Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

like I'm guessing its all dom and css modifications to format it for their printers. they could probably do it with a browser extension tho. that would be better.

no, that would be worse. their lovely code shouldn't be resident unless I'm interacting with their system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

while researching Star Micronics' receipt printers today for reasons i came across the claim that they can even print reciepts from within web applications. that doesn't seem right, since it doesn't behave like a regular printer at all... let's see how they do it.

http://www.starmicronics.com/printer/technology/webprnt_browser

:stare: oh. you have to install a custom browser that exposes some weird javascript API and use that. great.

anyone wanna place bets on if the --disable-web-security flag will appear in the apk somewhere :v:

on a mobile os without a standard way to print to a bluetooth printer, what else are you supposed to do other than ship a browser that talks to your printer

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
more printerchat

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2017/Jan/89

quote:

In the scope of academic research on printer security, various
vulnerabilities in network printers and MFPs have been discovered. This
is advisory 1 of 6 of the `Hacking Printers' series. Each advisory
discusses multiple issues of the same category. This post is about
manipulating and obtaining documents printed by other users, which can
be accomplished by infecting the printer with PostScript malware. This
vulnerability has presumably been present in *every PostScript printer*
since 32 years as solely legitimate PostScript language constructs are
abused. The attack can be performed by anyone who can print, for example
through USB or network. It can even be carried out by a malicious
website, using advanced cross-site printing techniques in combination
with a novel technique we call `CORS spoofing'

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

lmbo, if PostScript is the attack vector this is all Adobe's fault...again.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

on a mobile os without a standard way to print to a bluetooth printer, what else are you supposed to do other than ship a browser that talks to your printer

not use a browser-based ~cloud~ point of sale solution in the first place

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

texas and all, but why the hell do they have their only copies of digital evidence even tenuously connected to the internet

i mean outside of the obvious convenience factor of certain pieces of evidence getting lost. basic forensics chain of custody for electronics is the original version sealed away, a master copy and then copies of that for inspection purposes .... how do you gently caress up this badly

e: "The digital documents lost, he said, are backed up via hard copy. Some of the videos were backed up on CDs, but those that were not are lost."

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 1, 2017

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

not use a browser-based ~cloud~ point of sale solution in the first place

i kinda think it'd be fun to be able to use a receipt printer from your phone :3

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Winkle-Daddy posted:

lmbo, if PostScript is the attack vector this is all Adobe's fault...again.

there's a reason why our printers are all on a dedicated network segment, firewalled to hell and back, and can only talk to a print server through PLC drivers

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?Gitlab?live

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc0hPGerSd4

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

no, that would be worse. their lovely code shouldn't be resident unless I'm interacting with their system

it wouldn't have to be always on and would just format a page for a printer. I mean I know failfox and chome are really bad at javascript but it wouldn't have any effect until you clicked the extension to format for their printer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

it wouldn't have to be always on and would just format a page for a printer. I mean I know failfox and chome are really bad at javascript but it wouldn't have any effect until you clicked the extension to format for their printer.

it shouldn't be resident, and it shouldn't be dependent on them correctly writing the extension. it needs access to any page to work as an extension, and a printer tool shouldn't have that in my browser on an ongoing basis

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you aren't using the printer then you probably don't need to worry about it and if you are using the printer you're going to want it to be available so you can print stuff from whatever page you're on. makes sense to me.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
alternately you can do the same thing in a separate executable that is a browser w/ the extension that's been branded by them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i kinda think it'd be fun to be able to use a receipt printer from your phone :3

that's actually what i'm tasked with implementing but i'm not going to do it by loading an external website through a weird proprietary browser

bonus:

after going through their documentation it seems the wifi/ethernet versions of this printer have a telnet server enabled by default with a root password of "public"

also to connect to it the first time you "set a temporary IP address" which apparently means loving with your ARP table and then pinging it

quote:

Execute the following command in the terminal to set a temporary IP address to the printer.
1. sudo arp -d [Printer temporary IP address]
2. sudo arp -s [Printer temporary IP address] [Printer MAC address]
3. ping -c 4 [Printer temporary IP address]
4. sudo arp -d [Printer temporary IP address]

code:
Example of temporary IP address (192.168.222.217)
sudo arp -d 192.168.222.217
sudo arp -s 192.168.222.217 00:11:62:00:03:4D 
ping -c 4 192.168.222.217
sudo arp -d 192.168.222.217

i mean i guess that works but... :psyduck:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you could write a web app where the user puts in a url and then your server does the printing, but that wouldn't work for anything involving cookies.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

that's actually what i'm tasked with implementing but i'm not going to do it by loading an external website through a weird proprietary browser

bonus:

after going through their documentation it seems the wifi/ethernet versions of this printer have a telnet server enabled by default with a root password of "public"

also to connect to it the first time you "set a temporary IP address" which apparently means loving with your ARP table and then pinging it

i mean i guess that works but... :psyduck:

Haha that gives me flashbacks of setting up ST microconnects, you had to do the same thing.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

the dolphin emulator blog has a post about how they were able to get two games to work. turns out those games had anti-emulation features: they'd stomp all over important memory and then immediately flush the cache to prevent the writes from going through. but since emulators don't emulate CPU cache it'd just crash on Dolphin.

not super sec-related but i thought it was neat

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ya it's neat they have a more detailed post planned for next month's blog but had to rush that out

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

vOv posted:

the dolphin emulator blog has a post about how they were able to get two games to work. turns out those games had anti-emulation features: they'd stomp all over important memory and then immediately flush the cache to prevent the writes from going through. but since emulators don't emulate CPU cache it'd just crash on Dolphin.

not super sec-related but i thought it was neat

this is probably the most impressive emulator project out there

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
one of the contributors, Admiral H. Curtiss, is a goon, and prob has some interesting stuff to talk about

vvv oh ya i forgot dish works on it too

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 1, 2017

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
not particularly, I only submit a few random PRs here and there when I can find the time and motivation

Suspicious Dish might know stuff though, he's more involved with it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fix the netcode pls my mario party games always desync.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
50% of drivers for special-purpose printers are a trash fire

gently caress Zebra

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

atomicthumbs posted:

100% of drivers for printers are a trash fire

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

how dare you insult the noble text-mode driver

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I wonder if an old star LC-20 or w/e would still work on win 10

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

spankmeister posted:

if you have a windows 10 computer that you can actually plug the drat thing into then the generic parallel port printer driver would probably run it just fine

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

spankmeister posted:

i got a panasonic dot matrix printer from 1983 working on Mac OS Sierra.

i have a Star NL-10 but i didn't bother trying that one cause the ribbons for the panasonic were easier to get (they still use the same ones for something)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

50% of drivers for special-purpose printers are a trash fire

gently caress Zebra

I met the guy who created Zebra on a plane once. Dude seemed OK if a bit off. Friendly chat though.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

not particularly, I only submit a few random PRs here and there when I can find the time and motivation

Suspicious Dish might know stuff though, he's more involved with it

he's done effort posts about the dumb poo poo Nintendo did wrt encryption on the wii in previous incarnations of this thread that were very interesting

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fix your country, spankmeister

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ah good it hit international media, shame about the Wilders pic though.

Wilders is gonna Make The Netherlands Great Again

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

"Dutch officials are already on alert for signs of possible cyber hacking "

CYBER

HACKING

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

why is the Netherlands apparently filled with Hunger Games people

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

why is the Netherlands apparently filled with Hunger Games people

Wilders is Trump lite. He has weird hair hangups too lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i know that cms vulns are cheating, but lomarf

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i know that cms vulns are cheating, but lomarf

tbqh i think this one counts as a himarf

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

work sec-gently caress: a colleague of mine recently implemented a change on our god-awful forefront TMG reverse proxies. prior to implementing the change he made an encrypted backup of the existing TMG config to a folder on the local server.

he then created a file named "README.txt" which contained the key for the encrypted backup file. this file was then placed in the same folder as the backup itself.

the key was Password1

fake edit: i'm tempted to edit the text file and change it to hunter2 or somethin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cheese-cube posted:

work sec-gently caress: a colleague of mine recently implemented a change on our god-awful forefront TMG reverse proxies. prior to implementing the change he made an encrypted backup of the existing TMG config to a folder on the local server.

he then created a file named "README.txt" which contained the key for the encrypted backup file. this file was then placed in the same folder as the backup itself.

the key was Password1

fake edit: i'm tempted to edit the text file and change it to hunter2 or somethin

add a zero-width character somewhere inside it to trip up people who copy and paste it into the password field

• Locked thread