Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

bean_shadow posted:

While this post isn't as bad, I wanted to address a trend I've noticed that since Trump is such a terrible President, suddenly people like Bush don't seem so bad, especially when people like Dick Cheney and Lindsey Graham speak up against him. And while they aren't as bad as Trump, that doesn't mean we need to re-write history and forget that Bush and Cheney, and even Graham, have done real damage to this country that will take a long time to fix (if ever). The thing is, is that I've noticed Democrats doing this. Sharing quotes by Bush, thanking Cheney and Graham. There's no way in hell Bush wasn't prejudice against Muslims. Trump is just extremely obvious and out of control about it. Many Republicans are rightfully jumping ship and already distancing themselves from Trump but that doesn't make them heroes, it's what they should do and should have done before he was elected.

It's drat near impossible to judge a Presidency until decades after they've left office. Clinton's stature keeps declining while unpopular Presidents like Carter and LBJ are being judged better by history.

I'm not saying Bush is going to be ranked with the good Presidents, but his wars may be over shadowed by his push to stop AIDS in Africa. Just like all the good Obama did domestically could be overshadowed by Syria and the rise of ISIS. It takes a generation or two to shake everything out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's drat near impossible to judge a Presidency until decades after they've left office. Clinton's stature keeps declining while unpopular Presidents like Carter and LBJ are being judged better by history.

I'm not saying Bush is going to be ranked with the good Presidents, but his wars may be over shadowed by his push to stop AIDS in Africa. Just like all the good Obama did domestically could be overshadowed by Syria and the rise of ISIS. It takes a generation or two to shake everything out.

But Obama is already by far the worst president in American history and every piece of his legacy is utterly destroying everything good about America?????

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I distinctly remember when I was in high school and Bush was viewed as Literal Hitler and we were on the verge of living in a dictatorship while being moved into plastic FEMA coffins

All these years later and now Bush somehow looks appealing compared to our current setup

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think history will be relatively kind to bush. Iraq, is the obvious black mark, the black sites, torture, the recession... but There was that giant medicaid expansion. He at least seemed to genuinely care about America even if I horribly disagreed with him. There was the whole corporate kleptocracy thing, but that was more Cheney's bag, and at least they realized government stability was necessary. He wasn't a walking constitutional crisis threatening global stability with every tweet. think he'd be easy to get along with in person, and could probably have a civil discourse about politics with him.

I mean faint praise, but that's where we are as a country

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

goose willis posted:

we were on the verge of living in a dictatorship while being moved into plastic FEMA coffins
I've had to quit telling this joke as of late and I'm pissed. :mad:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There's going to be a picture of Bush dodging a shoe in future textbooks; it's a guarantee.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The key difference between Bush and Trump is that the former is well-meaning stupid and the latter is aggressive stupid

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gaunab posted:

There's going to be a picture of Bush dodging a shoe in future textbooks; it's a guarantee.

In the future textbooks will be able to display the whole animated gif.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nuebot posted:

In the future textbooks will be able to display the whole animated gif.

In the future that animated gif will be the entire textbook.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

In the future that animated gif will be the entire textbook.

Children will learn entirely through memes. This is a change I can get behind.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

TinTower posted:

While you weren't believing in conspiracy theories, I studied the blade.

I saw the thumbnail and read this as "repel the next generation." And I almost agreed.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Krispy Kareem posted:

the only good president we ever had or will have is fdr. Please donate to my kick started where I plan to reanimate his skeleton and have him run in 2020.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bean_shadow posted:

While this post isn't as bad, I wanted to address a trend I've noticed that since Trump is such a terrible President, suddenly people like Bush don't seem so bad, especially when people like Dick Cheney and Lindsey Graham speak up against him. And while they aren't as bad as Trump, that doesn't mean we need to re-write history and forget that Bush and Cheney, and even Graham, have done real damage to this country that will take a long time to fix (if ever). The thing is, is that I've noticed Democrats doing this. Sharing quotes by Bush, thanking Cheney and Graham. There's no way in hell Bush wasn't prejudice against Muslims. Trump is just extremely obvious and out of control about it. Many Republicans are rightfully jumping ship and already distancing themselves from Trump but that doesn't make them heroes, it's what they should do and should have done before he was elected.

Give people credit where they're due. Even Bush said not to blame all Muslims for 9/11. The speech in question:

quote:

I also want to speak tonight directly to Muslims throughout the world. We respect your faith. It's practiced freely by many millions of Americans and by millions more in countries that America counts as friends. Its teachings are good and peaceful, and those who commit evil in the name of Allah blaspheme the name of Allah. The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to hijack Islam itself. The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends. It is not our many Arab friends. Our enemy is a radical network of terrorists and every government that supports them.

It was a perfectly good thing for a president to say in the aftermath of an attack, and it's a perfectly good sentiment for today. I've shared this one myself, mainly as a "Look, even Bush thinks this is bullshit, how is anyone else cool with this?" thing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Then we watched Bush start a loving war

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

Then we watched Bush start a loving war

And the war was loving atrocious, but I have conservative family, and there are only so many things that can be said that I think may get into their thick, stupid skulls. I'll take "words I don't disagree with from a guy I did disagree with".

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 04:05 on Feb 1, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Some complete rando (unverified account with about 400 followers) paid money to promote the most generic smuggo atheist comment ever.

https://twitter.com/PJZNY/status/826599895444365316

This was genuinely promoted into my feed.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Feb 1, 2017

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Most of the liberals I know sharing relevant Bush quotes are doing it so they can get their point across without the conservatives being able to challenge it / talk poo poo (and hey maybe they'll internalize it?). At least I think that's why they're doing it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Shots

https://twitter.com/Hiraghm/status/826439526566465536

https://twitter.com/Hiraghm/status/825737724044963840

https://twitter.com/Hiraghm/status/824735811388178433

Chaser

https://twitter.com/Hiraghm/status/826473771871637505

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

goose willis posted:

I distinctly remember when I was in high school and Bush was viewed as Literal Hitler and we were on the verge of living in a dictatorship while being moved into plastic FEMA coffins

All these years later and now Bush somehow looks appealing compared to our current setup

I remember people freaking out after Bush won the reelection. Like, walking around shell-shocked and crying. Things are hosed now, but a decade down the line when something worse comes up, we'll be looking back at this presidency as the good ol days.

:smith:

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

hyperhazard posted:

I remember people freaking out after Bush won the reelection. Like, walking around shell-shocked and crying. Things are hosed now, but a decade down the line when something worse comes up, we'll be looking back at this presidency as the good ol days.

I got my visa to come to the US right after Bush was reelected for a second term. People kept asking me if I was sure I wanted to move, if it was the right thing.

Now people are asking if I'm going to leave. Unfortunately I'm from the UK so the other option I'm facing is Brexit. :sigh:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Otana posted:

I got my visa to come to the US right after Bush was reelected for a second term. People kept asking me if I was sure I wanted to move, if it was the right thing.

Now people are asking if I'm going to leave. Unfortunately I'm from the UK so the other option I'm facing is Brexit. :sigh:

You think that's bad? My other country is Israel. :smithicide:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man I haven't seen the spelling "Moslem" since like 1995.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DID YOU JUST COMPARE BIRMINGHAM DECLARING ITSELF A SANCTUARY CITY AND THE GOVERNOR THREATENING TO REMOVE THEIR FEDERAL FUNDING TO THE LITTLE ROCK NINE AND THE LITTLE ROCK CRISIS?!

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 07:21 on Feb 1, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Remember when idiots were all about States Rights? All of a sudden Federal Law takes precedent over State, huh?

Oh right, there is no longer a Black man sitting as the POTUS.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Just clicked on the tweets to see who the hell this guy is. First thing I saw - huge John Galt quote. Ewwwww.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

hyperhazard posted:

I remember people being unhappy when he won reelection because he really shouldn't have but I don't recall freak outs, crying, gnashing of teeth, etc. Also, Bush and Cheney weren't trying to transform the country into a Man in the High Castle LARP.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Man I haven't seen the spelling "Moslem" since like 1995.

Go check out the Freep thread in D&D. Those bastards love that spelling. The site is a time capsule from 1999 but lets not think about that.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Don't they use colonial terms like Mohammadeans

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

DID YOU JUST COMPARE BIRMINGHAM DECLARING ITSELF A SANCTUARY CITY AND THE GOVERNOR THREATENING TO REMOVE THEIR FEDERAL FUNDING TO THE LITTLE ROCK NINE AND THE LITTLE ROCK CRISIS?!

Haha, that was a quick turnaround from states rights. I wonder what they'll claim the totally justified cause for the CSA seceding was now.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Don't they use colonial terms like Mohammadeans

Mahometans. Reddit types have gone all in on those crusader memes and turned them unironic, so I wouldn't be surprised to see saracen cropping up in right wing discourse too.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Gotta make a moor-ban or things will get out of control quickly.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Ambitious Spider posted:

I think history will be relatively kind to bush. Iraq, is the obvious black mark, the black sites, torture, the recession...

Don't forget the Patriot Act. I think all of those things are enough to keep him solidly in the bottom 10, especially when you add in the clusterfuck way he got elected to begin with.

Also, for content, this comic:

Was met with this reply:

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Do... do you actually know what the 1st amendment is? "Taxes should be higher" vs. "taxes should be lower" is a disagreement with grounds for engagement, "Taxes should be higher" vs. "gas the Jews" is not. I mean the government can't arrest you for either, but don't be surprised if the latter gets you bounced off the B'nai Brith awards committee.

P sure the first would get you bounced off too.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

Gotta make a moor-ban or things will get out of control quickly.

I think you mean a moop-ban.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

hanales posted:

Please - White Supremacists would never ban moobs - they'd lost 90% of their members.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

hanales posted:

Quality.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I remember people being unhappy when he won reelection because he really shouldn't have but I don't recall freak outs, crying, gnashing of teeth, etc. Also, Bush and Cheney weren't trying to transform the country into a Man in the High Castle LARP.

No, people did freak out just as much in 2004 as in 2016. And people certainly did think Bush and Co. was trying to set up a dictatorship. I remember liberals freaking out about Bush's re-election. And now they're trying to say, "We didn't freak out. Not like Trump." Yes, we did.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/Hiraghm/status/825359249383493634

What does "reparations for dogs and horses" even mean? :crossarms:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

on the bored wop posted:

'black people are animals, and should be grateful for the enlightened rule of whitey'

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

on the bored wop posted:

It means if we are to pay reparations for slavery then we should also pay it to dogs and horses because black people are literally animals. Also slavery was a good thing, not so much standing upon the shoulders of giants as standing upon the backs of the oppressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bean_shadow posted:

No, people did freak out just as much in 2004 as in 2016. And people certainly did think Bush and Co. was trying to set up a dictatorship. I remember liberals freaking out about Bush's re-election. And now they're trying to say, "We didn't freak out. Not like Trump." Yes, we did.

Granted I was in middle school, but I think I'd remember if 1% of the entire population hit the streets the day after Bush's second inauguration.