Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Pixelmator is 99 cents and I heard this was a good photo editing app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Pixelmator is 99 cents and I heard this was a good photo editing app.
Thanks. Been meaning to get this.

Any recommendations for a good flight tracker app?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
So what's the deal with ProTube? Is it officially endorsed by YouTube? I pay money one time and then I have the same experience as YouTubeRed or whatever?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In the same vein, is there any way to play Youtube vids in the background without paying for Red?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

rear end Catchcum posted:

So what's the deal with ProTube? Is it officially endorsed by YouTube? I pay money one time and then I have the same experience as YouTubeRed or whatever?
I'm starting to find not all videos play immediately with ProTube and finding myself switching back and forth with the official app.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

It is not officially endorsed. There's actually some weirdness where you have to sign in to your account twice because the official youtube API doesn't support a bunch of features.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yeah, won't be doing that. Thanks for the info!

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Housh posted:

I'm starting to find not all videos play immediately with ProTube and finding myself switching back and forth with the official app.

I've found the same thing as well. I can't figure out exactly what the factor is although it seems to trend towards videos uploaded more than a few years ago.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Is there an app that works like Sky Map in Android? Didn't find anything the last time I wanted to know what bright thing in the sky I'm looking at.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Honj Steak posted:

Is there an app that works like Sky Map in Android? Didn't find anything the last time I wanted to know what bright thing in the sky I'm looking at.

I use sky guide

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Honj Steak posted:

Star Chart seems pretty popular.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

A lot of this depends on what technology it's based on.
If it's using the Youtube API for iOS then it's using the official Youtube-sanctioned method for showing their videos (that's not endorsement, more like permission). A cursory read of the ToS for this API shows it to be in apparent violation of several of the terms, of course. Presumably this means it could get shutdown, yanked from the appstore, or forced to start showing ads/prohibiting downloads.

If it's using some custom code to do it all then I highly doubt youtube is happy about it, and while I couldn't speak to the legality of it, I have no idea, it'd be something to wonder about (for the developer).
It also looks like using a player with custom code like that would put your account in violation of the ToS (well, that's my read of the ToS). Oh, and its going to be massively fragile to changes in Youtube's code. Which they do a lot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Josh Lyman posted:

In the same vein, is there any way to play Youtube vids in the background without paying for Red?

....protube?

Well you can't download videos but you can play in the background and I'm pretty sure there's no ads. The UI is atrocious, though

I mean it's what $3? lol

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

dupersaurus posted:

I use sky guide

Seconded. It's a beautiful app.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I use SkyView.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Honj Steak posted:

I've been using Star Walk for years and it's great.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is 1Blocker still the ad blocker of choice? And can these ad blockers work from the web browsers that are brought up in apps like Twitter (where it doesn't go to the Safari app)?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No they only work for apps that use safari kit. Twitter and Facebook both make their money from ads so unfortunately I can't see them ever implementing the safari API

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

God, opening links in Facebook is the worst.

But lol if you're using the official Twitter app. That's just your fault. That Twitter has displayed openly racist sponsored tweets makes it a moral imperative to NOT use anything that shows them imo.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

But lol if you're using the official Twitter app. That's just your fault.

I know that was the thing to say in like 2008 but it's really fine now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Dave posted:

I know that was the thing to say in like 2008 but it's really fine now.
-Displays sponsored tweets (which include racist tweets)
-Doesn't use safarikit, so opening links shows ads

In conclusion, it's bad, OP.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What do you use?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What do you use?

Tweetbot is good. I have heard but cannot confirm that Twitterriffic is also pretty good, and cheaper.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

God, opening links in Facebook is the worst.

But lol if you're using the official Twitter app. That's just your fault. That Twitter has displayed openly racist sponsored tweets makes it a moral imperative to NOT use anything that shows them imo.

I uninstalled the Facebook app a long time ago. The notifications weren't even working, and I always just used Safari to read my News Feed. But now they don't even let you look at your private messages on a phone. Just on an iPad and computer.

However, I was using the twitter app, and I get annoyed when I click a link in my feed, and getting articles drowned in ads. I was hoping that an App Store ad blocker would help that too, but welp...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just checked and the Facebook app on my phone is something ridiculous like 490mb. :fuckoff:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Ultimeyes is currently free, it's some app that's supposed to help improve your vision or something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Arcsech posted:

Tweetbot is good. I have heard but cannot confirm that Twitterriffic is also pretty good, and cheaper.

I use Tweetbot yeah. Blocks ads, uses Safari, has a dark mode, has muting by various filters, and supports multiple accounts.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Holy poo poo, Tweetbot is :10bux: . I guess I'll deal with ads.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
the other problem with tweetbot is that for some reason it's real broken and doesn't show like half the tweets in threads and is missing a ton of newer twitter features (polls?) and stuff because of API limitations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I don't care $10 enough to get a 3rd party app for twitter.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been 100% onboard the Tweetbot train for a couple years now. I only keep the official Twitter app on my phone for when I need to view images in DMs because Tweetbot doesn't allow you to do that for whatever reason :raise:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nice humble brag about getting pics in your DMs there

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Wait I thought Tweetbot did display images in DMs, you just couldn't send your own. Exposed

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Any good FB alternatives? I'm trying to get used to the "friendly" app UI and apparently it's notifications are broken. Would love to ditch messenger/FB app

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

maduin posted:

the other problem with tweetbot is that for some reason it's real broken and doesn't show like half the tweets in threads and is missing a ton of newer twitter features (polls?) and stuff because of API limitations.

I've only ever used Tweetbot until last week when I noticed a few people I followed were asking questions non stop, and upon trying the official app, saw that there were polls.

I'm still not sure of any new official features that aren't covered, just because I don't like that I can't pay for the ads to go away in the main app.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, I'm having an issue with gmail. I've got a contact with multiple email addresses (work/home etc) and when I share anything to gmail, it doesn't autocomplete addresses.

Any suggestions? I've removed/reinstalled it already, no joy.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Any good FB alternatives? I'm trying to get used to the "friendly" app UI and apparently it's notifications are broken. Would love to ditch messenger/FB app

Just use the mobile site tbh. I think you need to use the messenger app no matter what though

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, they got me to reinstall Messenger :( It was already pretty annoying when you had to close that "Soon, you'll have to use Messenger" dialogue every time you viewed any message in Safari but now it's the app or nothing.

Well, I could still get my messages in mobile Safari by requesting the desktop site and then loading the messages through there, but by that point, gently caress it I'll just deal with their lovely app.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yeah, they got me to reinstall Messenger :( It was already pretty annoying when you had to close that "Soon, you'll have to use Messenger" dialogue every time you viewed any message in Safari but now it's the app or nothing.

Well, I could still get my messages in mobile Safari by requesting the desktop site and then loading the messages through there, but by that point, gently caress it I'll just deal with their lovely app.

I gave up and installed Messenger for the first time ever today. Resisted it for so many years, they finally lured me in. poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For whatever reason my notifications aren't showing up as a badge icon on my Facebook app. I tried logging out on the app and then back in, turning them off and on again in the notifications part of settings.app, uninstalling/reinstalling the app, etc. Just doesn't seem to want to work.

I expect nothing less from this garbage app but I wonder why this is happening all of a sudden.