Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

A6, A3, and B2. Let us not play to expectations, but really change things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Competence is a rare and precious commodity in Battletech.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
A-4 and 5
B-3

I agree with undermining the Capellans, but I want to see the NRWR get huge. And of course, the Widowmakers clearly need to pick a fight with the people who just trashed them 30 to 3.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
A: 1 and 6
B: 3

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

Then again, I'm the guy who didn't buy into the overwhelming love for Macho Commacho's Commandos or whoever they were. Different characters appeal to different people.

Agreed, I wasn't much for Camacho's Caballeros either.

So, let's just say that the Lyrans and their money grubbing ways are best! (smile)

S-Bill is Best-Bill!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
A
4+5
The FWL isn't the FWL without a civil war.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
A:1) Lend defensive support to the Lyran Commonwealth
A:4) Reveal known Capellan plots to the Taurians and Duchy

B:3) Declare vendetta, officially ending the invasion in favor of annihilating the Goliath Scorpions

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
A4 - Capella Delenda Est
A6

B3

Precentor Atreus you have made an enemy this day :argh:

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A.
4) Reveal known Capellan plots to the Taurians and Duchy
6) Assassinate Stefan Amaris VI

B.
3) Declare vendetta, officially ending the invasion in favor of annihilating the Goliath Scorpions

Voting A6 just to see the Demon Hawks fight off ROM assassins.

PBJ fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 2, 2017

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
A) 4 and 5

I want chaos through out that entire quadrant of the Inner Sphere.

B) 1

Why choose between which front to fight and lose on when you can fight and lose on two fronts at once?

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
A) 6 Love the demon hawks hate Amaris, he's too much of a smug superman to live, anything that weakens him would be good. Would add in 4, but lets focus our efforts.

B) 3 All burn.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 2, 2017

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
A: 3,4 - Destabilize that entire quarter of the Sphere.
B: 1 Ignoring the obvious defeat would mean furthering the GS victory, but full-on war would distract from the OTHER war they're trying to manage.

Also: New Pompeii really? No one is going to be surprised at that city's fate. One thing I maybe missed, was Carlos rescued without Comstar being aware? They still think he is trapped on the planet. Or is he trapped again on a new planet?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Plek posted:

Also: New Pompeii really?

Kobe is very volcanically active and is basically one century into a volcano-induced nuclear winter. Whether or not New Pompeii was called New Pompeii when Kobe was still one of the Star League's garden worlds or whether they changed the name when the entire world turned out to be one giant ash-spewing frozen hellhole I have no idea.

Plek posted:

No one is going to be surprised at that city's fate. One thing I maybe missed, was Carlos rescued without Comstar being aware? They still think he is trapped on the planet. Or is he trapped again on a new planet?

ComStar only knows that Duncan has not ordered any FWLM unit to rescue him.

It's up to the thread to determine not only what course ComStar is going to take, but how likely they think each of these actions are to actually succeed in accomplishing something interesting (keeping in mind also that failing to accomplish something interesting could also lead to something interesting).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 2, 2017

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

A: 4&5
B: 1

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I like Uncle Steve, but offing him gives the Clans an incentive to gently caress off, and the NRWR an incentive to kick the Sphere's poo poo in. :unsmigghh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm just looking forward to either the Demon Hawks boss fight or the Demon Hawks fighting ROM as a boss fight. Either way we win.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
A 1 and 4, B 3

Let the blood flow

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Man, you guys are all voting to kill off the Goliath Scorpions and Uncle Stevie both. Plus trying to poo poo on Cappellan Skynet. :saddowns:

I hope when Uncle Stevie dies the Clans just turn around and loving murder the poo poo out of the FWL or something on their way back through, having been cheated of their victory of Amaris. Then again, we've killed most of their fighting force, soooo it's largely academic.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Plus trying to poo poo on Cappellan Skynet. :saddowns:

Well, Judgement Day did begin with a massive nuclear war... :v:

Also, as fun as playing as the Goliath Scorpions was, they're still Clanners. Besides, my vote gives Chaya the opportunity to dissect more light mechs.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 2, 2017

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
A - 4 and 3
B - 2

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

A4 - Capella delenda est!
A6 - I want to see how the chessmaster handles this. Also, Demon Hawk bossfight.

B1 - It would be nice to see the Scorpions live on to continue to mess with the Widowmakers. We've seen plenty of shortsighted Clanner idiocy in the thread and Natasha being reasonable would be a refreshing change. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bloody Pom posted:

Well, Judgement Day did begin with a massive nuclear war... :v:

Also, as fun as playing as the Clans was, they're still Clanners. Besides, my vote gives Chaya the opportunity to dissect more light mechs.

Goliath Scorpions are sort of the Ghost Bears of this time line, though. At the very least, they're some of the more practical Clanners, and people are voting to let Clan Crazy Nutjob call every other Clan in to wipe them out. I guess it buys time for the Inner Sphere to get their poo poo together to fight them, but then destabilizing the NRWR and the Cappellans, the two factions that aren't under ComStar's thumb and that have pretty good tech doesn't go in with the "kill the Clans at any cost!" mindset. So I dunno.

That said, I'm completely fine with people voting whatever they want. I'll be interested to see the story either way. My gripes are mostly in-character as our traditional Thread Villain. I was kind of hoping at least some cool guys would live, though.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

To be fair, someone did raise the point that the Widowmakers putting a hold on the invasion to go whack the Goliath Scorpions would likely piss off the other Crusader clans. There's no guarantee that anyone else would answer the call, especially since Kerensky doesn't exactly seem to be the most beloved Clan leader.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bloody Pom posted:

To be fair, someone did raise the point that the Widowmakers putting a hold on the invasion to go whack the Goliath Scorpions would likely piss off the other Crusader clans. There's no guarantee that anyone else would answer the call, especially since Kerensky doesn't exactly seem to be the most beloved Clan leader.

Yes, my vote was in hopes that this causes an immense civil war because of Kerensky losing her poo poo and overreacting.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

A - 4 and 6
B - 3

:black101:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
A: 2, 3

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
If the Goliath Scorpions are really not as crazy as the rest of the clans this forces them to make alliances with innersphere political bodies or other clans or even the native population on the worlds they occupy. Pushing them more into the mold of the Ghost Bears in the regular timeline which is good. It also discredits the Widowmakers and alienates them from potential allies. If the Goliath Scorpions are just as crazy as any other clan they'll fight to death without seeking allies.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Bloody Pom posted:

. . . Widowmakers putting a hold on the invasion to go whack the Goliath Scorpions would likely piss off the other Crusader clans . . .

My thinking on this is that a decision to halt the invasion for more ilKhan pettiness will further facture, if not completely break, Clan society.

You already have some Clans 'going native'; halting the momentum and purpose for their return, to expend more resources which they don't have, will likely (in my reasoning) force them to integrate further into Spheroid life. The spanking Uncle Stevie gave them is just more salt in the 'do we have it all wrong' wound.

Zaodai posted:

Goliath Scorpions . . . they're some of the more practical Clanners, and people are voting to let Clan Crazy Nutjob call every other Clan in to wipe them out.

Exactly, a rational Clan is in fact near unstoppable if given a chance to 'run with it'.

Zaodai posted:

My gripes are mostly in-character as our traditional Thread Villain.

See, we all knew it was an 'act' all along (smile)

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
A) 1 and 4 The threat to the New Star League from the Lyrans, and the direct threat to Comstar from the Capellans are both too immediate for Vilius Tejh and the other precentors to ignore.

B) 3 I think this option offers the greatest opportunity for a huge Clan Widowmaker blunder.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
(A) 1&4 I want to see the NRWR get huge and eat the entire Inner Sphere

(B) 6 I don't even know the story that well but gently caress Widowmakers regardless.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zaodai posted:

He's a competent, mostly chill kind of guy who gave us a bunch of free poo poo and acknowledged how great we are while trolling the Clans.

Then again, I'm the guy who didn't buy into the overwhelming love for Macho Commacho's Commandos or whoever they were. Different characters appeal to different people.

He's also a lateral thinker. Telefragging an irreplaceable capital ship is a hell of a move.

A4, B3

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Volmarias posted:

He's also a lateral thinker. Telefragging an irreplaceable capital ship is a hell of a move.

A4, B3

Also building a bunch of carriers because battleships are a suckers game.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

A: 2, 3
All the piracy all the time. Also comstar secret commandos pirating two (recently united) powers under the false flag of each other can only lead to comstar secret commandos fighting each other, which will be fun.

Try to take your ball and go home, Natasha. See where it gets you.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
A3
A6

B1

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A is kind of a tough choice. B is easy though.

A: 1, 4

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A: 1, 4

I think 4 is the most clear slam dunk option for ComStar. They're actively trying to recapture control of the HPG network so revealing their plans to their enemies will help ComStar destabilize them. It will help them get things back under control. I thought about the other options a lot and I think 1 would play well into ComStar's MO. Yeah, you go out and manipulate events to your benefit, but the other part of being ComStar is keeping your thumb on a scale to make sure that a situation stays a certain way. The deployment of the Shadow Divisions before Fred gets started would allow them to keep the campaign from going too poorly or too well, keeping the situation right where they want it

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
A 4 6
B 1

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

A - 3,4
B - 1

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zaodai posted:

Man, you guys are all voting to kill off the Goliath Scorpions and Uncle Stevie both. Plus trying to poo poo on Cappellan Skynet. :saddowns:

I hope when Uncle Stevie dies the Clans just turn around and loving murder the poo poo out of the FWL or something on their way back through, having been cheated of their victory of Amaris. Then again, we've killed most of their fighting force, soooo it's largely academic.

Personally, I'm voting to wipe out the Capellans and try to assassinate Uncle Stevie because I envision something like the following:

A. The Cappies get smeared because Skynet is cool and all but not cool enough to hold out against overwhelming force.
B. ComStar tries killing Uncle Stevie. Naturally it doesn't go according to plan.
C. Cappie Skynet and Uncle Stevie officially team up under pressure from Basically Everyone.
D. Uncle Stevie gains control of Skynet because he's Uncle Stevie, I mean come on
E. House Amaris and House Liao basically become one, and a lot of the NRWR's focus moves to CC space, while the FWL takes advantage of the pressure to regain most of its lost territory and a few of the new NRWR orbitals.
F. NRWR basically falls apart while the CC absorbs all the qualities that made the NRWR awesome. Now the "traditional bad guy" of the Inner Sphere is genuinely badass and has an infusion of capable leadership at the top from House Liao-Amaris, while the FWL returns to its essential status quo - economically powerful (even more so after grabbing NRWR territory) but politically unfocused and useless. The Draconis Suns have a vastly more frightening enemy on their border, which is the only thing that could possibly keep them stable, and the Lyrans can try and figure out where they stand with regards to Skye and Task Force Serpent.

Which would be a pretty cool status quo IMHO.

E: Also,

Zaodai posted:

Goliath Scorpions are sort of the Ghost Bears of this time line, though. At the very least, they're some of the more practical Clanners, and people are voting to let Clan Crazy Nutjob call every other Clan in to wipe them out. I guess it buys time for the Inner Sphere to get their poo poo together to fight them, but then destabilizing the NRWR and the Cappellans, the two factions that aren't under ComStar's thumb and that have pretty good tech doesn't go in with the "kill the Clans at any cost!" mindset. So I dunno.

That said, I'm completely fine with people voting whatever they want. I'll be interested to see the story either way. My gripes are mostly in-character as our traditional Thread Villain. I was kind of hoping at least some cool guys would live, though.

I'm voting to let Clan Crazy Nutjob try to call every other Clan in to wipe them out. Nothing says the other Clans aren't going to go "Uh, no, let's wipe out the Crazy Nutjobs instead," because it's not like Natasha's leadership has been well-regarded by the other Clans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm voting to let Clan Crazy Nutjob try to call every other Clan in to wipe them out. Nothing says the other Clans aren't going to go "Uh, no, let's wipe out the Crazy Nutjobs instead," because it's not like Natasha's leadership has been well-regarded by the other Clans.

This is my take on the vote, especially since quite a few clans are getting expertly trolled on Andurien and Kerensky going 'hey no stop that we have to fight these upstarts!' is going to create a reaction I absolutely have to see :allears:

• Locked thread