Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I mean, they're literally actors doing a show for entertainment

It has its moments. I watch it with him because D&D stuff is his and my bonding time thing and I can appreciate how much they get into it. I'd find it more than a little awkward if my friends from work all started high-fiveing at the table after beating an encounter in my game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I like in the Adventure Zone how Travis (the guy playing the fighter in a party of a fighter, cleric and wizard) is getting increasingly annoyed at the other characters increasingly world-bending magic powers while all he gets to do every turn is attack or attempt a convoluted succession of actions that through DM-fuckery (OK, roll opposed strength, now do an athletics check, OK now roll your unarmed damage plus one!) end up slightly less effective than just attacking.

And then he tries to fix the situation by multiclassing into rogue :negative:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

koreban posted:

It has its moments. I watch it with him because D&D stuff is his and my bonding time thing and I can appreciate how much they get into it. I'd find it more than a little awkward if my friends from work all started high-fiveing at the table after beating an encounter in my game though.

I'm not trash-talking it. I'm just saying people feeling weird that they pump up the emotion a bit more than ordinary adults would are kinda missing the point of the show. It's like complaining that a TV show is funnier than real life.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Do any of y'all have experience with printing large-scale dungeon maps? I'm wondering if it will look alright if I print out my dungeon on printer paper and stitch it together, or whether I should go to a printing place and use a large-format printer.

And if you print the whole dungeon out like that, what's the best method to conceal the unexplored parts of the dungeon from the party?

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Gort posted:

I like in the Adventure Zone how Travis (the guy playing the fighter in a party of a fighter, cleric and wizard) is getting increasingly annoyed at the other characters increasingly world-bending magic powers while all he gets to do every turn is attack or attempt a convoluted succession of actions that through DM-fuckery (OK, roll opposed strength, now do an athletics check, OK now roll your unarmed damage plus one!) end up slightly less effective than just attacking.

And then he tries to fix the situation by multiclassing into rogue :negative:

So much about how their game is played favors the spellcasters. TotM reduces friendly fire risk. Magic resistances aren't scaling to the degree that they normally would (party of three = weaker opponents; DM rolling a mere d4 to determine save modifiers for his homebrew stuff on the fly). And of course, as long-time podcasters, they're probably aware that HP gradually going to zero isn't the most exciting thing, so the DM feels some pressure to wrap combats up quickly, and what better to do that than :science: MAGIC :science:

The fast-and-loose way they play with the game rules just tilts it further. When Taaco cast Planar Binding it effectively hit the easy button on the remainder of the timeloop arc. Here's the thing: that spell takes an hour to cast, also known as "the amount of time before everything would blow up", but sure, you can cast it mid-combat as an action! Granted, even 5e co-creator Chris Perkins's table forgets to enforce casting times, but that wasn't the only thing bothering my inner rules lawyer. There are a good dozen 5th level wizard spells alone that I'd want to have over Planar Binding. Taaco wasn't spending time or money hunting down spells beyond the two he's given for free each level-up, so he could have had at most four, and he just so happened to have the exact thing he needed not only known but also prepared? Methinks he was ignoring that somewhat huge limitation.

So yeah, I'd hate to play a martial at Griffin's table, but the adventure structure is pretty neat, the PCs have great chemistry, and the editing makes it one of the few D&D podcasts I actually enjoy listening to.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'd love to hear about other dnd podcasts people enjoy listening to. They make great background listening generally but most I find are rather annoying.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Someone recommended it a while ago in this thread, I think, but I've really enjoyed Total Party Thrill. It's more advice based, not play, but it's super chill and pleasant to listen to.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Do any of y'all have experience with printing large-scale dungeon maps? I'm wondering if it will look alright if I print out my dungeon on printer paper and stitch it together, or whether I should go to a printing place and use a large-format printer.

And if you print the whole dungeon out like that, what's the best method to conceal the unexplored parts of the dungeon from the party?

https://rasterbator.net/

Choose to rasterbate with no effects, and you can make a printable map of nearly any size. If you are playing somewhere you can easily prep, you can tape or glue it together ahead of time, and maybe put other paper over top of parts you don't want the party to see. I usually just cut the pages out and set them loosely on the table though.

By a reading of the Rage rules, if you move towards the enemy and rage, you technically lose the rage since you haven't attacked and taken damage. Is that right?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Agent355 posted:

I'd love to hear about other dnd podcasts people enjoy listening to. They make great background listening generally but most I find are rather annoying.

I quite like total party thrill as well. Ken and Robin talk about stuff has two great game designers who will say interesting stuff. Some episodes are misses, but it's usually thoughtful and useful for DMing advice.

Agent355 posted:

I actively cringe everytime they roll dice and actually clap over the result. If it's not fake then they're all crazy but it's probably just played up for some reason.

I guess we don't clap, but when playing coop or D&D you often get 'oh, thank gently caress' or similar when it's down to the wire.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

By a reading of the Rage rules, if you move towards the enemy and rage, you technically lose the rage since you haven't attacked and taken damage. Is that right?

Yes but rage is a bonus action so there is no reason to activate it if you can't also swing at somebody, unless you wanted advantage on a strength check or something. Also the requirement drops away at higher levels so you can sustain your rage.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I guess we don't clap, but when playing coop or D&D you often get 'oh, thank gently caress' or similar when it's down to the wire.

Thats fine, I've definitely had surges of good/bad emotions over dice before, just not hopping up and down and yelling/clapping over every roll.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Slippery42 posted:

So yeah, I'd hate to play a martial at Griffin's table, but the adventure structure is pretty neat, the PCs have great chemistry, and the editing makes it one of the few D&D podcasts I actually enjoy listening to.

I'm almost certain Griffin isn't actually enforcing any requirement for spell memorisation. I think Taaco and Merle both just try and cast any spell off their respective spell lists when it is useful to them. They cast a lot of corner case spells at just the right time.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

thefakenews posted:

I'm almost certain Griffin isn't actually enforcing any requirement for spell memorisation. I think Taaco and Merle both just try and cast any spell off their respective spell lists when it is useful to them. They cast a lot of corner case spells at just the right time.

ha, that is total bullshit. no wonder the fighter got annoyed, you might as well go whole hog and let them never run out of spells

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

thefakenews posted:

TBF I don't think he's tracking Travis's superiority dice either, so he's just not concerned with resource tracking. The problem is those resources are magnitudes apart.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Agent355 posted:

Yes but rage is a bonus action so there is no reason to activate it if you can't also swing at somebody, unless you wanted advantage on a strength check or something. Also the requirement drops away at higher levels so you can sustain your rage.

Totem of the Bear gives me resistance to all but Psychic damage. Only reason I can really think of.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

thefakenews posted:

They also cast a lot of powerful spells instantly that have longer cast times (See Garyl) so they are given an even larger boost. Superiority die can't really compare even if Travis were trying to use them every round, which I would bet Griffin would call out.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pleads posted:

They also cast a lot of powerful spells instantly that have longer cast times (See Garyl) so they are given an even larger boost. Superiority die can't really compare even if Travis were trying to use them every round, which I would bet Griffin would call out.

In the same arc as Garyl, Merle used his action to cast Prayer of Healing, a spell with a 10-minute long cast time.

As much as I do like TAZ, it's this kind of thing that takes me out of it for a bit, and rubs me wrong. I know that narrative and GM goes above all (like with their spell slots coming back after a thing, or "let's say you can sure" stuff), but it seems that they don't even read their spells at times (and that's not mentioning the original Magic Missile is 3x1d4 thing, but that got fixed quickly)

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Serperoth posted:

it seems that they don't even read their spells at times

That seems like a strange thing to say given it's abundantly clear they never read their spells and don't even pretend that they do. The only reason Justin and Clint even know spells exist is because they made cheat sheets, and it would be too much to ask them to notice little details like the basic information listed at the top of every spell description.

I think everything about the way the McElroys play D&D makes more sense when you realize TAZ operates on improv theater logic rather than tabletop RPG logic. Griffin is reluctant to enforce the rules even in the rare cases where he actually knows them because he knows "yes, and"ing every stupid impossible thing someone wants to do makes for better radio. It would also make for a ludicrious, unplayable game of D&D if they were trying to play D&D, of course, but I don't think they are. And it's for the best, honestly, because all four of them are terrible at D&D and if they were actually trying to follow the rules I guarantee it would be a complete trainwreck.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 3, 2017

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Yeah, I love TAZ as a comedy/storytelling podcast. The D&D aspect of it is... not thorough or accurate, but it makes for a better piece of entertainment with the liberties it takes. The current arc would be basically unplayable at a normal table, requiring a huge amount of trust in the GM, but it's great to listen to.

I've met a few people who got interested in D&D through it, and were happy with the transition to more rules and structure but really got their imaginations kickstarted by the podcast. So that's a win-win, I think.

e: They also do a great job avoiding gross/creep territory and creating characters that are accessible to 'nontraditional' D&D players.

BadSamaritan fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 2, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I need suggestions for a neat Bard weapon that wouldn't just be obnoxious, OR suggestions for saxophone songs I can play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy1B3agGNxw&t=39s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGwDsrQ1eQ

I need more.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
Careless whisper, 5th level

Seduce anything with your sexy sexy saxophone sounds George Michael.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
SWORDFLUTE.

Or maybe these.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I need suggestions for a neat Bard weapon that wouldn't just be obnoxious, OR suggestions for saxophone songs I can play.

I need more.

I had a saxophone playing ghost in a Feng Shui campaign. In every combat, he would play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW9DN9YnXgc

It was the best

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3khH9ih2XJg

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I need more.

So I did this in my last session. Playing a dragon born bard who is basically vegeta, using a rapier as a sword flute green power ranger style. We'd been told not to hunt in the Forrest because of an angry fey Goddess. Naturally we did anyway. See something ahead that quickly disappeared behind a tree so I assume its her. Bust out my flute and link careless whisper in the group chat. Sadly I rolled a 5 for performance and it was actually an angry Oni.

I've had such a good time thinking up and finding ridiculous music weapons

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
My favorite dumb musical weapon is still the keyswordtar from old as heck website Homestar Runner that was still relevant when I was young

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
Since I kicked off house rule chat a few pages back. I thought I would give an update on how some of the changes have worked.

Last Saturday night we had a long session with a new player who made a Champion Fighter. He took Shield Fighter as his weapon style, and also took the Defender feat (or whatever the one that lets you use your reaction impose disadvantage on attacks against an adjacent ally). My house rules let fighters, among others, mark an enemy they attack as a bonus action. Opportunity attacks against the marked enemy don't use up a reaction (although you can still only do one OA a turn). Also you get the effects of the sentinel feat against marked enemies (you get an OA if they move away even by disengaging and reduce speed to 0 if you hit). Basically I am trying to make a ersatz 5E Defender role.

Between marking, shoving or proning with his bonus action and the ability to OA enemies that don't attack him and still use his reaction to impose disadvantage the fighter felt very tanky and he had plenty to think about on his turn and during enemy turns, despite being a Champion archetype. Overall I felt pretty happy wioth the results. I haven't had a chance to see what he thinks yet, as we played for like 6 hours and finished at 1am - so i wan't in the headspace for feedback.

I'm tempted to remove the bonus action cost from marking so he can use his shoves and prones all the time.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vengarr posted:

Everyone should have like 3 sets of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Erase-inch-Dungeon-Tiles/dp/B016H0TNFY

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

thefakenews posted:

I'm tempted to remove the bonus action cost from marking so he can use his shoves and prones all the time.

What you could do is simply make the Fighter automatically mark any enemy they targeted with an attack on their turn, just like in 4e (alhough I have to admit I can't quite remember the exacts of it, but that's how I recall it worked). That way once the Fighter starts getting extra attacks they're better off spreading the love around to multiple enemies instead of focusing on a single enemy, which also conceptually fits what the Defender role is supposed to be about (focusing fire on a single target is more of a Striker thing conceptually, at least in my mind).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Correct. The 4e Fighter could Mark an enemy just by attacking them, whether or not that attack hit or missed, and using Powers that let you attack multiple targets, such as Rain of Blows, Sweeping Blow, or Thicket of Blades, would mean all of those targets would be Marked.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Ratpick posted:

What you could do is simply make the Fighter automatically mark any enemy they targeted with an attack on their turn, just like in 4e (alhough I have to admit I can't quite remember the exacts of it, but that's how I recall it worked). That way once the Fighter starts getting extra attacks they're better off spreading the love around to multiple enemies instead of focusing on a single enemy, which also conceptually fits what the Defender role is supposed to be about (focusing fire on a single target is more of a Striker thing conceptually, at least in my mind).

Yeah, that's what I had in mind. I had been starting conservatively to see how the rule would work in a 5E context, but I don't think it being 4E style will be OP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's honestly enough "shared infrastructure" between 3e, 4e, and 5e that you could port over lots of mechanics, and really the only critical things to keep in mind would be the damage/health ratios, resource relationships and other mathy considerations, and when and how those features/abilities/powers are acquired.

I suppose that's sort of what people mean when they say that 5e is "open" and "rules-lite" enough that you could plug-in lots of stuff, in the same manner that you could also put in a Marking mechanic into OD&D if you wanted to.

It's just that, in both cases, you have to play armchair designer when you do it: which mechanics do you insert, how do you insert them, and how does that change the "balance" across the game, or even just across your playing group specifically.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I need more.

Inflict free-jazz on your friends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A3he2BN-1g

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Agent355 posted:

Easy Allies' Tabletop Escapades is good if you don't mind them being loose on the rules. Their previous Tabletop Adventures back when they were with Ganetrailers is much worse.

I also have a hard time getting into DnD podcasts, I feel like too many of them go for the comedy/random factor too often in gameplay and it's really grating.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
Jazz hands is a bonus action.

Please roll your 1d4 for flare bonus.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't know why I wrote Bard weapon instead of instrument. I asked the DM about using a saxophone, waiting on confirmation. He'll probably go for it. Now I just need to figure out a way to roleplay Dirk Gently, holistic detective and fantasy saxophonist.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
Buddy of mine is starting a new campaign and I was thinking of trying out a spellcaster since I've only played martial classes before. I'm trying to find ideas for fun, not necessarily "best" character builds. Does one class lend itself better to utility vs straight up damage? Are there any traps I should absolutely avoid?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Drider-Man posted:

Buddy of mine is starting a new campaign and I was thinking of trying out a spellcaster since I've only played martial classes before. I'm trying to find ideas for fun, not necessarily "best" character builds. Does one class lend itself better to utility vs straight up damage? Are there any traps I should absolutely avoid?

Wizards are hard to beat for utility. I like Divination because of Portent (take Lucky too) or Illusion if you want to gently caress around with the DM. No massive traps but some spells are lame while others will trivialize encounters.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Zodack posted:

Easy Allies' Tabletop Escapades is good if you don't mind them being loose on the rules. Their previous Tabletop Adventures back when they were with Ganetrailers is much worse.

I also have a hard time getting into DnD podcasts, I feel like too many of them go for the comedy/random factor too often in gameplay and it's really grating.

D&D is written to be taken seriously, but the design is such that characters end up looking like buffoons often enough that the façade crumbles.

Drider-Man posted:

As mentioned above, Wizards are good for utility; Sorcerers are more the blasty side of that coin, but have a very similar spell list.
It's been argued that Bard has the best control spells/mechanics, and their utility is pretty high, but they suck for damage.
Warlock has pretty absurdly-high utility, and steady damage output.
Cleric gets access to the strongest heal spells in the game, but your choice of domain really colours how you use the class; War and Tempest are the melee/weapon-focused ones, for someone who typically has a martial bent to their characters.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 3, 2017

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Cleric domain spells don't count against prepared skills, but do they expend spell slots? PHB doesn't seem super clear on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Thumbtacks posted:

Cleric domain spells don't count against prepared skills, but do they expend spell slots? PHB doesn't seem super clear on this.

Correct. They're always prepared but still cost spell slots to use.