Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yuns posted:

I have some weekend homework for you guys. Watch this video and consider the following questions.

https://youtu.be/pwbCEDBaWEM

1. Why would I NOT call this an arm in guillotine even though this instructor and others may disagree?

2. What is an alternative way to finish the choke from that final position other than the way the instructor shows i.e. is there a alternative way to squeeze for the finish?

1) call that an inverted anaconda choke. Same mechanism of submission as the anaconda, I reckon.

2) could you use a rear naked choke grip to finish? (just like a regular anaconda?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
That was quick. Yes, that is in fact more appropriately described as an arm triangle or anaconda variant. In an arm in guillotine, the opponent brings his arm around your body defensively. In this move the arm is across his own body.

The instructor finishes using arm in guillotine mechanics but it can be finished with any of the arm triangle grips including the RNC style you stated. In the RNC style the choking arm will grip your own bicep at your opponents armpit.

Finishing it as a arm triangle is totally different than doing so as a guillotine. Instead of bringing your choking arm elbow in toward your hip thus bringing your elbow inward deeper, in the arm triangle, you will instead rotate your choking arm elbow outward and upward so that your arm is rotating away from the trapped arm like you are trying to use your thumb to cut his throat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

I have some weekend homework for you guys. Watch this video and consider the following questions.

https://youtu.be/pwbCEDBaWEM

1. Why would I NOT call this an arm in guillotine even though this instructor and others may disagree?

2. What is an alternative way to finish the choke from that final position other than the way the instructor shows i.e. is there a alternative way to squeeze for the finish?

1. Because it's a kata gatame (anaconda?) variant. Uke is being choked by his own shoulder, whereas for an arm-in guillotine the trapped arm is across the body of the choking player.

2. Not sure. It should be possible to finish it by pushing the shoulder deeper into the neck a la a d'arce, but I can't think of how I'd do it. Maybe by bringing up the leg that's under the body into uke's tricep?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Full ShowTheART tournament here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOxbKIPA2ZA

I'm starting it now, from what I hear its worth watching to see Celestine (possibly butchering the name) heel hooking everyone in under a minute.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 29, 2017

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Kekekela posted:

Full ShowTheART tournament here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOxbKIPA2ZA

I'm starting it now, from what I hear its worth watching to see Celestine (possibly butchering the name) heel hooking everyone in under a minute.

yeah, I thought you were talking about ethan crelisten but the guy you're talking about I didn't hear about before, he's really good!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Odddzy posted:

yeah, I thought you were talking about ethan crelisten but the guy you're talking about I didn't hear about before, he's really good!
Jon Calestine was probably in the morning class when you visited Renzo's and took the class. He's another one of our guys.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 29, 2017

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

Jon Calestine was probably in the morning class when you visited Renzo's and took the class. He's another one of our guys.

It's kinda funny how much talent goes through Renzo's that i'm not aware of.

In other news, I had a tournament yesterday that didn't go as planned for me. We were in a small five person bracket and two guys pulled out. I have a feeling the organisers didn't modify the brackets in time to make us come anyways as we were the only guys in the division. I'm disappointed because two matches for 70$ is kinda stupid considering the time it took to get to the venue. Unfortunately for me, the other two guys were one dude from my school that's much better than I am at this point and the other is a Pro-MMA fighter with a wrestling background so you can imagine the shape he was in. Ruleset was Sub only, no points, five minutes and two minutes overtime, no leglocks besides the straight-ankle. I'm super pissed as the ruleset honestly sucked. most fights all ended with one guy doing a tepid takedown in overtime. I wish I didn't register for the no-gi part in the end as it's clear it was only made to appease the demand for it but the organizers don't really care about the format. The match with the MMA guy was lovely, he gripped my clothes and got a penality for it during overtime and did an eyepoke, We got replaced to the center of the mat and he also tried putting himself in halfguard instead of the butterfly guard he was in before the reset and besides that stalled until he got a takedown in overtime. The thing that makes me furious is that it was his third penality for gripping (two penalities in his previous match against my teammate) and it was during a takedown I had attempted in overtime, he got the penality but it doesn't count towards anything in overtime unless I stall to the end. Rethinking and Writing this down still kinda pisses me off and I don't plan on ever taking part in that ruleset again.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Anyone else watching Submission Underground 3?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

JaySB posted:

Anyone else watching Submission Underground 3?

Yeah.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

God damnit Jeffrey

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
That was kind of meh. Don't think I'll watch the next one.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Who was the pro fighter? I want to make sure to hate him.

I cannot loving stand a cheater in a non-pro setting who by far outclasses their opponent and chooses to cheat in match.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Who was the pro fighter? I want to make sure to hate him.

I cannot loving stand a cheater in a non-pro setting who by far outclasses their opponent and chooses to cheat in match.

Wut?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Sorry, phone posting makes me sound stupider than I am.

Actual meaning - I hate it when a competitor in a amateur or casual event outclasses their opponent and still feels the need to cheat.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Ohhh you're not talking about the SUG3 event

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

JaySB posted:

Ohhh you're not talking about the SUG3 event

That's Chael's show, right? I'm a few days behind on his podcast.

Anything worth checking out?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Yeah. There's a few slick matches and subs.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Nothing spectacular, but Glover vs. Chad$ was an interesting novelty and there was a well executed flying triangle in another match.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So my bjj gym just began doing 30 minute rolls during our advanced class. It was previously 5 minutes. Anyone else do this? Everyone there loved it apparently. I personally did. Thought it was great to get into a groove with someone and explore your game. Great fun.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The first gym I trained at had an hour of open mat every evening class and half an hour for the morning class. It was a small place when I was there so people preparing for competitions would take one half and everyone else got the other half.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah we have open mat too where we can do our thing, but this was implemented as part of our class. Really enjoyed it tbh. It depends greatly on who you roll with though obviously.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

So my bjj gym just began doing 30 minute rolls during our advanced class. It was previously 5 minutes. Anyone else do this? Everyone there loved it apparently. I personally did. Thought it was great to get into a groove with someone and explore your game. Great fun.

Mine does 30 minutes drill/class and 30 minute rolls during regular BJJ class. My rolling stamina increased amazingly from when I went to a gym that did 50 of drilling 10 of rolling.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I have had entire hour roll challenges before. It gets a bit like prowrestling, agreeing to a breather in guard in whispers.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Xguard86 posted:

I have had entire hour roll challenges before. It gets a bit like prowrestling, agreeing to a breather in guard in whispers.

We're not wrestling, we're just doing...this.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Choosing your partner very carefully is quite important in these situations.

At the first gym I trained at we would have to testing for promotions (demonstrate a certain number of guard passes, sweeps, subs from top, subs from bottom, etc) and part of it was you would have to roll for 3 rounds from standing for whatever the IBJJF round length for the belt you were trying to attain is. The rule of thumb was that if you were one of the opponents you would put up a fight but the goal was to make the guy who was testing look good. So I was one of the opponents for a buddy who was going for his brown. We grip up and he whispers "underhook." I feed the underhook and he hits a SICK fireman's carry. And the black belt who was grading him goes "noooo do it for real."

That was the last time I was involved in calling spots while grappling.

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Xguard86 posted:

I think my proudest BJJ accomplishment was a ~50 minute match in a no time limit sub only tournament where I basically tapped the guy out from exhaustion (somehow won my matches after that too). It's only been downhill from there...

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
If I had to roll with an upper belt for over an hour I would ask them to please gently kill me after about 7 minutes

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Wish me luck, this month I should start back at Jiu Jitsu. I'd really like to kick box or do something with striking but that might be permanently out. My fencing background made striking a little more natural and Jiu Jitsu feels like chess where I'm also bleeding and exhausted.

Anyways, where I was before had free rolling as a part of every class from beginner to expert. It was the best time of day for me.

My old gym was super stingy with belt advancement and stripes, which I liked. Could you all weigh in with how long it took you to get stripes and what not? My old gym had people who had been there a year without a stripe, but the few people I spoke to at the gym I intend to join are either prodigies or they give stuff out quicker.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

1st AD posted:

We're not wrestling, we're just doing...this.

Please. no submission, just rest.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Yuns posted:

On the 8th question, the instructor is correct. You all had great ideas on improving the angle and other ways of improving the triangle. But one key is that you do not have to lock the triangle under the armpit. You can lock the triangle OVER the front of the shoulder with the arm still trapped across. That way you are not fighting the width of the shoulder and back but rather the width of the neck and arm.
I hit this last night on a fat teammate. I hardly go for triangles nowadays and he thought I was crazy for trying it but little did he know I had goon help on my side. :smug:

I felt so confident I hit it on 2 other not fat teammates. Granted, I was successful against other blue belts - when I tried this on my purple and brown teammates my triangle setup was seen from a mile away and I was quickly stuffed. Which leads me to conclude my setup problem is greater than my short legs problem. :smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We need to combine these two smilies somehow under :bjj:

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

CommonShore posted:

We need to combine these two smilies somehow under :bjj:
It's pretty much how all my rolls go with the upper belts. Every. Single. Time.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Captain Log posted:

My old gym had people who had been there a year without a stripe,

Could this be just because they weren't learning or good enough at BJJ? I could see myself joining a BJJ club when i'm old and not wanting to strike anymore and never really progressing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

Wish me luck, this month I should start back at Jiu Jitsu. I'd really like to kick box or do something with striking but that might be permanently out. My fencing background made striking a little more natural and Jiu Jitsu feels like chess where I'm also bleeding and exhausted.

Anyways, where I was before had free rolling as a part of every class from beginner to expert. It was the best time of day for me.

My old gym was super stingy with belt advancement and stripes, which I liked. Could you all weigh in with how long it took you to get stripes and what not? My old gym had people who had been there a year without a stripe, but the few people I spoke to at the gym I intend to join are either prodigies or they give stuff out quicker.

From what I've read white->blue and blue->purple are pretty inconsistent from gym to gym, but white->purple tends to be more regular.

Some gyms rarely give out stripes and belts because they're lazy.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

From what I've read white->blue and blue->purple are pretty inconsistent from gym to gym, but white->purple tends to be more regular.

Huh?

willie_dee posted:

I could see myself joining a BJJ club when i'm old and not wanting to strike anymore and never really progressing.

What?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

JaySB posted:

Huh?

What?

You gotta ignore Willie dee in this thread, he 'trains' grappling on the ground at a planet fitness with his buddy who sells him steroids

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

He's saying there's a ton of variance in how quickly blue belts get given out between gyms, but the total time from white to purple has less variance. (ie schools that promote to blue early hold you there longer)
Possibly/probably true.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kekekela posted:

He's saying there's a ton of variance in how quickly blue belts get given out between gyms, but the total time from white to purple has less variance. (ie schools that promote to blue early hold you there longer)
Possibly/probably true.

yeah that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
My old school that I was briefly at wasn't lazy. They made a huge deal about stripes and belts. It just seemed that you had to really earn every inch, which I dug. When I spoke to the reception girl (she seemed very young) I think she was a blue belt after a year or something. It struck me as fast but maybe she is excellent.

The old school wouldn't really hand out stripes or belts unless you won a competition. I remember being there for a purple belt ceremony that was a surprised to the recipient. He had to run the ole' Diaz gauntlet but with belts. Did I mention about half the school was Brazilian immigrants?

Anyways, that's so loving cool that goon advice is helping dude land triangles. I think I'm going to grow into loving this thread if this month goes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

My old school that I was briefly at wasn't lazy. They made a huge deal about stripes and belts. It just seemed that you had to really earn every inch, which I dug. When I spoke to the reception girl (she seemed very young) I think she was a blue belt after a year or something. It struck me as fast but maybe she is excellent.

The old school wouldn't really hand out stripes or belts unless you won a competition. I remember being there for a purple belt ceremony that was a surprised to the recipient. He had to run the ole' Diaz gauntlet but with belts. Did I mention about half the school was Brazilian immigrants?

I got my blue belt in 4 months...

Stripes and belts at my gym are just representations of time spent on the mat. Obviously, with that time you acquire knowledge/skill.

I don't really agree with the idea of forcing people to compete to advance their belt level.