Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I had completely forgotten that MLB outfielder Domonic Brown existed but suddenly it's all coming back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

except that the luxury tax is now much stronger so spending on ML players is also more limited than ever

Because Tony Clark learned from Michael Weiner, and Weiner's negotiating strategy was "I won't roll over, but I'm fine with dying by a million cuts."

This CBA was the first step towards a salary cap at the major leagues.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MLBPA has shown in the last few rounds of CBAs that they are perfectly willing to sell out other professional players as long as their guys get theirs. MiLB guys make peanuts, the draft bonuses are hard capped and there is a limit to how much each team can spend, and now the international signees are heavily restricted.

They also seem a lot more willing now to throw guys under the bus (A-Rod), when that never used to happen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

MLBPA has shown in the last few rounds of CBAs that they are perfectly willing to sell out other professional players as long as their guys get theirs. MiLB guys make peanuts, the draft bonuses are hard capped and there is a limit to how much each team can spend, and now the international signees are heavily restricted.

They also seem a lot more willing now to throw guys under the bus (A-Rod), when that never used to happen.

They're a far cry from the days of Marvin Miller and Don Fehr. Fehr would have pissed on this CBA right there in the conference room.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

kensei posted:

Is there even a spot for him? They have a glut of OF and a converted OF/SS to play 1B.

Ya in AAA

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any American players that go to Korea and do absurd bat flips? I feel like it has to be liberating to show up pitchers.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

God drat Willy Mo Pena is 35.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

kensei posted:

Is there even a spot for him? They have a glut of OF and a converted OF/SS to play 1B.

backing up guys like Tapia, Patterson, and Cardullo in Albuquerque

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Timby posted:

Because Tony Clark learned from Michael Weiner, and Weiner's negotiating strategy was "I won't roll over, but I'm fine with dying by a million cuts."

This CBA was the first step towards a salary cap at the major leagues.

The MLBPA is ready willing and able to gently caress over just about anyone and anything that isn't already a member but there's no way in hell they'll allow a hard cap on salaries. If Tony Clark even thought about caving on that Scott Boras would make sure he wakes up with Yoenis Cespedes' horse's head in his bed. Besides, if you're the owners are you going to risk another 1994 when you can get the union to more or less give you 80% of that with the luxury tax threshold while throwing in a complete boning of international talent as a cherry on top?

The real fun isn't going to hit until cable money dries up and there's no new revenue stream to take it's place.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
:effort: post incoming

Like I said Otani wanted to come to the MLB from the start. He even told NPB teams not to waste their draft pick on him. But Nippon Ham Fighters put their best men on trying to convice him otherwise. They came up with the following power-point presentation that lead to Otani signing with Nippon Ham. I will post what is publicly available, the rumors are that the missing pages are contract related. I have translated 75% but I will never get around to the last bit because of work right now. The end is boring anyways. If any of the translations are weird or sound strange it is because I translated them literally if I didn't fully understand what the writers meaning was. Remember this all is 100% clear to a native speaker with a presenter to explain what is going on. So much of it is conjuncture on my part. The original can be found here as a slide show so can the attachments as a pdf-> http://www.fighters.co.jp/news/detail/3251.html

Away we go to the Otani's living room. It is November 2012.

code:
Table of Contents

(1) Otani Shohei's Dream Review
        -1  Otani's Goals Comparisons
        -2  Road to the Top Level of the MLB

(2) The Current State of Japanese And Koreans in the Majors
        -1  Japanese in the Majors
        -2  Japanese Players in the Major League Career Summery
        -3  The State of Korean Players entering the Major Leagues 
        -4  Korean Major Leaguers who Entered in High School ⇒ Results
        -5  Korean Players in the Major League Career Summery
        -6  List of Challenges to the Japanese Amateur Entering the MLB
        -7  Conclusions of Japanese and Koreans Succeeding in the Majors 

(3) Japan Sports Overseas Expansion Trends by Sport
        -1  Japan Sports Overseas Expansion Disparity
        -2  Japan Sports Overseas Expansion Trends + Indicators
             ♦;Sport by Sport Radar Charts
        -3  Sport Where Overseas Expansion is Suitable for Youth
        -4  Suitability by Sport for Overseas Expansion for Youth

(4) The Method For Japanese Athletes to Succeed in Sports
        -1  Japan Soccer Overseas Transfer Athletes Career Summery
        -2  Typical Japanese Training Regiment
        -3  Not "Global" but "International" Sports
              ♦Conclusion   ♦Closing Remarks

The Triangle is a common Japanese pictogram. In this case it means a not perfect match.
I think it is funny how the author ignores posting as an option. The Semi-fixed schedule is the tendency for MLB teams to have prospects play for a full year at each level. And low probability is the % of prospects that make the MLB out of the minors.

The up and down arrows here are the key points. They call the MLB system "Weeding out" I think this means that MLB teams have a huge number of minor league players and only a very few will ever get promoted or weeded out. But the Japan system has only one level of minors that most of the players will advance up into the NPB. To be fair that is what happened, Otani started only one year in the Japanese Minors before making the NPB team. Who knows how he would have done in the MLB minors.

The attachment is pdf list of all 47 Japanese born players who entered the MLB system. It has age of entry, service time, position, and means of entry (FA, posting, ect.)

Nippon Ham has 9 of the players as being double circle good (immediately useful players to the top level club). Nomo, Kazuhiro Sasaki, Ichiro, Kazuhisa Ishii, Hideki Matsui, Tadahito Iguchi, Takashi Saito, Hiroki Kuroda, and Yu Darvish.

And only 5 ever went to the MLB with no NPB experience. The 5 with no NPB experience where: Mac Suzuki, Junichi Tazawa, Takashi Kashiwada, Tomo Ohka, and Kazuhito Tadano.

Remember this list was made in 2012.

Attachment 2 just shows a graph of the time spent in the MLB minors for the 5 with no NPB experience vs the 9 immediately useful players. And a graph comparing of the length of their MLB careers.

A lot of this is in Korean, I had a hell of a time finding some of the names.

Again 2012.

Attachment 3 is graph of the time spent in the MLB minors and MLB level time for the 10 Koreans with no NPB or Korean experience. The point is only 3 Koreans have made success in MLB level going through the MLB minors.

Attachment 4 is a list of failed NPB -> MLB players

MATH!:science:

The middle parts are all about Japanese youth development in other sports. They want to keep talent to develop in country to promote Japanese Spirit! :japan:
It has lots of comparisons to Japanese Soccer stars going to youth camps in other counties rather then staying in Japan.

This is where I got bored/busy and stopped. I will post the last and concluding page that they gave out to the public.

This is a repeat of the first page. at the bottom it says: "Fighter's players development system is explained in a separate presentation."

So I hope you got something out of that. If you have any questions ask away.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The real fun isn't going to hit until cable money dries up and there's no new revenue stream to take it's place.

That is already happening.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ScottyJSno posted:

:effort: post incoming

Thanks for putting this together!

I just imagine some nerdy High School guidance counselor giving this rote dry presentation to Ohani and he's just like "Ok fine I'll stay if you turn off this Power Point".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MLBPA will agree to any kind of crazy drug testing imaginable before they agree to a salary cap.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FlamingLiberal posted:

MLBPA will agree to any kind of crazy drug testing imaginable before they agree to a salary cap.

The owners would.have to make the cap super high and also agree to a salary floor and the DH in the National league before the MLBPA would even think about it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

oh cool, thought they'd never get to it

https://twitter.com/AdamRubinESPN/status/826808113051361280

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

will_colorado posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/826609141649174528

minor league deal for Wily Mo Pena :aaaaa:

also the Rockies signed Dominic Brown to a minor league deal.

I need Wily Mo to ascend to the majors again.

edit:
Wily Mo Pena stirs from his slumber. He doesn't know what, but he feels that something has changed. Dust pours from his shoulders as he stretches and groggily stumbles to the mouth of his cave. He passes by a long-forgotten baseball bat, matted with cobwebs. Shielding his eyes from the sun, he finds a mountain of USA Todays waiting for him. Wily Mo plucks one from the top and scans the headlines until he sees his bellwether call to action. He cracks his knuckles.

"Republican president," he croaks, his throat dry from years of stasis. "Time to sock some dingers."

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 1, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My favorite Wily Mo Pena story is that he signed with the Mariners for a couple of weeks. He got called up, hit the longest home run in franchise history (post hit-tracker), and got DFA'd shortly afterward.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs trade minor league reliever James Farris + some IFA bonus money to the Rockies for failed pitching prospect Eddie Butler.

Time to :rolldice:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Time for some Wily Mo highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz_mwPSFSNQ&t=31s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx-eKJ1PwpU (just watch the first highlight)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZF55-U46Zc

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Cubs trade minor league reliever James Farris + some IFA bonus money to the Rockies for failed pitching prospect Eddie Butler.

Time to :rolldice:

If by :rolldice: you mean "work some Bosio magic."

Too bad we were unable to... Save Farris :c00l:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I moved away from South Florida and my beloved Marlins in 2009; however, the team I grew up loving didn't love me anymore, so I said that if my team wasn't loyal to me, I owed them nothing in return. I asked around, and signed a 5-year deal with my buddy to cheer for the LA Dodgers.

When that deal expired, I signed a new 4 year deal to cheer for the Pirates, a scrappy up-and-coming team with a lot of heart and fun players. However, their window is rapidly closing, so I elected to opt-out of my deal and test the waters.

Pirates, you're fuckin' out. I'm fuckin' in. Let's do this:

quote:

I am formally announcing my free agency as a fan, and am available to cheer online, shitpost memes about our bad players and blindly support a sports franchise for 3 years, with a fan option for a fourth

Please submit offers as to why I should cheer for your team. Requirements:

-Not the Braves or Yankees

-Preference given to NL teams who actually have their pitchers hit

Submit your offers below or via PM to my agent, forums poster Skaboomizzy. Game on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Please submit offers as to why I should cheer for your team.

I will gladly explain why it's time to buy low on your new favor-

quote:

...oh.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You should really consider the Yankees because, for the first time in like 20 years, the team is young and fun.

Also Gary Sanchez is handsome.

So is Greg Bird.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Someone will write up a better pitch than me, but the Chicago Cubs are young and fun (with only a couple of assholes being present). With crazypants Joe Maddon at the helm, you also not only get pitchers hitting, but sometimes playing outfield.

Also they just won the World Series so you don't have to worry about "lovable losers" bullshit. At least for a while.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

You should really consider the Yankees because, for the first time in like 20 years, the team is young and fun.

Also Gary Sanchez is handsome.

So is Greg Bird.

My entire case was actually just going to be pictures of the two of them, to be honest.

EDIT: Between Bird and Heller, we've got eyebrows on lock.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 1, 2017

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Submit your offers below or via PM to my agent, forums poster Skaboomizzy. Game on.

Could I interest you in this gently used, one-of-a-kind St. Louis Cardinals fandom? You'll get back the casual (and sometimes not!) racism that I'm sure you miss from South Florida and in turn get quite a few flags-a-flyin' to lord over the rest of the division. Sadly, we have no dinger machine but the team actually spends money on the players! Plus, as the fans will be the first to tell you, they're the best fans in baseball!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Become a Cubs fan and you can join in the endless Cubs Posting™

Also we're the best team in baseball (see 2016). We have fun young players including a fat bumbling catcher/outfielder who injures himself for the entire season and then makes his return in NLCS and WS and despite not being able to use his legs has a .971 OPS. We have the Javier Baez Experience (are you experienced?) in which he somehow makes poor hits/base running/fielding and turns them into gold. We have a literal golden child blue eyed angel who has fulfilled the prophecy of "a prospect who doesn't suck".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Any Cubs fandom contract has to come with a rider that requires a certain percentage of posting to remain positive, with that percentage being 100% when the Cubs are actively winning/have won a game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Chicago Cubs have been eliminated from the 2017 postseason.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Don't become a Cards fan, we have enough self-important folks who think they're a fan worth attention imo :smug:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Pros to joining the Cubs bandwagon:
+Actually fun/young team that will remain good for the next 3-4 years.
+Highest amount of shitposters in SAS per team, so you'll have plenty of GDT company.
+A large assortment of memes and .gifs to complement your newfound shitposting.

Cons to joining the Cubs bandwagon:
-The rest of SAS will loathe you.
-You will have to get good at pivoting between "the Cubs are great!" and "the Cubs are terrible!" posting very quickly.
-We shitpost so much already you might get drowned out.

Coin flip: Lots of matinee in the early afternoon which, depending on where you live and how able you are to listen to the radio at work, could either own hard or suck big time.

e. Also both our TV and Radio announcers are very good.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I moved away from South Florida and my beloved Marlins in 2009; however, the team I grew up loving didn't love me anymore, so I said that if my team wasn't loyal to me, I owed them nothing in return. I asked around, and signed a 5-year deal with my buddy to cheer for the LA Dodgers.

When that deal expired, I signed a new 4 year deal to cheer for the Pirates, a scrappy up-and-coming team with a lot of heart and fun players. However, their window is rapidly closing, so I elected to opt-out of my deal and test the waters.

Pirates, you're fuckin' out. I'm fuckin' in. Let's do this:

Please submit offers as to why I should cheer for your team. Requirements:

-Preference given to NL teams who actually have their pitchers hit

Why not just return to the Dodgers? You're already familiar with some of the players, and the team is in an even better position now than when you last signed in 2009.

Short pitch for Dodgers comes down to this: team with the best near-term outlook that hasn't won in a long time.

Dodgers fans are underrepresented in SAS anyway.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

e. Also both our TV and Radio announcers are very good.

I was with you up to here because Ron Coomer fuckin' suuuuuuuuuucks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Pat Hughes makes up for it by being absolutely phenomenal, though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Twins were literally the worst team in the league last year, there's no better time to join the bandwagon.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yo!

No, the other Yo!

https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/status/826920442816499717

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Becoming a Cubs fan right after they won the World Series is probably worse than becoming a Yankees fan tbh.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tender Bender posted:

Becoming a Cubs fan is probably worse than becoming a Yankees fan tbh.

Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Inspector_666 posted:

Any Cubs fandom contract has to come with a rider that requires a certain percentage of posting to remain positive, with that percentage being 100% when the Cubs are actively winning/have won a game.

The downside of Cubs fandom is now that we've won a WS, we can never say anything remotely bad or negative about the Cubs again ever ever ever or we're all pessimistic jerks who are never happy with anything.

Example:

"Geez, Lester should have gotten that bunt down"

"LOL YOU WON A WORLD SERIES CUBS FANS ARE NEVER HAPPY"

Sydin posted:

Pat Hughes makes up for it by being absolutely phenomenal, though.

Now that Vin Scully is out of the booth, Pat is the best in baseball.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 2, 2017

• Locked thread