Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

So has anyone played Quell4D yet? It is absolutely criminal how underrated this game is. Amazing VR experience. It's basically a 90s era FPS in the style of Doom or Blake Stone where all the enemies are sprites rather than 3D models. The levels and weapons themselves are fully 3D however. The sprites actually work very well (I feel the game has more character and is extra gory because of it) and as a VR experience with artificial locomotion it's pretty amazing. It definitely feels like what I imagined VR would be like in the 90s, and I love the surreal feeling of having presence inside a 90s era FPS.

I rank this game as highly as Superhot VR. I highly recommend this game if you're looking for a challenging full game that won't be over in 30 minutes.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
What about what Sixense did with the Razer Hydra and the STEM system? They used magnetic fields to determine controller position (they claim 1mm and 1 degree precision, but I have no idea how that actually works out in practice). Couldn't that be a solution to the inside-out controller problem? Just have the headset itself be the "base station".

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I've recently come across the term "Full Dive Virtual Reality" which is basically the Matrix, and there are some crazy hopeful people out there that think it'll be ready by 2025 :crossarms:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Full Dive is the device from Sword Art Online.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I look forward to experiencing full dive VR in my self-driving flying car (charged from an outlet connected to the local fusion reactor) while traveling to the space elevator for my moon vacation.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

NRVNQSR posted:

The usual solution to this is to have the inside-out tracking objects track each other. That sounds hard, and it is, but it's a problem that needs to be solved for inside-out tracking to work in the first place.

This requires the objects to be able to see each other. Occlusion would likely be horrid and make the whole thing completely unworkable.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Cojawfee posted:

Full Dive is the device from Sword Art Online.

Anime. I should have guessed.

It actually sounds like a horrific prospect, assuming it ever becomes possible. What's to stop a hacker trapping you in some Saw like torture chamber and pushing the pain dial all the way up?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Exioce posted:

It actually sounds like a horrific prospect, assuming it ever becomes possible. What's to stop a hacker trapping you in some Saw like torture chamber and pushing the pain dial all the way up?
Yeah, that's what the anime is about

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Multiple inside out tracked devices could share data about the room they see to the host computer and automatically locate themselves in relation to each other. You would have to turn them around enough for them to see the same stuff in the room to sync up, but after that it should be fine. Keep in mind most tracking is done by IMUs and the rest of the tracking is about stopping drift.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I would think that in real life, a portable microwave emitter large enough to fry someone's brain wouldn't be approved by the FCC for mass production.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

The real benefit of 120fps comes if you're doing interpolation like ATW and ASW do. With a 90hz display you can only ever have the game display frames at 90fps (which is hard to achieve), interpolated 45fps (which feels a little juddery even with ASW) or interpolated 30fps (unusable). If a display can do 120fps as well then that gives you the additional options of interpolated 60fps (which PSVR has shown to be a comfortable compromise) or interpolated 40fps (uncomfortable for most but might be nice to have as an option on really underpowered setups).

AFAIK 120hz was identified as optimal for VR before negligable returns. 90hz is hampering the experience at the moment.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

This requires the objects to be able to see each other. Occlusion would likely be horrid and make the whole thing completely unworkable.

They only need to see each other once to synchronise their tracking systems. Since you'd hope drift would be minimal - it wouldn't be good tracking otherwise - you should get perfect tracking as long as there's line of sight from your headset to your handsets, say, every few minutes or so.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Exioce posted:

It's not even on the horizon, so no one's really thinking about it. Short of some system that literally interrupts the nerve impulses you can just take the headset off.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Actually, thinking about it, aren't Vives and their accessories already inside-out tracking? Or am I misunderstanding what this means.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dehry posted:

I would think that in real life, a portable microwave emitter large enough to fry someone's brain wouldn't be approved by the FCC for mass production.
Maybe in Obama's America

GlyphGryph posted:

Actually, thinking about it, aren't Vives and their accessories already inside-out tracking? Or am I misunderstanding what this means.
The inside-out tracking that people are talking about doesn't require you to attach tracking references to the walls, its entirely self contained

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Exioce posted:

Im sure you could torture the poo poo out of someone with some lsd or something and gen1 headset

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Im sure you could torture the poo poo out of someone with some lsd or something and gen1 headset

I'm actually kinda surprised there haven't been any prank videos yet where someone has a headset slipped onto them while asleep and wakes up somewhere virtual.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

Yeah I'm expecting new poo poo no earlier than 2018. This poo poo only released to consumers mid-2016.

No. Already we see tech theoretically topping the Rift and Vive after just six months of cribbing off the first two devices out of the gate. You're gonna see gen-2 stuff at least announced at e3 for the Vive and Oculus Rift, because there is no loving way Facebook or HTC are going to sit silent for two years on headsets if this is the pace people are making better ones at.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Bum the Sad posted:

What's your "adhesive wall mount" btw?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B82MY94/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apap_8EQLzGY8nwkX2
The mount doesn't tilt very far which is a bit annoying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No. Already we see tech theoretically topping the Rift and Vive after just six months of cribbing off the first two devices out of the gate. You're gonna see gen-2 stuff at least announced at e3 for the Vive and Oculus Rift, because there is no loving way Facebook or HTC are going to sit silent for two years on headsets if this is the pace people are making better ones at.

Which devices? I don't really know how much more you could improve the Rift or Vive with the technology available. What we need is eye tracking technology which both are working on. The Fove is out there at least in a beta form with eye tracking but that headset has IPD issues. Screens have to be custom made. HTC and Oculus already had trouble getting enough devices made, I'm going to bet a lot of that was getting the screens. Samsung only has so much manufacturing ability. I doubt anyone smaller than Oculus was is going to be able to get higher res screens with global update and 90+hz. StarVR is moving forward with their device but they are aiming towards a commercial product with IMAX. Unless a really big name jumps in to the arena, I don't see anything that beats the Rift or Vive coming out any time soon. I don't think anything showed up at CES, we'll just have to see what people have at E3. While I'm sure HTC is working on the next headset in the background, they are currently focused on making their current headset wireless. Based on how terribly STEM worked out and how slow Fove is going, I don't think there's room in the VR market for startups anymore.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

haveblue posted:

I'm actually kinda surprised there haven't been any prank videos yet where someone has a headset slipped onto them while asleep and wakes up somewhere virtual.

I don't think you could slip either of the HMDs on someone while they're sleeping unless they got hit with horse tranquilisers first

Also I'll put together another bunch of VR reviews soon but goddamn am I really loving Sairento right now

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Bum the Sad posted:

What's your "adhesive wall mount" btw?
You can hit ? and see what I got, I also put them at ~6.5 feet, so they work in even low ceilings

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bhodi posted:

You can hit ? and see what I got, I also put them at ~6.5 feet, so they work in even low ceilings

This one? https://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Thre...ra%2Bmount&th=1

Can you get your sensor fairly horizontal with just that one ball joint?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Songbearer posted:

I don't think you could slip either of the HMDs on someone while they're sleeping unless they got hit with horse tranquilisers first

Also I'll put together another bunch of VR reviews soon but goddamn am I really loving Sairento right now

True, but if your idiot friend drinks/smokes himself into a stupor on the couch in front of your rig that's basically the same thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'd be more worried that the person freaks out and either smashes the headset into something, throws it against a wall, or runs off and rips the cables out of the computer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Microsoft is supposed to be showing off their new VR headsets at the $300 price point at GDC in March. I would expect occulus + valve/HTC to have a counter marketing response ready within a week, and a calibrated response with more details mid may (6 weeks later). Q2 should be an interesting quarter for VR

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Bum the Sad posted:

This one? https://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Thre...ra%2Bmount&th=1

Can you get your sensor fairly horizontal with just that one ball joint?

Yes, they work fine. They point slightly downwards so the top of their view is about as high as my hands can go.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Big Destinations update, that turns it into a hat game??
http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/261608192639467361

quote:

Complete quests, collect souvenirs, and stick them to your head! The Quest Update to Destinations is here, with a host of new features and content to explore.

Introducing Geocaching Quests

Travel to various Destinations to find hidden item caches using the new Cache Finder tool. Locate one, and you (along with anyone questing with you) will earn a wearable item or avatar head to customize the way you look. Fancy a different hat than the one you found? Trade with other Destinations players on Steam or head over to the Steam Market. A new set of geocaching quests will appear each week, so get out there and find some caches!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hats are the worst

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

Which devices? I don't really know how much more you could improve the Rift or Vive with the technology available. What we need is eye tracking technology which both are working on. The Fove is out there at least in a beta form with eye tracking but that headset has IPD issues. Screens have to be custom made. HTC and Oculus already had trouble getting enough devices made, I'm going to bet a lot of that was getting the screens. Samsung only has so much manufacturing ability. I doubt anyone smaller than Oculus was is going to be able to get higher res screens with global update and 90+hz. StarVR is moving forward with their device but they are aiming towards a commercial product with IMAX. Unless a really big name jumps in to the arena, I don't see anything that beats the Rift or Vive coming out any time soon. I don't think anything showed up at CES, we'll just have to see what people have at E3. While I'm sure HTC is working on the next headset in the background, they are currently focused on making their current headset wireless. Based on how terribly STEM worked out and how slow Fove is going, I don't think there's room in the VR market for startups anymore.

Doesn't matter. Facebook is dumping Billions into making VR a thing, and any challenge from a startup or competitor is something they have to address to stay cutting-edge in the public eye. They are going to have to iterate new hardware regularly (for the next few years at least) or they're going to immediately fall behind the competition and lose sales in what's a relatively narrow market given the buy-in cost of VR gaming tech. Especially with Steam/HTC sitting waiting to pounce on any interesting startups as much as they are.

This is not a field anyone can afford to sit quietly "in the background" for any reasonable length of time.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Songbearer posted:

goddamn am I really loving Sairento right now

Agreed Sairento is a great shooter. I kind of wish the enemies were a bit more aggressive I tend to be able to walk through the game even on level 8 of 10 enemies on the hardest difficulty level. If anyone starts playing it I'd suggest going into the settings and going up to the hardest difficulty you only have 1/4 the hitpoints. It makes you die in 6 or so bullets instead of 24.

If anyone cares here is a video of me, I'm pretty high level and have unlocked 5 different weapons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dlErypBj6A The new build has a much better movement system than before.

Also I'm really enjoyed Knockout League. It's def. a standing room only game since you just need to be able to punch forward, and move left and right about 2 feet. It's basically Mike Tysons punch out except you have to duck, move left, right and sometimes raise your fists to block or punch.

Here's a video of my making struggling through the start of Knockout League.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMhE9Jbny2k
One negative on the game is that I saw almost all of the content (got to last form of 3rd or 4 current bosses in 44 minutes).

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Can't wait to get back home to see that all my maps are broken.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Racket: Nx early access is out, it adds multiplayer - http://store.steampowered.com/app/428080/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doesn't matter. Facebook is dumping Billions into making VR a thing, and any challenge from a startup or competitor is something they have to address to stay cutting-edge in the public eye. They are going to have to iterate new hardware regularly (for the next few years at least) or they're going to immediately fall behind the competition and lose sales in what's a relatively narrow market given the buy-in cost of VR gaming tech. Especially with Steam/HTC sitting waiting to pounce on any interesting startups as much as they are.

This is not a field anyone can afford to sit quietly "in the background" for any reasonable length of time.

No one is sitting quietly, but we have to wait for technology to catch up. 1200p screens at 90hz, with low persistence and global update is the standard. Samsung needs to pop out the same thing but at a higher resolution and possibly higher refresh as well. There needs to be one cable with enough bandwidth to drive those two screens. There need to be video cards that support that cable version.

Maybe HTC has something up their sleeve, but the only thing currently on their horizon is wireless. We'll see what's up at E3 but I'm guessing it's going to be some headsets that match the current big two.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I'm waiting to see the Windows 10 VR API so we know if it has support for tracked controllers. It it does that means you'll be able to mix and match controllers and headsets that use the platform.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Got around to playing Arizona Sunshine last night. It's pretty good so far. I wasn't expecting the full body model for players though. Watching my buddy's weird gait and slightly jank proportions is way more entertaining than it has right to be.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doesn't matter.

It absolutely matters. What device do you know about that's in any way better than either rift or vive (which are basically the same thing in slightly different packaging) and is coming out in the next 12 months or so?

There's FOVE, it does foveated rendering but lacks even a basic feature like IPD adjustment and is thus trash for 99% people on the globe. There's OSVR, which is in every way worse but is... cheap at least? There's the thing microsoft is going to release at $300, but will it ship with controllers or a better display than vive/rift for 300? Extremely unlikely. Do we even know what kind of tracking solution they're using yet?

No, barring someone sneakily making a hq vr thing in 2017, we're going to see viive/cv2 in 2018. 2 years is way too long for my taste too I want 4k per eye yesterday, but things are suspiciously quiet for a new big release in 2017.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

No one is sitting quietly, but we have to wait for technology to catch up. 1200p screens at 90hz, with low persistence and global update is the standard. Samsung needs to pop out the same thing but at a higher resolution and possibly higher refresh as well. There needs to be one cable with enough bandwidth to drive those two screens. There need to be video cards that support that cable version.

Maybe HTC has something up their sleeve, but the only thing currently on their horizon is wireless. We'll see what's up at E3 but I'm guessing it's going to be some headsets that match the current big two.

I fully agree e3's the thing to wait for. We're just about heading into that radio-silence period when companies start getting real quiet about releases so they actually have something for the event, and they'd probably hold off for it regardless just so it's at the biggest event possible to reveal whatever they're doing aside from the wireless adapter and tracker beacons.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Not a lot of hard details yet, but it looks like the next wave of VR headsets all use a stereoscopic depth camera setup to do tracking without any base stations. Screen res of 1440x1440, though possibly only 60hz. They are lighter though, seems they are around 350g vs 550g for the Vive. Also they seem to all use the PSVR style headband with flip up screen, which people seem to like. There are a million ways to improve VR other than screen res though. Lighter, more comfortable, better optics. Even the software makes a huge difference at this point. It will be very interesting to see what comes out in March, even if it's just to know if the Microsoft Holographic platform is garbage or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Rectus posted:

Can't wait to get back home to see that all my maps are broken.

Oh hey, Valve actually added a lot of my suggestions, including generic scriptable tools you can pick up and use. And only half of my maps are broken!