Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Whats the best way to try to convince your landlord to go halvsies on a new washer/dryer. I love the place i'm living in but occasionally the dryer just leaves everything damp and the washing machines one of the old ones that's slow and not efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The dryer leaving everything damp is a problem. Put in a maintenance request on the dryer. Either it'll get fixed or replaced, either way, problem solved.

Washer is another matter. If it works, it'll be hard to get it replaced. You can sell it as water or energy savings, especially if the landlord pays any utilities.

Would you consider buying one and taking it with you when you leave?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

photomikey posted:

The dryer leaving everything damp is a problem. Put in a maintenance request on the dryer. Either it'll get fixed or replaced, either way, problem solved.

Washer is another matter. If it works, it'll be hard to get it replaced. You can sell it as water or energy savings, especially if the landlord pays any utilities.

Would you consider buying one and taking it with you when you leave?

I'd prefer not to, and yeah technically it doesn't leave everything damp you just have to run it for like 60 minutes when it should take like 45, which isn't like the worst thing and its FWP as hell but it throws everything off

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Still, I'd argue it's a maintenance problem. Your dryer has 10 lbs of lint inside it and won't dry correctly. You can either google it or call the landlord (I'd call the landlord, that's why you have a landlord), but basically you get a brush on a bendable pole and remove something the size and weight of a cat, then it dries better.

Dryers get hot, blow air, and spin. The difference between a $50 craigslist dryer that's 20 years old and a $2500 LG dryer that's brand new is the computer thing that runs it; that's it. They both dry clothes at exactly the same speed using exactly the same technique.

Either it's not getting hot, it's not blowing air, or it's not spinning. Have the LL fix whatever's wrong, and you have a new dryer *and* the landlord gets to save $500.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If it's taking forever to dry your clothes it's possible there's a ventilation issue with the dryer. Definitely put on a maintenance request to get that looked at, it could be an easy fix.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
And a fire hazard.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Dryers very rarely break, they are simple pieces of machinery. It's probably just a clogged dryer vent and it's a simple and relatively cheap fix (most companies around here charge $50 or $60). Though I would say in most cases this should be the landlord's responsibility since it probably involves climbing on the roof.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I have a thin hallway runner I got from Ikea so that my cat can enjoy running around and playing on it instead of sliding around the wood floors with no traction. But I need some kind of carpet pad to go underneath it to keep it in place.

Which of these should I get?

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Rugs-Rug-Padding-Grippers/3-x-10/N-5yc1vZb8e0Z1z0z4c5

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

For those with itemized utility bills, what's your average for sewer service? My bill just for that component was ~15 these last two months and now it has tripled to ~45, with the only notification being the postcard that arrives like three days before rent is due. Leasing office is claiming that the billing company didn't do their homework and massively underestimated what the city charges. I don't think that holds water for a number of reasons, but I'm curious what others pay? This is a single occupancy one-bedroom apartment and apparently they're just dividing the total by doors and not usage (ostensibly the whole point of switching to this billing company!).

Chard fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 5, 2017

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Chard posted:

For those with itemized utility bills, what's your average for sewer service? My bill just for that component was ~15 these last two months and now it has tripled to ~45, with the only notification being the postcard that arrives like three days before rent is due. Leasing office is claiming that the billing company didn't do their homework and massively underestimated what the city charges. I don't think that holds water for a number of reasons, but I'm curious what others pay? This is a single occupancy one-bedroom apartment and apparently they're just dividing the total by doors and not usage (ostensibly the whole point of switching to this billing company!).

Probably depends a whole lot on your municipality and how they have decided to handle it. Generally I pay around $40 (Indiana) for combined sewer/trash and the cost only wavers by $2 or $3 per month based mostly on how many trash pickup days they have. Perhaps did you get miss-charged for somebody else's large item pickup somehow? I think my trash service will tack on $30+ for pickup of large items depending on size/type of item. Also the price you pay only includes pickup for so many bags of trash... did you go over that number?

edit:grammar

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 5, 2017

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Defenestration posted:

I have a thin hallway runner I got from Ikea so that my cat can enjoy running around and playing on it instead of sliding around the wood floors with no traction. But I need some kind of carpet pad to go underneath it to keep it in place.

Which of these should I get?

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Rugs-Rug-Padding-Grippers/3-x-10/N-5yc1vZb8e0Z1z0z4c5

I've never had a problem with the super cheap rubber foam mesh pads. Of course the thicker non-stick layers will provide a more cushioned step and the more expensive product may hold up better in higher traffic areas.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

extravadanza posted:

Probably depends a whole lot on your municipality and how they have decided to handle it. Generally I pay around $40 (Indiana) for combined sewer/trash and the cost only wavers by $2 or $3 per month based mostly on how many trash pickup days they have. Perhaps did you get miss-charged for somebody else's large item pickup somehow? I think my trash service will tack on $30+ for pickup of large items depending on size/type of item. Also the price you pay only includes pickup for so many bags of trash... did you go over that number?

edit:grammar

No, no large pickups or anything like that - it's a large complex and there are dumpsters around that everyone just throws into, so no way of checking usage. Actually I looked at the bill again and trash is a separate 4.99 fee.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I pay $77 quarterly for trash and recycling pickup and a flat $33/month for water/sewer at my house.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You might to check your local codes. In some places a landlords can't charge you separately for a utility unless it is properly divided and metered - they can't just divide the total bill by units.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I did a dumb thing. I put a hot pan on my builders' grade countertop and now there's a faint burn and a hole in the surface. I put some patching over it, but it's still pretty obvious. We've been in this place for two years; we will likely stay in it another year and a half. When we moved in, the landlord patched and painted the walls, replaced the kitchen overhead lighting, replaced the hardware on kitchen cabinets and put in a backsplash. I know on units up for rent now he's put in new hardwood flooring and better counters. Should I be worried about my deposit?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Eponine posted:

I did a dumb thing. I put a hot pan on my builders' grade countertop and now there's a faint burn and a hole in the surface. I put some patching over it, but it's still pretty obvious. We've been in this place for two years; we will likely stay in it another year and a half. When we moved in, the landlord patched and painted the walls, replaced the kitchen overhead lighting, replaced the hardware on kitchen cabinets and put in a backsplash. I know on units up for rent now he's put in new hardwood flooring and better counters. Should I be worried about my deposit?
At this point its not worth worrying about. Think about it a couple months before you move out, not right now.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I disagree. Tell the landlord what happened. See what his approach is. You'll have to pay for the damage, but builder's grade laminate countertops are like $100 for a 9' section. If you burned a portion that does not have the sink in it, it's a pretty easy rip-out and replace that would only (God-willing) take an hour or so. It's possible that your landlord has a section laying around that he may no longer have in a year or two when you eventually leave. Plus, you'll have to look at that ugly burn for the next 18 months instead of getting it fixed and having new (potentially nicer) countertops.

For me personally, I have a lot of respect for people who come to me mid-lease and own up to something, rather than move out and put a potted plant over it and hope I won't notice. Depending on the issue, it might be something I tell you not to worry about.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm going to be moving about an hour to hour and a half away in a few months. We want to get a feel for the area, but I've got no idea what to do for that. We don't have any apartment complexes in mind because we want a yard. There's also a pretty large area we're looking at.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm going to be moving about an hour to hour and a half away in a few months. We want to get a feel for the area, but I've got no idea what to do for that. We don't have any apartment complexes in mind because we want a yard. There's also a pretty large area we're looking at.

find 2-3 properties you COULD rent/buy that are currently available. Drive to the area, park your car and wander around. Spend an hour or two, go shopping, have coffee or a lunch. How do you feel? Safe? Bored? Unwelcome?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Also visit the area during different times of the day and at night.

edit: also check out some of the surrounding neighborhoods. There are a bunch of places in town where one street over it becomes a sketchy hellhole.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 10, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We'll walk around and check out the areas that interest us the most, but we won't be able to stay too late to check the area out at night. Thanks for the advice. The day we're going should be relatively warm as well.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The wife and I are looking at getting a power reclining couch and chair from Ashley Furniture. The sticker price (which is already "on sale") is $1500 combined, plus $100 in sales tax and $120 delivery fee for a total of $1720.

I've had some success in the past negotiating prices down but the best they could give me was $20 off delivery which seemed kind of ridiculous as I've always been able to at least get free delivery. I walked out the door and the salesperson didn't bother to try and stop me, so I'm wondering if I did something wrong in negotiating the price down.

Any tips? I'm aiming for $1500 out the door with delivery included which I think is reasonable enough, but maybe my expectations are too high.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Did you get a model number off the couch, or any identifying details? Ashley doesn't make that couch, it's made by some gradeschool kids in China, every furniture store in North America probably sells it. Find out what it's going for elsewhere.

Buying furniture is like buying a used car. There is always a better deal somewhere else, but eventually you find the car you can't live without, and you suck it up and pay the extra hundred bucks you were trying to negotiate away.

Furniture is also known for sales, I was in a furniture store over the weekend and it was still the new year's sale, but President's Day is right around the corner. Also, next time, find a different salesman.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Need some advice.

The state I live in offers a renter's rebate for poors (that's me) who leased for all 12 months of the year. In order to claim it you need a landlord certificate. I got in touch with the company I rented from and was informed that the one copy they're permitted to print (state law) got sent to my ex-roommate because his name came first on the lease.

My roommate and I didn't end on good terms and he won't return my messages, nor is he eligible for the credit. Management is all "tough cookies." Do I have any options here? I've considered contacting the State but I'm afraid they'll only affirm the line I've been given by property management.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
California?

Contact one of those renters-rights groups that give free legal aid to po' folk. "We can only print one" sounds like bullshit to me. "Print another one" on attorney letterhead may be all you need. It is my experience in California that all you ever need to do for gov't financial assistance is just repeatedly ask. and they will eventually waive all requirements.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Vermont.

The State's website says only one person per household can claim the rebate so I don't know how that applies here.

I'll see if I can get a lil help locally, thanks.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Can you file your taxes without physical possession of the certificate? Just confirm with your ex room mate that only you will be claiming it this year because he is ineligible

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Ideally, yeah. But the txts and emails I've sent him regarding the money he owes me for utilities have gone unanswered for six months so I've considered that whole venture a dead end.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I moved out of an apartment back in November. The landlord lives out of state and so at her request we did a Skype walkthrough. I had lived there for five years and I took good care of the place. She asked for a bit more cleaning, which I did and then documented, i got and cashed my deposit back minus a few fees, and went happily on my way.

Today, I just got an email from my old landlord requesting money from me - $30 for "repairing a bedroom door" and $15 for replacing two light bulbs. Not a huge chunk of change, but I don't understand why she would be coming after me now for it. She also asked about a window shade I never had, and a balcony door lock that never worked (there is a lock on the door, but no hole in the frame. Did she think I filled in the hole???). I have no idea what bedroom door damage she is referring to.

Is there any legal obligation for me to pay this? Should I, even if not?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Drunk Tomato posted:

What state? Most states allow 30 days (give or take 15) to provide a deposit refund and/or an itemized list of deductions. After that, all claims are nullified. Some states allow tenants to sue for punitive damages if landlords don't meet this deadline.

In your favor, she already issued you a refund check minus deductions. Case closed.

You're probably fine. You could send her a certified letter refuting her claim citing relevant landlord/tenant law, or you could just ignore her knowing she's just fishing and has no grounds to pursue this.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Drunk Tomato posted:

I moved out of an apartment back in November. The landlord lives out of state and so at her request we did a Skype walkthrough. I had lived there for five years and I took good care of the place. She asked for a bit more cleaning, which I did and then documented, i got and cashed my deposit back minus a few fees, and went happily on my way.

Today, I just got an email from my old landlord requesting money from me - $30 for "repairing a bedroom door" and $15 for replacing two light bulbs. Not a huge chunk of change, but I don't understand why she would be coming after me now for it. She also asked about a window shade I never had, and a balcony door lock that never worked (there is a lock on the door, but no hole in the frame. Did she think I filled in the hole???). I have no idea what bedroom door damage she is referring to.

Scummy landlords know that most people won't bother fighting over such a small amount, which is why they pull poo poo like this. But that doesn't mean you should pay for something that's not your fault.

Even if state law isn't in your favor as far as the deadline goes, if you can prove the 'repairs' are unrelated to how you left the apartment(you took lots of pictures when you first moved in & before you left, right?), she has no grounds to demand money for them. If you can't, I'd ignore it like goku chewbacca said, and only pay it if she keeps pushing. (Or you could get a tenant lawyer if you felt like making a point, but you'd spend more than what she's demanding from you)

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Haifisch posted:

Scummy landlords know that most people won't bother fighting over such a small amount, which is why they pull poo poo like this. But that doesn't mean you should pay for something that's not your fault.

Even if state law isn't in your favor as far as the deadline goes, if you can prove the 'repairs' are unrelated to how you left the apartment(you took lots of pictures when you first moved in & before you left, right?), she has no grounds to demand money for them. If you can't, I'd ignore it like goku chewbacca said, and only pay it if she keeps pushing. (Or you could get a tenant lawyer if you felt like making a point, but you'd spend more than what she's demanding from you)

The thing is that she already paid my deposit back, so it seems a little... weird to come back two months after the fact and ask for more. Especially since it's such a small amount, and knowing that they increased the rental price $400/month after we left. Why choose to bother us?

I guess the other thing is that though she has always been the owner, her daughter acted as our landlord for the first four and a half years, and we had a great relationship with them. The owner hadn't been in the apartment more than once in the past six years or more and I'm assuming had to fly out to rerent the place, so I'm wondering if she was a little peeved that we chose to move instead of sticking with a fair rent increase.

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 1, 2017

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Legally I'm not sure who is in the right or the wrong; Realistically no landlord in their right mind would refund the remainder of a deposit and then request $45 of it back and expect to actually see it; Morally I think you are obligated to pay for damage you caused whether they noticed it or not during the "skype walkthrough", a phrase that gives me shivers.

I've no idea what to suggest you do now. It seems like you think (with reasonably assurance and believability) that the damage is not yours - I'd probably just cease contact and they'll figure it out and give up. Legally, their recourse would be small claims court which would never be worth it for $45 in damages and even less so if they had to fly in to attend court.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if you caused the damage, do right and pay for it, but since they returned the deposit, I'm not sure what their recourse would be, especially if you have the settlement statement that came with the refund of deposit.

That was a really long sentence.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm moving back to floodhaus at the end of the month. :v:

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Toshimo posted:

I'm moving back to floodhaus at the end of the month. :v:

no dont

KoB
May 1, 2009
A studio Im looking at said the power outlet polarities are swapped and said its only a problem for electricians. That wouldnt effect any of my stufff would it?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hope you like getting electrocuted.

You probably wont, but that sounds like a totally bizarre thing to do. It's super easy to fix, why aren't they fixing it? What else is messed up, that they aren't fixing or telling you about?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Guy Axlerod posted:

Hope you like getting electrocuted.

You probably wont, but that sounds like a totally bizarre thing to do. It's super easy to fix, why aren't they fixing it? What else is messed up, that they aren't fixing or telling you about?

Not really that easy to fix, you can't just reverse polarity at the source, since it would gently caress up wiring colors. (Well, at least it would be like that in Europe)

KoB posted:

A studio Im looking at said the power outlet polarities are swapped and said its only a problem for electricians. That wouldnt effect any of my stufff would it?

Some devices only switch the live wire, so your appliance might remain live because it is still connected to what should be the neutral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What's the best way to clean a light-ish colored leather couch?
We bought a used banana yellow leather couch from some dude who's ex-wife had it custom made for pretty cheap just because he wanted it out of his life last year that's a little grungy.
Internet is all over the place with different ideas contridicting each other.