Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was expecting more from Ethan considering he gets his arm and leg cut off and reattached like it was nothing, but he just turned out to be a normal, if surprisingly resilient, dude fueled by weird herbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah considering that kind of stuff is a main plot point everywhere else I thought there would be a reason behind it for Ethan but nope!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah considering that kind of stuff is a main plot point everywhere else I thought there would be a reason behind it for Ethan but nope!

I mean, its pretty heavily implied that he's infected by Eveline. Remarkable regeneration abilities aside, he also sees hallucinations and instructions from her. I forget if it was in the mine or on the ship, but there's a file that mentions an early stage of infection is seeing Eveline speaking to you.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
*catches a glimpse of an eight-legged monstrosity, that clearly was at one point a man, which retreats, screeching in inhuman tongue, into the excrement-filled tunnels of madness*

:geno: "That was... special."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

woodenchicken posted:

*catches a glimpse of an eight-legged monstrosity, that clearly was at one point a man, which retreats, screeching in inhuman tongue, into the excrement-filled tunnels of madness*

Most horror protagonists are pretty unflappable

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

woodenchicken posted:

His reaction to mutated Marguerite was amazing

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
he just chainsawd an invincible man. spider ladies are so whatever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The protag of Dark Corners is still the best because he has vertigo and will trip out like the Hitchcock movie but when facing a shoggoth he plainly states "this looks like a good hiding place"

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

1stGear posted:

I mean, its pretty heavily implied that he's infected by Eveline. Remarkable regeneration abilities aside, he also sees hallucinations and instructions from her. I forget if it was in the mine or on the ship, but there's a file that mentions an early stage of infection is seeing Eveline speaking to you.

Right but I thought the whole point was that everyone was infected but Ethan. That's why Eveline promises not to kill him and just holds him hostage instead. And when you're making the choice of who to give the serum to YOU are never a question. It seems pretty inconsistent as to whether or not Ethan is infected at all or if Evelyn is something...toying with the idea of infection him? Fake infection him?

And I just beat RE7. Boy does that go on longer than I expected. Everything after finding the ship feels like DLC or a bonus mission or something where it's not bad but it's just not as tight a game as what you had played prior. Also by the end I was loving armed to the teeth for no apparent reason.

e: so regarding the ending, Lucas and Zoe are still alive right? Umbrella said no survivors but there was no sign of their bodies either. Also with Redfield working for Umbrella with their fancy new logo are they now the good guys and cleaning up other corporations' bio weapons?

Oh and what happens if you try to cure Zoe instead?

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 31, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yodzilla posted:

Right but I thought the whole point was that everyone was infected but Ethan. That's why Eveline promises not to kill him and just holds him hostage instead. And when you're making the choice of who to give the serum to YOU are never a question. It seems pretty inconsistent as to whether or not Ethan is infected at all or if Evelyn is something...toying with the idea of infection him? Fake infection him?

And I just beat RE7. Boy does that go on longer than I expected. Everything after finding the ship feels like DLC or a bonus mission or something where it's not bad but it's just not as tight a game as what you had played prior. Also by the end I was loving armed to the teeth for no apparent reason.

e: so regarding the ending, Lucas and Zoe are still alive right? Umbrella said no survivors but there was no sign of their bodies either. Also with Redfield working for Umbrella with their fancy new logo are they now the good guys and cleaning up other corporations' bio weapons?

I don't know if Ethan himself is fully aware, but the game leans so heavily on "Yes, Ethan is infected" that they only thing left would be for them to outright say it. All the signs, from seeing Eveline to being communicated with after the Bakers' deaths via the hive mind, is proof enough.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I guess that's true. RIP Ethan, I sure played as you in a game I guess.

Also it's real dumb but I love that you find a receipt for having someone come out and install "shadow activated locks" in the house. Yeah okay let me just Angie's List the best contractor for that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Yodzilla posted:

Eveline kills Zoe, Mia turns into a boss and Ethan kills her, and Ethan is the only survivor rescued.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't know if Ethan himself is fully aware, but the game leans so heavily on "Yes, Ethan is infected" that they only thing left would be for them to outright say it. All the signs, from seeing Eveline to being communicated with after the Bakers' deaths via the hive mind, is proof enough.

He sort of comments on it during the guest house redux, when he goes "why am I seeing this?" after he starts encountering hallucinations of Mia attacking him. It isn't until the very end that he realizes child Eveline is also a hallucination. I can't tell how much of it is Ethan being willfully dense and how much is Ethan running on adrenaline and not putting poo poo together because he's in perma shock.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yeah there's way too much poo poo pointing to it for it to be accidental.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Unless I'm forgetting something obvious I thought they pretty blatantly tell you that Ethan is infected in the game. I see no other way to interpret the lines from Jack about how "[Ethan] is part of the family now".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yodzilla posted:

I guess that's true. RIP Ethan, I sure played as you in a game I guess.

Also it's real dumb but I love that you find a receipt for having someone come out and install "shadow activated locks" in the house. Yeah okay let me just Angie's List the best contractor for that.

This is the Resident Evil world where puzzle doors are apparently just a thing.

quote:

Construction of the mansionEdit
George Trevor was originally a prominent architect based in New York, known for his ingenuity and intelligence.[notes 1] One of the trademark gimmicks of his work was the existence of secret halls and rooms, and often enough panels that served as protective or deterring devices, as well as booby traps.[1]

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

This is the Resident Evil world where puzzle doors are apparently just a thing.

Tbh an architect being an irrational dick for aesthetic reasons isn't too farfetched in real life

You should have gone with the guy who decided to make a chess themed lock for literally no reason to open the sewage plant in RE2 instead :v

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

exploded mummy posted:

You should have gone with the guy who decided to make a chess themed lock for literally no reason to open the sewage plant in RE2 instead :v

The Raccoon City Manager did not take his forced retirement well at all.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
are shadow activated doors a thing?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tired Moritz posted:

are shadow activated doors a thing?

Are mask activated locks a thing?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Len posted:

Are mask activated locks a thing?

Yes.

Magnets let us do a lot of poo poo.

Yodzilla posted:

Well, considering that it was all done by the same guy who built the spencer mansion stuff, it makes sense :P

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FirstAidKite posted:

Yes.

Magnets let us do a lot of poo poo.

Well, considering that it was all done by the same guy who built the spencer mansion stuff, it makes sense :P

It was the most ridiculous lock I could think of off the top of my head. I'm not sure if I would buy them locking the crimson head elder up with magnet masks though

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

1stGear posted:

You joke but it was actually a big plot point that the police chief was a batshit insane murderer and rapist with a weird art fetish, and that was how Umbrella was blackmailing/rewarding him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

1stGear posted:

In order to open the gates to City Hall there's a inexplicable clock on the outside of the property made of precious gems.

Taking one of the gems is enough to shut and lock the gate.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

exploded mummy posted:

In order to open the gates to City Hall there's a inexplicable clock on the outside of the property made of precious gems.

Taking one of the gems is enough to shut and lock the gate.
I'd like to think this kind of nonsense is the actual reason that Raccoon City was nuked.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

You joke but it was actually a big plot point that the police chief was a batshit insane murderer and rapist with a weird art fetish, and that was how Umbrella was blackmailing/rewarding him.

There are no bathrooms in the RPD.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Raxivace posted:

I'd like to think this kind of nonsense is the actual reason that Raccoon City was nuked.

exploded mummy posted:

There are no bathrooms in the RPD.

Whole city was just filthy with brain diseases.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I've seen some RE7 = FEAR comparisons and apparently the same writer worked on both.

Does anyone think there's significance to never clearly seeing Ethan's face?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Would Nioh be considered a horror game since it deals in Yokais and tragedies that turn people into monsters?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/resident-evil-7-whats-next-for-the-franchise-

'Resident Evil can't be financially successful if it isn't like 5 :smug:'

Why the gently caress can't we have a nice horror game without someone saying 'more action'?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Resident Evil has been as much about arcadey action as its horror facade since like, RE2 at the very latest. Even the first game rewarded you with a rocket launcher for speedrunning it quickly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Would Nioh be considered a horror game since it deals in Yokais and tragedies that turn people into monsters?

In the same way you'd say Bloodborne is a horror game. Which I would say "not really" because it's mood is action but the aesthetic is undeniably horror.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Raxivace posted:

Resident Evil has been as much about arcadey action as its horror facade since like, RE2 at the very latest. Even the first game rewarded you with a rocket launcher for speedrunning it quickly.

"Going back to our roots that we abandoned after one game."

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I've seen some RE7 = FEAR comparisons and apparently the same writer worked on both.

Does anyone think there's significance to never clearly seeing Ethan's face?

Faceless protagonist syndrome! :haw:

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Just finished two playthroughs of RE7. The game is great, but I definitely have to say it bogs down a bit after you leave the house and on to the ship. I get you can't do much with a derelict, grime covered ship, but I found the house to be much more aesthetically pleasing and fun to navigate. Then you move to the mine, which is nothing special and mostly just the game saying "Hey, you're almost done. Here are a poo poo ton of enemies." I wish they had made the lab bigger.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I think the ship would be fine if you didn't have to play through the first time on the tape. Having to do the same area twice in a row is a little tiring.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
RE7 has definitely got really good environments, they're all pretty cool and interesting, but they just could not think of a good reason for anything after the dockside syringe scene to happen. "SWAMP MONSTER!" and then you just keep playing awhile because there's no way other than forward.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why does this "goes on too long, overstays its welcome, adds a ton of needless padding to the back end" thing always seem to happen to horror games? It's horrible.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

A. Beaverhausen posted:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/resident-evil-7-whats-next-for-the-franchise-

'Resident Evil can't be financially successful if it isn't like 5 :smug:'

Why the gently caress can't we have a nice horror game without someone saying 'more action'?

I like how this article looks at units sold as a measure of success and not things like the actual budget a game had versus sales and revenue. I'm going to bet that Capcom didn't have 600+ people working on RE7 and that it was made comparatively on the cheap.

Basically that article is "RE7 is fine and I'm glad they took a new direction but here's the thing, what if it was exactly like RE6 instead."

GlyphGryph posted:

Why does this "goes on too long, overstays its welcome, adds a ton of needless padding to the back end" thing always seem to happen to horror games? It's horrible.

Because horror games rely on being scary as a gameplay point. When that's removed from the game you just have a kinda bad action/adventure game. See also: the back third of Outlast.

It's not strictly a horror game thing though. RE7's back half reminded me in more than one way of how Crysis takes a weird turn.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Yodzilla posted:

Because horror games rely on being scary as a gameplay point. When that's removed from the game you just have a kinda bad action/adventure game. See also: the back third of Outlast.

No, I mean, why do they feel the need to just keep going well after that are done? Why can't they just say enough is enough, we've done what we set out to do, and now it's time to wrap it up to a satisfying conclusion without adding in several additional hours of padding?