Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

THC posted:

The House of Commons, in response to a request from B.C.’s New Democratic Party MP Jenny Kwan, will hold an emergency debate Tuesday on the implications of President Donald Trump’s Muslim-targeting travel ban.

Kwan, who presented her argument to Speaker Geoff Regan in the chamber Monday, said the all-party debate would help Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government develop a response strategy that reflects Canadian values.

she's good

*shines the CI signal at a cloud*

*it's a jpeg of a $2 million dollar bungalow*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://twitter.com/markcritch/status/826590944199921665

https://twitter.com/markcritch/status/826591800769011712

Mark is taking out the garbage

Ed:

https://twitter.com/ezralevant/status/826584779697045508

https://twitter.com/markcritch/status/826585067225042944

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 1, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

patonthebach posted:

All the reporters at the rebel are white supremacists? Thats like saying everyone at the CBC are commies

Yes, inasmuch as they're all very fond of supporting structural white supremacy in our society. They aren't all Klan-level racist evangelists, but they are all very much complicit.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Soldiers of Odin is definitely not a white supremacist organization.

Look at all of these photos:
https://soldiersofodinbc.com/photos

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Nice, they're even trying to copy the federal gov't font.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

As I've said in the past, many times, with Rebel people and the hard right it goes far beyond mere disagreement. I get that it's hard for some (white) people to imagine politics as having any more consequence than a sum on their tax return, or whether their garbage gets hauled away on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. But the sort of propaganda they engage in is literally a matter of life and death for the people they're targeting.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 1, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Sneakers and leather... a shameful hate-group.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

As I've said in the past, many times, with Rebel people and the hard right it goes far beyond mere disagreement.

When a nazi comes along... you must punch it!
Every nazi's dong... you must punch it!

Punch it good!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

OSI bean dip posted:

I forgot that jasonkenney.org redirects to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZd_RoxOYgc

Once a dweeb, always a dweeb apparently.

No shocker this man has never been laid in his life.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It's more of a callback

Lauren hasn't tried that bullshit since afaik so it was a cool & good idea. Still a garbage human tho

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Faith GOldy has the wOrst repOrter voice

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

THC posted:

Lauren hasn't tried that bullshit since afaik so it was a cool & good idea. Still a garbage human tho

What won't they tell us about the mosque shooting?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Duggler posted:

What won't they tell us about the mosque shooting?

That Ezra Levant was watching the breaking news coverage and stroking his disfigured, infantile cock when he heard a brown person might have been involved, I presume.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

When a nazi comes along... you must punch it!
Every nazi's dong... you must punch it!

Punch it good!

I know we've argued lots but I'm glad we can come together in our shared disgust for Ezra Levant and his little clutch of Aryan interns

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

I know we've argued lots but I'm glad we can come together in our shared disgust for Ezra Levant and his little clutch of Aryan interns

And punching nazis.

Seriously, though, I've argued for some poo poo that I realize now, even though I didn't think it was bad, and I still don't think would be bad in isolation, has done possibly irreparable harm to our country, and I'm loving sorry now. You better believe it. I'd say we still disagree on a lot of poo poo, but watching Cheeto Benito drag his dirty loving nutsack into the White House has convinced me that I was wrong about a lot of poo poo. I mean, I still believe free speech is something that needs to be protected as much as possible, but now I'm seeing that the lack of restriction will lead to a far worse conclusion. I still believe that Islam, like all religions, has a lot of bad poo poo in it (no more than Christianity or Judaism or any other religion, though), but I realize that criticizing those things too much has led to far worse things, and sadly it made me an unwitting ally of some really horrible people who need a solid punch in the cock and balls.

Where do we go from here? I don't give a gently caress about my taxes anymore, I just want to return to a political culture of relative sanity at this point. I don't like where we're going, and if I have to make common cause with people I disagree with I think I'd rather take people a bit further to the left than a bit further to the right.

Edit: I remember when I was young as gently caress and bitching about economic policies and this and that in this very thread, and I did feel scared at the time as I said, but now I feel so much worse, and more scared. I have an obligation to deal with in the US this week and I'm leaving tomorrow morning, and only Vitamin (Export) A is keeping me from freaking the gently caress out about it. I'll come back in 6 days and hopefully never go again, but I don't want that poo poo creeping north of the border.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 1, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Okay that's it, I like PT6A even more now, I'm going to the hospital

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If you throw feces at Ezra Levent it gets absorbed into his soft, lovely body because he is in fact poo

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey maybe if everyone ignored the rebel they'd go out of business

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of traffic to the rebel came from liberals because all you need to do is see how much traffic slows down when there's a loving accident on sw marine dr

You dumb loving assholes

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

And punching nazis.

Seriously, though, I've argued for some poo poo that I realize now, even though I didn't think it was bad, and I still don't think would be bad in isolation, has done possibly irreparable harm to our country, and I'm loving sorry now. You better believe it. I'd say we still disagree on a lot of poo poo, but watching Cheeto Benito drag his dirty loving nutsack into the White House has convinced me that I was wrong about a lot of poo poo. I mean, I still believe free speech is something that needs to be protected as much as possible, but now I'm seeing that the lack of restriction will lead to a far worse conclusion. I still believe that Islam, like all religions, has a lot of bad poo poo in it (no more than Christianity or Judaism or any other religion, though), but I realize that criticizing those things too much has led to far worse things, and sadly it made me an unwitting ally of some really horrible people who need a solid punch in the cock and balls.

Where do we go from here? I don't give a gently caress about my taxes anymore, I just want to return to a political culture of relative sanity at this point. I don't like where we're going, and if I have to make common cause with people I disagree with I think I'd rather take people a bit further to the left than a bit further to the right.

Edit: I remember when I was young as gently caress and bitching about economic policies and this and that in this very thread, and I did feel scared at the time as I said, but now I feel so much worse, and more scared. I have an obligation to deal with in the US this week and I'm leaving tomorrow morning, and only Vitamin (Export) A is keeping me from freaking the gently caress out about it. I'll come back in 6 days and hopefully never go again, but I don't want that poo poo creeping north of the border.

You're a cool dude PT6A and you've come a long way.

I live in the US and it's scary. People are legitimately frightened for the future of their country down here and it's been 11 days.

PS you should come around on pipelines too (they are bad)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

James Baud posted:

The good news is that George W Bush has been downgraded from Hitler to establishment stooge.

Harper too!

My one hope for Canadian politics that the Liberals don't gently caress up so bad that in 5 years I'm feeling nostalgic for Stephen loving Harper.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

THC posted:

As I've said in the past, many times, with Rebel people and the hard right it goes far beyond mere disagreement. I get that it's hard for some (white) people to imagine politics as having any more consequence than a sum on their tax return, or whether their garbage gets hauled away on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. But the sort of propaganda they engage in is literally a matter of life and death for the people they're targeting.

agreed, punch nazis, dump piss on shitbag white supremacists, errday no matter what some rural chuckle-gently caress says on here

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The rebels don't get money when we talk about them. They do get money when angry white dudes send them cash. That's happening whether we want to acknowledge it or not. It's important to keep an eye on these groups and their activities so we're not totally blindsided when they suddenly come out of the woodwork, like the RNC seemingly was by Trump's success (and Team Hillary's similar surprise at the presence of actual left wingers in their party)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

vyelkin posted:

PS you should come around on pipelines too (they are bad)

Let's not go too far. There are ways to do them right, but sadly no one wants that because it's too expensive for businesses to support, and it still involves pipelines, which is anathema to leftists. We need a strong government that's not overly beholden to either side to allow pipelines with strict regulations and constant inspections. Plus -- someone's got to do that, so it's basically a jobs program.

And nuclear. Let's split some fuckin' atoms, b'ys.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Isn't it amazing what a recession will do to mold a man's character?

This is proven counterfactually by BCs prosperity obviously.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
It's gratifying to see someone evolve, especially when taking the time to engage them helps them change their mind. Because that's a rare thing these days.

As for what we do to reduce the effects of Trumpism in Canada, I've started calling out nationalistic and racist bullshit when I see it, both in person and online. Part of the problem is that that level of discourse has been (re)normalized, and it needs to get put back in the ground.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

There are a lot of honest-to-god leftists and NDP members (and NDP brass) who support pipelines because of the employment they will bring. They're good unionized jobs too, or so we're told. I really do speak from the political fringe when I talk about them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

Isn't it amazing what a recession will do to mold a man's character?

This is proven counterfactually by BCs prosperity obviously.

On the other hand: the rest of Alberta.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pipelines are OK.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
nah they're bad

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Perhaps the truth... Is in the middle?!?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If we were transporting something like worse than oil, like Don Cherry, across the country in pipelines there would be a lot more people worried about them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

If we were transporting something like worse than oil, like Don Cherry, across the country in pipelines there would be a lot more people worried about them.

You'd need a pipeline of almost unimaginable girth to manage such a thing. No way that would be safe!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
The death of Don Cherry cannot come soon enough.

e:
https://anti-racistcanada.blogspot.ca/2017/01/shooting-at-mosque-in-quebec-city.html

quote:

A source close to this writer has found evidence that Bissonnette ran with an alt-right group at Laval University. He was associated with a man named Pascal Mercier-Lévesque who appears to have been a writer for GAUCHEDROITISTAN. The site is conveniently down for maintenance (wonder why?) but the Internet Archives have the site saved.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161002071727/http://gauchedroitistan.com/

This blog is a pretty good read.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 1, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Why does Breitbart need Shopify to sell his gibberish merchandise?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
It's not that pipelines are a literal manifestation of evil on earth so much as they're built to encourage growth in a dead end industry captained by wielders of capital so vast they can bend the media and political discourse to their will and have done so to deliberately to hold us back from alternatives and funnel public resources away from where they're needed to fund their own enrichment.

If the energy industry didn't hold the leash on a huge number of politicians and actually took responsibility for their messes in a timely matter pipelines would be fine, but as it is pipelines don't serve the Canadian good nearly as much as anything else would if we reallocated our focus as soon as possible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Utgardaloki posted:

It's not that pipelines are a literal manifestation of evil on earth so much as they're built to encourage growth in a dead end industry captained by wielders of capital so vast they can bend the media and political discourse to their will and have done so to deliberately to hold us back from alternatives and funnel public resources away from where they're needed to fund their own enrichment.

If the energy industry didn't hold the leash on a huge number of politicians and actually took responsibility for their messes in a timely matter pipelines would be fine, but as it is pipelines don't serve the Canadian good nearly as much as anything else would if we reallocated our focus as soon as possible.

Well, I can agree with that. Our previous governments (provincially in Alberta and nationally) have done gently caress all in terms of boosting viable industries in the absence of resource extraction, and we need to do much more -- but to do that, we need money, and we can't do that without oil at this point. I wish it were otherwise, but it ain't.

EDIT: And we need nuclear power yesterday, to drive the demand side of the equation down. We can't do gently caress all in the absence of a good alternative, and nuclear is the best and safest option.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

PT6A posted:

Well, I can agree with that. Our previous governments (provincially in Alberta and nationally) have done gently caress all in terms of boosting viable industries in the absence of resource extraction, and we need to do much more -- but to do that, we need money, and we can't do that without oil at this point. I wish it were otherwise, but it ain't.

Here's the truth about Alberta: besides agriculture and natural resources, there is absolutely nothing worthwhile to invest in within Alberta or between the Rockies and Lake Simcoe. For the most part, everything in that space is landlocked (Hudson Bay does not count) and industry there is limited to farming, mining, and oil. While CI will talk about how garbage Vancouver is, I'd sooner invest in something in Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal before I'd consider a business elsewhere in this country.

Alberta is worthless unless it has poo poo from the ground it can sell.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

Ms. Leitch said her screening test is not geared toward any specific region and isn't even specifically about security. She said it would apply "whether you're a white supremacist … or people who think women are pieces of property … or people who believe violence is a legitimate way to get what they want, who don't share our Canadian values."

When asked why she has never referenced white supremacists before, she said, "Well, do you think that Canadians share those values? I don't."

Ms. Leitch has been endorsed by two white nationalist groups – the Council of European Canadians, which believes "the European heritage and character of Canada should be maintained and enhanced," and British Columbia's anti-immigration Cultural Action Party.

She said she has condemned the endorsements. "I didn't accept their support," she said.

Ahh, the No True Klansman approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

Here's the truth about Alberta: besides agriculture and natural resources, there is absolutely nothing worthwhile to invest in within Alberta or between the Rockies and Lake Simcoe. For the most part, everything in that space is landlocked (Hudson Bay does not count) and industry there is limited to farming, mining, and oil. While CI will talk about how garbage Vancouver is, I'd sooner invest in something in Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal before I'd consider a business elsewhere in this country.

Alberta is worthless unless it has poo poo from the ground it can sell.

The weather is gorgeous 90% of the time if you don't mind cold, it's not very expensive, and it's loving beautiful. Better than being stuck in some assfuck valley in the interior where the fog lifts once per winter, even if there are slightly more trees around.

I've thought about moving and there's literally no place in Canada I'd rather live than southern Alberta. I would enjoy it very much if Calgary were more cosmopolitan, but really, I live in the best place in Canada. I'm with EvilJoven on Manitoba's merits, but the current government is a bit poo poo and there are too many mosquitoes.

EDIT: And, just so y'all don't think I've changed too much, I'll play some of the Greatest Hits. I'm the weirdo who takes Madrid over Barcelona, Havana over Varadero, and Logrono over San Sebastian. Sometimes I'll take a very well executed average over a failed exceptional.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 1, 2017