Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Niven posted:

$700Subaru.jpg

it took a while

I think you have a bit of a rust problem. There's not much left of that one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bajaha posted:

I think you have a bit of a rust problem. There's not much left of that one...

Kevbarlas can fix it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Nah, it's still good. Zip tie the rotors to the axle, make a seat out of the oil pan and you're already halfway to a whole car!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

TacoHavoc posted:

Thank you to everyone for answering all of the questions I had on the forester head gasket job. The car is back on the road, seems to be running well. Notes from the job:

1. If I were to do it again I'd probably just buck up and buy an engine hoist. Getting the heads back on without knicking a gasket was a little scary.
2. Double check the timing cover for underside bolts. I missed one and snapped the passenger side outer timing cover. Whoops. $20 mistake.
3. I replaced all of the timing cover and valve cover bolts. Some of the ones I removed were in terrible shape for 6 year old metal.
4. Simplex machine in Providence RI turned my heads around in less than 24 hours for $165. Side note, diesel truck motors have camshafts about as long as lacrosse sticks.
5. I did an ATF drain and refill (~4 quarts) while I was in there. When you're scrambling to try and finish the job, don't pour ATF into the front diff. There is more than one rear-engine-compartment dipstick in a Subaru. Oh god I'm an idiot. I drained and refilled with 75w-90.
6. When you turn the car back on the first time, that fucker is going to smoke. I almost lost my mind when that happened. Turns out I was burning off all the oil/coolant that had run onto the exhaust shields.

Now that the car is back together I have one sort of lingering problem. Starting at 25 mph, there is a fairly high pitched whining sound that is roadspeed related. It almost sounds like a whistling or the sound a brake makes when the warning tab is dragging. I have checked all the brakes, they were done about 6 months ago and everything is fine there. What else should I check?

Congrats!

I always feel like I've mastered a skill just in time to not use it again. The other benefit to owning a hoist is that you can deep fry turkey dinners.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

TacoHavoc posted:

Now that the car is back together I have one sort of lingering problem. Starting at 25 mph, there is a fairly high pitched whining sound that is roadspeed related. It almost sounds like a whistling or the sound a brake makes when the warning tab is dragging. I have checked all the brakes, they were done about 6 months ago and everything is fine there. What else should I check?

Check the diff maybe?

I know the manuals can sometimes get a transmission whine, but I don't think I've heard anyone complain about it on an auto. Check your bushings.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Wheel bearings?

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Melb Subaru goons - it's looking like we're coming down to Melbourne for Rally Victoria in March. Feel like being part of the crew and scoring free passes or Rally Bad Boyz poo poo?

Yeah would love to as well if it doesn't interfere with work times.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

underage at the vape shop posted:

E: you also cant go 100 until the sign and if the signs at the end of the onramp you are expected to merge at way below the speed of traffic. Traffic cops have created a culture of staring at your speedo instead of the road and if you slow down when you see a cop, thats enough justification for an rbt and rdt depending on the cops mood. Its happened to my friend in a hyundai excel so its not a hoon targeting thing either. The way they act its no wonder the publics convinced they have quotas

Yeah, I've posted about this before and deal with it every day with this merge. Super long onramp that is only 70kph until the 100kph sign right before hitting the freeway. They occasionally park a speed camera van right before the 100kph sign.

They've actually tweaked this merge recently to make it even shorter, I've never merged at anything faster than 80kph when stuck behind another car.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Patrol cops and the ones that respond to domestic cases have been some of the nicest people I've met, but traffic cops are all little hitlers and deserve the poo poo they get.

E: I'm pretty salty that every time I drive past an rbt they obviously save me a spot and then make me wait round for a drug test too.

Auslaw: bad

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 31, 2017

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

literally a fish posted:

The 2.5Ls don't really blow headgaskets down here as badly as they do up in the US, for some reason (fuel quality related?). Most of the early-mid 2000s 2.5s have leaky valvecovers but that seems to be about it. I've seen as many 2Ls with blown HGs as 2.5s, and the EJ251s are a more common motor (thanks to them seemingly being inside nearly every 4cyl NA forester, liberty and outback for 15+ years)

You could probably buy a 2.5 that has a blown headgasket (they're on gumtree here and there for peanuts) and get the HGs replaced/replace the HGs for less than the total cost of buying one in good condition, too, so that might be worth considering. Fresh shiny engine components are always great for peace of mind.

FWIW I'm in Vic also (up near eltham) and have both a two post lift and more experience with subaru engine nonsense than I'd like to have - I'm happy to help in any way I might be able to :sun:

Thanks so much! That's a very generous offer! I plan on doing some more of my own work so might actually take you up on it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The 2.5 in Australia simply doesnt have the same head gasket issues. And it definantly doenst have that issue in the 04-06 RS -That's a good solid car.... altho how you would find one that hasnt been hosed over by a P-Plater since the turbo ban is beyond me. If you find a good one hug it as it's rapidly becoming a unicorn

Fantastic, thats great info that was way too hard to find online.

The car I'm looking at is from a dealer, which is typically a no-no for me, but this thing is so clean and un-hosed with I'm going to get a subaru-recommended mechanic (Cromwood Auto Service in Burwood) to do a prepurchase inspection for me. The price is on the higher end ($7000) since it doesn't seem to have many fancy options and has 185k, so if it comes back good I'll low-ball him with $6k and see what he comes back with.

These are my test drive notes in no particular order. Having never driven a subaru before some of this stuff might be nothing. I'll be relying on the mechanic for a more informed opinion.

• Everything seemed clean, couldn’t spot any accident damage. front bumper seems wobbly but might have just been like that. Minor scratches on both sides of front and rear bumper, so they havent been resprayed/replaced recently.
  • Couldn’t see any panels of different colour
  • Cant see anything at all that has been modified.
  • Some metal clanging sound from the rear when stopped. Im pretty sure it was the hook dangling inside the spare tyre rim.
  • No sounds from power steering system
  • Could get it to bunnyhop/jerk when going down a steep hill in second if i bumped the throttle. I could do this with both my other cars so i don’t think this is noteworthy. Is there a term for this?
  • Non-DBW, yay (?)
  • Defs has ej25
  • Engine bay very clean, couldn’t find leaks anywhere, had just been detailed yesterday so not much learned here.
  • Some windows seemed fucky. Might just be used to superior german window regulators
  • Seal at top of rear passenger door would get caught on window when rolling it down, and it would flick back up. Maybe a result of glass being cleaned. Actual door seal wasn’t loose though
  • Has roof racks (yay) and included plate for bike rack (?)
  • Door cards are loose and sound awful. used to bmw doors i guess
  • No sunroof
  • Don’t think the visor had a light in it, didn’t check
  • Headlights need polishing, didn’t look like they had been replaced recently
  • No floor mats - might have been in the middle of cleaning them?
  • Gearbox felt really nice, very crisp.
  • Good throttle response
  • Visibility seemed oddly worse than the BMW. maybe its the big c-pillars?
  • Started on first crank when it was cold. Turned over 3 times before catching when it was hot. Will let mechanic figure that one out
  • Nice to be in a japanese car again - everything is where i expect it
  • AC blew cold. Climate control-lite
  • All the knobs and dials were nice
  • Radio reception was awful. No idea why. Had original head unit (!) with dual-din slot (bottom slot unused)

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 31, 2017

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Melb Subaru goons - it's looking like we're coming down to Melbourne for Rally Victoria in March. Feel like being part of the crew and scoring free passes or Rally Bad Boyz poo poo?

btw I'd be up for this! What kind of stuff do you need done? Logistics/transport? Pounding expensive car bits with hammers?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Granite Octopus posted:

btw I'd be up for this! What kind of stuff do you need done? Logistics/transport? Pounding expensive car bits with hammers?

All the above!

17-19th March. West of Melbourne, I believe close to Ballarat. No need to be available for the full three days.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hello, Subaru thread! I just drove home in my new (to me) Outback and was told to report here for my free flannel shirt and/or lesbian book club membership.

e: Anybody got some good seatcover recommendations? I gotta put like a whole shitpot of dogs in the back of this thing.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 1, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

... There was a book club membership? WHY WASNT I TOLD THIS???

Edit : Post pics of Outback pls

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

... There was a book club membership? WHY WASNT I TOLD THIS???

Edit : Post pics of Outback pls

Yes but I was told we're only allowed to read Virginia Woolf novels.

it's dark as poo poo here and I have the world's smallest garage, so enjoy the front half of my Outback until I can take some better pictures :D

2011 3.6R Limited in Ruby Red Pearl, with 97k on the odo

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Don't worry too much about the dog thing. You have 15 days before your car is required to smell like wet dog.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Beet Wagon posted:

Hello, Subaru thread! I just drove home in my new (to me) Outback and was told to report here for my free flannel shirt and/or lesbian book club membership.

e: Anybody got some good seatcover recommendations? I gotta put like a whole shitpot of dogs in the back of this thing.

The NAC&ZAC seat cover on Amazon with side flaps is perfect in our Forester: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HI762M8/ref=sr_ph_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485945080&sr=sr-2&keywords=NAC%26ZAC

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Yes but I was told we're only allowed to read Virginia Woolf novels.

it's dark as poo poo here and I have the world's smallest garage, so enjoy the front half of my Outback until I can take some better pictures :D

2011 3.6R Limited in Ruby Red Pearl, with 97k on the odo

I should add a Outback to my Subaru collection.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm happy with the Amazon basics seat covers:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Waterproof-Bench-Seat-Cover/dp/B00QHC02EY

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Naked Bear posted:

Don't worry too much about the dog thing. You have 15 days before your car is required to smell like wet dog.

Every. Goddamned. One. Of. Them. They all smell like loving dogs. The used ones. Even mine smells like little shithead poodle dog piss when it rains a lot. loving dogs.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Naked Bear posted:

Oh perfect, that'll give me plenty of time to let this idiot get real ripe before I dump him on my beige leather :D

Anybody have any experience with the roof bars on these things? I've got a big dumb 13.5 foot kayak to haul around and it weighs like 75 goddamn pounds and I'm trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet and get another set of aerobars (the ones for my 2015 Focus are too long because of course they are) or not.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The most Subaru post ever.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh perfect, that'll give me plenty of time to let this idiot get real ripe before I dump him on my beige leather :D

Anybody have any experience with the roof bars on these things? I've got a big dumb 13.5 foot kayak to haul around and it weighs like 75 goddamn pounds and I'm trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet and get another set of aerobars (the ones for my 2015 Focus are too long because of course they are) or not.

I'm fairly certain the outback's roof bars pop up and swing across to the opposite side. My Dad's '15 does at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixKNWTFn2jo

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The most Subaru post ever.

Not quite, I moved away from Oregon a couple years ago.

BloodBag posted:

I'm fairly certain the outback's roof bars pop up and swing across to the opposite side. My Dad's '15 does at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixKNWTFn2jo

Yeah mine swing out and lock into the other side, I just wasn't sure if they were generally thought of as being good or not. I'm gonna toss the kayak on the roof and give it a test run today.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

That roof rack is cool as heck, I'm jealous.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Cobb AP stage 1 for my 2006 Saabaru - worth it? The car isn't fun unless I drive like an rear end in a top hat and rear end in a top hat mode usually doesn't happen until boost comes on at 3500.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

Cobb AP stage 1 for my 2006 Saabaru - worth it? The car isn't fun unless I drive like an rear end in a top hat and rear end in a top hat mode usually doesn't happen until boost comes on at 3500.

I got knock on the Cobb Stage 1 on my 06 WRX but it could have been the garbage gas I was burning. Pro-tune woke it up and stopped the knocks.

Strongly suggest just going whole hog and downpiping it. Not doing so is my greatest regret.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
... do the stock tunes really take that long to spool? I'm at DIY Stage 1 (lol) on my Bugeye and full boost is about a thousand RPM better than that.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Have you considered a turbo back, injectors, pump, intake, and big loving turbo?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

jamal posted:

Have you considered a turbo back, injectors, pump, intake, and big loving turbo?

... well, *I* have.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Since it seems relevant, what would be the best bang for the buck for someone who is clueless about cars but wants to get work done on a 2014 WRX? ECU and a downpipe? Like, how much we talking here for the hardware and to have someone do it?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You don't need a whole ecu, just a reflash/tune of the stock one. The preferred way to do that is with a Cobb Accessport. They come with ready to use maps and are pretty straightforward to use. You install the AP which plugs into the odb port, flash the map appropriate for your parts, and you're good. Then the AP also can act as a logger, gauge, and diagnostic tool. It will read and clear codes and display CAN information. There is a benefit to having a tuner with a dyno create your map but cobb does offer some tweaks to the standard ones if fuel trims or boost are not where they should be.

Accessports go for like $600, downpipes with a high flow cat are in the $500 range. Installation would maybe be $150? It's pretty straightforward. I carry an assortment of exhausts and other parts but I'm not a cobb dealer. They kind of only like actual tuners and big shops to be selling those although I'm working on it.

Optional add ons with the downpipe would be the rest of the exhaust and/or an intake, possibly a fuel pump.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 3, 2017

blk
Dec 19, 2009

jamal posted:

I don't want that much out of the car, it's just a nice to have.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jamal posted:

You don't need a whole ecu, just a reflash/tune of the stock one. The preferred way to do that is with a Cobb Accessport. They come with ready to use maps and are pretty straightforward to use. You install the AP which plugs into the odb port, flash the map appropriate for your parts, and you're good. Then the AP also can act as a logger, gauge, and diagnostic tool. It will read and clear codes and display CAN information. There is a benefit to having a tuner with a dyno create your map but cobb does offer some tweaks to the standard ones if fuel trims or boost are not where they should be.

Accessports go for like $600, downpipes with a high flow cat are in the $500 range. Installation would maybe be $150? It's pretty straightforward. I carry an assortment of exhausts and other parts but I'm not a cobb dealer. They kind of only like actual tuners and big shops to be selling those although I'm working on it.

Optional add ons with the downpipe would be the rest of the exhaust and/or an intake, possibly a fuel pump.

Thanks Jamal. When I have the money to blow I will definitely reach and get whatever parts I can from you.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

There's no such thing as a non-rotated T3 flanged uppipe is there? Because I don't really feel like being tied to the dumb Subaru flange.

(I need to build a motor first, stock EJ205 won't do well with what I have in mind)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Possibly try yimisport. I think they have crammed Borg Warner EFRs in the stock location, maybe with parts from full-race. On the other hand. having a big free-flowing intake and exhaust makes a big difference as far as spool and peak power go.

blk posted:

I don't want that much out of the car, it's just a nice to have.

The "stage 1" flash will generally give a nice bump in power and torque plus a smoother power band. Plus APs do other stuff and it makes upgrading from there is easier.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah, the Full Race stock location setup or Killer B's Spoolinator is what I have in mind to emulate - but I'm looking more at a S256 rather than an EFR due to pricing differences and this just being a street car rather than something where I'm interesting in eking every last bit out of it. Oh well, guess I can just make my own. Only shooting for maybe 400whp - depending on powerband as I'd prefer to keep to 5-speed-friendly torque levels.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Photos from a 2016 WRX with the FA engine that my son got today. Apparantly this is due to the design of the the PCV and how it works with direct injection.

Jamal, maybe you can sell some Air/Oil Seperators.

It also is the first 2016 WRX with a spun bearing he has worked on. (#4 piston)

daslog fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 3, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

GG the 17 year old neglected GT motor had less crap in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

daslog posted:

Photos from a 2016 WRX with the FA engine that my son got today. Apparantly this is due to the design of the the PC and how it works with direct injection.

Jamal, maybe you can sell some Air/Oil Seperators.

It also is the first 2016 WRX with a spun bearing he has worked on. (#4 piston)

Water injection gets rid of that crap on the back of the valves on the 2015s I've seen. If I had one of these I would be rocking it.