Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
New DLC dropped. Go see your friendly shrine clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Boy I can't imagine putting the first two over any of the others unless you're going purely off memory, maybe. Those two games don't feel good to play and are pretty poorly paced.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think Yakuza 2 is kind of put over more than most for the ridiculous ending sequence, but that entire game is effectively non-canon at this point with how hard they try to ignore it ever happened. You'd think someone in Osaka might bring up the time a golden castle rose out of the ground but no, it's just business as usual for Sotenbori. It did have a story written by an actual crime author which made it a lot more interesting, in my opinion, but the classic PS2 games are just too archaic these days. I can't imagine going back to the original 2, especially with Kiwami coming this Summer and Sega of Japan saying last year that they wanted to give 2 the Kiwami treatment as well. Yakuza Kiwami 2 could probably turn out to be one of the series best.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

mikeycp posted:

Boy I can't imagine putting the first two over any of the others unless you're going purely off memory, maybe. Those two games don't feel good to play and are pretty poorly paced.

I enjoyed my time with 1 as it was something different. I did however miss out on 2 due to not having a working PS2 at the time and it sorta just slipped by me and didn't think about Yakuza until 3 showed up. At least with 1, I can agree some parts dragged on but the story was enchanting to me start to finish. If only the English voice acting wasn't so half assed (except for Mark Hamill playing Majima), I'd enjoy it more. I'm definitely looking forward to playing Kiwami however for sure.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I wanna punch Tigers in HD with 60 FPS.

Put that on the box for Kiwami 2

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Policenaut posted:

It did have a story written by an actual crime author which made it a lot more interesting, in my opinion, but the classic PS2 games are just too archaic these days. I can't imagine going back to the original 2, especially with Kiwami coming this Summer and Sega of Japan saying last year that they wanted to give 2 the Kiwami treatment as well.

He was just a script advisor on it iirc. He certainly was only that on 1 and 2 feels like it's paced very similarly, just with less bullshit busywork parts of the MSQ. That said the story was still pretty generic apart from the cool set pieces that fall apart as soon as you have to actually play with them. Having just played 2 within the last month I can't recommend anybody play it unless maybe 1 is the only other one you've played. I super don't understand all the love it gets unless it's pure nostalgia.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Okay, I'm barely into chapter 2 and probably spending way too much time on side stuff, but I've noticed that there are some completions you can get for dashing a certain amount of distance and a few CP upgrades for that as well. My question is how the hell do you even dash in the first place? No buttons do anything while running around Kamurocho besides L1/R1 making me walk, so I'm guessing this is some kind of skill you get later on. I just want to make sure in case I'm missing something blindingly obvious.

edit: Blindingly obvious it was. Thanks guys

hamburgers in pockets fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 1, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Okay, I'm barely into chapter 2 and probably spending way too much time on side stuff, but I've noticed that there are some completions you can get for dashing a certain amount of distance and a few CP upgrades for that as well. My question is how the hell do you even dash in the first place? No buttons do anything while running around Kamurocho besides L1/R1 making me walk, so I'm guessing this is some kind of skill you get later on. I just want to make sure in case I'm missing something blindingly obvious.
At least in Japan it's holding X. It's not so much faster than normal running but you can hear Kiryu breathing heavy when he does it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It's x

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I don't think they ever explain that feature, I just stumbled upon it by complete accident.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

After a week, my Yakuza 0 in-game clock reads 36 hours. I've effectively taken on a second job. Send help. This drat game, though.

The only other one I've seriously played is 3, though I own 4 and Dead Souls in hardcopy -- and I think I have a copy of the original Yakuza around here somewhere. I really loved 3, and I'm looking forward to playing the rest.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

1 and 2 at least had coherent stories, I couldn't possibly explain to you what happened in 3 through 5.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, the quadruple betrayals and the fake bullets and the talks about the resort deal is baffling. I couldn't finish five due to my ps3 dying, but I almost finished Baseballer Dude and all I remember is Taiga punching Bears and Haruka running on TV. The main story was... I don't remember.

To be fair, 4s Ending was glorious. The stupid money match on millennium tower with 4 shirtless dudes fighting 3 other shirtless dudes + Munakata and his police ninja while Akiyamas money is flying around was worth the setup.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 1, 2017

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Just got to the Cabaret Club management portion of the game (so much better than real estate). I'm still confused by the rating they give stats based on PS controller buttons, X = bad? Triangle = Best or is Square?

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

titanium posted:

Just got to the Cabaret Club management portion of the game (so much better than real estate). I'm still confused by the rating they give stats based on PS controller buttons, X = bad? Triangle = Best or is Square?

X = Bad, Triangle = OK, Circle = Good, Circle with smaller circle inside = Great. There's no square.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Japan is one of the good countries where in a circle is good and a x is bad.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Oh man, Majima's Karaoke song is so good.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

lets hang out posted:

1 and 2 at least had coherent stories, I couldn't possibly explain to you what happened in 3 through 5.

I will give them that. 2 even did us the service of not jamming all of it at the end like 1 did. (only like half of it.)

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

titanium posted:

Good to hear that considering I've nearly wiped out all the five billionaires.

I assume mini story people show up to help manage the cabaret Club like in real estate minigame

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Speaking of which, there is no way to mark on the map the buildings you need to buy/partner up with, right?

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
Okay, so how do you get the ingredients to finish the Komain quest?

EDIT: Oh. Didn't realise the answer had been given earlier in the thread. My bad~

Emperordaein fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 1, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Holy poo poo, I think the latest patch just enabled item stacking for the first time ever.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Stelas posted:

Holy poo poo, I think the latest patch just enabled item stacking for the first time ever.
HOLY SMOKES

You mean they've finally entered the 21st century?? Here I thought them having equipment and inventory items separate was amaze

drat, they already got rid of so much jank its gonna be hellish replaying the other games

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I spent about 6 hours playing this today, and probably 5 of those hours playing the cabaret club stuff. I can't believe how addictive it is, and I just wish everyone would stop being so mean to Yuki.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
This game has Lenne Hardt in it.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm echoing the sentiments that this is the best Yakuza yet. I absolutely adore it and find it really hard to put down. Week 1 had my save file reach 42 hours. It was magical.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Every time I try to rush the game so I can play in Legendary I get distracted by a lady who wants a pizza or remembering that I haven't tried ALL THE WHISKIES in Earth Angel. :(

Maybe being unable to reach Stage 3 in Outrun will be the catalyst I need to not 100% the game twice, both in Hard and Legendary.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Stelas posted:

Plates naturally stacked since release. If it's those then nothing changed.

Also I've found a new favorite Heat move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS6SJbDaMUc

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 1, 2017

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Zaa Boogie posted:

Plates naturally stacked since release. If it's those then nothing changed.

Also I've found a new favorite Heat move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS6SJbDaMUc

It's fish

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

lets hang out posted:

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, the quadruple betrayals and the fake bullets and the talks about the resort deal is baffling. I couldn't finish five due to my ps3 dying, but I almost finished Baseballer Dude and all I remember is Taiga punching Bears and Haruka running on TV. The main story was... I don't remember.

To be fair, 4s Ending was glorious. The stupid money match on millennium tower with 4 shirtless dudes fighting 3 other shirtless dudes + Munakata and his police ninja while Akiyamas money is flying around was worth the setup.

IIRC they got a pretty popular crime novelist to write Yakuza 2's story which is why the scope is so much bigger/the story parts are way longer than Yakuza 3/etc.

I love Yakuza 4 but the fake bullet thing really was bizarre, same with like, the entire endgame of Yakuza 3. I mean I know what the character represents but the final stand off/cutscene/whatever with Mine reached this hilarious point of like oh wait so we actually agree on basically everything and are cool with each other, time to kill myself anyway. 4's endgame is amazing like you say though and so are each of its chapter endings. I found it interesting how 4 has four characters that play differently but had a simpler story overall (just with some real stupid poo poo now and then like the rubber bullets).

I still have to finish Yakuza 5. Is each character's story really "do this mini-game thing way too much and then go the final building."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Stelas posted:

What stacked?

I know that could stack plates on v1.00, but did they expand it to medicine?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

numerrik posted:

It's fish

Yeah, fish were also already stackable as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If healing items could stack the game would have literally no challenge. I mean these games are already insanely easy if you just load up on the best healing drinks anyway, like any time I've lost a fight in this game it's been purely because I forgot to open the pause menu or forgot to buy drinks before a fight.

I beat Mr. Shakedown for the first time yesterday - with Majima! I actually found it easier than fighting him with Kiryu, I just dodged and chipped away then switched to Slugger for the HEAT move and repeat, took less than 5 minutes.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Slugger style owns

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

"Tax evasion is a serious crime" - Kazuma Kiryu, former Yakuza and Definitely Not a Mass Murderer.

precision posted:

I beat Mr. Shakedown for the first time yesterday - with Majima! I actually found it easier than fighting him with Kiryu, I just dodged and chipped away then switched to Slugger for the HEAT move and repeat, took less than 5 minutes.

If you just run circles around him and do Majima's Thug running attack after a charge you can win pretty easily.

Is pretty boring and time consuming, though. I prefer to get close, get a couple of punches in, dodge the punch and then get in again just in time to eat the follow up kick in the face.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Took me a while to realize you can just block most of Mr. Shakedown's attacks until he hulks out, made a lot of stuff easier to deal with.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fat Samurai posted:

"Tax evasion is a serious crime" - Kazuma Kiryu, former Yakuza and Definitely Not a Mass Murderer.

All the people you beat up are just knocked out and Kiryu has never killed a man! (The beginning of 1 doesn't count!)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Honestly the only scary thing about Mr. Shakedown to me is those freaking stomps. They eat SO MUCH HEALTH if you don't mash up fast enough.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I just get a bunch of daggers and tauriner ++ drinks when I want to take on Mr. Shakedown. Takes a couple of minutes of heat dagger stabs, stomps to gain heat, heat stab, and drinking tauriners to take them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The game finally arrived at my house!... An hour before I had to leave for work. :negative:

I got to do some karaoke with Nishiki, at least.