Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
i went to post some memes in livestreams noticed nvidia had a streamer in wot category has to be a noob it was a noob heres a funny https://clips.twitch.tv/nvidia/LightPorcupineKappaRoss

http://i.imgur.com/8YPclHV.gifv also have this , and no i still will not play this game :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Atomizer posted:

http://worldoftanks.com/en/content/guide/general/recruitment/

It looks like the recruitment program is less restrictive than I remembered; as long as you meet the battles & activity requirements you should be fine, so you can probably disregard what I said.

I am up to tier 6 now, the xp boosts if you and your other guy make the top 10 are freakin sweet.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Turmoilx posted:

i went to post some memes in livestreams noticed nvidia had a streamer in wot category has to be a noob it was a noob heres a funny https://clips.twitch.tv/nvidia/LightPorcupineKappaRoss

What is happening here?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Turmoilx posted:

http://i.imgur.com/8YPclHV.gifv also have this , and no i still will not play this game :)

God drat I hate people sitting in that spot, you contribute nothing to your team until the game is already decided.

http://worldoftanks.eu/en/community/accounts/508846841-Sacriel_unused_account/

http://www.noobmeter.com/player/eu/Sacriel_unused_account/508846841/

oh look 197 Hellcat games 44% winrate what a surprise maybe don't be completely useless in your tank destroyer and instead destroy some tanks.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Well now, c'mon, be fair, he may get a few lovely teams no matter what he does.
I keep getting teams that forget there are two flanks and I end up defending one by myself while the other manages to get rolled up anyways

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Yo, Rammer, GLD, and Optics on the T-34-85, or Rammer, GLD, Vents?

(Or just no GLD at all?)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

When your team is bad you need to do more in order to win. It may turn out that the game was unwinnable, but if you don't bother trying to win you sure aren't helping your chances. Sitting in a spot where you can't even damage farm until it's you against eight enemy tanks when there are two arti on the other team seems foolish. Plus, blindfiring that idiot bush is way too easy - someone gets shot on that downslope? Guess where it's coming from.....bam blind kill on a dipshit Hellcat.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yo, Rammer, GLD, and Optics on the T-34-85, or Rammer, GLD, Vents?

(Or just no GLD at all?)

I use Rammer, GLD, Optics on the Rudy because I like more spotting range because spotting damage = credits. If you're platooning with a Cromwell with Optics, Vents is a very minor damage increase.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I just have the regular non-premium one. Guess I'll go with rammer, GLD, optics, because I never platoon, and the view range should be a bit of a competitive advantage over a small increase in ROF.
Obliged!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

gld is poop and i wouldn't put it on anything but the absolutely slowest-aiming tanks and even there i'd think twice about it

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

gld is poop and i wouldn't put it on anything but the absolutely slowest-aiming tanks and even there i'd think twice about it

The 85mm on the Rudy sure feels like it blooms out kind of big, especially after firing, but hell with #snapshotmeta it isn't like you should ever be aiming anyway. Throw some Binocs on that mother fucker.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

SocketWrench posted:

I keep getting teams that forget there are two flanks and I end up defending one by myself while the other manages to get rolled up anyways
So a normal match?

What is the best tactic when there is a lemming train going down? I usually try and hold up the other flank despite this not being in my best (meta) interests. If nobody holds up the enemy on the otherwise unprotected flank then the brain dead shitheads doing the lemming train stand no chance whatsoever. Also if the enemy are bad enough I win the flank and we win that way. I really hate being the muggins that takes one for the team however and the disproportionate number of times where the lemming train flank fails despite overwhelming odds :doh:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

So a normal match?

What is the best tactic when there is a lemming train going down? I usually try and hold up the other flank despite this not being in my best (meta) interests. If nobody holds up the enemy on the otherwise unprotected flank then the brain dead shitheads doing the lemming train stand no chance whatsoever. Also if the enemy are bad enough I win the flank and we win that way. I really hate being the muggins that takes one for the team however and the disproportionate number of times where the lemming train flank fails despite overwhelming odds :doh:

Ensure your team wins their side quickly and convincingly, then just before you're about to clear it, attempt to convince as many people as possible to return to base while your team is still up tanks to get a reset rather than throwing the game away walking into their base defenders and/or allowing the enemy to cap you. Lead the way both ways.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Prav posted:

GLD shaves off like .34 seconds of aim time on the t-34-3 and 112, its nice.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Cartoon posted:

So a normal match?

Yeah, I usually take up the flank, maybe sometimes I'll get another guy to come along with me. It's just depressing since I'm still a scrub that i'll sit on the flank by myself or maybe a couple TDs and watch our heavies get ground up off on the other side and then the flank just rolls up from there.

I did have fun last night though. Had another super pershing and a regular pershing on my team, we platooned together and pershing bum rushed the ruins on the Redshire map. Ended up taking on a SU-100, two Shermans, a Panzer 4 and a King Tiger, rolled them up and swung around behind. One of the better times I had.

Of course after that I got stuck on that desert map with the ruins on the hill by water. Two heavies and a td decided to camp under cover while everyone slowly died till they were encircled

Hellsau posted:

Ensure your team wins their side quickly and convincingly, then just before you're about to clear it, attempt to convince as many people as possible to return to base while your team is still up tanks to get a reset rather than throwing the game away walking into their base defenders and/or allowing the enemy to cap you. Lead the way both ways.

Of course this only works if your team mates pay any attention to chat or the minimap

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, I usually take up the flank, maybe sometimes I'll get another guy to come along with me. It's just depressing since I'm still a scrub that i'll sit on the flank by myself or maybe a couple TDs and watch our heavies get ground up off on the other side and then the flank just rolls up from there.

You have to recognize, though, that even if your pubtards give up half the map that doesn't mean you should have to be the one to try to defend it solo. You're not going to succeed, first of all, without help, and you're just going to throw away your tank in the process. That's why you have to push the other flank, because that's where the rest of your team is which is your only opportunity to make progress. If you're with your team, at least you can shoot the targets they light or vice-versa. Plus, if you leave them to their own devices, pubbies have an uncanny ability to take their 12 tanks and die uselessly despite having a numerical advantage. That's why YOU have to make the difference in matches, and that's why "stats matter" because they illustrate what YOU can do DESPITE the neverending horde of publords.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Atomizer posted:

You have to recognize, though, that even if your pubtards give up half the map that doesn't mean you should have to be the one to try to defend it solo. You're not going to succeed, first of all, without help, and you're just going to throw away your tank in the process. That's why you have to push the other flank, because that's where the rest of your team is which is your only opportunity to make progress. If you're with your team, at least you can shoot the targets they light or vice-versa. Plus, if you leave them to their own devices, pubbies have an uncanny ability to take their 12 tanks and die uselessly despite having a numerical advantage. That's why YOU have to make the difference in matches, and that's why "stats matter" because they illustrate what YOU can do DESPITE the neverending horde of publords.

Good info, I guess. I've followed this a few times before only to watch guys run full speed around a corner the other team is known to reach by the time you're there and after they get hit the team splinters to find some way around the other's rear end and just get plowed by artillery.

I got to the KV-2 tonight and derped that bitch, and holy gently caress is it fun blasting people...no one wants to support though so soon enough I'm in a no escape spot. The only one I survived was teaming up with a KTiger and steam rolling the place together

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

SocketWrench posted:

Good info, I guess. I've followed this a few times before only to watch guys run full speed around a corner the other team is known to reach by the time you're there and after they get hit the team splinters to find some way around the other's rear end and just get plowed by artillery.

I got to the KV-2 tonight and derped that bitch, and holy gently caress is it fun blasting people...no one wants to support though so soon enough I'm in a no escape spot. The only one I survived was teaming up with a KTiger and steam rolling the place together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOQV-qWKtyI

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
What light tanks should i harvest more xp on to get all the new light tanks right away? what tiers are they gonna be?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Man the skoda t-50 sure makes the t54e1 look kinda superfluous.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

MariusLecter posted:

What is happening here?

hes on nvidias channel for some reason plus he doesnt know the basics of wot and probably has thousands of battles but i didnt bother to stay more than 2mins.. well unless while iv been gone they changed the spotting system to if you point your turret in a direction it spots that way because the way i remember it could be pointed anywhere i also thought it was cute how he sits there taking account of what angles are being watched

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 1, 2017

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Turmoilx posted:

hes on nvidias channel for some reason plus he doesnt know the basics of wot and probably has thousands of battles but i didnt bother to stay more than 2mins

When I had 1k battle I already had my first T10 and knew how the game worked.
Not sure what that dude's problem is.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I didn't get my first T10 until like 5 or 6 thousand battles played : /

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Same, and even that was mostly a rush from the Rise of the Americas event.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hellsau posted:

Same, and even that was mostly a rush from the Rise of the Americas event.

I have over 10k games, two tier 9s, a shitload of Tier 8s.

No tier 10s, unless you count the T-22 :v:.

I should finally get the drat e5 already.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I would rather not do a t10 versus games played count for me.. It would be sad.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I never understood what people enjoy so much about playing a huge variety of low tier tanks. 2k games and t8/t7/t7 for me

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I never understood what people enjoy so much about playing a huge variety of low tier tanks. 2k games and t8/t7/t7 for me

There are fun and great tanks to play between T5 and T9. I don't know how people want to play T10s all day. I can make credits, but I'm more likely to get screwed by a couple awful players sitting in the back sniping with their E100s. So now, not only will it mean a suboptimal game, it will mean I didn't pulla profit at T10.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

The very lowest tiers (T1-4) can be blown away in an evening and after that you get enough variety in different lines that you never really get burned of playing one tank. Also it lets you max out on various x3/x5 events so you get to play this game less!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

HFX posted:

There are fun and great tanks to play between T5 and T9. I don't know how people want to play T10s all day.

But those are the worst tiers, except for T8.

T7 are the worst offender with a lineup with garbage tanks.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BadLlama posted:

I'm at like 3500 battles or so and I just unlocked my first T8 (T32) and a handful of T7's. I really like playing all the different tank lines too much to focus on any one in particular.

Speaking of lemming trains and all that, I was watching a few videos on the T-34/100 in an effort to not be so bad in that terrible loving machine. One in particular was the SirFoch review in which he plays on Westfield. In this particular instance he says the K line is a low impact play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CdkM9WkMw0&t=420s

Does it generally make more sense to try and support the main brawl area in a medium (like he does at the start of the video), rather than peek from those ridge areas at K5/E0? Even if I do play from those areas and manage to take out the opposing lights/meds, it always feels like the battle is largely won in the heavy brawl area.

Barry fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 1, 2017

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Dual boxing arty is enough to drive you mad... MAD!!!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

3 kills each arty, team still throws.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Literally never go east or south on Westfield. If you want to play the south part of city, fine, go for it. E0 and the corresponding camping spots for the south spawn are totally useless garbage which you should avoid at all costs. If your team loses the northwestern plateau, you are totally stuck if you were camping the east/south - you can't realistically expect to shoot anything without getting spotted, and if you get lit five tanks are going to shoot you from across the way without getting spotted. You also have no realistic expectation of protecting your artillery unless it's extremely fast like an M53 or Bat arti and can manage to run to K0 in time. Anywhere else it's either going to be badly separated into a place you can't help it, or it'll be spotted immediately when it fires.

If you've got good gun depression there are a lot of places to sneak a shot into the enemy on the northern hills. If you can brawl there's a couple brawl lanes in the north or you can just go into the city and work your way through what they have there and then one-by-one through the enemy TD campers then around the rest of the enemy. If you are thin with bad gun depression you can just skirt around the city looking for distracted tanks, or try to outspot the enemy campers and take them down, or you can shoot across and try to keep your dipshits in the east/south alive.

Going east or south simply dooms you to inaction if your team doesn't win the northwest, and if they win the northwest then what the gently caress did you accomplish on the other side? The map is such that if your team wins the east/south and the other team wins the northwest, you cannot cap because the enemy can just drive to the edge and shoot down into you, and trying to hide behind those buildings works fine to delay the enemy five seconds but then they just rotate around the edge and shoot you from a better angle, and if the enemy artillery isn't poo poo they'll have climbed up the 1 line/A line as their team won the uphill area to get better shots and to protect themselves, and if there is an artillery capping is suicide.

Also, the map's name is Westfield. That's a hint - go to the "west field".

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

What map is that again?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Westfield advice

If no one on your team goes east, can't the baddies that did go east light up the town from across the valley without having to worry about being punished on their flank?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

What map is that again?

http://www.vbaddict.net/heatmaps/westfield/23

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

double post LOL

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

You can spot the southern dick of the plateau from the south east but that is about it. If you go south east you have to have a team willing to go ham on any enemies that went that way and clear them out quick. Then you don't go into the enemy base, maybe one dude to go kill some arty, you go up the poop shoot into the city and help murder off any dudes still in the city. Really though, going north is almost always the best option.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Literally never go east or south on Westfield. If you want to play the south part of city, fine, go for it. E0 and the corresponding camping spots for the south spawn are totally useless garbage which you should avoid at all costs. If your team loses the northwestern plateau, you are totally stuck if you were camping the east/south - you can't realistically expect to shoot anything without getting spotted, and if you get lit five tanks are going to shoot you from across the way without getting spotted. You also have no realistic expectation of protecting your artillery unless it's extremely fast like an M53 or Bat arti and can manage to run to K0 in time. Anywhere else it's either going to be badly separated into a place you can't help it, or it'll be spotted immediately when it fires.

If you've got good gun depression there are a lot of places to sneak a shot into the enemy on the northern hills. If you can brawl there's a couple brawl lanes in the north or you can just go into the city and work your way through what they have there and then one-by-one through the enemy TD campers then around the rest of the enemy. If you are thin with bad gun depression you can just skirt around the city looking for distracted tanks, or try to outspot the enemy campers and take them down, or you can shoot across and try to keep your dipshits in the east/south alive.

Going east or south simply dooms you to inaction if your team doesn't win the northwest, and if they win the northwest then what the gently caress did you accomplish on the other side? The map is such that if your team wins the east/south and the other team wins the northwest, you cannot cap because the enemy can just drive to the edge and shoot down into you, and trying to hide behind those buildings works fine to delay the enemy five seconds but then they just rotate around the edge and shoot you from a better angle, and if the enemy artillery isn't poo poo they'll have climbed up the 1 line/A line as their team won the uphill area to get better shots and to protect themselves, and if there is an artillery capping is suicide.

Counterpoint:
When you roll the north your worthless pubbies that went south/east gets wiped and then the surviving enemy team hides behind the building on your cap doing cap fast while you are trying to get back in time to reset because your worthless team don't read the map.

Also Mcgavin, I am still not banned using your autoaim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hellsau posted:

Thanks, this all makes perfect sense. I think I get a bit too enamored with trusting those heatmaps and I see a massive splotch of yellow down there, so it must be good right? It kind of feels like you're doing well there too - get some shots on distracted enemies to send them crawling into cover, maybe pick up a kill or two, but it just never feels like you're really swaying the battle because of all the reasons you posted. I feel like you probably need at least a tank or two to keep them honest and prevent yourselves from getting surrounded but that's about it.

That's the thing about this game that's both good and bad - there are so many different maps, so many different tank types and sub-types and team compositions that it's all but impossible to individually formulate a good strategy. So I tend to rely on heatmaps and other kinds of generically drawn guides. Which have definitely helped me to be a better player but probably also reinforce bad behavior. Even if I do start to remember what I've done successfully in the past, chances are that it'll go to poo poo in the next game because the team will yolo another way or you'll be the teams only heavy in a non-brawling tank in a corridor map with four brawlers on the other team.