Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

ShutteredIn posted:

Meg Whitman getting involved in anything is basically a death knell.

She was better than our last 3 CEOs :shepicide:

Crazy Ted posted:

Well I think you can cross Sacramento off the list:

https://twitter.com/SacRepublicFC/status/826836262724202497

That went from "stone cold lock" to "oh my god what a shitshow" in record time didn't it

Still more likely to get a team than Miami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Still more likely to get a team than Miami.
I think at this point Green Bay, Wisconsin is more likely to land an MLS team than Beckham Club Miami.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

There is no way they can keep expanding what the gently caress are they thinking

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Ciprian Maricon posted:

There is no way they can keep expanding what the gently caress are they thinking

It's insane. The league needs to split in to two if they're really adding four more teams.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Apparently there was already friction between Nagle and the original founding owners before this happened. So either it was a completely toxic partnership that would have imploded anyway, or Nagle got drunk on his own hubris and completely misread the situation. I guess we'll never get an MLS team after this

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Crazy Ted posted:

I believe we have a name for this: THE SACRAMENTO SCREWJOB

Hey quit searching my Redtube history.

Oof this is brutal for Sacramento, sorry guys. Where does the team even go from here? The original owners should take this Nagle guy to the cleaners.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Gigi Galli posted:

It's insane. The league needs to split in to two if they're really adding four more teams.

Five if Miami ever happens (it won't).

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I hope Beckham just goes rogue and tries to plop a team down in Albuquerque or some poo poo. There has to be some random city government trying to talk to him

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Fat Lowtax posted:

I hope Beckham just goes rogue and tries to plop a team down in Albuquerque or some poo poo. There has to be some random city government trying to talk to him

Garber's testicles should just loving drop already so he can tell him to poo poo or get off the pot

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

ShutteredIn posted:

Meg Whitman getting involved in anything is basically a death knell.

whypick1 posted:

She was better than our last 3 CEOs :shepicide:

Damning with faint praise.

She started the sharp decline though; once that happens each new CEO seems worse than the last, but, that's kind of due to an accumulative effect. HP has been on a particularly bad run of CEOs though. (Edit nevermind I was thinking of the other HP CEO failed political candidate.)

Gigi Galli posted:

Five more if you count Miami.

My theory is that since traditional pro/rel won't happen, and MLS is Single Entity, best just to keep expanding MLS until it covers every viable market, and institute pseudo-pro/rel within the Single Entity MLS.

Fat Lowtax posted:

Beckham and his partners (Miami Beckham United) apparently don't have the money to build a SSS, in a really bad location in Miami (Overtown), so he's not going to have the money to build a SSS anywhere else, either. He needs an additional billionaire investor. He's had three years trying in Miami, at four different locations. MBU has been trying to get it done at the fourth location in Overtown for over a year, and has tried at least three different potential new owners (that we know of, and no doubt many more that we don't know about) without success. I think it may be the Overtown location that is the deal killer. When MBU hit the 1,000 day anniversary late last year, Tim Leiweke came out with a statement that MBU would have a big announcement by the end of the year. November and December came and went without a peep. This past January Don Garber was saying that Miami was going to happen real soon now, but we've seen absolutely no signs of that yet.

People point to Las Vegas as possibly David Beckham's backup plan, due to the Oakland Raiders wanting to build an NFL stadium in Las Vegas partly paid for by Sheldon Adelson. There are several problems with this theory: MLS said no to Las Vegas a few years ago; Las Vegas is a small market (40th TV market) with not terribly good demographics for MLS (ie, relative lack of soccer moms/dads and urban millennial hipster types; lower wage transitory population, etc.); and more particularly, no one bothered to submit an application for Las Vegas to MLS before the January 31st deadline. If the Raiders owners or Sheldon Adelson want an MLS team to share their NFL stadium with, they aren't doing any of the necessary legwork to make it happen. This will make it difficult for Beckham to pivot to Las Vegas at the last minute if/when he admits that Miami won't happen.

If Beckham does go looking for a backup city to replace Miami, I think Garber would probably insist that he talk to one of the 12 current MLS expansion candidates. Since Beckham needs an additional billionaire owner, and a SSS, he isn't likely to find a candidate that isn't already one of these 12 MLS expansion candidates, in any case. Everyone who is serious about MLS has already put in their application for MLS expansion by the January 31st deadline.

As it so happens the Tampa Bay Rowdies owner and some Rowdies fans have already been thinking along these lines:

quote:

Rowdies Contacted David Beckham About Possibly Partnering in Tampa Bay

By Jake Nutting on 01/04/2017

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/rowdies-contacted-david-beckham-about-possibly-partnering-in-tampa-bay-56741/

Time may be running out for David Beckham to get a stadium deal done for his long-gestating franchise in Miami, but he may have another option on the table — if he returns the messages the Tampa Bay Rowdies have left for him.

Only a little under a month into formally launching their campaign to bring the league back to Tampa Bay, the Rowdies say they have contacted David Beckham a few times to gauge his interest in checking out what they’ve built on the west coast of the state.

In an interview with EoS, Rowdies Owner Bill Edwards acknowledged he’d more than entertained the notion of calling up the former England star after his well-documented struggles in finalizing a deal in Miami – he actually dialed the English star.

“That’s come up so many times and there have been so many letters saying ‘Why doesn’t Beckham come to St Petersburg?” Edwards said. “The answer is yes, we have. We’ve tried to reach out to no avail, but [Beckham] should just come visit and take a look.”

Edwards even relied on some help from another former star of the England national team to get in touch with Beckham. According to Edwards, current Rowdies midfielder and past Premier League champion Joe Cole has been in contact with Beckham recently.

“We’ve got one of [Beckham’s] former teammates here — Joe Cole,” he said. “They played for years together. Joe’s reached out. They’re old friends. I can’t tell you what Joe and he said to each another, but we do know that Joe has done that.”

It's a very long shot but, but better to ask than not ask. Who knows what might happen. Rowdies do have the Florida, urban, downtown waterfront stadium that Beckham wanted in Miami, but could not get. He just needs to look 4 hours drive north of Miami.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 2, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Do over Ham posted:

Damning with faint praise.

She started the sharp decline though; once that happens each new CEO seems worse than the last, but, that's kind of due to an accumulative effect. HP has been on a particularly bad run of CEOs though.

Uh, Whitman was the last CEO before the split and is still the CEO of HPE (which is not the one I work for). Did you confuse her with Fiorina (who definitely tanked the company)?

Do over Ham posted:

As it so happens the Tampa Bay Rowdies owner and some Rowdies fans have already been thinking along these lines:

It's a very long shot but, but better to ask than not ask. Who knows what might happen. Rowdies do have the Florida, urban, downtown waterfront stadium that Beckham wanted in Miami, but could not get. He just needs to look 4 hours drive north of Miami.

Split the difference and put the team in Cape Coral :v:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Uh, Whitman was the last CEO before the split and is still the CEO of HPE (which is not the one I work for). Did you confuse her with Fiorina (who definitely tanked the company)?

Split the difference and put the team in Cape Coral :v:

Thanks I do get those two confused.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
This is now official, seems to be a loan with an option to make permanent

https://mobile.twitter.com/ATLUTD/status/827196101014994944

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Seems like Atlanta has made a signing every week since they were announced.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Apparently the two sides met with the Sacramento mayor today and made good progress in coming together to an agreement. For all the outrage against Nagle, I'm wondering if Smith was being too stubborn during negotiations and Nagle primed the self-destruct button in order to get Smith to back down a bit.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

So far this off season we have managed to turn rights for Mears, Blanco, Almiron and some lovely draft pick into 250K of GAM which we will probably end up using to bribe Houston or some poo poo so we can sign Montero.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Onyewu got a red card in the first preseason game against DC. Anyone actually see it?

Also, FOOTIE IS BACK BABAY.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Apparently the two sides met with the Sacramento mayor today and made good progress in coming together to an agreement. For all the outrage against Nagle, I'm wondering if Smith was being too stubborn during negotiations and Nagle primed the self-destruct button in order to get Smith to back down a bit.

Looks like it worked

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

The only reason I would want to see a team in Miami is so we can have fun predicting whether it becomes financially underwater before becoming literally underwater. :v:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Dempsey is playing :neckbeard:

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

whypick1 posted:

Freddy Adu is playing :neckbeard:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
is this Seattle game being streamed somewhere?

E: oh it's on youtube

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

whypick1 posted:

It's still going to be a few months before he's cleared to slap guys in the junk.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Moktaro posted:

The only reason I would want to see a team in Miami is so we can have fun predicting whether it becomes financially underwater before becoming literally underwater. :v:

Waterworld 2, starring David Beckham as The Mariner.

Today, Feb. 5th, marks the 3rd year anniversary of David Beckham's Miami announcement.

MLS front office still putting out lots of vague happytalk about Miami happening real soon, any day now. :rolleyes:

I'll bet they do their best to ignore this particular anniversary.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Okay, the new Fire jersey is pretty cool.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
That's a lovely shirt. Simple, elegant, not blue.

WangNV
Mar 22, 2001
I'm so lonely
Dax is going to look good in that.

:smith:

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

WangNV posted:

Dax is going to look good in that.

:smith:

Well that's painful to learn. Dax always seems like the hardest working player on the field.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Meanwhile, the Whitecaps are going to trot this out:

That is just....no.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

That is just....no.

The front looks like pajamas, or a tablecloth, or something.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I dunno, I kind of like that Vancouver shirt

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

whypick1 posted:

That is just....no.

it stinks

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

The front looks like pajamas, or a tablecloth, or something.

Pajamas is exactly what I was thinking

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

I don't think it's terrible, but it's absolutely a downgrade from what they did have.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Welcome to GBS posted:

I don't think it's terrible, but it's absolutely a downgrade from what they did have.

Yeah, we've had a bunch of really awesome thirds the past couple of years and this...isn't one of them. Even for their stated theme there are probably better ways they could have pulled it off.

Oh, well, I don't buy our jerseys anyway (given my employment it may in fact be literally illegal for me to wear one) so not my problem.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, we've had a bunch of really awesome thirds the past couple of years and this...isn't one of them. Even for their stated theme there are probably better ways they could have pulled it off.

Oh, well, I don't buy our jerseys anyway (given my employment it may in fact be literally illegal for me to wear one) so not my problem.

Rogers or Shaw?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

Rogers or Shaw?

Right idea, wrong side of the revolving door.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

:geno:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Simple.

Simple is good. Not simple gets you weird poo poo like gradients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Is it denim?

I want too die

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 8, 2017

• Locked thread