Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cullen's French is fine.

As for moving left, well

quote:

NDP leadership candidate Nathan Cullen says he stands out among his colleagues because he is an “unabashedly” pro-business politician who is prepared to work with the other opposition parties to hold the Conservative government to account.

“Yeah, I am a pro-business New Democrat. I don’t know if you have a lot of those at your table here,” the lone B.C. MP in the contest told the Toronto Star’s editorial board Tuesday.

“I unabashedly believe in the private sector’s capacity to innovate and create the kind of wealth we need to pay for the social programs that we deserve,” he said.

The next NDP leader will be picked at a March 24 convention in Toronto.

Cullen told the editorial board that “I may the least partisan person that you folks are going to see” and believes his brand of pragmatism is what Canadians are looking for.

“I think sometimes the winner take all attitude is not reflective of some of the Canadian values I hold dearly, hence my proposal to seek co-operation with other parties,” he said, acknowledging that is not a popular stand with many of his opponents.

Cullen said he is holding back on his economic policy for a couple of weeks, “but all of those policies speak to wealth creation” while balancing them off with environmental and social concerns.

“I enjoy the idea of free enterprise going out and trying to earn a buck, honestly … I guess because I come from a small business background I don’t see evil everywhere,” said Cullen, whose consulting business involved resolving conflicts.

Cullen said he has to convince partisans inside the party “that we need to be electable, we need to choose somebody who can stand and face the prime minister for the next three years, but then stand in the general election and do very well.”

Cullen suggested that he was slightly at odds with his party’s view that Quebec suddenly woke up and fell in love with New Democrats last May. He said it was the pragmatism of late party leader Jack Layton and the party that cause Quebecers to turn their backs on the Bloc Québécois and the Liberals.

“I think there are a number of people in my party who completely misunderstand what happened on May 2. And there are some that just say ‘we just stay the course and we’ll be government in three years’ and I think they are dead wrong,” he said. “I think we need to innovate, we need to continue to challenge ourselves and challenge Canadians to show our pragmatic qualities as much as our partisan qualities.”

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
:lol: Well isn't my face red.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gently caress "pro-business" Cullen. Jagmeet at least acknowledges that massive wealth and class divides are a problem which put him to the left of most NDPers who just want to prattle on about how they support small business *THIS* much. I want some of that juicy Jagmeet.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It just makes me so upset that maybe... MAYBE he'd be honest. But nope, duped again.

It just makes me not wanna care at all and turn off the news. Focus on myself and gently caress the world.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

-He's been pitched to me as radical on social justice issues and willing to listen to sound advice on economics, which I know you'll love.

IDK about Helsing but I do love this because it is true that any lip service regarding social justice without addressing the massive and ever growing wealth inequality both nationally and world wide really is just pandering. If this guy were running nationally and actually stuck to his guns about this I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I don't want to come off as dismissing the importance of who is leader because that does matter in a lot of ways but personally I'm distressed by the NDP is basically putting off any talk about the direction or future of the party until the leadership race is in full swing. Most of what went wrong is not, in my opinion, reducible to who was in charge.

What kind of party does the NDP actually want to be and what would its goals be once in power? It still just comes off as a more progressive and less corrupt clone of the Liberal party, which means if they ever actually won they'd probably end up governing pretty much the same as Trudeau. Maybe a bit less incompetent, since they'd be facing more pressure to prove themselves, and hopefully a few less cash-for-access scandals, but basically the same.

You look at older CCF / very early NDP governments and they actually had a pretty significant day-to-day impact on the lives of the majority of the population when they were in office. Policies, notably healthcare, that we take for granted today were only achieved with long and hard struggle by those previous governments. There seems to be zero prospect that a contemporary NDP government would be like that. In fact we can look at recent NDP governments out west and see they are essentially no different from any other party in most ways. I'll give some kudos to the Alberta NDP for resisting calls to implement major austerity measures but they're still essentially just another party that accepts the permanent existence of poverty and other social ills as something that the government cannot address.

Maybe in the 1990s and 2000s when people still believed deep in their bones that we were at the "end of history" this kind of small-ball politics was acceptable. But given what has happened in the US and Europe the idea that nothing outside a very narrow range of status quo options is achievable is no longer plausible. If the NDP can't get its poo poo together they may find within a few years that they are following their western European social democratic counter-parts into the ashbin of history. And it'll be exactly what they deserve.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cullen chose not to run and instead focus his efforts on making electoral reform pass which

you know

(The pro-business thing doesn't look great but it's a little vague to get up in arms about imo, he's also got the charisma and passion to be a good leader, but I guess it's irrelevant because he was pretty clear about not running)

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Cullen's pro-business comments don't really make him stand out much from the rest of the elected party to be honest.

We're talking about a party that came as close as it ever came to power in the same year as Occupy Wall Street and mass protests against austerity in Europe. And their reaction was to elect their most right-wing leader for the next election and then to run a campaign around balanced budgets. That's a level of rot that can't just be pinned on one bad leader.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
the term 'pro business' should be met with as much disdain as 'pro middle class' because you know that in both cases they really mean people with too much loving money.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also way back in the day the NDP and CCF would actively try to change the minds of voters to support their policies, it was something they'd do between elections and was how they accomplished real things. If anything that was much more important and beneficial work than actually "winning" the election. They had a set of goals and they'd try to sell those goals, to convince people, to change people's minds, to shift the political winds. Today's NPD seems to view people as static things, and just base their policies and campaign around what they think people will currently vote for rather than actually trying to change anyone's views. This makes the party absolutely useless as the liberals already have a lock down on that role as ideological weathervanes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Pro business" doesn't mean anything. Just like "pro middle class".

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
"There is no consensus. There is no clear path forward. It would be irresponsible to do something that harms Canada's stability when in fact what we need is moving forward on growth for the middle class."
-JT

What a loving piece of poo poo. MIDDLE CLASS MIDDLE CLASS.

*drowns in vomit*

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I agree about all that NDP stuff including the disdain for labeling oneself "pro-business" but it's not enough for me to write somebody off on that alone without specific policy stuff. I think I remember Jack Layton described himself as pro small business, or something like that.

E: I wish less people would identify as middle class

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Also way back in the day the NDP and CCF would actively try to change the minds of voters to support their policies, it was something they'd do between elections and was how they accomplished real things. If anything that was much more important and beneficial work than actually "winning" the election. They had a set of goals and they'd try to sell those goals, to convince people, to change people's minds, to shift the political winds. Today's NPD seems to view people as static things, and just base their policies and campaign around what they think people will currently vote for rather than actually trying to change anyone's views. This makes the party absolutely useless as the liberals already have a lock down on that role as ideological weathervanes.

Yeah but this in turn requires interfacing with unions and social movements, which means ceding some control of the party, which is considered suicidal in the context of a modern election where a single "gaffe" is thought to potentially destroy an entire campaign.

And in fairness to the NDP the unions are more conservative and social movements are a lot less political and a lot more inclined to either fight issues through the court systems rather than in the streets. That and the whole circular-firing-squad culture that a lot of the left has devolved into make it a much more daunting prospect to actually organize a sustainable social movement that could actually sway people's opinions.

That having been said, the barriers facing the people who fought for healthcare or the eight hour work day or various other reforms of the past were often literally being jailed and beaten so it's pretty pathetic how lacking in vision the modern NDP is.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Small businesses are just businesses that are either going to be big or not good enough to be big. Pro small business is even dumber than pro business.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I agree about all that NDP stuff including the disdain for labeling oneself "pro-business" but it's not enough for me to write somebody off on that alone without specific policy stuff. I think I remember Jack Layton described himself as pro small business, or something like that.

Jack Layton is largely responsible for the NDP being poo poo and people need to get over this cult of personality that has developed around him. Layton won his original leadership contest by associating himself with the New Politics Initiative which was calling for some fundamental reforms of the party's structure and mission. Once in office he pretty quickly ditched all that and steered the NDP into the third way direction it's followed ever since.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tsyni posted:

"There is no consensus. There is no clear path forward. It would be irresponsible to do something that harms Canada's stability when in fact what we need is moving forward on growth for the middle class."
-JT

What a loving piece of poo poo. MIDDLE CLASS MIDDLE CLASS.

*drowns in vomit*

Astute minds will notice the exact same wording could (and probably will) be applied to Bill C-51 reform, independent of whatever brucio's wife is working on.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The NDP should just be hammering on the Liberals everyday for the dumb bullshit "middle class" policies they have enacted. Instead Mulcair gets angry about Trump or something and we have re-evaluate our lives through a gendered lens.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Astute minds will notice the exact same wording could (and probably will) be applied to Bill C-51 reform, independent of whatever brucio's wife is working on.

Well, right after that Trudeau said they are focusing their efforts on cyber-security to protect Canadian elections. Probably need some enhanced policing powers to do that properly. The middle class must be protected.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
True, my original point was that it wasn't totally forgotten. There's stuff going on.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

brucio posted:

True, my original point was that it wasn't totally forgotten. There's stuff going on.

How's the weed file looking?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Stamped with Election 2019

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

James Baud posted:

The street protests so far are basically sore loser tantrums in extremely blue states

Thanks—we'd gone far too long in this thread without an utterly clueless Canadian hot take on U.S. politics.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

First time I've called my MP, and have talked a bunch of my friends/co-workers into doing the same. Apparently my Liberal MP has been getting a bunch of calls about it, which is good. Especially with all of the stuff that's been going down on the continent this weekend, I'm just been so angry about things without feeling like I had a productive way to direct it. This seems like a great place to focus it for now.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Helsing posted:

Jack Layton is largely responsible for the NDP being poo poo and people need to get over this cult of personality that has developed around him. Layton won his original leadership contest by associating himself with the New Politics Initiative which was calling for some fundamental reforms of the party's structure and mission. Once in office he pretty quickly ditched all that and steered the NDP into the third way direction it's followed ever since.

I don't necessarily disagree. He also gained increased support for the NDP in every federal election. I get the trouble of thinking with that lens, but the Layton NDP was still worth voting for. I think you're also downplaying the last 5 years as well.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Whatever they do with weed is going to be middle-of-the-road dogshit like C-14 was. Don't assume they aren't going to gently caress this up too.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I don't necessarily disagree. He also gained increased support for the NDP in every federal election. I get the trouble of thinking with that lens, but the Layton NDP was still worth voting for. I think you're also downplaying the last 5 years as well.

Believe me I did more than just vote for the Layton NDP, I volunteered and donated and did crap at the riding association / convention level. Hell, a younger and more naive version of myself even helped Layton's wife doing some really gross behind-the-scenes stuff to gently caress the more progressive policy initiatives being fought for by the party. In fact I would say participating behind the scenes did more than anything to convince me that all these compromises the party was making weren't in service to any larger goal or agenda beyond getting the people involved into office. A younger and more naive version of myself was totally willing to make compromises in exchange for winning the power to actually improve things. What I was forced to realize, in particular after watching the last Layton era convention in Vancouver, was that the people who have completely destroyed internal democracy in the party aren't doing it out of fidelity to some higher purpose. If they do get into power they'll just be another government and 90% of the population or more proably wouldn't notice any difference in their lives whatsoever.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 26, 2018

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I know you're being cute but there's a branch at Tunney's dedicated to it

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Is this the part where everyone realizes that CI was right?

Don't vote.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Helsing posted:

Believe me I did more than just vote for the Layton NDP, I volunteered and donated and did crap at the riding association / convention level. Hell, a younger and more naive version of myself even helped Layton's wife doing some really gross behind-the-scenes stuff to gently caress the more progressive policy initiatives being fought for by the party. In fact I would say participating behind the scenes did more than anything to convince me that all these compromises the party was making weren't in service to any larger goal or agenda beyond getting the people involved into office. A younger and more naive version of myself was totally willing to make compromises in exchange for winning the power to actually improve things. What I was forced to realize, in particular after watching the last Layton era convention in Vancouver, was that the people who have completely destroyed internal democracy in the party aren't doing it out of fidelity to some higher purpose. If they do get into power they'll just be another government and 90% of the population or more proably wouldn't notice any difference in their lives whatsoever.

Can't really argue with that.

FWIW I'm not saying that I prefer that type of party, just that I'd vote for it.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Coxswain Balls posted:

First time I've called my MP, and have talked a bunch of my friends/co-workers into doing the same. Apparently my Liberal MP has been getting a bunch of calls about it, which is good. Especially with all of the stuff that's been going down on the continent this weekend, I'm just been so angry about things without feeling like I had a productive way to direct it. This seems like a great place to focus it for now.

I read your post and did it too. I had nice polite chat about disingenuous politicians feeding right into people's cynicism. The guy said he'd had a few calls about it already and was pretty exasperated sounding fwiw.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I'm repeating myself here (most of my posts are pretty repetitive now that I think about it) but I guarantee you whatever the Liberals come up with will, in practice, mean more police attention and resources going into enforcing pointless laws about marijuana. Just look at who they appointed to the file and what they put in their campaign pledge:

quote:

We will legalize, regulate, and restrict access to marijuana.

Canada’s current system of marijuana prohibition does not work. It does not prevent young people from using marijuana and too many Canadians end up with criminal records for possessing small amounts of the drug.

Arresting and prosecuting these offenses is expensive for our criminal justice system. It traps too many Canadians in the criminal justice system for minor, non-violent offenses. At the same time, the proceeds from the illegal drug trade support organized crime and greater threats to public safety, like human trafficking and hard drugs.

To ensure that we keep marijuana out of the hands of children, and the profits out of the hands of criminals, we will legalize, regulate, and restrict access to marijuana.

We will remove marijuana consumption and incidental possession from the Criminal Code, and create new, stronger laws to punish more severely those who provide it to minors, those who operate a motor vehicle while under its influence, and those who sell it outside of the new regulatory framework.

We will create a federal/provincial/territorial task force, and with input from experts in public health, substance abuse, and law enforcement, will design a new system of strict marijuana sales and distribution, with appropriate federal and provincial excise taxes applied.

Until now marijuana laws have mostly been a convenient catch-all excuse for the police to stop and search people. Now there is going to be an actual incentive to enforce laws more actively since there will be a for-profit industry probably offering generous donations to police associations or inviting officers to come up to the Muskokas for a fancy weekend retreat where they can hear the industry's latest concerns.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

James Baud posted:

The protesters aren't there for some random people held up at immigration, they're there because "GRR, Trump" protest #2 while they're still caught up the excitement from protest #1

People are held up at immigration for bullshit reasons every single day and nobody cares. Plus there are far greater injustices going on every day that most people largely continue to not give a poo poo about because they aren't a day old and done by their great enemy. (Mostly linked back to poverty at home or abroad, since otherwise someone will ask for a list.)

Obama abruptly ending the Cuban instant green card on his way out the door probably stranded significantly more people than Trump just did with barely a stir outside Miami.

Ahhh yes the always winning Whataboutism argument. Just gently caress off with this garbage.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Lassitude posted:

Whatever they do with weed is going to be middle-of-the-road dogshit like C-14 was. Don't assume they aren't going to gently caress this up too.

Pretty much anything they do with it is going to gently caress it up from where it sits now, at least in Vancouver.

Tons of friendly and knowledgeable shops in walking distance with every product under the sun. Reasonable prices. Many have even dropped the pretense of talking to a "doctor" about your "stress" first. Hell I can get it delivered in a couple hours via an app on my phone if I want.

I realize the law/fuzzy lack of law is being enforced differently (even between the different munis in Metro Van) and clarity / regulation is required across the board so we all have the same rules and expectations, but man it's like weed utopia over here in Van Proper if you like the stuff. I'm being selfish!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's the same in Victoria, but a place tried to open in langford and was raided by the RCMP the minute it opened.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 26, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Butcher posted:

Pretty much anything they do with it is going to gently caress it up from where it sits now, at least in Vancouver.

Tons of friendly and knowledgeable shops in walking distance with every product under the sun. Reasonable prices. Many have even dropped the pretense of talking to a "doctor" about your "stress" first. Hell I can get it delivered in a couple hours via an app on my phone if I want.

I realize the law/fuzzy lack of law is being enforced differently (even between the different munis in Metro Van) and clarity / regulation is required across the board so we all have the same rules and expectations, but man it's like weed utopia over here in Van Proper if you like the stuff. I'm being selfish!

This is actually terrible, because all of this poo poo is still illegal.

AirBnBs on every corner and Uber for a fraction of the price of taxis is great for consumers too, in the short term.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

James Baud posted:

Well, stop pretending tens of thousands of people very much care about whether total strangers get off their planes

I think a lot more people than you think care about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TLny6H7frg

"I wanted Preferential Ballot, the other parties didn't, so we ain't doing poo poo. Besides, what we REALLY need to focus on is growth for the Middle Class."

Do cowardly governments in other countries hide behind the "middle class" as a shield so blatantly?