Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Anyone use apps to log stuff? Everyone I know told me to use myfitnesspal and I just paid those cocksuckers 10 bucks to make the app not suck for a month. The paid version is pretty good, just wondering what other people use. For workouts I found an app called Strong that lets me create custom workouts and log numbers. That's about as complex as I want it. I tried several that were like HERE ARE SOME AWESOME WORKOUTS JUST FOR YOU and they were all terrible.

For context, I've been logging all my workouts and food in those green military logbooks I've been taking from work and after ~40 weeks of that I'm tired of writing things down (and calculating nutrition poo poo by hand).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I use Fitnotes for Android. It's really basic and easy to use between sets and can also log cardio stuff. It can graph your progress over time and note your PRs, so that's kind of neat. It doesn't do any nutrition logging, though.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I just use a comp notebook to log my (starting strength) routine. I won't worry about food besides 'don't eat like poo poo' until I start cutting in...May. gently caress me that's a long time away.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
lie about it on the internet like me

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Hell yeah 💪🏻

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
THIS THREAD IS TOO POWERFUL TO BE STARTED OVER AT THE BEGINNING OF THE NEW YEAR

PUNCH

KICK

EXPLOSION *explosion*

PO PO PO PO PO PO POWER! *flex*

anyway, here's a PR vid

https://youtu.be/-ngh5r4Wl-s

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
loving hell. I'm living at 5200ft now. So hard to acclimate. gently caress you Huachuca. At least you make me winded again.

Also happy new year fuckers.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I kind of miss Huachuca. Always thought it'd be a great place to cycle.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
back on dat dere military athlete workouts

mixed in with a 2 week split of 5/3/1 and college hockey 3-5 days a week

I'm loving insane

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
e: fuk you

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 18, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i see that you're doing 2 sets of posting too

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i see that you're doing 2 sets of posting too

^

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
:laffo: I saw what happened there. Don't worry, I know you've got another set in you

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I'm at max fat guys, 229 lbs this morning (5'11"), Fully disgusting, fatter than av, can barely breathe when I'm trying to slam my girlfriend etc

Luckily my college has an extremely dope gym, and I used to be into lifting, so I'm just gonna start posting my workouts here so I can feel accountable to someone, even if that someone is just the void. Program is some barbell movements I like, setsx5, which is all I have patience for for now. It's Starting Strength, It's Greyskull, It's Elitefts, I's a program that came out of some blog article, The 5x5 lives, it dies, it lives again.

I'm back in the routine, shakedown workouts out of the way and all, so I have as my baseline:

A
Front Squat - 135x5x5
Press (military) - 65x5x5
Chin Up - 2, 1 lol
DL (double overhand for now) - 225x5x1

B
Sq. 155x5x3
Row - 135x5x4
Bench 135x5x4

also I might do some preacher curls or diamond pushups or whatever at the end of these but who cares about that poo poo
and gently caress cardio forever but my pedometer on my phone says I walked like 6 miles lol fat people care about walking

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
222 losing some junk food bloat gross gross gross

F Squat - 155x5x5
P - 75x5x5
DL - 245x5x1

I've been checking the pedometer on my phone and regularly getting well over 5 miles a day. lol only fat people care about walking but I've been going hunting every friday afternoon for small game which is like the walking but in snow and I'm freezing my balls off for no real reason because animals know better than to live on public land in colorado and this weekend I also tried cross country skiing which is like walking in the snow except I also fall down about a dozen times

e_g_m blog ur latest WOD on the 5/3/1 I love reading other people's boring workout journals thx

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Did some power lifts for our units 1000 lb club we're doing.
Squat 315
DL 315
Bench 205

Total 835 lb.

Drinking protein, bro.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Drinking protein, bro.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Haven't pulled at all in like a month and haven't gone heavy for probably two, so naturally one of the few regulars that can hang with me walks in at the same time. Warmed up with 5s at 135 and 225, 315 for a triple, then 405 and 455 for singles. Feeling pretty good, everything's cueing properly, let's bump it up a little. 495 touch and go for 8 just to dick-wave, then 545 for a triple. Capping it off with a loving ugly 585 where my glutes didn't want to fire properly so my hips shot up instead of wedging through, called it there since 8@~75%, 3@85, and 1@92.5 was more than enough.

Woke up this morning having to roll out of bed and stretched/foam rolled for half an hour before I stopped hobbling around like an old man.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
last two:

Sq - 185x5x5
B- 135x5x3 haha little bitch trex arms
Cable Row - arbitrary "105" x10x3 I really love this movement and getting a good long stretch and really drawing the shoulder blades back etc

F Sq 175x5x5
P 75x5x5
DL 265x3 - still doing doulbe overhand, gonna go ahead and go to mixed grip from now on, think there's plenty left in my hips

might try to start getting more show muscle work in, though my crippling negative body image really make me feel silly about doing curls

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Woke up this morning having to roll out of bed and stretched/foam rolled for half an hour before I stopped hobbling around like an old man.

The foam roller owns

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

DownByTheWooter posted:

e_g_m blog ur latest WOD on the 5/3/1 I love reading other people's boring workout journals thx

my fatness thread got archived cause i dont post enough in the fitness log cabin but herewe go

i just finished my latest 5/3/1 cycle after taking several months off from it, and been doing the onramp - military plan from military athlete the past 2 weeks, the halhigdon 5k novice plan to get my rear end back to running, and hockey which is 3-5 times a week, oh and i do pft garbage 2x a week and ruck a quick mile once a week too.

so on bench i got 225 or 230 for 5 or 6 which is pretty low to what ive done before but i dont care since im focussing more on stamina and endurance work
ohp 145 for 6 or 7 or 8 who knows
deadlift 300 something for 20 reps again, pretty low. when i lost weight a lot of my core strength fuckin tanked, and i ended up injuring my back a few times
squat 330 for 15

Right now im running 2-3 days a week getting my volume up to snuff before i start working on getting my speed back. As for eating, I broke the 220lb weight a day ago and I'm sittin at ~219 when I'm not loaded up on food/poop/water. I like doing pft poo poo for some reason. It doesn't make any sense if you can rip o some heavy weights but can't move your own rear end around you know?

that's it for now. Starting a new 5/3/1 cycle tomorrow and week 3 of the current mil athlete plan (poo poo got hosed up because of games this weekend)

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Yay, torn labrum in right shoulder plus nerve stuff causing denervation in some muscles... prolly surgery bound.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Dingleberry posted:

Yay, torn labrum in right shoulder plus nerve stuff causing denervation in some muscles... prolly surgery bound.

Hey my physical therapist told me yesterday the painful popping in my hip is probably labrum damage, high five crappy surgery buddy

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

Hey my physical therapist told me yesterday the painful popping in my hip is probably labrum damage, high five crappy surgery buddy

There are pops and creaks in both my hips and shoulders. I'm afraid to even consider what messed up poo poo is going on with my joints.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Are they painful? That seems to be one of the big warning signs with my hip, is the pain associated with the popping, vice my shoulder where there's more popping but no pain

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

No, fortunately all of my joints are pretty pain free minus my right hip every so often. I think there's some calcification on my right hip joint/acetabulum and if I outwardly rotate my hip it feels like someone gave me a charlie horse right at the joint..It's super random, could happen twice in a day or once every three weeks..... I get pain plus limited movement and I limp for about 30-40 seconds... After that it goes away. Hasn't been an issue since I stopped running high volumes, but things like rucking/hiking/cycling and weight lifting don't affect it at all.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Cyst on nerve...

Next to the tear in labrum. The lighter muscle shows edema which goes hand in hand with weakness and atrophy from de-enervation.

4-6 weeks in a sling, 4-6 weeks after that til full use....

Won't be able to run, lift, work really... sucks.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
e_g_m's blog o' sweat

warmup poo poo

20 minute amrap of
50x step up
8x thrusters @ 40#
8x situps

then
core stuff

glute and shoulder stuff

side lateral raises

1.5 mile jog

i was pouring fuckin sweat

I think i hosed both of my shoulders making diving saves this season. deefinitely seems weak when i do side lateral stuff, and when i do pushups/ohp i seem to be off kilter. strength hasn't gone though.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

elite_garbage_man posted:

e_g_m's blog o' sweat

I think i hosed both of my shoulders making diving saves this season. deefinitely seems weak when i do side lateral stuff, and when i do pushups/ohp i seem to be off kilter. strength hasn't gone though.

Get it checked out asap.
I think if I had when I first had issues a year plus ago I wouldn't be looking down the barrel of a surgery with 2-3 months of recovery time.
I don't have weakness per se, but the pain can go 0-10 then back to 0. The nerve thing is the wildcard...
Now I'm just doing (hot) yoga once or twice a week, some (now pre-op) PT, and isometric stuff at home when watching tv, etc... FWIW haven't lost much strength after going on two months with way less strength training, but not looking forward to being "all left" post surgery for a while.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
229 this morning

last two:

B 135x5x5
R 135x5x5
Sq 185x5x1 gassed out. Should probably run or bike or something
preacher curls

- - - - - -

FSq 185x5x5
P 75x5x4
DL 275x3
cable row
2 chinups lol

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
warmed up then went for some deads. hit an easy 360 for 10 unbroken reps. didnt want to go balls out and try to rep it 20+ times considering my back was fuckin jacked a couple weeks ago.

then did some heavy bench, power clean, and some box squats

wrapped it up with some good ol static stretching

I'll be getting my shoulders looked at as soon as the season is over

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Unceremoniously dumped by my ex halfway through mobilization

Time to channel my frustration into gains, so I can rebound college pussy for 2 years when I get back with a vengeance. gently caress dude.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You fuckin bitch i*curl*f I wasn't important enough to wait and you kne*squat*w it, don't loving sleep around for months *protein shake* and then expect *mirror selfie*me to just forgive you and go back to being *pullup* friends.

Time to go watch air force chicks ogle my rear end while I squat I guess

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Unceremoniously dumped by my ex halfway through mobilization

Time to channel my frustration into gains, so I can rebound college pussy for 2 years when I get back with a vengeance. gently caress dude.

May wanna rethink your strategy

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsweek.com/why-dad-bod-physique-future-sexual-selection-515427%3Famp%3D1

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I am about 15 lbs over what I want to be, was gonna stop drinking and eating like crap but this changes everything.

bbl getting 30 pack of natty light 8 OUNCE CURLS FOR THE GIRLS

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
gals that think dad bods are cool give birth to cliff babies 100% of the time.

today was doing re-evaluations for some conditioning poo poo i did at the start of this ma program (onramp mil version)
improved my time by about 1:45-2 minutes of the first (lower body focussed) workout and about 1:30 on the second. coulda done better on the second if i paced myself better in the beginning instead of doing an all out loving sprint which i couldn't keep up for another 4 rounds of work

closed her out with a 1.5 mile jog, stretching and hockey later in the evening.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 9, 2017

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I got down to 165 (started 245) and now I'm back to gaining. ~2600 calories a day is very tough to hit and my farts smell like war crimes but I'm definitely enjoying working out more because I have energy and stuff. Up to 172. Figure around 180-185 I'll cut again and just do that bulk/cut cycle forever.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I've been pretty consistently getting to the gym every day before work the last couple months, but this week I've got a cold that's left me unable to breathe through my nose and my voice sounds like Chocolate Rain. Going to the gym this morning was a fool's errand. I got about halfway through my warm-up sets for squats and was completely gassed.

PFT next week is gonna be fun if this doesn't clear up soon.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm trying to push through a SF Prep Plan to keep myself busy during the winter. The weights and runs are no problem, but I'm dying on the swims. Does anyone have advice on how to get through this? Should I pause until I build those swimming skills? How does an adult get better at swimming anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm trying to push through a SF Prep Plan to keep myself busy during the winter. The weights and runs are no problem, but I'm dying on the swims. Does anyone have advice on how to get through this? Should I pause until I build those swimming skills? How does an adult get better at swimming anyways?

The best way to get good at a thing, is to do the thing over and over.