Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Glacier's actually automatic believe it or not, for a C rank and 45 casings base price it's really quite nice especially if you find it on the first floor. I don't know if you'd have gotten the Wallmonger on the ammo you had for it at the time but it deals 8 damage base + 6 for the explosion which is actually 5 more points of damage than the Void Marshal. It's 5x slower to shoot, sure, but you might not have taken that hit thanks to bullet destruction.

Glacier's one of my favorite guns so far. It carried me through my longest run yet (that is to say, getting the Beholster down to a sliver of health before eating a bullet myself).

As for guns that do and don't work, I'm starting to think of this game like Dark Souls, appropriately enough. You can make anything work, if you're good and/or persistent enough.

Edit: Or lucky enough. Can't forget plain old blind luck.

Apropos of nothing, I've had two runs in a row where I'm finding red chests in the Lair of the Lead Lord. :stare:

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

For Gungeon's sake you can make the Klobbe work if you have the Cog of Battle. Spread disappears and damage is multiplied by 10 through that synergy. Not sure how you'd make the Unfinished Gun work though.

Also I once found a black chest in the Lair, but I'm not even sure I opened it before dying. Such is life.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I know one of those awkward guns that I just super love seeing is the alien engine. Extremely short range and super awkward to use but it absolutely tears through your normal rooms, with a bit of practice you can use the recoil from firing it intentionally well and do it and run attacks fairly safely.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Agent355 posted:

I know one of those awkward guns that I just super love seeing is the alien engine. Extremely short range and super awkward to use but it absolutely tears through your normal rooms, with a bit of practice you can use the recoil from firing it intentionally well and do it and run attacks fairly safely.

Heavy boots will also remove the recoil entirely, so you can walk right up to enemies and melt them without blasting yourself around the room. Most of the "unusable" guns have some sort of synergy that will make them good, even the pea shooter.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
It occurs to me that remote controlled bullets would work amazingly with guns like the Thompson and other high-spread automatic weapons. That'd probably get pretty crazy, come to think of it.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
What about stuff with bullets that bounce, like the Brick Breaker?

C-constant damage?!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The remote-controlled bullets basically carried me during my last run. Scruffy kind of showed it off, but they're fantastic with guns that fire slow-moving high-damage bullets, because you can basically stand behind a corner and remote bombs into chumps all day.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

While the potion of gun friendship is really good an important note about it is that every boss in the game has a DPS cap, so if you're not careful with your fire rate you can often wind up spending a ton of ammo for functionally no damage. Low fire rate high damage guns seem to ignore that mechanic entirely.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Einwand posted:

While the potion of gun friendship is really good an important note about it is that every boss in the game has a DPS cap, so if you're not careful with your fire rate you can often wind up spending a ton of ammo for functionally no damage. Low fire rate high damage guns seem to ignore that mechanic entirely.

I thought that was removed with Supply Drop?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Far as I'm aware the only change to the damage cap was adding yari launcher to the "ignore mechanic" list, consisting entirely of the makeshift cannon and yari launcher.

You can see the damage cap in effect against the lich fight when he uses the gilded hydra in the most recent video. Phase 2 lich has 2100 hp, and the gilded hydra does 80 damage per shot before damage bonuses meaning it should die in 26.25 shots, instead he emptied the entire thing into it and only got about three fourths of its hp.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 1, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

There is a 'gun' that I wish could be used in a special Hotline Miami-esque challenge mode for a whole run. No secret room reveals or long range shot options without some luck would be rough but I imagine good plays of that would be pretty awesome to watch.

Skippy Granola posted:

What about stuff with bullets that bounce, like the Brick Breaker?

C-constant damage?!

There's another bullet type that makes every gun like that. It's extremely rad even without Remote Bullets and as long as you don't do something dumb like let the enemy actually have line of sight on you or constantly aim poorly it'll make every room that isn't wide open a joke.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
One new gun I recently found is called the Face Melter. Basically, it's a guitar that fires in a cross-shaped pattern, centered on the player.

I had that and remote bullets :getin:

Edit: fixed my wrong info. Teach me to post without double-checking facts.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 2, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thats an old gun you filthy casual!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It's also called the Face Melter, not the Face Mashed. Supply Drop did make it a better gun than it used to be, though.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I watched the health bars there and it looked like you were one shot from victory. That was heartbreaking.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Remote bullets are hilarious with shot guns, you don't so much fire a spread as a highly packed ball of compact death. As for bouncing guns remote bullets also breaks them, just not in a good way, the bullets hit the wall, try to bounce then unless you immediately change the direction your aiming it will turn right back into the wall. At least that's how it works with a controller, not sure how it works better with a mouse.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Less pedantry more pistolry, you absolute donks.

Anyway Face Melter is my run winner. I had an elder blank and a lichy trigger finger and brought down the Berlin Wall with the power of rock.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Would remote+ghost bullets allow a round to hit a target, penetrate, wheel around, and hit/penetrate again? Is that combo as awesome as I think it is?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
One hundred deaths in, I finally make it to the Dragun for the third time, with three hits left before I die. I manage to kill him one hit away from death, and my 101st run is my first win. I owe it all to two doses of PopPop and the Back-up Gun.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Ugh Scruffy, now I need to hear you sing!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Tendales posted:

The room before that room.

It's true - just under 2 minutes in, when he's saying 198 bullet kin left.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I just got done watching the video. The last fight pretty well sums up most of my boss fights...

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lazy Bear posted:

The Mine Flayer is actually a Dungeons and Dragons reference. Illithids, or 'Mind Flayers', are squid-headed humanoid monstrosities with terrible psychic domination powers. They also grapple onto the heads of victims they can't, or don't want to, dominate and suck their brain out through their skull.

And yes, trap sprung.
Lol if we're going for nerdy references I'm kinda ashamed nobody mentioned Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, as they're one of the oldest corners of fantasy and very out of place in the Gungeon. I guess the dev likes them as well? I guess if ole Pterry references them its aight if they do.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Remote bullets are hilarious with the heck blaster, and startlingly effective. They just clutched me through the hollow for the second time.

gently caress YOU WALLMONGER. SOMEDAY I'LL GET TO YOU WITH MORE THEN ONE HEART LEFT.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Did Scruffy forget to get the Bullet that can Kill Time that run? Would that have caused problems after beating the Lich if so?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Ayndin posted:

Did Scruffy forget to get the Bullet that can Kill Time that run? Would that have caused problems after beating the Lich if so?

You only need the Bullet if you're going to kill a character's Past. Bullet Hell doesn't care if you have it or not.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Scaramouche posted:

Pretty obvious, but if anyone was wondering what was up with Frifle and the Grey Mauser:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fafhrd_and_the_Gray_Mouser

See also: Any novel by Scott Lynch (who rips them off hard)

Also Scruffy you missed a chance to say you 'had a bad feeling about this'
Great run!

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

senrath posted:

You only need the Bullet if you're going to kill a character's Past. Bullet Hell doesn't care if you have it or not.

Oh, okay - I thought with the post-fight target thing it was needed.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
Since you died, do the things you accomplished count? Like the caped guys you saved, and the guns you put in the muncher, or the bulletkin you killed towards the hunting quest? If they do still count, what did you lose by dying to the lich there?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I thought you had it. After all that Nikita bullshit and the accident of perfect aim on the Pilot...

How do remote bullets work in a twinstick mode, anyway?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Skrewtape posted:

Since you died, do the things you accomplished count? Like the caped guys you saved, and the guns you put in the muncher, or the bulletkin you killed towards the hunting quest? If they do still count, what did you lose by dying to the lich there?

Yes. What you lose is pride.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Man, I thought you had it. After all that Nikita bullshit and the accident of perfect aim on the Pilot...

How do remote bullets work in a twinstick mode, anyway?

Pretty much the same way. They turn whatever direction you're pushing the stick, and how far you push it determines how sharp they turn. If you let go, they stop turning.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Supply drop has made this game much more charitable, I think that the devs took their critics' words to heart

What Master Rounds has Scruffy turned in so far?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Supply drop has made this game much more charitable, I think that the devs took their critics' words to heart

He's gotten all of them except one for the Hollow, I think. He's never gotten all of them in the same run for sure.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I think he's only turned in the first, as he hasn't finished fixing even the first elevator yet.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

I know for sure I've gotten 1, 2, 3, and 5. I may have gotten 4 on one run, but I haven't gotten them all in a single run for the LP yet. There's a special unlockable for that.

As for the elevator, it requires a lot of money/keys so I'm trying to get through the secret floor to build up more money first.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

I think my biggest issue in the game right now is that I can't really progress.

I can't even unlock the first shop to spend my Credits, because I keep dying on the second floor, making what I do moot. :sigh:

Also: Do you need to specifically take the Bounty Hunter through the tutorial to get that mission from the guy? I did it first with the Convict I think, and I didn't have the conversation Scruffy had in Episode 1.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

You only get the mission if you pick up the armor items in the tutorial's secret room and talk to him with them on. You only have to do this once to be able to find Blockner with any of the characters.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

SkyTalon2314 posted:

I think my biggest issue in the game right now is that I can't really progress.

I can't even unlock the first shop to spend my Credits, because I keep dying on the second floor, making what I do moot. :sigh:

What kills you on the second floor? Seems like it's probably regular enemies, is there one in particular that is causing issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

What kills you on the second floor? Seems like it's probably regular enemies, is there one in particular that is causing issues?

I hate the Lead Maidens, they usually hit me at least once if I don't have anything a lot better than the crossbow and Gunsingers don't help any. The other real rear end in a top hat when he shows up is the Shadow Magician. Otherwise it's just attrition from bad play.

e: I am at least slowly improving to the point I've got the H shop open, the level shortcut guy and some other weirdo with a bucket freed. That last guy is a total jerk for not telling me what his deal is so I kicked his bucket down into the depths, maybe whenever I can actually get down there I'll find out what he's good for.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 2, 2017

• Locked thread