Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Whenever a witness and defendant end up talking to each other in the courtroom, one will fade out from the stand to let the other fade in, unless one of those smash cut "look at everyone's reactions" moments is also happening at the same time. It's not how it actually is in universe, but I always imagined this situation as both parties taking turns stepping up to and away from the witness stand between talking to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well... in spite of myself, I'm getting somewhat intrigued by all this silliness. So Lana just admitted to forging evidence in that case... is that why she's falling on the sword now? Out of guilt? Why wait so long, then?

Edgeworth looks really upset by this too... throughout the series, he's been portrayed as the "Law's the law, crime's a crime" guy who would do anything to get the guilty verdict. That included suspicion of forging evidence, but from his reaction here... what if he sincerely thought the evidence forged was real?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Or maybe he's aghast at the idea of somebody admitting that evidence was forged.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Stephen9001 posted:

Presumably, they have 2 different, but identical stands for the defendant and the witness. With one of those stand being invisible in the "can see most of the court" (the one from behind the stand) picture. Unless anyone else has any other theories?

They allude to one, but it's never really shown. Various adaptations have included a place for the defendant, though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

resurgam40 posted:

Edgeworth looks really upset by this too... throughout the series, he's been portrayed as the "Law's the law, crime's a crime" guy who would do anything to get the guilty verdict. That included suspicion of forging evidence, but from his reaction here... what if he sincerely thought the evidence forged was real?

The Lone Badger posted:

Or maybe he's aghast at the idea of somebody admitting that evidence was forged.

Or just possibly, having his (former) mentor try to frame him for the murder of his own father, and then the murder of another prosecutor, only to have his rear end saved by Wright has made him reconsider the idea of "truth" being more important than "results".

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Stephen9001 posted:

It would appear the Defendant's stand and the Witness stand have the same graphic. This makes it look like Lana and Marshall are somehow standing in the same location, and talking to each other. Has this happend before, or is this the first time a witness has talked to the defendant like this? (barring that time when Phoenix was the defendant.)

There's a pretty good comic that explains exactly how it works:

Warning: very minor spoilers of character art for a game way in the future.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Katie Tiedrich is the unofficial official cartoonist of Phoenix Wright and the Ace Attorney series. There is an Awkward Zombie for every possible situation.

I did not figure out the Blue Badger's purpose here. It's really difficult to identify distances in the security video, so although it seems obvious that the Badger must be blocking something it isn't clear that it's physically up against the lockers.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Oh absolutely agreed. The perspective of the video makes you think Meekins put it right in front of the camera, not on the opposite side of the room.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Oh absolutely agreed. The perspective of the video makes you think Meekins put it right in front of the camera, not on the opposite side of the room.

There's a few frames in the video where "Goodman" is walking in front of the Badger before the camera pans away, but it's hard to catch that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In this particular case that would mean... what? The police discovered so little evidence against a serial killer that they murdered one of their own and framed the killer for it?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Given what we've seen of the justice system, why would the prosecution need false evidence? It barely needs any evidence at all.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Glazius posted:

In this particular case that would mean... what? The police discovered so little evidence against a serial killer that they murdered one of their own and framed the killer for it?

Maybe that they were 100% sure the dude had killed a cop but couldn't prove it, so they fabricated evidence to do so. I honestly don't remember, I didn't much like this case so I only played through it once.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The impression I'm getting is that they were pretty sure this guy had killed a bunch of people, but couldn't prove it. So they pinned a completely different murder on him using fake evidence.
Phoenix will of course prove who the real murderer of that person was.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 5 - Rise From the Ashes
Investigation (Day 3) - Part 1

: I'm so sorry, Mr. Wright. I'm so sorry for what my sister said...

: That's just the way it is. We did what we had to...
: in order for him to get the verdict he deserved.

: I never knew that the "SL-9 Incident" was just another name for...
: the "Joe Darke Killings."
: (Sounds like everyone's heard about these killings but me...)
: Lana wanted Darke convicted so badly! That's why she used me...
: That's why she used what happened to me.
: What do you mean, "what happened" to you?

: Joe Darke's last victim was Prosecutor Neil Marshall.

: he left behind an incriminating piece of evidence.
: But what did you have to do with those killings, Ema?

: What? He tried to kill you!?

: So that means you...
: Yes.

: I was a witness in the Joe Darke trial.
: (I didn't see that one coming!)

Now we can start asking Ema some questions.

: It happened two years ago... it was right about this time of the year, too. There was a terrible thunder storm that day... Unusual for the season.
: I was alone in my sister's office. We were planning to eat dinner together once she finished her work.

: Joe Darke...
: It seemed like he was running from someone. He pulled out a knife and screamed at me. I didn't know what what was going on.
: Just then, Prosecutor Marshall showed up.

: Joe Darke tried to take me hostage,
: but before he could... Mr. Marshall tackled him.
: Then...
: What happened?
: I-I'll never forget it!

: a bolt of lightning flashed outside the window, lighting up the office for an instant. What I saw burned a permanent picture in my mind.
: I... I can still see it now...
: (A permanent picture...?)

: I don't remember the moment when Darke stabbed Marshall.
: So you weren't able to testify about that?
: No, I was only asked about when I was attacked. That must be why Lana...
: why she "made up" the crime.
: Made it up? You mean, provided bogus evidence?
: The Prosecutor's Office wanted that guilty verdict so badly.
: Lana forged the evidence, and Mr. Edgeworth used it...
: Edgeworth!?
: Yes.
: But I'm sure he didn't know anything about it!
: He couldn't have known he was being given false evidence. Even so...
: that's when it all started. The rumors about Mr. Edgeworth, I mean.
: It's all my fault... If I could have just testified properly, none of this would have happened!
: (So it's true. Even though he may not have known it... Edgeworth really was involved in falsifying evidence!)
: After that case ended, Lana was never the same. She became cold, like she is today.
: (She must not have been able to face up to what she did... Especially not to Ema.)

: What did you see in the instant that crime occurred?
: ...

: (Neil Marshall was stabbed right in front of this poor girl!)

: Poor Ema... You've been through so much.

: I drew a picture, but it wasn't any good.
: Two years ago... You must have been 14. That's understandable.
: Once it was all over... I made up my mind. I decided that when I grew up, I'd become a scientific investigator.
: I want to be able to fight crime with my testimonies! And find the evidence to make an airtight case...
: That way, Lana would never have to forge any.
: I see... (I think I'm finally starting to understand what makes Ema tick. But there's still something that bothers me about that crime.)

: There's something that's puzzling me, Ema.
: What is it?
: You said you were in Lana's office at that time, right?
: That's right.
: Why then would a serial killer come running in there?

: Oh, there's no mystery there.

: Taken in for questioning? You mean by the police?
: Of course. This happened at the Police Department. He tried to run away halfway through the interview, and fled into my sister's office.
: But why did he run all the way over to your sister's office?
: Because the detective offices and the questioning room are right across from the elevator.
: ... Across from the elevator? But Lana was the Chief Prosecutor, wasn't she?
: No, silly!
: Didn't I tell you? Two years ago...
: Lana was a detective. She was the best in the entire force!
: Whaaaat!? (That's news to me!)
: After the Joe Darke case, she was transferred to the Prosecutor's Office and made Chief Prosecutor.
: (Lana used to be... a detective? I'd better have another talk with her!)

We can present the case file to Ema now, too.

: What was it labeled, again? The "SL-9 Incident"?
: Yes. The name of everyone connected to this trial is listed in here. All that's left... is to figure out just what role everyone plays in this case. If we search hard enough, I think we'll find our answers. (What exactly did, or didn't, Lana do?)
: I'm not sure I want to know everything...

Now, it's off to see Lana.

: Mr. Wright. It seems I keep causing you trouble.
: Falsifying evidence... I didn't think you were the type.
: Criminals don't mind playing foul, why should we?
: But Lana! If you're wrong...
: an innocent person might be found guilty!
: Believe me...
: I understand the risks.
: Lana. Ema told me about you.
: Oh?
: About how you were a detective two years ago, and how the SL-9 Incident was the reason for your transfer to the Prosecutor's Office.
: Could you fill me in on the details? Especially about that unusual change of jobs.
: I suppose you have a right to know, Mr. Wright.

: A lot of revelations were uncovered at the trial today, not the least of which was the fact that this case is largely connected to another one, two years ago.
: Evidence from that case was stolen...
: I expected as much. I know how obsessive Officer Marshall can be.
: That trial... it really wasn't "fair," was it?
: I believed in you, Lana!
: I believed that no matter what happened, you'd always stick to the truth!
: It couldn't be helped, Ema. At that trial two years ago...
: I sold my soul.
: Well, all drama aside, the fact of the matter is at 5:15, there was no murder at the Police Department.
: Tell me it's not true, Lana! What the withness... Ms. Starr said!

: Lana! I don't understand!
: Why won't you tell us?
: Ema... This
: doesn't involve just me.
: (I don't think I've ever seen Lana look so fazed before...)

: It's true. I was a member of the police force two years ago.
: She was amazing!

: Chief Gant?
: Then he was the Vice-Head of Criminal Affairs, but he still worked the crime scenes. Damon Gant... he was everything I aspired to be.
: They were the best team ever! They solved crimes before the reports could even be filed!
: (Ema really idolizes her big sister.) But now you're Chief Prosecutor... What happened?
: I always planned on becoming a prosecutor. The reason I became a detective was...
: to gain experience investigating crime scenes, so you could later use that experience in court.
: Gant's help in the SL-9 case was critical in its resolution. After that, he became Chief of Police,
: and arranged my transfer to the Prosecutor's Office.
: (Maybe I should ask more about this "investigation" of theirs two years ago.)

: Two years ago I was second-in-command of the detectives investigating Darke.
: "Second-in-command"? That means the Chief Detective was, no doubt, Damon Gant?

: (They even had the same office...!)
: We led a team of the best detectives on the force:

: It was the first time Marshall worked with his brother. He was quite... "gung ho."

: We asked him to come in for questioning. We were desperate for evidence.
: That was when the last murder took place.
: (When he tried to murder Ema...)
: Prosecutor Marshall was trying to save me from Darke...
: You see, the first person who happened upon the scene of the crime... was me.
: ...! (Now you tell us...)

: Detective Gant and Prosecutor Marshall were the ones questioning Darke that day.
: The investigation was in its final stages, when Darke must have panicked. He waited until Gant and Marshall let their guards down,
: then fled the room. From there, he ran straight too... the office shared by Detective Gant and myself.
: That's where he found me.
: So you were the first person to run to the scene, Lana?
: It appears so. I was filing some papers while Gant and Marshall were questioning Darke.

: Three bodies? Prosecutor Marshall, the victim, Ema, who had passed out,
: and the suspect, Joe Darke. During the struggle, it seems Mr. Marshall struck a final blow before he died. Joe Darke had incurred a minor concussion, and lay unconscious.
: What did you do?
: To be honest, I panicked.

: (Can't blame her, after all her sister must have gone through.)
: After that, I placed Darke under immediate arrest.
: Let me get this straight. You were all involved in the SL-9 Incident?
: That's right. Quite a coincidence, hmm?
: I don't buy it.

: W-what are you saying?
: There's no way everyone involved in this trial was also involved in that incident just by "chance."
: But that case was solved two years ago!

: Officer Marshall... Yes, his actions came as a surprise to me as well. Ever since his brother died, he's changed completely.
: I guess he wasn't convinced with the ruling against Joe Darke.
: ... Life doesn't end with the closing of a case.
: Everyone has to live the rest of their lives with their memories.
: That "case" just might not be over yet.
: !
: Ema was assaulted by Darke at the Police Department, right?
: Yes, in the office that Damon Gant and I shared. The office that Mr. Gant now occupies by himself:
: the Chief's office.
: (Maybe we should have a look at the Chief's office - the site of the final SL-9 murder!)

So, off to the police department.

: I don't see Detective Gumshoe anywhere.
: Things seem kinda quiet around here today.
: You're right. (The head of the department seems the same though.)
: Why don't we go look for some other people to talk to?
: Right. We can come back here later.

So we head outside.

: Howdy, Bambina.
: Oh, Mr. Marshall!
: I never thought things'd turn out this way when I woke up this morning.
: Que será será. You never know where life'll lead you, eh Bambina? I should've known my luck had run out when ol' Billy dried up this morning.
: Billy...?
: Must be his pet cactus. Say, where are you headed?
: Just over to the Prosecutor's Office for a little interrogation. It's a "voluntary" appearance,
: but we all know I won't be coming back. Sorry, but you can't go in the evidence room today, pardner.
: But Mr. Marshall...
: Why did you do it?
: Why do prospectors head west?
: If ever there was a case I needed to know the truth about, it was that one.
: Before you turn yourself in, Mr. Marshall... would you mind telling us exactly what happened?
: Hmph...
: Looks like I won't be getting a steak lunch today.

Next time: Questioning Marshall.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 31, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

]img]http://lpix.org/2571401/Ema_Focused.png[/img]: but before he could... Mr. Marshall tackled him.

You got a busted img tag here.

Also I said it a few post back, but after reading this update I realized that I remember absolutely nothing about this case, except for the final solution. It'll be fun to see how it develops.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh. That's... really a lot more open and shut than I thought.

You'd think they'd at least be able to get Darke's prints off the knife.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Joe Darke only wanted to live a quiet life.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Funky Valentine posted:

Joe Darke only wanted to live a quiet life.

He was a killer.
And maybe a bit of a drama queen.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

He was a killer.
And maybe a bit of a drama queen.

You might even say... a killer queen.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Mors Rattus posted:

: Que será será. You never know where life'll lead you, eh Bambina? I should've known my luck had run out when ol' Billy dried up this morning.
: Billy...?
: Must be his pet cactus. Say, where are you headed?

How in the hell do you dry up a cactus? They're natural containers of water! I was given a cactus in college, and I think it's still alive!

Wow.

vvv Well, OK then.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 31, 2017

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

resurgam40 posted:

How in the hell do you dry up a cactus? They're natural containers of water! I was given a cactus in college, and I think it's still alive!

Wow.

(It's his hip flask.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Maybe he's mixing up Texas with Australia?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mors Rattus posted:

: (Maybe IU should ask

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 5 - Rise From the Ashes
Investigation (Day 3) - Part 2

Time to question Jake Marshall.

: Something was fishy about that trial from the beginning. It wasn't just me either. All the detectives thought so.
: What do you mean, "fishy"?
: Some of the facts reported were inconsistent with the evidence we found. For example... the murder weapon.

: That was Joe Darke's, all right.
: But... in the initial autopsy report, a question was raised.
: A question...?
: The blade of the knife was not a perfect match with the wound the victim sustained.
: What does that mean?
: It means there is a good chance that knife was not the murder weapon.
: ...!
: However, in the report that was finally submitted, that possibility had been erased.
: (Could the facts have been concealed with forged evidence...?)
: That case left behind scars on all of us.
: The "scars" that the SL-9 Incident left behind...

: I had just made detective when it went down.
: It was our first case together...
: How old was he... your brother?
: He was 27 at the time.
: He was awarded the highest honor that very day.
: The... "highest honor"? You don't mean...

: (Not that again...)
: What are you looking at me like that for? That's an honor for a prosecutor!
: (Mr. Marshall must have really been close with his brother.)
: The day the SL-9 Incident took place,
: that wasn't the same day as...
: That's right. It was the day of the evidence transferal.
: ...! Interesting...
: It was drizzling that morning, and by nightfall there was thunder. I can't believe two years have gone by already.
: I tried to steal the evidence so the case wouldn't die.
: (Apparently someone tried to stop you. Detective Goodman was murdered... and the evidence locker was empty.)

: There was something going on behind the scenes in that case. We all knew that later. Every detective involved in that investigation, save one, was... taken care of.

: What about Detective Goodman?
: If they did something to him too, the commissioners would get suspicious.
: No, they were careful enough not to be too obvious.
: "They"...?
: Who are you talking about!?
: Don't get upset, Bambina.
: I mean Damon Gant... and Lana Skye.

: Chief Detective Damon Gant and his second-in-command, Lana Skye...

: That case was the biggest step in both of their careers.
: After the case ended, Lana transferred to the Prosecutor's Office, right?
: Yeah. Damon Gant, the new Chief of Police, arranged for that to happen.
: She's never been the same since she left.
: ?
: Everyone who knew her said so.
: "Chief Prosecutor Skye was totally different when she was a detective."
: (Now that he mentions it, Ema said something like that too...)
: Tell me... what happened to my sister!
: Sorry, Bambina, but her secret is too well guarded.
: I never found out.
: (Lana's "secret"... It all started two years ago.)

: So there you have it.
: That's my story. Did you enjoy it, pardner?
: It was certainly... enlightening.
: There's one thing for sure I found out in court today.
: That boy Edgeworth isn't my enemy.

: but someone else was the one who gave him that evidence and planned everything.

: Don't believe me? Well I don't blame you. I won't even be a patrolman after today.

: Too bad I won't be around to work with you...

: Adios Bambina!

He leaves. Time to head back inside.

: This place is always pretty empty, but today it's deserted.
: That must mean everyone's busy solving crimes.

: Uh... thanks. (Wow, he actually talked to us!)
: With the Chief Prosecutor saying what she did and the decision about what to do about Mr. Edgeworth, not to mention our statement to the media and tomorrow's trial... there's more chaos going on than Thanksgiving and Christmas put together!
: (I think "festive" is the word usually used for those...)
: Um, sir? We'd like to have a look around Chief Gant's office.
: Just head across the hall to the other building and take the elevator to the top floor.
: Really? You mean, it's okay for us to go in there?
: I mean, we aren't police officers or anything.
: Hey, you're right! You can't go in there! It's off limits!
: (Now I see where Detective Gumshoe gets his unique charm...)
: Well, what are we wating for? Let's head to the Chief's office!

...'wating'?

: In the Chief's office, silly! At least, that's what it said on the door.
: Check out that pipe organ. That's real, isn't it?
: Hey, I used to take organ lessons in kindergarten!
: They used to call me "Little Miss Bach." I thought I was a genius until they tried teaching me notes.
: I never could remember where C was...

: Chief Gant!

: So, Mr. Wright. Have you been swimming lately?
: Uh... no, I haven't. I've been kind of busy lately.
: I can appreciate that. I've had my hands full too, with Mr. Marshall's misconduct and Lana's provocative statement.
: "Provocative statement"... oh, you mean about the forged evidence.
: Two years have passed since that incident.
: My, how time flies!

: (So this is Mr. Marshall's brother... Prosecutor Neil Marshall...)
: We took it to commemorate our work together.
: ... (Something's not right with this picture. I can't seem to put my finger on it though...)

: Anyway, I'd like to reminisce all day, but there are matters that need my attention.
: I'm going to lock up here, so let's go out together.
: Oh... But this office...
: it was a crime scene two years ago, wasn't it?
: That case has long since been over. There's no need to investigate it any more.
: All the same, we'd still like to have a look around.
: Perhaps you didn't hear me.
: I said there's no need to investigate it any more.
: ...!
: Now hurry up and get out. I have a meeting to attend.

We are automatically deposited outside.

: It seems that case isn't over with yet, after all.
: What do you mean?
: Chief Gant denied our request to search the "crime scene." That means there must be a reason he doesn't want us looking around in there.
: You mean like, a clue!?
: (There's got to be a way we can get inside the Chief's office...)

From here, we have to head back into the police department.

: Hey, pal!
: Detective Gumshoe! Were you in a meeting?
: I was uh... just taking a breather. My feet hurt.
: From sitting so long in the meeting?
: Actually...
: I had to serve everyone coffee.
: (Sounds like Detective Gumshoe's still out of the loop...)
: Say, have either of you seen Mr. Edgeworth?
: Edgeworth? No. Why do you ask?
: He's under fire from both the Police Department and the Prosecutor's Office.
: It's almost like the battles between you two in court!
: That sounds serious...
: Is it because of what my sister said?
: That's basically what it all boils down to.
: That falsified evidence two years ago. Now Mr. Edgeworth has the whole world after his blood!
: Yikes...

We should ask about that.

: But why would Edgeworth be blamed? It's not like he knew the evidence was forged! Lana Skye is the guilty party here, isn't she?
: Regardless, the prosecutor is responsible for the evidence he presents in court.
: Not only that,

: Those who don't like him haven't been able to do anything because of his amazing talent as a prosecutor. But now with this...
: Are there really so many people who hate him?
: In our world, only those with talent rise to the top. Mr. Edgeworth not only had that,
: but he's young. There's no better recipe I know of for making enemies.
: Hey, Dick! Keep up the good work!
: Yes sir!
: Let's go out for lunch again sometime, my treat!
: You gotta take me back to that joint sometime, okay Dick?
: It seems you don't have any problem with enemies.
: Yeah, well... I'm careful not to stick out. Anyway, I'm a bit worried about him.
: Under all this pressure,
: I'm afraid Mr. Edgeworth just might crack.

: (He seems genuinely concerned for Edgeworth...) Well? Did you find out anything?
: The only evidence Darke left behind was during the final attack.
: His final attack? You mean...
: When he killed Prosecutor Marshall, who was trying to protect some girl.

: Me...
: (It seems Detective Gumshoe never realized Ema was the girl...)
: That's when he left the most incriminating evidence of all.
: Well? What was it?
: Oh, um, let's see... I think it had something to do with the murder weapon... ...

: (His powers of recollection never fail to impress.)
: Maybe we should show him the murder weapon.
: It might jog his memory!

But not yet.

: Joe Darke was 42 at the time of the crime. He was just your run-of-the-mill businessman.
: A businessman? What made him take to serial killing?
: One day on his way home from work, he hit someone with his car.
: With his car?
: So... it was an accident?
: An accident, yes. But it transformed him into an animal!
: An animal...

: A kid walked by just then, so he killed him too. Then, when he was burying the bodies, a jogger came upon the scene and was killed as well! Finally he turned himself in.
: Seems he was a pretty careless animal.
: Of course, this is all conjecture.
: There wasn't a single shred of evidence.
: So, he turned himself in...
: Yes, but in the middle of his questioning, he fled and murdered his final victim...

: That crime was witnessed by someone too, but fortunately he was arrested on the spot.
: It's a good thing that last witness wasn't killed.

: (That last "witness"... He must mean Ema...)

Now we present the broken knife.

: Hey! Don't tell me that's...
: It has a tag attached to it, with the label "SL-9 Incident" on it. I believe this would be the broken "murder weapon" you were speaking of?
: What are you doing with that!?
: Ever since that case was closed, that knife's been locked away in a locker.
: On the day Detective Goodman was murdered, this suddenly disappeared from the locker,

: That's it!
: Now I remember what that incriminating piece of evidence was!
: When you showed me that knife, it all came back to me!
: Well, what is it, Detective? Quick! Before you forget again!

: This knife... it was Joe Darke's, wasn't it?
: We traced it back to the store he bought it at, and it had his fingerprints on it too.
: But no one actually witnessed him using it to murder anyone, right?
: That's where his luck ran out.
: When you take a good look at the knife...
: you'll see it's broken!
: You don't have to take a good look to notice that.
: Yeah, well anyway!
: Take a guess where the broken-off tip of the knife was found.
: That's what did him in!
: Where was it?
: The victim, Neil Marshall was carrying it...
: inside his own body!
: !
: It was found deep inside the sab wound.

: You bet. Down to the last fiber.
: That's pretty... conclusive.

The knife gets updated with this info, plus a document from Gumshoe.

: Well, there you have it in a nutshell.
: That's all I know.
: Can I ask you one more thing?
: What is it? If it's money you need, you should ask Chief Gant.
: It's not money, but it does concern the Chief. His office is a "crime scene," right? It's where Prosecutor Neil Marshall was murdered...
: The Chief's out now, and his office is locked.
: but we'd like to have a look around if that's okay.
: Well, any Detective's ID card can unlock the door.
: What? Really?
: But if I let a civilian in there,
: I'd be charged with breach of trust.
: Breach of trust...?
: Simply put, I'd be canned.
: Oh...
: Sorry, pal.
: I don't plan on getting fired
: because of you.

: That won't work either. The data was deleted the day he died.
: Oh.
: (So in other words, Gumshoe is our only chance of getting into that office.)
: I wonder if there's something we could show him that would make him change his mind...

Next time: Maybe Edgeworth knows.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
And right here is where Gant goes from "goofy" to "oh god no" with that stare :stare:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Broken [b] on the very last line ("Next time").

Well, Damon's apparently untrustworthy, but I don't know what would motivate him to get involved in this crime. I guess we've got a few things going on here, and the coverup he's now very obviously orchestrating is one of 'em.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Why is Gant so into swimming?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

Excellent time to bond with the subordinates.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Phoenix and Ema are barging into his office uninvited, to pick through confidential files. Gant has every right to tell them to leave.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I forgot that Joe Darke literally was Yoshikage Kira. :allears:

Mzbundifund posted:

Everyone needs a hobby!

theshim posted:

And right here is where Gant goes from "goofy" to "oh god no" with that stare :stare:

Gant is great.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Oh my loving god I actually forgot Gant's got a loving pipe organ in his office :allears:

Also goddamn, Darke was a psycopath :stare: "Whoops, I accidentally killed this guy with my car, my bad. But that dude over there saw me! Gotta kill him too! Whoops! That lady saw me! No witnesses, gotta kill her too! And that kid! And that jogger!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

: Joe Darke was 42 at the time of the crime. He was just your run-of-the-mill businessman.
: A businessman? What made him take to serial killing?
: One day on his way home from work, he hit someone with his car.
: With his car?
: So... it was an accident?
: An accident, yes. But it transformed him into an animal!
: An animal...

: A kid walked by just then, so he killed him too. Then, when he was burying the bodies, a jogger came upon the scene and was killed as well! Finally he turned himself in.

I've always kinda had a problem with this. They build up Joe Darke as this evil, dark serial killer, but then when they talk about him, it sounds like he just had one bad day and got caught in a domino effect of taking out witnesses in a spree. I understand, though. Making him like a real serial killer would probably have skewn the game too dark for their targeted rating.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, after all the buildup they did by implying he was one nasty bastard, the actual revelation rings kind of hollow.

And somehow he went from "I just want to confess" to "whoops lol never mind, oh hey here's another vic--".

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, after all the buildup they did by implying he was one nasty bastard, the actual revelation rings kind of hollow.

And somehow he went from "I just want to confess" to "whoops lol never mind, oh hey here's another vic--".

I'm also kinda surprised that given the confession and known victims, there's not any other evidence tying him to the crimes.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Mikl posted:

Also goddamn, Darke was a psycopath :stare: "Whoops, I accidentally killed this guy with my car, my bad. But that dude over there saw me! Gotta kill him too! Whoops! That lady saw me! No witnesses, gotta kill her too! And that kid! And that jogger!"

I feel like Gumshoe needs to redefine his meaning of businessman, unless Darke just so happened to carry with him at least a shovel (for burying bodies) and some sharp/bludgeoning tools (presumably that knife he has for carrying out his accidental murder spree, of course) for his everyday work. Maybe he was actually a gardener/butcher?

Realistically, the killings should have happened over a longer period of time, but from the way Gumshoe described it, it sounded like a hilariously dark domino effect in a matter of minutes instead.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Waffleman_ posted:

I've always kinda had a problem with this. They build up Joe Darke as this evil, dark serial killer, but then when they talk about him, it sounds like he just had one bad day and got caught in a domino effect of taking out witnesses in a spree. I understand, though. Making him like a real serial killer would probably have skewn the game too dark for their targeted rating.

I imagine part of this is just because Gumshoe's the one telling us how it happened. Even then underneath the veneer of his casual explanation there's something rather messed up with 'oh no I accidentallied a crime time to make sure no one and I mean NO ONE knows it happened!'

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

"loving hell WHY WON'T YOU STOP DYING?!" -Joe Darke after his 5th murder in one hour

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

"loving hell WHY WON'T YOU STOP DYING?!" -Joe Darke after his 5th murder in one hour

It'd be even better if they were all accidents as well, or just manslaughter. Hit a jaywalker which kills him, lady who sees the accident has a heart attack and dies, kid skateboarding on by tries to avoid the lady and falls/breaks his neck, jogger falls into the open grave, etc...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

It'd be even better if they were all accidents as well, or just manslaughter. Hit a jaywalker which kills him, lady who sees the accident has a heart attack and dies, kid skateboarding on by tries to avoid the lady and falls/breaks his neck, jogger falls into the open grave, etc...

Mr. Bean finally gets the Hannibal treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Mikl posted:

Oh my loving god I actually forgot Gant's got a loving pipe organ in his office :allears:

I burst out laughing when I saw that. I know they're trying to build him up as sinister, but a literal PIPE ORGAN... it's really great.

• Locked thread