Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
BackBlaze put out their 2016 report for "Buy this HDD, not THAT HDD!"

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-benchmark-stats-2016/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Khablam posted:

Save the money and get a new CPU slightly sooner, IMO.

Well as it turns out the ram was no longer available :( ended up paying an extra £10 to get the next cheapest I could find which was crucial ballistix 2666mhz.

Same went for psu, though for that I ended up getting the g3 model for £4 more.

Aside from that, it's all ordered :) now just have to wait for all the parts to roll in.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Status_Surge posted:

i do actually value you helping me out, and i promise on my SA account that i'm not trolling. give me 2-3 weeks and ill make a post on my build. that said i am actually this terrible when it comes to picking parts for my computer. that being said this is what i've revised my build to.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Jet)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-4000 Memory ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-4000 Memory ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 2.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($1299.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1603.44 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1603.44 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT LCS ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer XB321HK BMIPHZ 32.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor ($1288.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ B&H)
Headphones: Corsair VOID 7.1 Channel Headset ($99.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $7166.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-30 12:51 EST-0500

Assuming that your major priority is gaming, this build is a lot closer to optimal. Fast cores, fast ram, and fast graphics cards are what actually matter. With your budget, the next logical step is to do a full water cooling loop. A not-insignificant investment (thought I doubt it matters), and it lets you have the best case of near silence and near ambient temperatures. Plus, it looks dope. For monitor, I would either recommend the Acer X34, or the XB271HU. The X34 is an ultrawide, so it is way more immersive and spacious in games, and can play 21:9 content like most movies without black bars. The tradeoff versus the 16:9 XB271HU is that it is only 100Hz instead of 144Hz (though this is a small tradeoff as the noticeable difference between refresh rates reduces past about 90Hz).

Do you have a favoured colour combination? Aesthetically there is a lot of freedom between the motherboard/case/cooling loop/etc.

If you want just a plain black look and silence this is a potential build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IX FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($388.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 2.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($1299.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Enterprise Capacity 10TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($563.08 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1200.00)
Video Card: NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1200.00)
Case: be quiet! DARK BASE PRO 900 | BLACK ATX Full Tower Case ($219.90 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1600W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($384.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer Predator X34 34.0" 3440x1440 100Hz Monitor ($1099.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Optical Mouse ($122.22 @ Amazon)
Other: 5.2GHz 7700K ($719.99)
Other: Topre Realforce RGB ($269.00)
Other: EKWB Cooling Loop ($832.96)
Total: $8691.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-31 19:37 EST-0500

The mentioned EK water cooling loop is here. The keyboard and mouse are extremely well regarded and my pick (but are, as always, subjective), but I left the headphones slot empty as a great ranger of preferences come into account (we have a really good headphones thread for that!).

This is just as far as I could take it with parts in stock, and more reserved aesthetic choices. As Big Headline mentioned, if you want to go crazy and try and find one, the ASRock Z270 SuperCarrier is best in class, and the dual 16x PCI-E slots actually have a measurable benefit for Titan X Pascal SLI. The high end ASRocks are also very well regarded for their extreme memory support, and you could probably try and find some DDR4-4266 for nothing else other than having the literal very best.

If you want to go for a particular aesthetic the sky is the limit there as well.

E: I feel I should too add to everyone else saying that this is a poor investment, but you already know that :shrug:

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 1, 2017

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
edit jfc, why didn't i post this in the ssd thread in the first place?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My mom's 7 year old desktop is onits lst legs. She mostly plays Farmville and a lot of other Facebook games, and would like to maybe start streaming Netflix, or at least have the option in the future. Would something like the desktop below be a good fit?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1INXJK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

My power supply fan is chirping. It's definitely the fan and not the capacitors. Is there anyway I can fix this without opening the case? I paid for a model with a ten year warranty and I don't want to open the case and void the warranty. On the other hand I'd rather not have to RMA it and be without a functioning computer for weeks while I wait for them to send me a new power supply.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

My power supply fan is chirping. It's definitely the fan and not the capacitors. Is there anyway I can fix this without opening the case? I paid for a model with a ten year warranty and I don't want to open the case and void the warranty. On the other hand I'd rather not have to RMA it and be without a functioning computer for weeks while I wait for them to send me a new power supply.

There's no good way to service or replace the fan from the outside of the power supply. Either you use your warranty or you void it by opening it up. If you open it up the best thing to do will be to desolder the old fan and solder in a new one, which you'll have to buy. I'd see if they'll cross-ship you a replacement so you can use your PC while it's being replaced.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Cool, thanks for the advice.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Honestly even at a budget of $Texas somewhere between half to most video games don't even support SLI of and those that do only about 2 will ever have any noticeable performance increase at 3440x1440 100hz, you're really better off spending that 1.6k on drugs and just having a single Titan X.

Status_Surge
Sep 9, 2009

I need ya, Surge. This is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the old blade runner, I need your magic.
I am going to go with ekwb water-cooling, and i started off in this venture to build an insanely powerful computer for gaming. I believe i found the Z270 that was suggested (unless im hallucinating) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157753 . When it comes to the aesthetics of the PC im going green/black but that doesn't really matter for the moment and i may just go with red/black. I may go into overclocking eventually but i want a powerful computer without it for now.

side note: if you are interested in where i'm getting this money, im getting nearly 120k in life insurance payout and im trying to turn it into something i enjoy because i already own my own home. the 28k pc crossed my mind but id rather build something and learn as im building it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
It's your money, but I think most people in the thread would agree that

(1) "future-proofing" is a silly thing to try for, given how quickly things advance, and
(2) you will get a lot more gaming enjoyment out of four $2000 computers spaced five years apart than you will a single $8000 computer now.

Edit: also, if you somehow mess something up catastrophically on a self-built $2k machine, you still have the rest of that money to buy replacements. It's unlikely to happen, but at $8-10k worth of parts I feel antsy about amateur assembly.

Edit again: if that is, indeed, the right motherboard, it doesn't appear to support DDR4-4000 RAM -- only goes to 3700ish. You could drop your RAM speed a bit (and save pocket change on the overall cost of this build) if you wanted to.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 1, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Grundulum posted:

Edit again: if that is, indeed, the right motherboard, it doesn't appear to support DDR4-4000 RAM -- only goes to 3700ish. You could drop your RAM speed a bit (and save pocket change on the overall cost of this build) if you wanted to.

ASRock's page says "3733+," but I'd concur. Also, part of the reason I spec'ed out those Falcon Northwest builds is exactly for the reason that when you get into a build like this, it does technically make sense to get someone else to do it. And those builds can be pared down considerably if you purchase at least the SSDs and storage drives after-market.

Status_Surge
Sep 9, 2009

I need ya, Surge. This is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the old blade runner, I need your magic.
so should i go with 64 gigs of ddr4 3200 ram or 32gb of 3733? also if im running 3 Acer XB271HU's will i be better off with just one titan xp?

edit: or should i just stick with ddr4 2400 so i don't have to overclock?

Status_Surge fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 1, 2017

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Status_Surge posted:

so should i go with 64 gigs of ddr4 3200 ram or 32gb of 3733? also if im running 3 Acer XB271HU's will i be better off with just one titan xp?

If you have money to burn, you might as well chase after the incremental gains. I suggest 32GB of 3733 since it is a little bit faster than the 3200, and literally nothing on the gaming horizon will come close to requiring 32GB of RAM, let alone 64.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Status_Surge posted:

The DDR4-4000 kit that I picked above is on the QVL list for the SuperCarrier, so you know it will work to it's rated speed.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Status_Surge posted:

You don't need to "overclock" for anything above 2400, just have a Z270 board and set XMP to on. Voltage/frequency/etc fuckery and cooling isn't usually needed for just RAM.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've almost finished building my new PC and I just found out that Noctua will send me a LGA 1151 mounting kit for my old NH-C12P CPU cooler I bought in 2009 for AMD II X4 955, completely free of charge! Wow. As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with the CPU cooler itself and its performance should be up there with all the newest and greatest, so thanks Noctua for saving me money!

Captain Hair posted:

Is it worth £22 to upgrade from 2400 to 3000mhz ram? It really didn't seem it at the time but aside from that one question I think I'm good to go :)

You'll only notice the difference in some very specific games, e.g. Fallout 4 was shown to scale massively with increased RAM speed.

Khablam posted:

There's no gaming dick bigger than SLI titans.

This guy is running 4-way SLI Titans but from what I've read, there is no official support for that in the majority of games so it requires a lot of tinkering. I assume he's some kind of millionaire because he likes to comment on the authenticity of GTA5 supercar mods in excruciating detail :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN_nzLCV-ZA

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Apparently it's possible to get eight titans in a dual-socket server motherboard. Don't know why anyone would though. Video says it's for GPU-based calculations, which I guess might make sense if it's cheaper than a Quadro?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

My mom's 7 year old desktop is onits lst legs. She mostly plays Farmville and a lot of other Facebook games, and would like to maybe start streaming Netflix, or at least have the option in the future. Would something like the desktop below be a good fit?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1INXJK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

You can use pretty much anything. For ease of moving I'd recommend a mini-PC or even a NUC though. It's not like she needs the minitower space to add in a huge heatsink, graphics card or 6 hard drives.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

peak debt posted:

You can use pretty much anything. For ease of moving I'd recommend a mini-PC or even a NUC though. It's not like she needs the minitower space to add in a huge heatsink, graphics card or 6 hard drives.

I looked at mini but they were all chrome boxes, and this tower has built-in wi-fi. Or maybe I missed the minis with Windows...

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

I looked at mini but they were all chrome boxes, and this tower has built-in wi-fi. Or maybe I missed the minis with Windows...

There's plenty of mini-pcs with Windows, like https://www.asus.com/us/Mini-PCs/VivoMini-Products/ or http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html
That tower is perfectly fine if you want to go with it. It's just that having a 20kg box isn't really necessary anymore if you only want to play Farmville.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

peak debt posted:

There's plenty of mini-pcs with Windows, like https://www.asus.com/us/Mini-PCs/VivoMini-Products/ or http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html
That tower is perfectly fine if you want to go with it. It's just that having a 20kg box isn't really necessary anymore if you only want to play Farmville.

Thanks, will check these out. I never know how to judge reviews on computers.

I never thought Farmville was heavy gaming but maybe her Farmville is so big and computer so slow it's considered high gaming.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Captain Hair posted:

Well as it turns out the ram was no longer available :( ended up paying an extra £10 to get the next cheapest I could find which was crucial ballistix 2666mhz.

Man BT is the worst place to buy from! The ram I ordered was discontinued but rather than let me know or send an email or anything, they put my entire order on hold without any warning!

Had to dig through and cancel the ram, but turned out worth it kinda.

Had to pay an extra £4 but it took me from 2666 crucial to 3000mhz corsair, my preferred brand :) it's also about 3cl quicker.

Hopefully that'll be the last hiccup :)

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So the goverment is giving me a fair bit of money for my tax returns. I want to build a computer that can play games at 4k at hopefully 50-60 fps. Will I need two GPU's for that? I've heard driver support for sli isn't the best for new releases so if I can get the job done with one card, I'd rather do that. Price isn't an option

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

free basket of chips posted:

So the goverment is giving me a fair bit of money for my tax returns. I want to build a computer that can play games at 4k at hopefully 50-60 fps. Will I need two GPU's for that? I've heard driver support for sli isn't the best for new releases so if I can get the job done with one card, I'd rather do that. Price isn't an option
Building around a single GeForce GTX 1080 should do the trick, although you'll probably have to turn down a few settings in the most graphically intensive games to get a steady 60fps at 4k. You can get a single Titan if you're insistant on maxing out detail settings right now, but you're probably better off pocketing the difference between that and a 1080, and using that money a year or two from now to upgrade to a future GPU that will be considerably more powerful than either the 1080 or the Titan. Just for reference, the last generation Titan is slightly less powerful than the current upper-mid range GTX 1070, a card that costs less than half of what the previous Titan sold for.

General consensus around here still seems to be that SLI builds aren't worth it either. Poor performance gains in many titles, potential instability issues, and increased electricity costs are often the reasons cited to stay with single card solutions.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I don't game a ton on my PC anymore, but I like to keep current, especially if it's something I can't get on console. That being said, what would be a reasonable upgrade to my gtx 970? I'm on 1080p for the foreseeable future, but I suppose I could always get a big tax return or bonus from work and build a whole new rig...

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Captain Yossarian posted:

I don't game a ton on my PC anymore, but I like to keep current, especially if it's something I can't get on console. That being said, what would be a reasonable upgrade to my gtx 970? I'm on 1080p for the foreseeable future, but I suppose I could always get a big tax return or bonus from work and build a whole new rig...

At 1080p, you could go for a RX 480, or a GTX 1060, for a mild performance boost and DX12/Vulkan support. But I'd advise against it, as a 970 is still good for almost anything at 1080p.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
4K gaming at high detail settings just isn't here yet. Try 1440p and a GTX 1080 card. You'll be able to max out any game on that setup for the next 2 or 3 years and 1440p is quite a jump from 1080p and gives you a ton of usable space on the screen for working when you're not playing games. 4K for work either makes things too tiny or doubles everything so you would have the same screen real estate as 1080p. 1440p is a really good happy medium.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I'm waiting on the new AMD Ryzen CPUs. I am currently looking at RAM since prices seem to be going up quite a bit. I want to get 3200 MHz sticks, but I'm worried about whether I can actually reach that speed without overclocking the CPU.

Is this possible with XMP/AMP profiles on an AMD board? (My current i5-750 overclocks when I choose the XMP setting in BIOS, Asus motherboard.)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah when you turn on XMP it usually turns on the overclocking options too but you don't have to use them.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

GutBomb posted:

Yeah when you turn on XMP it usually turns on the overclocking options too but you don't have to use them.

Thanks. When you say "don't have to use them," what do you mean? It overclocks the CPU, turns off turbo boost, etc. Do I just manually set it back?

Is it safe to assume that I'd reach 3200 on a high end Ryzen CPU?

EDIT: turbo boost simply disappears when turning on XMP.

small butter fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 2, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

GutBomb posted:

4K gaming at high detail settings just isn't here yet. Try 1440p and a GTX 1080 card. You'll be able to max out any game on that setup for the next 2 or 3 years and 1440p is quite a jump from 1080p and gives you a ton of usable space on the screen for working when you're not playing games. 4K for work either makes things too tiny or doubles everything so you would have the same screen real estate as 1080p. 1440p is a really good happy medium.

+ in games that you could max out in 4K on the card, you can use DSR to make aliasing artefacts smaller than pixels.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

This just went on sale today and would probably fit the bill (it's only $379.99 for one day): https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkcentre-M700-Intel-Intel-HD530/dp/B01N7JARWA

The RAM is upgradable and it has an M.2 slot (probably SATA only) under the 128GB SSD. You *will* have to at least get another 4GB SODIMM as Win10 with 4GB is a Bad Idea(tm).

EDIT: Out of stock and Amazon isn't honoring the Gold Box discount on backorders.

Techbargains has a Dell XPS listed for $480 after a coupon code and $75 rebate with (very weak) discrete graphics and an i5-6400.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 2, 2017

biscuitbandit
Oct 19, 2004
What GPU are you looking at to run an ASUS ROG SWIFT Curved PG348Q or Acer Predator X34 (just one, not multiple)?

A 1080, or Titan (or those in SLI)? I'm talking for current games such as Dishonoured 2, Overwatch, Doom, BF1 etc.

eames
May 9, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For that higher resolution, you definitely want the 1060. It's win-win - at the higher resolution you might have to compromise some eye candy, but at 60Hz 1080p the 1060 will handle anything you can throw at it.

The 1050Ti is honestly the best "add it to a pre-built" card.

Following up on this the GTX1060-6GB was definitely the right choice. Most games run at 2880x1800/Ultra/60FPS and streaming works perfectly fine with 20-30ms delay. (i.e. Project Cars, Overwatch, Rocket League, Dota 2, Bioshock Infinite)

Witcher 3 runs at 2880x1800/High/45FPS with Hairworks off and if that's representative for games of the future, I kind of makes me wish I would have bought a 1070. Witcher 3 is also the only game that takes a 10% performance hit from streaming with hardware encoding.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

biscuitbandit posted:

What GPU are you looking at to run an ASUS ROG SWIFT Curved PG348Q or Acer Predator X34 (just one, not multiple)?

A 1080, or Titan (or those in SLI)? I'm talking for current games such as Dishonoured 2, Overwatch, Doom, BF1 etc.

A single 1080 is going to be optimal, cost wise.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

What's better - the EVGA G2 750w or the EVGA G3 750w?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

booseek posted:

What's better - the EVGA G2 750w or the EVGA G3 750w?

Whichever is cheaper, unless you need the smaller size of the G3.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

I had the same question but with the 550w model, I'm building matx so went with the g3 as price was only about £3 different. But from what I gather they are for all intents and purposes pretty much identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GutBomb posted:

Thats a shame, but oh well. Just means I can plan a trip to ireland instead