. They should be able to get all or most of her stuff back.

Don't they have a thing where they'll FedEx a drive in a USB enclosure for mass restores like this (for a fee)? Or is that some other product I'm thinking of?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

flosofl posted:

Don't they have a thing where they'll FedEx a drive in a USB enclosure for mass restores like this (for a fee)? Or is that some other product I'm thinking of?

Yeah, they have Courier recovery services for a fee, also.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

flosofl posted:

BackBlaze offers that, I'm sure others do too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

BackBlaze offers that, I'm sure others do too.

That's pretty drat reasonable pricing.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Agrikk posted:

"Administrate" is a stupid word used by stupid people.

If you want to conversate offline about robust language, call a meeting with myself.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

spog posted:

Surely you don't get to keep the drive for that price, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Nards Pan posted:

Why not? Both are way above market value for the device in question

spog
Aug 7, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Why not? Both are way above market value for the device in question

I personally think that $189 is less than I would expect just for the cost of loading the data onto a HDD.

EDIT: Heck, Amazon Glacier charges double that for retrieving 4TB of data over a month, three times for a 4 day retrieval time.
http://liangzan.net/aws-glacier-calculator/

spog fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 1, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

But $189 isn't the price you are paying, it's $189 plus the price of you using the service.

The cost of getting some datacenter jockey to fetch, package, and ship the dive is probably less than they would pay in bandwidth if you download it and that method is free.

Glacier isn't a fair comparison since they have additional overhead in fetching the data since it's 'cold' and likely offline.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 1, 2017

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

spog posted:

[ASK] me about having all our desktop equipment be on a 5 year refresh schedule. Oops, sorry, I meant 6. Just got pushed out farther.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

A couple months ago, my sister got a MacBook for Christmas. I swear to Christ, my grandmother immediately pipes up and says "I have a CD of Windows XP downstairs if you want it"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

spog posted:

If what you have isn't getting the job done in a reasonable manner, fine. If you feel you slighted because someone else got something newer you are just being a big baby user.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 1, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Nards Pan posted:

It's yours to keep. You can even return it for a refund when you're done. They will only send you a drive big enough to hold your backups, though. You don't get a 4TB drive if you a restoring 20GB of stuff

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spog posted:

It's actually even more reasonable than that:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/introducing-the-restore-return-refund-program/

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Bob Morales posted:

It's yours to keep. You can even return it for a refund when you're done. They will only send you a drive big enough to hold your backups, though. You don't get a 4TB drive if you a restoring 20GB of stuff

I also realize that I'd recently been pricing external ssds, which are, uh, considerably more expensive than platter drives.

Things that are pissing me off - lovely thumb drives that choke on vmdk files bigger than 20gb.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bull3964 posted:

Glacier isn't a fair comparison since they have additional overhead in fetching the data since it's 'cold' and likely offline.
Wait, so you think that when you ship a disk to Amazon Glacier they just toss it in a pile somewhere?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

anthonypants posted:

Wait, so you think that when you ship a disk to Amazon Glacier they just toss it in a pile somewhere?

Perhaps Agrikk can tell us more, though I'm guessing that's a slightly different department, but I was under the impression Glacier was in fact giant tape libraries.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

anthonypants posted:

No, but as indicated a lot of that is offloaded to tape and/or optical storage (like Facebook's BDR library.)

It's also indicated that they could be using a lot of custom very low RPM disks with aggressive power management.

Anyways, Glacier is using a tiering mechanism in their stack that adds overhead to fetching data.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

They make a neat throne out of drives.